Bluelight

Thread: Trivial news thread

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Drugs In The Media
    Current Events & Politics
    Quote Originally Posted by 3,4-dihydroxyphen View Post
    And why are cops always so angry?
    If you catch them at the gym, they're usually really cool. It's mostly when they put on that badge that they turn into assholes.

I used to work out at Gold's with Carlos Alvarez while he was chief (before he was mayor). Him and his whole squad of goons were always fun to talk to. Sometimes I was shocked to find out some really down-to-earth people spotting me or whatever were cops.

I think we really need to limit their official powers. Turn them into actual public servants so they don't go around thinking they're demigods. How to do that, though? Repealing the Controlled Substances Act would be a start, but that's a pipe dream.

Maybe greatly simplifying the process of firing a bad cop.

Definitely strapping a camera to every one of them.

Definitely also getting Hollywood to stop making so many cop encomiums.

2. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Director of Public Relations
    file under "yet another guy who only believes in freedom if you agree with him".

he's been suspended: http://www.officer.com/news/11075971...versial-videos

alasdair

3. Collapse Details

Drugs In The Media
    Quote Originally Posted by alasdairm View Post
    The suspension is meaningless if it can't be enforced. They've taken over the town:

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/socie...-militia-video

4. Collapse Details

Current Events and Politics
    I'm guessing there's some sort of state mechanism to deal with local officials who have gone rogue.

5. Collapse Details

Drugs In The Media
    Actually, after re-reading those articles, I'm not sure the present situation is so dramatic in Gilberton. The headlines are a little hyperbolic.

6. Collapse Details

Apple Retail Workers Sue Over Unpaid Wages, Overtime
    Two former Apple Inc. retail employees have sued the tech giant for "millions of dollars" for unpaid wages and overtime compensation, alleging hourly employees had to wait in line and undergo off-the-clock security bag searches after they had clocked out.

In the lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in San Francisco last Thursday, one plaintiff, Amanda Frlekin of Los Angeles, said she was paid $12.10 to $15.60 an hour when she worked at a Century City retail store from August 2010 to April 2013, according to the lawsuit.

When Frlekin clocked out for her uncompensated meal breaks and at the end of her shift, she alleges she waited for at least five to 10 minutes, without compensation, as other employees had their bags checked, according to the lawsuit. She claims the waiting time totaled about 50 minutes to 1.5 hours a week of unpaid overtime, which over the course of the year came to about $1,500 in unpaid wages, according to the lawsuit.

The other plaintiff, Dean Pelle of Brooklyn, N.Y., alleged Apple made similar bag inspections when he worked in Apple stores in Atlanta, West Palm Beach, Fla., and New York City. Pelle was paid an hourly rate of about $18.75, and claims $1,400 in uncompensated wages, according to the lawsuit.

A spokeswoman for Apple told ABC News that the company does not comment on pending litigation. The plaintiffs and their attorneys did not respond to ABC News' requests for comment.

The plaintiffs allege that by not compensating its retail workers for the waiting time, Apple has violated the Fair Labor Standards Act, which requires employers to compensate all nonexempt employees at a rate of not less than one and one-half times the regular rate of pay for work performed in excess of 40 hours a week. That federal law also requires employers to pay at least minimum wage for all hours worked.

The plaintiffs also allege that the company violated the California Labor Code for nonpayment of the minimum wage, overtime wages and wage statement penalties, the California Unfair Competition Law for "unlawful, unfair or fraudulent business act or practice" and New York Labor Law for nonpayment of wages and unpaid overtime.

The plaintiffs are hoping to expand their lawsuit into a class action that represents Apple retail employees over the past three years. Lawyers representing the plaintiffs are also hoping to represent retail employees in Apple's California and New York stores for even longer periods, the Associated Press reported.

Other retail employees have filed lawsuits against Polo Ralph Lauren and Forever 21 making similar allegations. In 2010, the Polo Ralph Lauren lawsuit was reportedly settled for $4 million.

Apple's employee conduct manual specifies that all employees are subject to personal package and bag searches, like many other retail workers across the country. If employees refuse the bag searches, they could be subject to termination.

Yana Walton, communications director for Retail Action Project, an advocacy group for retail workers, said her organization has "secured back wages for hundreds of retail workers who have experienced wage theft" in New York City.

"Unfortunately, retail workers experience wage theft in many ways, and like employees at Forever 21 and Polo Ralph Lauren who filed similar suits, unpaid mandatory job functions are tantamount to wage theft," she said.
    I'm curious how much Apple will fight this or just settle and get it over with. Seems silly that the world's richest company, or one of the richest anyway, hasnt paid hourly workers their fair share of actions they are complying with in accordance with company guidelines.

7. Collapse Details

Current Events and Politics
    Earlier this year, [Matthew] Moore, who lives in Southern California, started seeing a new doctor at Torrance Memorial Physician Network’s Manhattan Beach office, who suggested he undergo a routine physical. When he returned to the office to pick up the report, he saw that “homosexual behavior” was listed as both a sickness with a code reflecting mental illness, and as chronic condition[...]

When he later returned to the office, at the suggestion of an attorney and friends, the doctor defended her position when asked to explain it. The doctor said the proper treatment for homosexuality “is still up for debate” and the sexual orientation is “still being thought of as a disease,” which is untrue.
    - OpposingViews

Really? Shouldn't this doctor be facing a review of her license? It seems to me that she holds some antiquated medical knowledge.

8. Collapse Details

Bluelight Crew paranoid android's Avatar
    Middle finger
    Quote Originally Posted by Escher's Waterfall View Post
    - OpposingViews

Really? Shouldn't this doctor be facing a review of her license? It seems to me that she holds some antiquated medical knowledge.
    WTF? That is fucking insane! This so called doctor should have their license taken away as there is absolutely no excuse for this bigoted and cuntish behavior. There is no fucking debate about whether homosexuality is a mental disorder as that notion has not been in place in decades and is much more telling of the doctors own prejudices then any mental disorder that the patient may have.

Saying that i don't think the American psychiatric association took homosexuality off the list of mental disorders until 1973. It was still in the 3rd addition of the DSM and listed as ego-dystonic homosexuality. It was not until the revised addition of the DSM-3 that it was removed as a mental disorder. So this just shows how backwards attitudes are among the medical establishment in general about people who do not fit into the socially accepted norms of the times.

However as that debate has long since been closed and there is absolutely no evidence that homosexuality is a mental disorder at all this doctor hasn't got a leg to stand on and is basically just another bigot stuck back in the dark ages.

9. Collapse Details

trust you guys to think this way, between the two of you, you don't even form the brain pan of a stagecoach tilter.

10. Collapse Details

http://arts.nationalpost.com/2013/08...cist-incident/

Oprah lies to jump on race bating band wagon

The salesclerk accused of racism by Oprah Winfrey in an Entertainment Tonight interview is claiming the TV host’s allegations that the staffer “refused” to show her a pricey handbag are “absolutely not true.”

“I simply told her that it was like the one I held in my hand, only much more expensive, and that I could show her similar bags,” the employee of Zurich’s Trois Pommes luxury goods store told Swiss newspaper SonntagsBlick, according to a translation in Britain’s Daily Mail. “It is absolutely not true that I declined to show her the bag on racist grounds. I even asked her if she wanted to look at the bag.”

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by L2R View Post
    trust you guys to think this way, between the two of you, you don't even form the brain pan of a stagecoach tilter.
    *Responds with another obscure Simpsons reference*

12. Collapse Details

Owners reunite with pet lizard in Georgetown
    GEORGETOWN, Texas -- A scaly find in Georgetown has some people’s skin crawling; though initial reports that it was an alligator have been debunked.

On the city’s Facebook page, the joke-of-the day Thursday afternoon was, “Anyone lose a 5 foot long Nile monitor?”

City officials say the reptile, which KVUE News is told is actually a Malaysian water monitor, was found wandering the frontage road near Lakeway Drive on IH-35 in North Georgetown. Staff at the animal shelter say they believe the animal belonged to someone because it was “well taken care of,” prior to being found.

“We imagine someone is missing him a lot right now as he's very used to people and seems to have been very loved,” the city staff said in their Facebook post.
    Friday morning KVUE learned the lizard's name is Sebastian Cornelius Dupree, and he does indeed have owners. Georgetown Animal Control made contact with them, and they were reunited with their lovable pet Friday.
    At first, officers thought it was an alligator or a komoto dragon. Still, they say it's one of the most bizarre encounters they've had in Georgetown.
    Many can relate to a missing dog or cat, but for Wulf Vance and his pet lizard it's a happy reunion just the same.

"Hey buddy, how ya doing?" Vance said to Sebastian at the animal shelter. "This is Sebastian. He's a big baby. A big, loveable baby."

The 35-pound water monitor has been with Vance for five years and is actually part of the family business.
    "We do birthday parties for people with these animals, educational school shows, preschool shows. He's a big hit, a star attraction," he said.
    But this week, Sebastian made a break for freedom.

"He picks the latch. He's really smart. He picked the latch and wiggled underneath it," explained Vance.

Animal control officers found him a mile away from home in North Georgetown.

"There he was just cruising up the frontage road," laughed Officer Kelly Andrews.

Officer Andrews helped wrangle him in.

"[We] grabbed our catch poles. With a lizard this size, they have a really nasty bite and a really good whack with their tail, so we wanted to be as careful as possible," she explained.
    Despite how Sebastian looks, Andrews claims he's not so scary.
    "You can pick him up and hold him, and he's totally cool with it," Andrews said.

For his owner, having the lovable lizard back in his arms is a sigh of relief.

"You are now the most famous lizard in Georgetown. What do you have to say for yourself?" Vance laughed.
    Sebastian is said to be people-friendly and a big eater. KVUE's told he loves hard boiled eggs, hot dogs, and hamburgers.
    Lizards like Sebastian are allowed as pets if they are under six feet in length and not venomous. Sebastian is five feet long.
    The lizard's name is awesome.

13. Collapse Details
    Progressive math 
    http://news.yahoo.com/obama-math-und...151805230.html

Quick: what’s 3 x 4?

If you said 11 — or, hell, if you said 7, pi, or infinity squared — that’s just fine under the Common Core, the new national curriculum that the Obama administration will impose on American public school students this fall.

In a pretty amazing YouTube video, Amanda August, a curriculum coordinator in a suburb of Chicago called Grayslake, explains that getting the right answer in math just doesn’t matter as long as kids can explain the necessarily faulty reasoning they used to get to that wrong answer.

“Even if they said, ’3 x 4 was 11,’ if they were able to explain their reasoning and explain how they came up with their answer really in, umm, words and oral explanation, and they showed it in the picture but they just got the final number wrong, we’re really more focused on the how,” August says in the video.

When someone in the audience (presumably a parent, but it’s not certain) asks if teachers will be, you know, correcting students who don’t know rudimentary arithmetic instantly, August makes another meandering, longwinded statement.

“We want our students to compute correctly but the emphasis is really moving more towards the explanation, and the how, and the why, and ‘can I really talk through the procedures that I went through to get this answer,’” August details. “And not just knowing that it’s 12, but why is it 12? How do I know that?”

Watch:

14. Collapse Details

New Member Introductions
    well, I guess they should be encouraged to explain faulty reasoning, it would lead the teacher's to correct their mistake with more understanding...
    "3 X 4 IS 11 IS WHAT THEY WILL TEACH" is a pretty massive leap from what she's saying, and obviously missing the point
    welcome /\/\/\/\/\/\ squawk

15. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Film and Television
    Trip Reports
    Quote Originally Posted by Droppersneck View Post
    Quick: what’s 3 x 4?
    If you said 11 — or, hell, if you said 7, pi, or infinity squared — that’s just fine under the Common Core
    Erm, that's not really what she said at all. When she says she wants students to compute correctly, she didn't mean she wants students to compute incorrectly. In fact, after running many tests, computer simulations and extensive research, I've determined that these two words are actually opposites.

Focusing education away from memorization towards critical thinking and reasoning is exactly what the education system needs.

16. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    We need people that can man the register, stock the shelves, or fill a fast food order.
    All that other fancy math is not required.

17. Collapse Details

Administrator
    what exactly is the problem here? kids need to learn to multiply and, while you can do that to an extent by learning, by rote, multiplication tables, that's not an extensible skill.

sure, you can recite your 2, 3, 4 times table. your 12 times table and beyond but how does that help you as an adult when you're in a real world situation and you need to multiply 432 by 37?

the process being described here makes perfect sense and trying, yet again, to paint this as some loony lefty conspiracy against common sense just makes your agenda here as transparent as ever, droppersneck.

this article reminded me of this: Texas GOP rejects "critical thinking"

alasdair

18. Collapse Details

For anyone interested in the actual context of dropper's article, here's the mediamatters.org un-sensationalized report of the Fox News story which Yahoo seems to have picked up on:

Fox News used a selectively edited video to falsely claim an Obama administration education initiative, Common Core, would reward students for getting math problems wrong.

Co-host Steve Doocy falsely claimed that the video revealed students could answer math questions incorrectly and still "get it right" under Common Core, simply if they "explained" their wrong answer to their teacher. Guest co-host Anna Kooiman furthered the attack by suggesting a student who learned math under Common Core might become "a doctor and operat[e] on the wrong knee."

Click Here to see the Fox News video

But the unedited video of August's comments reveals that she very specifically stated that wrong answers would be corrected, and that the school simply wants to ensure that students understood the process behind coming to the correct answer:

AUGUST: Even if they said, '3 x 4 was 11,' if they were able to explain their reasoning and explain how they came up with their answer really in words and in oral explanations, and they showed it in the picture but they just got the final number wrong, we're really more focusing on the how.

OFF-SCREEN: You're going to be correcting them, right?

AUGUST: Absolutely, absolutely. We want our students to compute correctly
    . But the emphasis is really moving more towards the explanation, and the how, and the why, and 'can I really talk through the procedures that I went through to get this answer, and not just knowing that it's 12, but why is it 12? How do I know that?
    While Doocy described the program as "a new national curriculum the Obama administration is imposing on schools," Common Core is not a curriculum, but a set of standards that delineates what skills students should acquire at each grade level. States have the option to decide whether or not to adopt the Common Core standards, and school districts determine their own curricula to comply. Forty-five states and the District of Columbia have adopted the program. Many private and religious schools have opted-out.

Kathleen Porter-Magee of the Thomas B. Fordham institute and Sol Stern of the Manhattan Institute explained in the National Review that according to Fordham Institute research, compared "with existing state standards ... for most states, Common Core is a great improvement with regard to rigor and cohesiveness."
    So there you go.
    Last edited by MrGrunge; 20-08-2013 at 01:32.

19. Collapse Details

Drugs In The Media
    You people need to stop apologizing for Obama. He hasn't done anything to deserve your patronage.

If public school teachers can't teach students basic and intermediate mathematics, the schools should be taken over by the military. I posit that anybody can teach an attentive pupil to follow a set of directions. The problem is that the pupils are not attentive. The military has ways of rectifying that, with alacrity.

20. Collapse Details

^ Um...who is apologizing for Obama?

21. Collapse Details

I just posted it to see what yall thought here is another.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/03/...ardized-tests/
    War On Words: NYC Dept. Of Education Wants 50 ‘Forbidden’ Words Banned From Standardized Tests
    'Dinosaur,' 'Birthday,' 'Halloween,' 'Poverty,' 'Divorce' Among Those Suggested

Dennis Walcott, Department of Education, Emily Smith, Forbidden Words, Marla Diamond, Words
    NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — George Carlin is rolling over in his grave.

The New York City Department of Education is waging a war on words of sorts, and is seeking to have words they deem upsetting removed from standardized tests.

Marla Diamond Talks To Walcott, Student About Banned Words

Fearing that certain words and topics can make students feel unpleasant, officials are requesting 50 or so words be removed from city-issued tests.

The word “dinosaur” made the hit list because dinosaurs suggest evolution which creationists might not like, WCBS 880′s Marla Diamond reported. “Halloween” is targeted because it suggests paganism; a “birthday” might not be happy to all because it isn’t celebrated by Jehovah’s Witnesses.

Julie Lewis’ family celebrates Christmas and Kwanzaa, but she told CBS 2′s Emily Smith she wants her children to appreciate and learn about other holidays and celebrations.

“They’re going to meet people from all walks of life and they’re going to have to learn to adjust,” Lewis said.

Words that suggest wealth are excluded because they could make kids jealous. “Poverty” is also on the forbidden list. That’s something Sy Fliegal with the Center for Educational Innovation calls ridiculous.

“The Petersons take a vacation for five days in their Mercedes … so what? You think our kids are going to be offended because they don’t have a Mercedes? You think our kids are going to say ‘I’m offended; how could they ask me a question about a Mercedes? I don’t have a Mercedes!’” Fliegal said.

22. Collapse Details

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIKGV2cTgqA <- so much in topic lol

btw, I never got why every few years someone feels the need to come up with a fancier way to teach mathematics. When I was in first-second grade it looked like the most important thing was to write the tens in red, the hundreds in green, the thousand in cyan... Ah, multicoloured pens were all the rage in those days!

23. Collapse Details

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 23536 View Post
    You people need to stop apologizing for Obama.
    i don't see anybody apologizing for obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by 23536 View Post
    He hasn't done anything to deserve your patronage.
    i think i'm a better judge of what deserves my patronage than you are.

alasdair

24. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by L2R View Post
    Are you suggesting that homosexuality is a mental illness?

25. Collapse Details

as max powers noticed, it was a simpsons reference. the scene has smithers telling burns that measuring skulls as a behaviour indicator was thoroughly debunked ages earlier, and burns replies that smither would naturally think that considering the shape and size of his skull.

in essence i was doing the same with e_w and pa, mocking their denial of antiquated science using antiquated science. ... via a simpsons reference. i was agreeing with them in a very silly way.

i do this sort of thing a lot.

i love the quote too, "stagecoach tilter" is my job title in facebook. someone one time called my work and asked for me by my (also ridiculous) fb name, and my colleague/friend was asked to confirm if i was actually a "stagecoach tilter".

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast