• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Apart from l tyrosine what other supplements could boost my dopamine?

ebola- how would the conversion to l-dopa affect cognitive/pscyhological processes? Doesn't pure l-dopa, taken orally, need to be taken in ridiculous amounts to get any past the BBB? I'd always thoguht that was primary reason that supplemental l-dopa, w/o peripheral decarboxylate products like carbidopa, wasn't really desirable?

L-dopa is the intermediate compound in the biosynthetic conversion of tyrosine to dopamine. I wasn't talking about supplementation with l-dopa.

ebola

I have been taking both L-tyrosine and DL-phenylalanine, and after reading this thread I'm understanding that this is probably way overkill and may lead to down-regulation or other effects that may hinder my recovery after some time. With that said, if I take both in the morning a couple hours after taking my suboxone dose I can get HIGH. May as well be a full-agonist the way it makes me feel on the verge of nodding out. Since I'm almost out of L-tyrosine anyway I'll jsut stick with the DL-phenylalanine and take it more spaced out from my suboxone.

SLEEP! Having good sleep hygiene makes a huge difference in overall energy levels throughout the day. Being well-rested makes me more motivated... the more motivated I am, the more that I accomplish... the more that I accomplish, the more that I want to do... and consequently, I feel like that would influence my dopamine levels (without taking a vitamin or supplement).

Also, abstaining from coffee and other adenosine-binding stimulants, although painful at first, is probably a good long term plan in maximizing motivation/dopamine levels... because I sleep better off "the bean," which improves my overall energy levels.

dresden said:
d-amphetamine.

EauS6au.jpg

ebola

Citicoline... Doesn't increase dopamine but it increases the number of dopamine receptors.

Just to relate some personal experience regarding Citicoline... I find it helps keeps my speed cravings under control when I try to go cold turkey for an extended period (when nothing else seems to).

Tyrosine and phenylalanine are so dietarally opulent that the enzyme responsible for the conversion to l-dopa (tyrosine hydroxylase) is usually saturated, so we shouldn't expect much effect from supplementation. A generally good diet and opulent exercise does wonders in maintaining basal hedonic tone.

ebola
True, but supplementing w/ pure l-dopa would do something, though prolly not desirable unless you introduced a decarboxy inhib, but at that point we're talking pharmaceuticals (well... not necessarily? aren't some macuna extracts being standardized in a way that makes them have minimal pns effects? HP200 (think that's the code), an indian parkinson med that's about to get trademarked, seems pretty legit, though i doubt how much the OP actually understands about how desirable it is in a moderately-healthy person to 'boost DA'..)

(and did you read me last pm to you? Should I just forego writing up that 'report' I'd mentioned? Am still very much on the fence there :/ )
am quoting myself, but yeah you never responded? You shoulda told me the obvious, ie "don't peddle that OTC stimulant it's bad".. FWIW, it's scheduled in australia now lol

fucking lol

What if your body is faulty for some reason and doesn't produce enough dopamine or norepinephrine with just eating healthy and exercise?

..then you would have low dopamine ;) There was a story about a guy who had incredibly low da (maybe it was 5ht and not da?) his whole life, and he functioned normally.

After hearing almost nothing but positive reviews of Mucuna pruriens, I tried it for a week a few years back. It put me into a very strange and disconnected mindset that felt "wrong", and that lasted a few days after I'd stopped it.

Velvet Bean really impressed me.

velvet bean? are you referring to mucuna? (i do understand they're velvetty beans/whatever... and are quite irritating to the skin. supposedly there's 5ht in the outer layer that causes the skin sensation)

Velvet Bean = Mucuna Pruriens

I found it to be -
* Antianxiolytic
* Nootropic
* A fantastic adaptogen
* Mildly stimulating but also supports + stabilizes sleep.
* Synergizes well with both other herbs + drugs.
* Mildly aphrodisic + testosterogenic.

Velvet Bean is a great source of L-Dopa.

I had a source of high quality powder,
I don't know how commercial preperation go tho.

L-tyrosine to raise dopamine

Tyrosine and phenylalanine are so dietarally opulent that the enzyme responsible for the conversion to l-dopa (tyrosine hydroxylase) is usually saturated, so we shouldn't expect much effect from supplementation. A generally good diet and opulent exercise does wonders in maintaining basal hedonic tone.

ebola
Except when you have Fibromyalgia and have the gene mutations (SNPs) that make it almost impossible to produce dopamine. I have AK tested positive to need L-tyrosine every day for 3 years now. And I have significantly lowered my FM pain level! MOA/ mthfr, anyone?
Supplementation with nutrients that are commonly deficient in our soil, hence food, plus ones that are genetically deficient in you body can help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ligaturd, best advice I have read in a long time, thank you

Oh and I have also read some people recommending dl-phenylalanine as a better precursor to dopamine/norepinephrine, I haven't tried it but I would advise against making it a habit of taking supplements that are direct precursors to dopamine and norepinephrine and just being healthy after you get over that main hurdle and start leading a healthier lifestyle. I'm not positive but it seems like supplements like these can lead to down regulation of receptor sites and hinder recovery after a certain point because you are still relying on attaining heightened dopamine levels from an exogenous source similar to how taking amphetamines and opiates will cause this effect. To sum this all up, it's better to let your own body/mind do the job.[/QUOTE]