• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

12 step discussion thread Voice your opinions here!

In some parts of the country they have drug targeted 12 step meetings (aka Cocaine Anonymous), and you can always go to AA for your alcohol problems. AA is for alcohol, and they do not require you to quit all drugs. I wouldn't share about what you are using, but your problem with alcohol and what you want / need to help with that.

Hey LSD,

I can totally relate. I needed out of my problem drinking.

But I still planned to use drugs, namely "psychedelics". I view psychedelics more in line with Humphry Osmonds "To fathom Hell or soar angelic, just take a pinch of psychedelic" than the classical seretonergic sense. Thus I still use the same substances you listed, including: dissos, seretonergic psychs -both classical and "rc", and weed (mostly edibles because I feel high doses can also make me fathom hell or...haha).

Are there programs that dont preach 100% abstinence, I dunno? A lot of people I read/see still use caffeine and nicotine..soo haha... but something tells me psychs will be different. You could always just lie. Or avoid that part of the truth ... And just focus on your problem drugs.

I never went to meetings for my drinking. But sometimes I considered it. If only just to have someone IRL who could relate.
Its been a challenging year since I started really attempting to quit drinking and thus began posting a journal here but Im mostly off drinking.
Thanks IMO to my psychedelic experiences, which allowed me to see a different path and provided some relief to my anxiety along the way.

Anyways I guess what Im saying is that "sober" means something different to us all.
Good luck finding what works for you :)

AA is an abstinence-only cult, along with the offshoots. Grizzled old-timers will sneer at you if you still smoke weed, and some don't even like anti-depressants. But that attitude is slipping away I think, as the Big Book's 1930's attitudes finally fade.

No group is supposed to throw you out even if you show up drunk, they just ask that you sit quietly in the back (they will boot people that get rowdy). So don't come in high and reeking of weed and you'll be OK, depending on the group.

So there's absolutely no reason not to show up to them (while sober) to check them out, with a quick newcomer (they will ask) "I'm Lucid, from BL, trying to stay lucid, ha ha, I'm shy thanks" [sits down].

But the idea is that you are sober, trying to stay that way. Not using different, not-so-bad drugs and trying to get sober. I think the only thing you can be spared is the occasional tryptamine psychedelic, and weed if it hasn't escalated. Not because of group rules, but because the discussion just won't apply to you unless you're at the state you're trying to get to, and trying to keep it there. AA doesn't get you sober, it's meant to keep you sober (whether it works is a whole different thing).

Totally agree with scrofula, I wouldn't dream of going to AA to get clean, but I have thought about attending a few meetings to help me stay this way.

I go to AA and it's helped me a lot. That said, my medical issues as well as the details about my Higher Power, are none of their business. The Big Book, which I believe saved my life, outdated verbage and all, says things like the only requirement is a desire to stop drinking," "we are not doctors," and "we can use any conception of a God that works for us." One of the reasons I don't attend NA is I find them to be much more cult-ish than AA, particularly in the issue of medications. Not only do many groups not allow those on maintenance medications to fully participate, and not welcome them at all, some of what I refer to as the "Med-Feds" actually encourage people to stop taking the medication their doctors and psychiatrists have prescribed for them.

They don't say it twice in my presence, because my head starts whipping around in a circle like that kid in the Exorcist, my eyes get blood-red, and I start foaming at the mouth and looking for people to bite. That's sort of a joke, except the first part of the sentence--seriously, nobody says it in my presence in a meeting more than once unless they are actually LOOKING to get a public shaming. I had a sponsor who told me, at a time when I was struggling, that I couldn't find "the sunlight of the spirit" because of my antidepressants. I had failed so badly for so long, I listened to her. Long story short, I came within less than 60 seconds from taking my life. My roommate came home and talked me into doing some heroin instead, which isn't the best solution, but it beats the shit out of putting a gun in your mouth. Needless to say, she was no longer my sponsor!

Very few people in my AA group know that I'm on Suboxone. Very few know what it even is, and even the lady who is my sponsor today agrees that my medications, as long as I'm not abusing them, are my business. They do think everyone should do abstinence, and since you want to be abstinent from alcohol, everything else really is your own business. If it bothers you too much to not be able to be honest with the group, there probably are better groups for you. I live in a small town with few alternatives. I have no use for organized religion, at least the Abrahamic ones, Judaism, Islam, and most especially Christianity. I am studying Buddhism right now, or at least Buddhist meditation, with a Buddhist teacher. I don't feel a need to wear a spiritual "label" to describe my views, which come from many different belief systems. I've studied comparative religions for years, and when I find something that resonates with my, I pick it up and keep it. I just don't feel the need to adopt the label of the religion it came from, or accept any of the dogma of that religion.

It’s really good to hear about these experiences as I don’t know what I’m doing in support groups/ N/A. I’ve always been wary of any group therapy but anything to try and stay off the drugs right now. I’m still going to go, maybe I can find a more open minded group since I’m on prescribed meds. Even shamed by my own psych for being on benzos. What can you do.

Lop - what type of Buddhism are you studying? One side of my family is Buddhist. It’s an interesting practice and they seem to really be devoted to it.

In NA, the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop using. There are plenty of members who are still using, but want to be clean (from something). I don't think it's a problem that you're still using some drugs, though obviously some members are going to have different opinions on that. There can be strong personalities in meetings, and that is where I've always heard the sort of preachy, holier-than-thou, exclusive stuff coming from. You should know that not everybody thinks that way, and the loudest voice in the room doesn't speak for everyone, nor is what they say any more important than anyone else.

I had a pretty similar outlook as you when I started coming to meetings - I'd get clean from all the junk that was fucking up my life, but keep some psychedelics and whatnot around so I could get in touch with that part of myself when the time is right. I ended up dumping all the drugs I had after about 8 months of being clean because I felt like I didn't need it, and having anything around made me feel too stressed and guilty. I don't know if I will use psychedelics or MDMA in the future, but I know that I don't need to hold onto them now, physically or mentally.

Personally, I don't think it was any one drug that made my life miserable and chaotic, it was the belief that drugs were helping despite evidence to the contrary. I could deceive myself into taking anything if I believed it was going to help me at the time. It didn't always happen right away, but eventually that belief would drive me to pick up the "problem" drugs again. I think by reserving a place for psychedelics/MDMA in my mind, I left myself open for the unpredictable mindfuck that comes with conflict, stress, and tough emotions. At some point, I'm going to want to get high to deal with whatever is going on in life, and there's enough of a window there for me to go through with it.

Thanks all for the replies. I decided to go to SMART recovery after reading about its methods, while alot of what I hear about NA and AA seems not right for me. I bought the SMART book and am about half way through it now.

I think this is a good point to try this program because I've made some good progress on my own in terms of keeping use to the weekend only and ending physical dependency. Maybe it will be the catalyst to push recovery to completion.

Reading this book makes me realize how little i know about living life. I have no idea how to deal with negative emotions or problems since I have been doing drugs since teenage years to deal with emotions. I am feeling like i'm very behind developmentally to be in my mid 30s and have no such experience dealing with problems in a healthy way.

I had to go out to my car to get money to buy the book and when I came back in I started talking to the facilitator alone. He brought up that hes done all drugs and he mentioned LSD and mushrooms specifically. I figured this was as a good a time as any to bring up the issue of this thread. He said "just take one thing at a time, focus on staying abstinent from hard drugs/alcohol/weed (my biggest compulsions) first, then deal with your issues with psychedelics. You have everything you need in life already to be happy and stay clean without the help of psychedelics which although might have some positives, can also get you into legal trouble or danger"

I had a pretty similar outlook as you when I started coming to meetings - I'd get clean from all the junk that was fucking up my life, but keep some psychedelics and whatnot around so I could get in touch with that part of myself when the time is right. I ended up dumping all the drugs I had after about 8 months of being clean because I felt like I didn't need it, and having anything around made me feel too stressed and guilty. I don't know if I will use psychedelics or MDMA in the future, but I know that I don't need to hold onto them now, physically or mentally.

What exactly was stressful to you about having them around after quitting Grinders? i don't know how long you've been clean in all but even the 8 months you spoke of seems crazy to me so congrats on your accomplishments.

I tell myself I need them around. I tell myself that there is something wrong with me mentally, that I am too negative and can't be happy unless I hit the reset button every now and then with psychs so that I can realize how toxic my negative thinking is. But if I'm being honest, I know how toxic it is without tripping and I know whats right and wrong without them, maybe its just more subtle when sober. Am i cheating myself out of learning to deal with my negative thinking under my own power only, without the aid of psychs? Am I truly gaining anything extra from them?

The other reason I think I might still want them around because I romanticize them in my mind so much. the science behind them, the effects, the memories of good times on them, the revelations about life. They are drugs I know have changed my life for the better...but does that mean i STILL need/want them? I guess I still want them for entertainment purposes as well, to spice up an otherwise boring life every now and then rather than just accept that life is boring

Last edited:
Euphoria only occurs during a lack of negative emotions. All euphoriants are essentially emotional painkillers that take away negative feelings for a temporary period of time. Addicts are more so addicted to the escapism (I personally believe only mentally ill suffer from drug addiction and that it's a symptom of a larger problem leading to escapist behavior.

What exactly was stressful to you about having them around after quitting Grinders? i don't know how long you've been clean in all but even the 8 months you spoke of seems crazy to me so congrats on your accomplishments.

It represented part of another lifestyle, and something that I wasn't willing to let go of for a while. I had always held out on psychedelics when trying to remain clean in the past, and I can't say it was ever to my benefit - I know for a fact that I alienated myself to a number of people because I wasn't willing to give up getting high on something. I was convinced that other people were full of shit and that I should be allowed to use psychedelics for spiritual purposes or whatever I was telling myself. There were a few times throughout the first 8 months of my current recovery where I really felt like taking some psychedelic, but I knew that it wasn't appropriate or necessary, and I was ultimately only seeking a fix to my problems. It felt deceitful and dishonest, something that I was keeping to myself because I didn't trust anyone else and felt like I knew better.

I tell myself I need them around. I tell myself that there is something wrong with me mentally, that I am too negative and can't be happy unless I hit the reset button every now and then with psychs so that I can realize how toxic my negative thinking is. But if I'm being honest, I know how toxic it is without tripping and I know whats right and wrong without them, maybe its just more subtle when sober. Am i cheating myself out of learning to deal with my negative thinking under my own power only, without the aid of psychs? Am I truly gaining anything extra from them?

The other reason I think I might still want them around because I romanticize them in my mind so much. the science behind them, the effects, the memories of good times on them, the revelations about life. They are drugs I know have changed my life for the better...but does that mean i STILL need/want them? I guess I still want them for entertainment purposes as well, to spice up an otherwise boring life every now and then rather than just accept that life is boring

I had a lot of the same thoughts and doubts. For me, there was nothing that psychedelics could teach me when I wasn't really living life at all. After a while, all my trips became either superficial and lacking introspection or else horribly traumatic and confusing. I still hold a place in my heart for the psychedelic experience and where it's taken me, but I've resigned to the fact that they don't fit into my life right now.

is it possible or practical to quit certain classes of drugs and keep using others?

Ive been curious about meetings to address my problem drinking, over-use of weed, and balancing act of trying to use gaba drugs and opioids as much as possible without becoming fully dependent again (i've been very deep into hard opiates but these days not dependent).

The thing that stops me is that i don't think i belong there if I know in my heart I will continue psychedelic, mdma and disso use. These are drugs i've been able to sit on and never had a problem with overdosing or overusing. I do not want to quit them. But i acknowledge that I could start abusing these drugs (especially dissos) if eliminated alcohol, pot, and pills from my life. Because i'm addicted to not being sober, not neccesarily to a drug of choice.

Im worried the people there will tell me to get lost until i decide i really want to stop ALL drugs. What am i supposed to say, "hi my name is lucid dreamer, i want to stop drinking but keep taking acid trips each month?"

so i just continue trying to navigate this lifestyle by myself and have no where to turn.

AA seems to be a little better than NA (at least in terms of their officially published material) when it comes to medications. That said, it doesn't seem many 12 step groups really understand much about medicine or medications. Some meetings (the Pacific Group) argue that taking psych meds precludes someone from making progress in recovery. Most people in most meeting argue that using ORT to get off opioids precludes making progress in recovery.

There isn't any truth to that, although perhaps it is built upon a small kernel.

Some meetings will be a lot better than others in terms of compassion, large/open mindedness and a less judgmental vibe. When I was exploring that scene around 2010, I couldn't find a single meeting like that, but do hear they exist.

I have this tendency to try and take things as their offered, in their entirety. This made 12 step meetings really hard for me. As other have said, the loudest in the rooms are often those still deep in their own shit (it's a sad irony at best).

I did make another concerted effort a few years later, first when I was taking buprenorphine and then when I was on methadone. You see, even if I fundamentally disagreed with much of their orthodoxy surrounding addiction, I was still desperate to learn about "traditional abstinence." I'd figured out their stance on ORT (well, the vast majority's stance), so I never advertised that I was either taking meds or what med I was taking - I mean, it isn't their business and as long as the med isn't being totally misused it's not related to their more behavioral program.

Point is, I was able to eventually leave the bad and take the good (although I hate that expression - it was more like I was able to laugh off the bad from sticking to my heart while remaining aware of whatever remaining wisdom they did have to offer). Part of that going into it I was pretty familiar with what to expect; another part was that I'd by then gotten my shit pretty well figured out and I was generally more stable than I was originally; and the final part is that I was taking appropriately prescribed meds I benefited from (methadone, etc).

I actually have more fond memories than not of the last meeting I went to regularly for maybe six months. I had no interest in finding a sponsor, for a number of reasons (one being I simply have zero desire to work the steps as they have been presented to me, and it's hard to find people who don't just toe the conventional wisdom with it), but I did enjoy the comradery of the people who showed up.

I noticed a big different in the social "quality" of folks' recovery - folks who got there early (this was a 6am meeting) to open/set up tended to attract a more developed crowd, where it was folks who were new or more so struggling who hung around more so afterwards. That is just to say, I was able to identify people I shared something (however small) in common with and associate more with them than the people who presented as more than I wanted to deal with.

Back on topic now, I think what you're really asking about is about the distinction between addiction, abstinence, sobriety and recovery.

Addiction is defined (poorly) many different ways, but my favorite definition these days revolves around overwhelming involvement that results in psychosocial dislocation - that is, whatever the opposite of a healthy sense of self, a sense of wholeness, and meaningful integration in one or more communities.

With this in mind, there are many ways to approach how you address the challenges of addiction, but it's safe to say they're be all about personal development (aka psychological integration) and social development (social integration). And THAT is to say that there are an infinite number of ways someone can find the means for ongoing personal and interpersonal growth. Actually, addiction is one of those adaptive strategies, although clearly it's something you want to get away from (specifically, from the harm you've come to know associated with your experience of addiction).

Abstinence it a little more straightforward (a lot actually). First of all, there are different types of abstinence.

There is "total abstinence" or "abstinence only" perspectives (although they often seem to come off as ideology), which argues you aren't "truly" abstinent unless one stops using all mind altering substances. There are soooooo many problems with this. Given that our brains produce all the mind altering substances we get "high" from on their own (according to primarily environmental factors), what the heck do they mean by "drug?" And what about the kinds of behaviors that create those same intense highs folks associate more with drug use? No one is suggesting anyone abstain from eating food.

Then there is how I like to think of abstinence. My understanding is that abstinence is that it's substance or behavior specific. I considered myself abstinent when I was on methadone, because I was using heroin/etc. I have no time for someone who tells me I wasn't abstinence while on ORT, because I can prove I was via all those fun UAs hehe

It's possible to practice abstinence from particular behaviors or substances and still make meaningful progress in recovery/personal development. It isn't just the drugs (or even the behaviors) that are what's really the issue with addiction, so the overwhelming obsession with whether or not someone is abstinent isn't so helpful. After all, even most 12 steppers would agree that the drug use/behavior is a symptom of the more significant, global issues someone's struggling with.

Addiction sometimes involves drug use, but even when it does it's only one layer to the proverbial onion that makes up an "addictive complex".

Sobriety is a fun one for me. In my mind, sobriety is first and foremost a state of mind or being. It is equanimous, cautious but not overwhelmingly afraid, open yet also oriented around boundaries. It all depends upon how the drugs are being used or the associated behaviors involved - namely to the degree they're harmful to self/others - but drug use in and of itself does not preclude someone from thinking or acting from a sober place.

People often confuse abstinence and sobriety, but they are distinct things. Abstinence is the state of whether or not one is using a particular drug or engaging in particular behaviors. Sobriety is essentially an aspect of character that isn't limited simply by whether not someone uses something - I mean if using something mean comatose drug use, then perhaps sober isn't the best word. But just using a substance doesn't preclude anyone from sobriety - or even abstinence.

My recovery started before I really became someone who practiced abstinence (in any form), before I had been able to develop a more sober minded character. Recovery is more a developmental process and journey of self discovery, resiliency, learning, growing and learning to skillfully face challenges than anything related to drug use per se. Sometimes drugs might be involved to whatever degree, but even drug addiction goes way beyond the drug taking aspect.

Now, the question is, will meetings help you? They may, they may not. You won't know unless you give it a good solid try. Whatever works works - maybe meetings/12 step stuff will, maybe it won't. Maybe it will be more helpful later on, or maybe you'll never find it useful for you. There is no wrong answer here. It IS NOT as simple as "it works if you work it." That is subtle marketing.

The other question seems to be about entheogens. My question would be why? If you feel uncomfortable using certain drugs, you probably are best served by listening to your intuition. You'll always be able to take them down the road if you feel it's more appropriate later on.

Certain entheogens seem to be more useful in particular populations. For instance, folks with depression and opioid use disorder tend to benefit quite well from some dissociatives or dissociative like substances. People who's have really difficult experiences of trauma tend to do well with MDMA pharmacotherapy, etc. LSD, mushrooms, and pretty much every other entheogen has its place. The trick is, if want to explore using them to assist your process in recovery, is what is best to focus on exploring.

That means you need to explore what you need first, before trying to integrate them into your recovery. And exploring your needs is a huge part of recovery more generally. Like addiction, it isn't going to be the entheogen that enhances you recovery - how you relate to the entheogenic experience will be what has an impact on your recovery. If you train yourself, do your homework, and just keep trying and exploring different things in your recovery, you'll be more able to get the most out of an entheogen if you ever do decided to try that kind of work.

AA is an abstinence-only cult, along with the offshoots. Grizzled old-timers will sneer at you if you still smoke weed, and some don't even like anti-depressants. But that attitude is slipping away I think, as the Big Book's 1930's attitudes finally fade.

No group is supposed to throw you out even if you show up drunk, they just ask that you sit quietly in the back (they will boot people that get rowdy). So don't come in high and reeking of weed and you'll be OK, depending on the group.

So there's absolutely no reason not to show up to them (while sober) to check them out, with a quick newcomer (they will ask) "I'm Lucid, from BL, trying to stay lucid, ha ha, I'm shy thanks" [sits down].

But the idea is that you are sober, trying to stay that way. Not using different, not-so-bad drugs and trying to get sober. I think the only thing you can be spared is the occasional tryptamine psychedelic, and weed if it hasn't escalated. Not because of group rules, but because the discussion just won't apply to you unless you're at the state you're trying to get to, and trying to keep it there. AA doesn't get you sober, it's meant to keep you sober (whether it works is a whole different thing).

Well said.

Lucid, please do yourself a favor and don't mention BL or harm reduction at a meeting (especially not publicly) - most people at most meetings will immediately give you the evil eye ;)

Now, if you're a glutton for punishment and messing with people like me, go for it %)

It can be fun messing with people in meetings by challenging some of their uncritical beliefs sometimes. It may even help you find the few like minded people who may or may not be at the same meeting - or it just end up with you totally ostracized from the group...

I go to AA and it's helped me a lot. That said, my medical issues as well as the details about my Higher Power, are none of their business. The Big Book, which I believe saved my life, outdated verbage and all, says things like the only requirement is a desire to stop drinking," "we are not doctors," and "we can use any conception of a God that works for us." One of the reasons I don't attend NA is I find them to be much more cult-ish than AA, particularly in the issue of medications. Not only do many groups not allow those on maintenance medications to fully participate, and not welcome them at all, some of what I refer to as the "Med-Feds" actually encourage people to stop taking the medication their doctors and psychiatrists have prescribed for them.

They don't say it twice in my presence, because my head starts whipping around in a circle like that kid in the Exorcist, my eyes get blood-red, and I start foaming at the mouth and looking for people to bite. That's sort of a joke, except the first part of the sentence--seriously, nobody says it in my presence in a meeting more than once unless they are actually LOOKING to get a public shaming. I had a sponsor who told me, at a time when I was struggling, that I couldn't find "the sunlight of the spirit" because of my antidepressants. I had failed so badly for so long, I listened to her. Long story short, I came within less than 60 seconds from taking my life. My roommate came home and talked me into doing some heroin instead, which isn't the best solution, but it beats the shit out of putting a gun in your mouth. Needless to say, she was no longer my sponsor!

Very few people in my AA group know that I'm on Suboxone. Very few know what it even is, and even the lady who is my sponsor today agrees that my medications, as long as I'm not abusing them, are my business. They do think everyone should do abstinence, and since you want to be abstinent from alcohol, everything else really is your own business. If it bothers you too much to not be able to be honest with the group, there probably are better groups for you. I live in a small town with few alternatives. I have no use for organized religion, at least the Abrahamic ones, Judaism, Islam, and most especially Christianity. I am studying Buddhism right now, or at least Buddhist meditation, with a Buddhist teacher. I don't feel a need to wear a spiritual "label" to describe my views, which come from many different belief systems. I've studied comparative religions for years, and when I find something that resonates with my, I pick it up and keep it. I just don't feel the need to adopt the label of the religion it came from, or accept any of the dogma of that religion.

I like how you have made the 12 step stuff work for you. You certainly sound as if you have a healthy sense of self empowerment going on, and that's not something to be taken for granted when it comes to recovery work.

My other thought reading your post is that it would so enhance the AA community if only more people actually read, understood and worked to integrate the Big Book in everyday life - not just meetings or treatment centers.

It’s really good to hear about these experiences as I don’t know what I’m doing in support groups/ N/A. I’ve always been wary of any group therapy but anything to try and stay off the drugs right now. I’m still going to go, maybe I can find a more open minded group since I’m on prescribed meds. Even shamed by my own psych for being on benzos. What can you do.

Lop - what type of Buddhism are you studying? One side of my family is Buddhist. It’s an interesting practice and they seem to really be devoted to it.

My turn to ask - what's your family's buddhist heritage? There are a lot of good buddhist oriented recovery groups these days, although most of them seem to be a buddhist take on 12 step stuff, which isn't really gonna do much to change the dire status of addiction's status quo.

In NA, the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop using. There are plenty of members who are still using, but want to be clean (from something). I don't think it's a problem that you're still using some drugs, though obviously some members are going to have different opinions on that. There can be strong personalities in meetings, and that is where I've always heard the sort of preachy, holier-than-thou, exclusive stuff coming from. You should know that not everybody thinks that way, and the loudest voice in the room doesn't speak for everyone, nor is what they say any more important than anyone else.

Personally, I don't think it was any one drug that made my life miserable and chaotic, it was the belief that drugs were helping despite evidence to the contrary. I could deceive myself into taking anything if I believed it was going to help me at the time. It didn't always happen right away, but eventually that belief would drive me to pick up the "problem" drugs again. I think by reserving a place for psychedelics/MDMA in my mind, I left myself open for the unpredictable mindfuck that comes with conflict, stress, and tough emotions. At some point, I'm going to want to get high to deal with whatever is going on in life, and there's enough of a window there for me to go through with it.

This is one of the reasons I can't stand most abstinence oriented recovery groups. In public before the group members disparage addiction and drug use, but after the meeting you get to talking to them about how they use cannabis, psychedelics, kratom, etc...

It isn't the contradiction that bugs me - it's how they hide it and present an imagine that is one thing on stage and another in their personal lives. I mean, I get the branding thing (especially living near Hollywood), but these are recovery groups. It's about growth, development and recovery from addiction, not presentation. Are you here to help yourself by helping others or to help yourself feel better by deceiving others?

It's no surprise to me that literature says one thing and people do another - human nature is all about contrary action. But I only have so much tolerance for the uncritical, groupthink vibe (which seems to be built into the structure of meetings, sadly).

Last edited by a moderator:
My turn to ask - what's your family's buddhist heritage? There are a lot of good buddhist oriented recovery groups these days, although most of them seem to be a buddhist take on 12 step stuff, which isn't really gonna do much to change the dire status of addiction's status quo.

Korean Buddhism, or Tongbulgyo.
I took a quick glance at some Buddhist recovery programs, though like you said it doesn't seem to differ much in terms of 12 step.

Great to hear your take on the programs, and hearing similar opinions. Thanks for sharing all that.

Last edited:
Korean Buddhism, or Tongbulgyo.
I took a quick glance at some Buddhist recovery programs, though like you said it doesn't seem to differ much in terms of 12 step.

Great to hear your take on the programs, and hearing similar opinions. Thanks for sharing all that.

Hey very cool; I've been making some Chinese Mahayana friends recently.

Because people are asking *bump*

I was just thinking about this when I logged on earlier today :)

Thanks for the reminder where this thread is!

I'm just going to bump my own personal opinion again within the thread though I'm sure if I go back enough pages, I'll find it. I think that approaching everything in life as a cafeteria that you are free to choose from is a very harmonious way to live. Institutions change with the ease that aircraft carriers turn a 180 and yet any change that does happen comes from two sources: either dissent from within (which means people are committed enough to want to change what they don't like) or a decrease in popularity (members). Unfortunately AA/NA as an institution is the only game in town for most Americans so it doesn't have to worry about the latter (many are forced to go by the courts); but the former holds great promise. People on SSRIs spoke out enough to have finally dented that stigma, people on maintenance are starting to crack one of the biggest stigmas and eventually I predict that abstinence only will be a personal choice even within AA. AA/NA philosophy has much to offer. The 12 steps are life skills that can be internalized to benefit your whole life--not just recovery from a drug dependence.

I took what made sense to me from Al-anon, spoke up honestly for what I did not agree with in meetings, asked questions, weighed answers and left when I could get nothing more from the group interactions while feeling extremely grateful for what I did take away. Met some great people, saw both incredible depth of understanding and outright idiocy in the same meetings. Needless to say, the idiocy held nothing for me so rather than waste my time and energy engaging too much with it, I turned more towards those that had something real to offer at a very vulnerable time in my life. I always try to go into anything looking for bridges between disparate viewpoints, looking for places where unity can occur and looking for ways to both get and give support because when you get right down to it, everyone there is there to try to stay sane and try to stay alive.

AA / NA is the real deal and has helped many people and saved many peoples lives... they don't have time to dick around with people who go around boasting about still smoking weed or taking methadone.... its for people who want to be CLEAN.... when I was getting sober , it helped me get through rehab.

AA / NA is the real deal and has helped many people and saved many peoples lives... they don't have time to dick around with people who go around boasting about still smoking weed or taking methadone.... its for people who want to be CLEAN.... when I was getting sober , it helped me get through rehab.

Sounds to me like you represent exactly the narrow mindedness people hate about 12 step groups.

Which is a shame cause it doesn't have to be that way.

I will agree 12 step programs help A lot of people, but as Jess pointed out, they are full of narrow minded people. And I know personally when I think recovery I think twelve step, and I know that kept me from seeking help for a long time.

^See, don't take my hatred, or other negative views, as a reason/excuse not to go to a meeting.

AA is more than just the steps, and groups are all different. They will not brainwash you instantly when you walk in the door. You're supposed to shop around anyway.

And it might work for you.

To quote one of AA/NA' s own methods: "Take what works. If it doesn't help you, leave it." 95% of things said in meetings don't help me. But I still occasionally go for that 5%. I go for the people who have lessons of their own, unrelated to 12 steps, to teach.

I don't like "if you don't follow OUR way, you WILL relapse and die" what a horrible mindset for those who already have with issues with black and white thinking. I don't like the absolutism of "You are powerless"... then how the fuck do I recover? The 12 steps enter my body and do it for me? No. Fuck that. We have the power. We just haven't been honing and using it.

My biggest problem is this: "Higher power", "spirituality", or "god" is in steps 2,3,5,6,7,11,12. That is literally the majority of the program based on "Higher power"... This program was made for those who like the "god" paradigm already. If you don't, how could you possibly work a program if you don't understand 7/12 steps?

12 steps isn't right for me. For many it can be damaging with their extremely polarized thinking, full of absolutes and refusal to compromise. That being said, every single one of us can and should learn a thing or two from meetings. If it doesn't apply to you, ignore it. But keep listening, really listening, because one day one of those abnoxious, cliche sayings might click and make you see the world completely different.

Last edited: