• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Television The Americans

Bluelight Crew
yCKBF.jpg

Starts today on FX. Set in 1981. About KGB sleeper agents living in D.C. I am very anticipation!

It's hard to get into Cold War era stuff ever since Rocky beat Ivan Drago and brought the two nations together. Brought them together through boxing. Then the two used their brute strength to tear that wall down. I'm a history buff if you couldn't already tell.

I didn't realize this was set in the 80's. That makes it more interesting and relevant. The commercials did look pretty cool, but I thought it was set in modern times which made it seem sort of like Homeland (well from the commercials, I've never seen the show) and made it seem irrelevant since we're not afraid of the Ruskies anymore.

I didn't realize this was set in the 80's. That makes it more interesting and relevant. The commercials did look pretty cool, but I thought it was set in modern times

I think the 80s still qualify as Modern Times to many people. It depends on your point of view. Is the following: a) an aging piece of shit or b) an antique?

1981%20Oldsmobile%2098%202.JPG

If you choose A, then you probably consider the 80s "modern times".

I consider modern times to include things like cell phones, the internet (computers in general) and a whole host of gadgets that make spy shit a lot harder (or easier) now a days.

Cell phones and internet changed a lot of things. Taking those away makes for completely different story lines.

I don't really consider 30 years old to be of modern times, unless you're time line is going back to the Greeks or Egyptians or some such.

Just watched the pilot last night and it was pretty good. Set up Elizabeth's background pretty good but not Phillip's, maybe next episode? I'm luke warm about this show at the moment. May check out 1 or 2 more episodes to see if it is worthy of my time. I do like the premise though.

Somebody correctly pointed out that the show lacks a firm 1981 look. Compare to these pics of actual 1981 people:

050511-coldcase-630.jpg

1981_large.jpg

^Indeed, I noticed this as well. No giant framed glassed, no thick Tom Selleck mustaches, no permed hair.

I did enjoy the story concept and the show in general, I missed last nights episode but caught the pilot. I'll need to see a few more episodes before I'm sold.

I'm really enjoying this so far.

Pilots are almost universally weak. Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, and Boardwalk Empire are the exceptions. Never judge a show by its Pilot.

Another thing that bothers me about this show is that nobody smokes! In 1981 everybody is smoking. Go there and you'll see.

I guess nobody does period like Mad Men.

FWIW, I only nitpick the shows I love.

Pilots are almost universally weak. Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, and Boardwalk Empire are the exceptions. Never judge a show by its Pilot.

Also, The Shield. The pilot was so good that I sat through all seven seasons, hoping for some type of redemption at the end. The Shield is a bottomless pit though.

This Matthew Rhys guy is quite the actor. Usually a plain-looking person doesn't draw you in like that, but as soon as he starts to talk and emote, the scene quickens.

He's charismatic, but in a harmonious way. He reminds me a lot of my last cult leader. I think he could talk me into being KGB.

The Americans (FX)

I can't be the only BLer that watches this, can I? It's a show about two Soviet spies in the 80s, living as man and wife in the US, with two kids, while they also live their secret life as spies doing their duty for Russia. It's really well written and acted, the period stuff is well done, and it's worth checking out. It's got a lot of action and it's fast-paced - this isn't Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy for tv. It's on hiatus right now but comes back for season 2 Feb 26th on FX. You can watch the first season on Netflix.

First season trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4D96fPl_hI

Does anyone watch this and is excited for season 2?

I really need to catch up on this show. I don't think I even finished season 1, but was loving it.

Comrade you are not alone.

I can't be the only BLer that watches this, can I? It's a show about two Soviet spies in the 80s, living as man and wife in the US, with two kids, while they also live their secret life as spies doing their duty for Russia. It's really well written and acted, the period stuff is well done, and it's worth checking out. It's got a lot of action and it's fast-paced - this isn't Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy for tv. It's on hiatus right now but comes back for season 2 Feb 26th on FX. You can watch the first season on Netflix.

First season trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4D96fPl_hI

Does anyone watch this and is excited for season 2?

Starts tonight on FX!

This is the season that this show gains a huge audience. Many of the great shows have crappy ratings their first season. But this show seems to have a lot of people talking about it now. Great reviews too:

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/the-americans/season-2

Last season's metascore was 11 points lower. The Americans will become a hit.

The first season was good... I liked the first episode of this season though the other spy family scene was hard to watch. I hope the daughter figures it out.