• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

12 step discussion thread Voice your opinions here!

I like their saying if you hang around a barbershop you are eventually going to get a haircut, it can be applied how I feel about there meetings/steps. I have no problems with recovery groups AA/NA helped me get clean, no doubt in that. The main reason being it gave me something positive to do and filled up dead time.

That is where my praise ends though. There are a lot of sick people in those rooms that say they are getting better but they are still just fucked up. It creates an unhealthy environment. I found that I would be thinking to myself, if you keep going to these meetings and surrounding yourself with these fucked up relationships and people it is eventually going to start to wear off onto you and you will never be able to stay clean. So I left and haven't looked back. Still clean.

^ There is certainly a lot of people who say they are doing work, or that they are recovering. I think its a personal responsibility to pick and choose who you want to be in your support group, and who you want to be your sponsor.

For myself I went to the support group referred to as 'big book thumpers' in vancouver because they were strictly out of the big book and very knowledgeable. I went through my steps the same way as the first 100, and I could not be more thankful for the guidance I received.

if i do ever sober up i know for me i'd have to go to AA and work the steps i couldn't do it through will power to me the idea is redonkulus

I didn't say you said that. I meant that in society there often seems to exist a false dichotomy between 12-step programs or nothing. I was just wondering if maybe you'd bought into that idea a little because you said you'd tried and failed at "sheer will-power" and wouldn't be able to stay clean without AA/NA.

I'm not offended :). I just didn't think it was helpful to make the assumption that "Most people who rip on the program are just close minded and have problems with they're egos". You wouldn't like it if someone said something like that about "Most people who promote the program" right? Thanks for explaining your views more. It's nice to have civil discussion about these kinds of things.

Also another point is that there are also ways to recover from addiction outside of organized recovery programs. For example my support system is my doctor, my partner, my family/friends, self-help books, Bluelight, etc. But IME some people don't seem to support the idea of doing it outside of a structured recovery format like meetings or rehab, or think that it is impossible.

I agree with you that it's harmful to believe that admitting you need help means you are weak and I think that we do need help in some form in order to succeed. Just like life in general actually :). We should all help each other more in my opinion.

I see what you're saying, I definitely dont believe that AA is the only way, but you are right, many people think that way. I totally agree with the help thing, this is such a difficult disease to deal with on your own, I know if I would have kept the mindset that I can do this alone that I would be dead before I hit 25, I know many people that have died from keeping that mindset.

^ good point. To many friends lost here to.

Sometimes we just need to ask for help :).

after this and other AA/NA threads I am done. went to a meeting last night and could no longer ignore the fact that it is brain washing.. im doing great in sobriety and dont need an anonoumuse cult to guide my way.. I'll follow my heart and I already new how to live.

I completely get your frustration, believe me I do. I have many, many friends who feel exactly the way you do, and that is absolutely OK. That being said, we should acknowledge that AA/NA have been a great help to millions of people and is still the only option for many. We here in the Recovery Forums (and Bluelight in general) refuse to favor one system or ideology over another. From reading your comments I would echo the sentiments of others in this thread that SMART recovery (aka "Rational Recovery") might be an excellent alternative for you. Many who have become dismayed or disenchanted with the "traditional 12 step systems" have found great refuge in SMART, and come out of their first meeting blown away at the common sense, "rational" approach to the challenge of addiction.

Here's a link to the SMART website: http://www.smartrecovery.org/

SMART even offer online "meetings" if you're wanting to test the waters. If you do give it a shot, please do us a favor and return here with your thoughts and feedback. I, for one, would appreciate it, as would others.

Best,

SG

Finding the right meetings is incredibly important. It can take a while before you do and be very discouraging, but once you do you can appreciate it much more instead of constantly just battling it mentally because you're not in the right room, and trust me, they are very different even though they are all under the guise of AA/NA.

I completely get your frustration, believe me I do. I have many, many friends who feel exactly the way you do, and that is absolutely OK. That being said, we should acknowledge that AA/NA have been a great help to millions of people and is still the only option for many. We here in the Recovery Forums (and Bluelight in general) refuse to favor one system or ideology over another. From reading your comments I would echo the sentiments of others in this thread that SMART recovery (aka "Rational Recovery") might be an excellent alternative for you. Many who have become dismayed or disenchanted with the "traditional 12 step systems" have found great refuge in SMART, and come out of their first meeting blown away at the common sense, "rational" approach to the challenge of addiction.

Here's a link to the SMART website: http://www.smartrecovery.org/

SMART even offer online "meetings" if you're wanting to test the waters. If you do give it a shot, please do us a favor and return here with your thoughts and feedback. I, for one, would appreciate it, as would others.

Best,

SG

Thank You SG.. I have noticed others posting about this approach to addiction and have some curiosity as to their approach... Absolutely, I will check it out and share my thoughts.. I hope you are doing well today... Oh, and I fully acknowledge that the twelve steps, as well as the fellowships, have helped and saved a truly astonishing amount of people from terrible ends. I feel this way so strongly that I am working the steps , with a real sponsor, as part of my recovery.

I personally never enjoyed AA/NA, but it did help me to hear stories from fellow addicts and realize that I needed to turn my life around before I ended up like them. Of course this was when I was younger, and I ended up becoming those people that I disdanfully looked upon. I am a year sober from opiates now and it still helps to hear stories from others and thank God that I am no longer in that same boat.

Met some interesting people speak such as a founding member of the infamous gang the Crips and the pilot from the movie Blow.

It's fine that you want to quit AA because of imcompatible values, but make sure you have a support system of some kind in your life so that you don't fall back into substance abuse again. The main reason why AA works for people is because it provides the community that addicts often lack. They end up self-isolating, which makes them turn to substances to fill the void.

For myself, I sometimes go through suicidal levels of depression. It's less and less these days, but maybe once a year I'll feel a couple of weeks where I'm so low that I can't even think. I have an emergency envelope with a piece of paper and a bit of cash in it. The piece of paper lists all the things I can do, healthy things that make me feel good, and reminders of which friends have unconditional agreed to help me when I'm down. It lists easy but nutritious foods I can go buy, places that I enjoy visiting, and basically all "good things" I can possibly look into. All I have to do is open up the envelope and do what's on the list -- it doesn't even require me to think.

Having something like that around can help you when you are down and out.

The AA model of total sobriety is not right (or realistic) for everyone. The bad thing about alcohol is that you can't turn on the TV or walk down the street without seeing it. Only you know if you're capable of using in moderation. From your post it sounds like that's an unlikely scenario, but I don't know OP at all.

I'd say quit completely if you haven't already. Then, after being totally sober for a year or so, you'll be in a better position to decide if it's truly "worth it" or not.

A major part of being a heroin addict is networking with other users. And unfortunately I (and others) always got myself into trouble getting high with people from the rooms. It is hard to shake that junkie desire to try another junkie's stuff.

Right now I couldn't get it where I am if you gave me 10000$. I have little doubt this would change after a few weeks doing the meeting circuit. AA is a diuble-edged sword for me.

Everyone's different.

I know if I took a drink, I'd be cool for a while, but it would slowly progress until I get drunk one night and use my drug of choice.

It sounds like you need to find out if you are a real alcoholic. Bargaining is a classic sign as is obsessing over the number of drinks you can have.

All I can say is that I truly hope you are either a normal drinker or that your experiment doesn't kill you and you make it back to sobriety again. Always know that there is a seat open for you.

Giving up my own will was one of the best things I've ever done. Its just letting go and trusting that there is something out there bigger than you that loves you and wants to see you happy.

Now whenever life gets at all rough I can just let it go and say, "this is out of my hands." This isn't walking away from problems. Rather it is understanding that I have no control over them. The only thing I have to do in life is show up and try my best.

Giving up my own will was one of the best things I've ever done. Its just letting go and trusting that there is something out there bigger than you that loves you and wants to see you happy.

Now whenever life gets at all rough I can just let it go and say, "this is out of my hands." This isn't walking away from problems. Rather it is understanding that I have no control over them. The only thing I have to do in life is show up and try my best.

I love the way you put this. I see my 'higher power' as my future self--the self that wants me to be happy, at peace and living with acceptance. I see it this way not just for dealing with addiction but for every choice I make in life, from my relationships to my exercise habits.

All of the steps but particularly 10, 11, and 12 are a lifelong practice. It is very difficult to practice step 12 without going to meetings. It reads, "... We carried the message to other alcoholics...". This basically means you will always be going to meetings and sponsorsing people. Quitting your DOC is the tip of the iceberg. If that is the only thing you get out of recovery then you have really short changed yourself.

I am and always have been spiritual and I was raised religious. Going to AA meetings and getting sober was not spiritually revelatory for me and my life did change but not spiritually or in a religious way.

I am against AA/NA and 12 step programs since to me they are like a cult or substitute addiction based on groupthink, caffeine, and sugar. Ever notice how they serve coffee and sugary junk food at pretty much every AA/NA meeting? Or how in literature like the book "Living Sober" they tell you to eat sugary things when you have cravings for alcohol or your drugs of choice, or as a reward. People who have totally swallowed the AA flavorade/Kool-Aid will tell you that if you do not go to AA then you are not really sober, that you are a "dry drunk", headed for a relapse, and I have had some AA people tell me when I stopped going to meetings that I was going to die.

Is AA a cult?:

Here's something I wrote for a similar question:

When they told me that if I left I would die, I had my first doubts about the program.

I call it cult-like or cult-lite, mainly because if I call it a cult, people stop listening and there's no chance of dialog.

AA historian Dick B calls it a beneficial cult. Harvard professor, researcher, and former member of AA's Board of Trustees, George Vaillant said:

"In a balanced review Nace 1992 has examined some facets of AA that attracts criticism. First because of its idealogical nature members are not encouraged to take a scientific or dissionate approach to the study of its effiacy. Personally based loyalty to the ideology of AA comes into conflict with the empiricism of the research community.

Second AA does not hold opinions, individual members like any partisan group can be extremely and erreonously opinionated.

Third , AA certainly functions as a cult and indoctrinates its members in ways common to cults the world over."
"The Natural History of Alcoholism Revisited", pages p. 266

AA critic Orange suggests that it is a cult:
Alcoholics Anonymous as a Cult & The Cult Test:
http://www.orange-papers.org/

Whether it is a cult or not is irrelevant. Is it a destructive cult? It does seem to meet the criteria set by Lipton for a a destructive cult:
Milieu Control
Mystical Manipulation
Demand for Purity
The Cult of Confession
The "Sacred Science"
Loading the Language
Doctrine Over Person
Dispensing of Existence
http://www.csudh.edu/dearhabermas/aacultbk01.htm

Also: http://www.positiveatheism.org/rw/ofcourse.htm

Other methods or groups besides AA that are not 12 steps?:

SOS:
http://www.sossobriety.org/

SMART:
http://www.smartrecovery.org/

LifeRing:
http://www.unhooked.com/index.htm

WFS:
http://www.womenforsobriety.org/

RR:
http://www.rational.org/

Harm Reduction for alcohol:
http://hamsnetwork.org/

And with all those options, the majority of people, 80%, quit on their own.

"Another estimate is that at least 50% of alcoholics eventually free themselves although only 10% are ever treated. One recent study found that 80% of all alcoholics who recover for a year or more do so on their own, some after being unsuccessfully treated. When a group of these self-treated alcoholics was interviewed, 57% said they simply decided that alcohol was bad for them. Twenty-nine percent said health problems, frightening experiences, accidents, or blackouts persuaded them to quit. Others used such phrases as "Things were building up" or "I was sick and tired of it." Support from a husband or wife was important in sustaining the resolution."
Treatment of Drug Abuse and Addiction — Part III, The Harvard Mental Health Letter, October 1995.

Personally, I feel that all those groups are great for those who have been through AA and have had it pounded into their heads that they NEED a group in order to quit. That's wrong, but AA has been very successful in getting people to believe that piece of misinformation.

Being around others for support can be a good thing, but ultimately, it is up to the individual to use or not.

Relevant experiences?:

I bounced in and out of AA for almost 20 years, never achieving more than a few months of sobriety trying to do it their way. AA taught me that I was powerless, that I couldn't stay sober without them, that it wasn't my fault, I had a life-long disease.

It wasn't until I turned my back on AA, took responsibility for my addiction that I could take responsibility for my recovery and I got sober.

Last edited by a moderator:
when i was a newcomer, i went to both, like 90% na , 10 % aa,
i was hurting, i was up at my mothers house, when i was at a meeting, i had to hold on to my chair, the room was spinning
and they spun for a good 5 months,
i had a few habits, but i had a monster xanax addiction ,

i couldnt get with the higher power thing, shit i couldnt get with the power greater than myself, not saying i was all powerful, i thought it was all one big nothing,
my sponser said fake it to you make it, i did
slowly i saw my sanity being restored by developing the ability to think of consequences again and making the right decision ,
im still holding back on turning it over to god,

its tough cant fake that, in my opinion

but i do pretty much na now, it feels like home, hehe mebe i shoiuld hit off a few AA meetings to deal with these alcoholic urges, cuz na helps with the pills and powders but doesnt do much for my drinking,
but both fellowships are cool, take the good and leave the bad,

but yo when i was sick as hell back in the day , and make a meeting,,
them shits would make me feel just a little bit better, and thats what i needed,

I never really liked AA/NA. Years ago I was on methadone maintenance and anytime anyone there found out I was on MMT they would tell me I wasn't really clean. Once my friend who was on MMT but had been clean for 1 year was told she should put back her one year keychain as she was still using. This REALLY hurt her feelings.

NA's puritanical views on medications and being "clean" can be dangerous IMO. One time I was at a meeting and this guy asked a question. He was worried about a medication his neurologist had put him on for epilepsy. His seizures were not being controlled with other medicines so this guy's doctor put him on phenobarbital which was now controlling them. However this guy was worried because this med was known to be addictive and mind altering . He wanted to stop taking it because he felt he wasn't "clean" if he took it but his doctor said it was the only thing controlling his seizures. So he asked the group for their advice. The group leaders and other people in the group all told him that he should stop the med immediately even though his doc told him not to! I hope I don't have to tell you guys how dangerous it can be for an epileptic to stop their meds. Not to mention, you have to wean from phenobarbital anyway. It can be dangerous even for a non epileptic to suddenly stop a barbiturate. Anyway, I spoke up and told the guy that he shouldn't ask these ppl for medical advice, to talk to his doctor and that what they were telling him was dangerous.

Also, I've seen them discourage people from getting help for their psychiatric conditions. Cigarettes are a ok because the founder of AA smoked (even though they are extremely addictive and deadly)but heaven forbid you take a legally prescribed antidepressant or anxiety med. Or something for PAWS or comfort meds during WDs!

I am not religious and the "spirituality" thing always rubbed me the wrong way also. Then there's the studies showing that AA is not effective. I am happy that AA/NA helps some people. I tried it for years but in the end I just did it on my own. That's how I got off methadone too. Well that and a whole bunch of comfort meds, lol.

I do want to mention that I met a lot of nice ppl at AA and NA. I did find their "one day at a time" saying very helpful. So I didn't think it was all bad. :)

If anyone in NA says someone is not clean when taking meds as prescribed such as for disease, illness, or maintenance tell them to shut the fuck up and read the "in times of illness" pamphlet and read the section in "more will be revealed" on page 102 about taking medication. Tell them to work their own fucking program and that other peoples health is not their business. Simple as that really. And as the program of NA states, drug usage is a symptom of our disease. So if someone is on maintenance or health meds and making progress, they are in recovery and are deemed clean. I'm almost itching for someone to try that shit in a meeting here...