• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

liver issues after very little use of kratom

bonercityy

Greenlighter
I know this thread is fairly old, but I just read three, maybe four, separate experience reports on erowid in which the people who submitted them developed serious liver issues after very little use of kratom. From the sounds of the reports, it also sounds like most of these people were in decent health and didn't use many other drugs. I'm wondering if maybe the kratom they took is related to their liver issues due to possibly getting a bad or adulterated batch. One of my friends had told me recently as a word of caution, after I had started a rhodiola regimen for a bit, that a friend of hers developed hepatitis from herbal supplements they had ordered online. I found this to be odd, but after reading those erowid reports, maybe this is possible. Besides something like kava that is proven to cause liver damage, it seems like some of these ethnobotanicals could be adulterated, depending where they come from. Or maybe the plant itself can lead to this in certain people. Definitely going to do more research on this topic as I just received kratom in hopes of it helping me to get off of Suboxone. If anyone has any further information, let me know!

I developed hepatitis around the same time I was taking kratom fairly often.

Please don't bump old threads though

Since this was a bump of a very old thread it normally would be closed. However it sound that you have some important concerns you want to discuss. Thus, I went ahead and turned it into a new thread for you.

There are quite a few anecdotal reports of liver problems alongside kratom use and even a couple published case reports. For example "Intrahepatic Cholestasis Following Abuse of Powdered Kratom: a case of a young man who presented with jaundice and pruritus after intake of kratom for 2 weeks in the absence of any other causative agent". How likely these kinds of problems are is unknown, there isn't much scientific info on the subject at this point.

Alternative medicine is very understudied, however your right in that many herbal supplements can have a negative impact on the liver.

There seem to be quite a few anecdotes and clinical reports of some liver toxicity which should call for further medical investigation. Until then, if your experiencing this from Kratom, then the best option would be to stop.

This a study in rats that confirms hepa/nephrototoxicity from Kratom:

Acute toxicity study of the standardized methanolic extract of Mitragyna speciosa Korth in Rodent, which confirms the relative safety of kratom. Tested on Dawley rats.

S.N. Harizala, b, c, , S.M. Mansorb, , J. Hasnanc, J.K.J. Tharakana and J. Abdullaha
Department of Neurosciences, School of Medical Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia,
Centre for Drug Research, Universiti Sains Malaysia
Department of Pathology, School of Medical Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia
Ethnopharmacological relevance: Mitragyna speciosa Korth (ketum) is widely used in Malaysia as a medicinal agent for treating diarrhea, worm infestations and also acts as an analgesic and antipyretic.

The aim of the study is to determine the acute toxicity of Mitragyna speciosa Korth standardized methanol extract in vivo in 4-weeks-old Sprague–Dawley rats. Result No mortality was noted after 14 days of treatment. In general, behavior, food and water consumption, hematological studies and organ weights showed no significant changes.

Abstract Ethnopharmacological relevance: Mitragyna speciosa Korth (ketum) is widely used in Malaysia as a medicinal agent for treating diarrhea, worm infestations and also acts as an analgesic and antipyretic. Aim The aim of the study is to determine the acute toxicity of Mitragyna speciosa Korth standardized methanol extract in vivo in 4-weeks-old Sprague–Dawley rats. Methodology Rats were orally administrated single dose of 100, 500 and 1000 mg/kg Mitragyna speciosa Korth standardized methanol extract and the control group received 430 mg/kg of morphine orally. There were 10 rats in each group. All animals were sacrificed after 14 days of treatment. Eight parameters were tested: cage side observation, body weight measurement, food and water consumption, blood pressure, absolute and relative organ weight, hematology, biochemical analysis and histopathology, to look for evidence of toxicity. Result No mortality was noted after 14 days of treatment. In general, behavior, food and water consumption, hematological studies and organ weights showed no significant changes. The standardized methanol extraction of Mitragyna speciosa Korth increased rat blood pressure (systolic: 147.4 ± 1.01, 131.64 ± 4.94 and 137.8 ± 4.46) after an hour of 100, 500 and 1000 mg/kg doses, respectively. Biochemical studies showed significant elevation of ALT, AST, albumin, triglycerides, cholesterol and albumin (p > 0.05), at all levels of doses. But, nephrotoxicity evidenced by elevated creatinine was seen only at a dose of 1000 mg/kg.

Histological examination showed congestion of sinusoids, hemorrhage hepatocytes, fatty change, centrilobular necrosis and increased number of Kuppfer cells in the liver of all Mitragyna speciosa Korth standardized methanol extract treated groups. Conclusion Oral administration of standardized methanolic extraction of Mitragyna speciosa Korth resulted in increasing rat blood pressure after an hour of drug administration. The highest dose of extract also induced acute severe hepatotoxicity and mild nephrotoxicity. However, Mitragyna speciosa Korth shows no effects on body weight, food and water consumption, absolute and relative organ weight and also hematology parameters.
Source: Journal of EthnopharmacologyVolume 131, Issue 2, 15 September 2010, Pages 404-409

Last edited:
This is a bit alarming but you would think with the amount of people maintaining on high doses daily kratoms liver toxcity would be reported a lot more. I've been using kratom daily for the last week but I only use a teaspoon or less before work.

^Well I would assume it may vary between strains, duration of use, liver condition at the time of use and several other factors. It's really difficult to know until there's are some medical studies.

If I have or have had some form of hepatic disease I would certainly not take the risk.

Hmm, this is very strange and I've not heard of it before. I thought that Kratom was relatively safe! Interesting and disturbing to hear the otherwise though. I guess I'll stick to big pharma!

This is a bit alarming but you would think with the amount of people maintaining on high doses daily kratoms liver toxcity would be reported a lot more.

Yeah, that's what the researchers in one of the published case reports said too, considering how common kratom use is getting these reports do seem quite rare. Something to bear in mind though, that kratom does carry risks.

For what it is worth, my GF was just admitted to the hospital over the weekend for itching, jaundice of eyes and skin, dark urine, nausea, low appetite and fatigue. There are no complicating factors, no other drugs, but about 6 instances of Kratom extract over the last two weeks. The last dose was last monday, the first dose was about a week and a half before that. That is the only time she has ever done it, and it is the only drug shes taken in a year and a half. She doesn't even take ibuprofen.

The doctors can't figure out what is wrong with her, but she hasn't yet mentioned the Kratom...

The symptoms started about a week after the first dose (three days in a row for the first three days, then spread out three times over the next week and a half or so). But the jaundice and itching didn't start until about a week after the final dose.

I...personally....feel the kratom is responsibile :T not to ruffle any feathers...but if we get something kind of conclusive back, I'll post it.

^^Please try to convince her to tell them about the kratom. She won't get in trouble and it's her health at stake <3

Well, there is no "conclusive" result as to specifically what caused the liver problems, but clearly her liver enzymes were elevated. She was formerly an IV heroin user (thus the year and a half with no drugs), so our first thought was Hep C. But, for the third time in a year, she has tested negative for HCV, and she had never had any prior elevated liver panels.

She did end up telling the Dr. about the Kratom, who suggested that was the likely culprit, but due to cessation of use there was no way to conclude that caused it absolutely. However, the tentative diagnosis is drug-induced choleostasis, and her symptoms are going away (its now been about 2 weeks, i think, since she last took the kratom. The jaundice started to fade about 3 days ago, the itching is lessening but still present).

We decided to tell the Doc when he decided to skip the internal ultrasound (looking for internal blockages) and jumped right to liver biopsy (presumably assuming that it was, in fact, drug related, and to determine the extent and possible permanence of the damage). Since the symptoms are lessening, she isn't going to have the biopsy (but honestly...I'd be curious as to the result...it's my understanding that any kind of liver failings aren't exactly small potatoes).

In any case...as per what Erowid says and other scattered reports...I don't know if its a particular supplier, an adulterant, some other active chemical, or what....but I hesitantly have to admit that for some people, Kratom can causes severe liver problems. I, personally, had no issue with the Kratom (and I took it in larger doses and several more times)...so I'm hesitant to say its an adulterant. But...I think there may just be some people that are unable to process some element of the Kratom. If we had kept using it with frequency and increasing the doses...I'm kind of scared to wonder how bad the damage or her condition could have been.

Sorry, I know not everybody cares about my follow-up, but it's not everyday I get to add something to the discussion. I'm sure there will always be people that will deny that Kratom can be harmful...but, for the few reports of liver toxicity that exist on the web, and the experience my GF just had...it's something I have to sincerely suggest people approach with caution.

I dont know if this is real or not but due to having fatty liver, i can "feel" when its under distress somehow, prob due to additional swelling. There is a sensation in your right side and for me it also results in an equal matching sensation in my right knee that always feels linked somehow.

Anyways, when i use Kratom this sensation becomes stronger like it does when i drink alot of alcohol. What this usually indicates is that there is AN effect but nothing to worry about since liver my issues never increase or become real issues with these drugs.

But I can say that my liver "feels" Kratom more then other opiates, even when far more high lots of H which don't cause any increased sensation or pain at all.

My doc has sort of confirmed this "ability" and calmed my concerns about related liver health issues.

Beyond that not sure, it never causes any real issues, just the feeling, but that's my experience.

Last edited:
I started taking kratom again, and have yet to develop any sign of hepotoxicity . I am keeping ny use spread out though with multiple days in between doses.

I think kratom is like tylenol a bit, some people can take lots of acetaminophen daily, while others get liver problems after taking just a couple of tylenols a day

Last edited:
^^ Yeah I would say definitely be careful or take liver tests if you already have liver issues or risks or just want to be 100% safe. I would say though that Kratom and liver issues could be something that can be safely done, managed and mitigated with just a little care.

Sorry, I know not everybody cares about my follow-up, but it's not everyday I get to add something to the discussion.

Actually it's quite the opposite, thank you for following up. Her case, and even though it may not be explicitly caused by the kratom, may serve as warning to other users with pre-existing liver conditions, or even those who want to be extra cautious and not take the risk.

Well holy shit reading this thread really concerns me. I've been using Kratom almost daily since September 2011. I used it every day lightly and then built up a tolerance to it, so I used a lot more every day. At my peak tolerance levels I was going through 8 ounces of ground bali every 12 days or less for 3 months or so. In my opinion, that is some heavy use.

As far as liver problems are concerned, my skin never changed colors or anything like that. I didn't experience any severe symptoms as far as I know.

The only syptoms I got after long term use was back pain that seemed to be coming from my kidneys, and I also developed very dark urine no matter how many clear fluids I drank. I even saw a urologist to see if it was something else, but they said everything was normal! I understand kratom is a "diuretic", so I gave up on kratom for a couple months and the symptoms went away.

Then I got back into kratom, and those symptoms never came back as of today, although I use only half as much as I used to, or I might use it every other day so this seems to help.

One important thing to note: I have been ordering kratom from the same (online) source, and never bought kratom off any other websites. I primarily use bali kratom, but I have also bought other strains such as super green, maeng da, red vein, ultra thai.

Bali gives me the best effects, so I don't think its worth the extra money for the other strains. I don't think the type of strain really made a difference in terms of my kidney pain I experienced a while back.

Last edited:
I am really glad for the followup and anecdotes. This plant really needs more study; until then, it's hard to determine cause and effect. I mean, a significant portion of current Kratom users have previously done things that could have affected their livers. A significant portion has not. But some all natural herbal teas can be harmful to the liver, as can many OTC things. So the whole thing would need multiple study groups to control for previous health, drug use, pre-existing conditions, how various liver enzymes are functioning ahead of time, etc. I think this plant has a lot of potential, but like so many things, just because it's natural (assuming no adulterants) doesn't automatically mean it's safe. Hope to God it's not the kratom but really no way to be sure.