• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

[Nootropics Subthread] Noopept (GVS-111)

Solipsis

Bluelight Crew

Noopept Subthread

<< to the Big & Dandy Nootropics Thread <<

200px-Noopept.svg.png

N-phenylacetyl-L-prolylglycine ethyl ester

ANNOUNCEMENT

Please note that Bluelight's Healthy Living forum covers discussion of supplement stacks. PD only wishes to focus on cognition enhancement as an extension of consciousness expansion. We also aim to discuss the combination of nootropics with psychedelics or even other drugs, and their (potential) interactions.

Refer to HL to supplement your general discussion of vitamins and other additive nutrients.

wiki:

Noopept (Russian: Ноопепт; GVS-111, N-phenylacetyl-L-prolylglycine ethyl ester) is a medication promoted and prescribed in Russia and neighbouring countries as a nootropic. The registered brand name Noopept® (Ноопепт) is trademarked by the manufacturer JSC LEKKO Pharmaceuticals. The compound is patented in both the US and Russia. Patent of Russian Federation number 2119496, US Patent number 5,439,930 issued 8/8/1995.

It is derived from the racetam family of drugs and shares similar mechanisms of action, but is, according to studies, 1000 times more potent than the prototypical racetam drug, piracetam. Animal studies have shown noopept to be neuroprotective and enhance memory in various tests. Unusually for a peptide-derived compound, noopept displays both high oral bioavailability and good blood–brain barrier penetration in rats (although a previous study concluded that "GVS-111 itself was not found in rat brain 1 h after 5 mg/kg i.p. administration up to limit of detection" and that administration of Noopept only increases the concentration of endogenous nootropic Cyclo-L-prolylglycine), and human studies have shown promising results, with potential application in the treatment of Alzheimer's disease. It is also an "immunocorrector" in mice.
It has been found to stimulate the expression of NGF and BDNF in rat hippocampus. Expression of the studied neurotropic factors in the cerebral cortex was below the control after single administration of Noopept, while chronic administration caused a slight increase in BDNF expression. In the hippocampus, expression of mRNA for both neurotrophins increased after acute administration of Noopept. Chronic treatment with Noopept was not followed by the development of tolerance, but even potentiated the neurotrophic effect.

I have been taking noopept for about 2 months now, when I started it was no more than a day a week when I wanted to give it a shot experimenting. Then I gradually increased my intake to perhaps 5 times a week where I am now. I take 10 mg in the early afternoon but have also occasionally dosed twice. Basically I use it to optimize concentration and learning, practicing playing the piano (I play hours a day when I can) and pencak which is an indo martial art that requires agility, rapid reaction, balance and focus.
When I started I took the noopept orally, then switched to sublingual. I am not sure this improves because the musky taste lingers. Also, I don't understand how an oligopeptide like this can survive the digestive process. I was under the impression that proteins are disassembled into amino acids. No one seems to want to comment on this or explain that perhaps proteins only get chopped into oligopeptides but not smaller.
Also, with every considerable nootropic I use choline (bitatrate now, citrate before).

Right about now I may be building enough experience with it to say a few things about it. Similar to the racetams, I notice effects pretty fast after taking a dose but don't feel like there is a comedown that either bums me out or makes me notice that my abilities are getting diminished, urging me to redose. I think I benefit from nootropics but don't care that much if I can't or don't take them.
Noopept makes me feel like streams of information are rushing at top speed, mental stimulation when it comes on but no physical stimulation. There is less anxiolysis than aniracetam. The speeding stimuli and apparent improvements at the piano (which is one of the most tangible benchmarks for me) make it seem like noopept is superior to aniracetam but aniracetam seems superior in balancing out minor side-effects. It actually makes me more comfortable because I seem better equipped to handle the cognitive boost, better equipped to process information in general actually which seems one of the biggest things that calm me down. Noopept does not have this, it merely makes me okay with the boost but I am not that sure about netto improvement with anxiety or confusion.

Actually I took aniracetam yesterday before training and I had not taken it in a while. I was suprised by the beneficial effects and very impressed. After another comparison I doubt I will get a big stash of noopept, especially with the bulk aniracetam lying around. Though until my gram of noopept is finished I will probably keep taking it and might combo with the aniracetam soon for training.

You are all welcome to share, and when there is time the Big & Dandy Nootropics Thread should be reorganized to fill this.

Last edited:
I am going to receive an order of this on Tuesday, I can't wait to start on a nootropic regimen again. I had good results with Piracetam and choline bitartrate, my trial with Pramiracetam wasn't so fruitful but I was using it with MXE and 3-meo-pcp in ridiculous amounts . The dissociatives effects were somewhat countered by the Pramiracetam and also vice versa. (at least that was the conclusion that I came up with.)

So this is a derivative of the racetams, but not really a racetam in and of itself? have I got that wrong? Is Choline supplementation needed with this chem?

This is not a racetam derivative, the only things it is made up of is 3 amino acids, the building blocks proteins are made of.

About needing choline or not: I am not sure if I ever really experienced things like headaches from skipping choline with racetams (probably because I hardly if ever skipped it), but I have taken choline considerably later than noopept and had no problems. Then again this doesn't really prove anything.

I think I overheard that taking choline increases choline and acetylcholine levels (well duh) and noopept increases both acetylcholine levels as well as turnover of choline into acetylcholine (again a small duh, the turnover results in higher ACh). For some reason I interpreted the post I am talking about as not needing choline earlier. I take choline just in case I guess.
But now that I actually think about it a bit, I think the increased turnover by definition puts you at risk of running low of choline. How quickly this would actually happen and how fast side-effects would get how serious... I can only guess. If the efficacy of the drug is any indication, I would say don't hold out on it.
In any case the choline does seem to synergize very well with it and considering I have dropped investigations of other minor nootropics over time, I have no qualms about retaining one of the few that seems to matter.

I just got some of CTD Labs Noopept today. I'm pretty new to Nootropics. The only ones Ive tried previously have been Picamilion, which I found mostly just relaxing, and Alpha Brain, which worked for me for a while but the effects seemed to wear off completely for everything except for a a good hangover remedy. I have never tried Piracetam, but I have some coming soon because I ordered some today. I'm gonna try both, but Ive got my Noopept now so I'll be starting that one first, first thing tomorrow. I have a few questions for people who have tried Noopept already...

Have you tried the CTD Labs Noopept? What did you think of it?
Should I take it on a full stomach or with a light meal? Or perhaps an Empty stomach?
Does Choline improve the effects of it at all? I take anywhere from 2400 - 3600 mg's of Lecethin a day, and on days where I do take Alpha Brain I get 100mg's of Alpha GPC a day from that, I haven't taken that in 2 weeks but probably will give it another go in the future.
And finally, the CTD tablets are 10 mg's each. Is that a good dosage to start with or should I try 20? Ive also been considering 15 mg's too. If it matters at all I should mention I weigh 140.
And is it alright to mix Noopept with Alcahol? I'm a pretty recreational drinker with friends. Ive found a lot of info on other Nootropics mixed with Alcahol but not much for Noopept and Alc.

I can't wait to start it tomorrow. I could use some better verbal fluency and an improved short term memory. Ive always had very solid and reliable long term memory, and while I wouldn't call my short term memory horrible it's definitely not nearly as reliable and it gets annoying sometimes.

We don't really discuss batches, brands and prices, so for our purposes the Noopept is just Noopept. There have been claims that not all Noopept products sold actually contain it, sometimes based on the lack of peculiar taste although another explanation might be that not everyone is as sensitive to its effects or taste. Truly, most things like this being sold must also exist in fake form. Formulations containing a known list of ingredients can be discussed (like Alpha Brain). Obviously if your noopept is in pills you might not taste it.

I don't rely on companies to tell me what mixes like Alpha Brain work because I don't trust them. My reasons are basically similar to those mentioned here: http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/index.php/alpha-brain-whats-wrong-with-the-supplement-industry/

Instead I choose my own ingredients and am skeptic about health effects being reported, especially after getting disappointed in most minor nootropics and feeling ripped off. I think a lot of extensive supplement stacks people take can become like a rage to take as much as possible that *might* work, and it requires almost a leap of faith plus a bit of the magic of suggestion to believe that it helps. With huge stacks it may be no wonder that some of the supplements taken have effect but that doesn't prove that the majority of them aren't just useless fillers your body does nothing with. Of course advertising companies are always happy to comply providing all the supplements and/or suggest junk science to support taking them.

I dose Noopept sublingually because I don't really understand or trust it being degraded in the stomach. If your pills are small and easily dissolving you can put them under your tongue. Other than that I don't know of any dietary instructions and personally tend to take Noopept as one of the first things in my day. Just try it, you can always decide to change your habit of timing it with food.
10 mg is described as a kind of standard dose for Noopept and you can start with it, but if you start with it on a day with a lot of commitments you can choose half just in case you don't react so well. Some people can get agitated by it. Later when you have tested the waters you can build up your dose, 20 mg doesn't sound unreasonable at all but I don't know where I would stop personally. I don't have the urge to go high with these things like some people who take grams and grams of racetams.

Also I'd like to point out that other nootropic peptides like Selank and Semax are sold as nose drops. This should be a sign to us that there apparently is reason not to trust these peptides to survive oral intake. I am personally very interested to prepare my own Noopept nosedrops to check and report the difference in result.
Do your pills not come with an information leaflet? They might say to take them under the tongue.

Nootropics like racetams tend to potentiate alcohol, and actually potentiate a lot of other drugs and even experiences in general I would almost say. I don't necessarily avoid alcohol with Noopept and had no difficulties, but then again I tend to take Noopept early and alcohol late in the day. I don't think there are studies that show increases or decreases in the existing risks of alcohol use, by Noopept.

When you start trying your nootropics, first start with either a racetam or noopept is my advice. See how that works for a while before switching, and check them out seperately before combining. There don't seem to be huge risks here but these are general rules with substance intake and furthermore combining too soon will only confuse which drug has what efficacy to contribute.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I took my first dose of Noopept about 2 hours ago, I took 15 mg's. I was on a pretty empty stomach, the only thing I had for breakfast was Whey protein powder. I took my usual Lecithin about a half hour before my dose of Noopept. I took it under the tongue, which is what was recommended on the bottle. It's Cherry flavored because it apparently tastes awful so Ive heard. About 15 minutes after I took it I began to feel tired and was disappointed. However, after about 20 minutes the tired wore off and now I just feel... good. I just did a yoga workout, I generally do one every day, my movements felt a lot better and flowed better from one movement to the next than normally. Other than that, music sounds even better than normal. I haven't noticed any other sensory effects than that. No brightening of colors or anything. Perhaps that's on a slightly higher dose. I also don't know how well it's effecting my concentration and memory because I'm not currently doing anything that requires either.

Later on in the day I have work, and I may take another 10 mg's an hour before if the effects have worn off by that point (and if I haven't experienced any negative side effects). How long do they last for you? All in all, I'm feeling pretty good as of right now. I was tired and sleepy when it first kicked but that went away and led to a very awake feeling. I have a "hello world" sort of feeling. Id love to go for a walk, but it's freezing outside where I am so I probably wont. I guess I can call my first dose a success. One question, how does this stuff effect sleep? Should I not take it too late in the day? I have trouble sleeping as is...

Last edited:
I took noopept for a long time. No change. More like a placebo effect. It seems he had no impact on my learning. IMHO, if you want a really good nootropic take dextroamphetamine.

I hate Amphetamines. Yeah they work well at school, but they have way to many side effects and I often get depressed when school is over and don't know what to do with myself. They also make me very angry during the crash. Like ultra pissed off. It's been years since Ive taken one and I don't ever plan to again. They are known to cause heart problems long term.

How did you take it Sweetshare? I am not surprised the bottle said to take it under the tongue, Uberlight. And yes it does taste a bit gross.

The effects can sometimes be possible to miss if you are not doing anything useful with it. For me the main use lies in the first 4-5 hours probably. I think studies have mentioned 2-3 doses a day if I am not mistaken. So that would make sense.

Also I don't count stimulants as nootropics even if they help with cognition because the stimulation is pervasive and entirely involuntary whereas drugs like racetams only help in some ways where they are useful but are limited in side-effects. I guess I prefer it to be more subtle. I have used dextroamphetamine and liked it, don't get me wrong, but I am sensitive to sleep difficulties and would rather not take amphetamines on a daily basis anymore. Even if dextroamphetamine might certainly one of the cleanest stimulants there are. The idea does not sit well with me.
So I don't consider stimulants nootropics because they are not selective in effect and thus, not fair game.

Since this is a nootropic and the effects are somewhat selective, that would be the reason I'd give for getting disappointed: I find it pretty useless just sitting behind my computer but found unmistakable improvements playing the piano and believe this and aniracetam to both help me learn quite fast.

But it's not a stimulant and won't give you motivation, energy and drive out of nowhere.

Yet at the same time it is still supportive of any and all mental activity and while this may not always be as prominent, when I try to go to sleep after having taken a nootropic too late in the day I tend to still be more wired from my previous activities than normal. Then again I can get worked up and obsessed over my interests and activities, and even though this is in a positive way it can interfere with sleep and rest.

Yeah my bottle say's to take 10 mg's 3 times a day. I took 15, so a pill and a half. Maybe I'll just take the other half before work. Can a dose as low as 5 mg's be effective?

I used to take dextroamphetamine and then tried out Noopept, as I didn't like the the way it affected my sleep schedule. I love it and to me it felt exactly like dextroamphetamine, minus the physical stimulation and amphetamine quality. It just gives me pure, lasting concentration as well as increases my sense of smell :D

Has anybody combined Noopept with LSD? Tomorrow my friends throwing a big birthday party, and I like low doses of LSD at parties. My plan was to take just one hit. I can't find any info on LSD and Noopept in combination. I can find plenty with Piracetam and other racetams but nothing on Noopept. Any help?

I advise against it because nootropics, even piracetam (which is 1000 times less potent than Noopept quantitatively and seems to very possibly have more efficacy) can potentiate a trip in an unpredictable way. In a way it is like combining a catalyst with a catalyst, or a catalyst with something disinhibiting. In a sense, combining mushrooms with MAOIs reminded me of LSD with piracetam because everything became utterly boundless.
While that is in part uncharted territory, and even though interesting something I would recommend extra caution with if you wish to explore, you indicate that you like to do low doses in a situation like that birthday. Which is wise because it seems out of place if you cannot interact, function, behave or control yourself anymore. So skip any nootropic if you want to do low dose LSD at the birthday and save such combinations for when you are safe, in private and maybe are being watched over. And even then Noopept may just be too much with psychedelics. But I am not sure if we can extrapolate from piracetam like that. I do think we can with aniracetam because it should act more similarly.

Anyway that is my advice. You can wait for someone who tried the exact combination but either way it seems like a shame to risk an incident (however minor) when it is someone else's day.

Well I did take Noopept today, but I guess to be safe I will not take any more through out the day. I wont be taking my tab until around 9PM and my dose of Noopept was at 1PM. Should be enough time in between the two.

Anyways to update how Noopept is going so far, I noticed last night while laying in my bed my thoughts were much more focused and organized than usual. I was able to think through things better and more in depth. However, I had a pretty bad day overall yesterday. I wasn't in a positive mood at work. I focused pretty well, but was very irritable. Now it's important to note that yesterday I also took Focus Factor, and I think the combination of the 2 may have stimulated me too much and effected my mood negatively. Also Important to note I took 30 mg's of Noopept yesterday, so I think I over did it not just by taking too much but adding other stimulating supplements to the mix. So far from taking Noopept alone I haven't experienced negative mood, so for now I will blame it on the combination of taking too much Noopept and also taking Focus Factor. I'm going to continue with Noopept for now and make sure I don't combined too many other supplements with it. As of right now I am feeling pretty good from my last dose of Noopept, which was just 10 mg's.

This is a fruitful, high quality thread, but why is it in PDD?

ebola

It is a subthread of the Nootropics thread and PD deals with nootropics and have for a while now (Noopept was up until now being discussed in the main Nootropics thread but I thought the racetams and Noopept deserved their own focussed threads as well), PD has been covering all these because apparently folks who are into psychedelia are also often into nootropics. From mind expansion to cognition expansion is not that big of a stretch. Another example is that a lucid dreaming forum appears to attract trippers as well (this is outside of BL) I noticed, and there are probably lots more relations.

I don't think it's any good for OD, and ADD is typically not interested in sharing of anecdotes. Any nootropic entirely in research stage can of course still be academically discussed in ADD. Is there anything here you disagree with? :)

Just started taking this, been about 6 days and i've noticed that i get an hour of boosted mental function then i get tired which slows me back down and makes me foggy. Caffeine knocks this out but i'm trying to cut caffeine out of my diet after 3 months of at least 2 energy drinks a day. ROA doesn't make a difference. Thoughts?

Apparently taking choline with it stops the depleted feeling

Last edited: