• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

2013 MLB thread

Show of life

Bluelighter
spring training starts this week, phriends. Here's to another long season of hope that eventually turn into disappointment.

adu9ahem.jpg

aawww, pumkin....look at you. starting threads and everything. you'll be posting cock shots in the nudie thread in no time.

we're gonna go to a lot of braves games this year and hold and hands and cry a lot.

cock shots are welcome in this thread(no homo)

Let's get jerseys with our name on the back and matching braves fanny packs to mule in gergs

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Four months after saying goodbye to Chipper Jones with an abrupt postseason exit, the Braves are approaching a new season with a pair of Uptons and significant expectations.

Braves general manager Frank Wren highlighted the early portion of the Hot Stove season with the signing of B.J. Upton. When Wren landed Justin Upton in a seven-player trade with the D-backs in January, the GM gave his players another reason to enter this season with hopes of reaching the World Series.

A long journey toward that goal will begin this week, as the Braves gather at ESPN's Wide World of Sports complex to begin Spring Training. Pitchers and catchers are required to report Monday to prepare for their first workout on Tuesday. All position players will report by Thursday in preparation for the first full-squad workout on Friday.

"It has been an exciting offseason," veteran pitcher Tim Hudson said. "We brought in a lot of talent. We felt like we had a really good team last year and I feel like we've improved in a number of areas. I'm excited. This is reporting day, and I don't remember seeing this many guys on reporting day."

Justin Upton, Dan Uggla and Chris Johnson were among the position players who made an early arrival to camp on Monday morning. Jason Heyward and Freddie Freeman arrived in camp last week.

"It's just kind of time to focus on some baseball, which is the fun part," Justin Upton said. "We've done all the talk about it. It becomes fun when you get here and get around the guys."

While B.J. Upton plans to make the 45-minute commute from his Tampa-area home during Spring Training, Justin Upton said he will reside in the Orlando area during spring camp. The two brothers will see plenty of each other as their lockers are located side by side in the home clubhouse at Champion Stadium.

This marks the first time since 1992 that the Braves have gone to Spring Training without the expectation to break camp with Jones, who retired after last year's one-game National League Wild Card playoff loss to the Cardinals.

Uggla has been assigned the corner locker that had been previously reserved for Jones.

"It was odd looking over and not seeing the old, wrinkled bag of bones over there," Hudson said of Jones. "But it is different. He's been a fixture around here for years."

Other key losses from last year's team include backup catcher David Ross, center fielder Michael Bourn and the versatile Martin Prado, who was included in the deal for Justin Upton.

While those players will be missed within the clubhouse, the Braves will enter this season excited about their new look, which features the addition of the Uptons, who will team with Heyward to form what could be the game's most talented outfield. Each of the outfielders is a Gold Glove Award-caliber defender capable of producing 30 homers and 30 stolen bases on offense.

"The lineup has a lot of pop in it," Justin Upton said. "We can change games fast with power and speed. It should be fun to sit back and watch and be a part of it."

The Braves will also enter camp looking forward to the chance to see how much Brian McCann has progressed since undergoing right shoulder surgery in October. While there is a possibility McCann will miss at least the first two weeks of the regular season, McCann has arrived at camp with the hope of being ready on Opening Day.

If McCann is not ready at the start of the season, the catching duties will belong to veteran Gerald Laird, who signed as a free agent in November. Laird enters this year with the hope of competing in the World Series for a third consecutive season.

The Braves' projected starting rotation includes Hudson, Kris Medlen, Mike Minor, Paul Maholm and Julio Teheran. Prospects Sean Gilmartin or J.R. Graham will be available to serve as the fifth starter if Teheran struggles during the exhibition season.

As Spring Training progresses, Brandon Beachy will attempt to move closer to rejoining the rotation. Beachy is expected to be sidelined until late June as he continues to recover from Tommy John surgery.

The Braves will open their Grapefruit League slate when they host the Tigers on Feb. 22 at 1:05 p.m. ET. They are scheduled to leave Florida on March 28 and conclude their exhibition season with a game against some of the organization's top Minor League players on March 30 at Double-A Mississippi's Trustmark Park.

I didn't even realize Ross was gone. Prob gonna need him when mccann's shoulder goes to junk in may

the 20+ year losing streak ends this year

pirates gonna have a huge 82-80 season

mccutchen mvp

they signed lirano to a one year deal, his contract is interesting and i think more player's should be signed like this

he's gurenteed 1mil, if he makes it to 200 innings he gets 12mil, whoa, talk about motivation, time to invest in some cutting edge,undectable PEDs my man and don't forget to share with the rest of the team

yo SoL who's alt are you? I dont care and I wont spill the beans I just want to know

great thread to hide in

fuck the Braves and the Pirates

peace

philles are like the lakers of baseball

wouldn't be surprised if they got matt stairs out of retirement

wow that is by the far the stupidest comparison ive ever heard

id love to hear you reasoning though

they both have pretty high expectations , but can't fulfill them cause they are too old
'fuck ____ & ____' that's an innovative take no matter what teams or sports you're talking about

actually they just went on two of the coldest hitting streaks ive seen in a while the last two times they made the playoffs. Last year they had a lot of injuries to key players. I do agree with you that the window is probably closed after this year maybe one more year but they are old. But I dont care whos in the lineup, if you can get in the playoffs with Lee, Hamels, and Halladay, you have a decent chance against anyone.

Not to mention the bullpen sucked dick last year, now we got Mike adams to set up Papelbon

Pirates will be a non factor as usual

also the Nationals cant even fill their own stadium, most of it is Phillies fans

i live and breathe the sport, i would play it everyday if the opportunity presented itself, well not baseball,that shit is for high school and college kids

softball suits my needs where i live, the league i play in NOT slowpitch(no high arc, lobbing it over) and is saturated with guys who played college ball,some broke school records, and a few guys who breifly played minor league ball, i was a two time district all star in high school and i'm like the 7-8 hitter on my team....i played slow pitch when i was in atlanta, and guys in that league looked at me like i was chipper jones, sounds fun, but playing against scubs was kind of frustrating

so you'd think i'm a fan of mlb, right?
nah, even if it's on the tv i can't even watch it, some sports i can be a fan of, without watching many games, not baseball, most of the teams i'd be lucky to name more than 3 players, i don't know who's good anymore

pirates make playoffs though i'm watching that shit and waving jolly rogers in both arms, holstering swords in my belt and shit

I kind of hope the phillies are good again this year even though I hate their fucking guts.

The gnats are already annoying and fuck the mets

Marlins might lose 100 games this year

more Ryan Braun steroid news

as if anyone really beleived him after that fiasco last year

Never understood the fascination of Spring Training, always hearing these "only xxx days until Pitchers & Catchers!!!"

and its like, so fucking what? Let me know what time Opening day starts because ST is a waste of time to watch unless you probably collect baseball cards and are in a fantasy league

I realized I like following baseball, just not watching it during the regular season

the only reason i get excited about hearing that pitchers and catchers report is because it means spring is almost here

Astros moved to the AL West I didnt even realize that

its about time

NSFW:
You know what, it is about time.

I wanted to get the ball in the hole, I just couldnt do it!

1204885_o.gif