• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Apart from l tyrosine what other supplements could boost my dopamine?

Harambulus

Greenlighter
L tyrosine gives an ok initial rush but it only lasts about 30 mins. Just had 2 grams of l tyrosine it feels great to have that little rush of dopamine induced optimism to alleviate my usual constant gnawing paranoia and indecision.

ive found 2 grams seems to be around the best dose. ive dosed as high as 5 grams but it produces some dyphoria and weird burning smell in the nostrils at higher doses without greater effect.

Are there any other natural type things to add to my 'dopamine stack'

Not st johns wort i dont like that. Coffee gives me panic attacks.

kava seems to have noticable dopamine action but its too expensive and disgusting to consume as a regular so one for special occasions if at all.

Anything else?

Note that suggestions should be cost effective like l tyrosine to be faesible to take on a semi regular basis and benign in nature.

I have l theanine on deck, i find it good for reducing periphery effects of anxiety but not really to boost dopamine.

Last edited:
i know this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but since no one's responded i'll just say that dopamine (like most any neurotransmitters) production(endo) is maximized only when your diet/sleep/exercise are in-line. many ppl miss the forest for the trees, so to speak, in these regards, and they look for supplements that'd do a little, and miss the fact they could do a lot by fixing some of the basics that the body's proper functioning relies upon. whether it's ppl looking for dopamine/serotonin boosters for mood, or biotin for skin or melatonin for sleep, a lot tend to be oblivious to the fact that they'd achieve their ends WAY quicker/easier by doing the important, healthy things like eating right/sleeping adequate hours at a consistent schedule/ getting adequate exercise/exertion / getting proper mental stimulation (studying, working, hobbies, whatever)

sorry if that doesn't apply to you- the way i read your post gives me the impression you're not 100% on those basics; if so, then focusing there will go further towards dopamine and well-being in general.
[iirc, and sorry if i'm confusing you w/ someone else, but aren't you pretty knowledgeable on chemistry? have you considered, say, what your dietary intake of the amino acid precursors is? i'm not learneded(lol) enough on endo dopamine production to advise you on specific foods, but, let's say you're a vegetarian- you're very unlikely to be maximizing neurotrans production!)

I wouldn't get too crazy with the supplements. Eventually you want to taper off the l-tyrosine and maybe switch to taking dream water at night if you start having trouble sleeping.

i know this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but since no one's responded i'll just say that dopamine (like most any neurotransmitters) production(endo) is maximized only when your diet/sleep/exercise are in-line. Many ppl miss the forest for the trees, so to speak, in these regards, and they look for supplements that'd do a little, and miss the fact they could do a lot by fixing some of the basics that the body's proper functioning relies upon. Whether it's ppl looking for dopamine/serotonin boosters for mood, or biotin for skin or melatonin for sleep, a lot tend to be oblivious to the fact that they'd achieve their ends way quicker/easier by doing the important, healthy things like eating right/sleeping adequate hours at a consistent schedule/ getting adequate exercise/exertion / getting proper mental stimulation (studying, working, hobbies, whatever)

sorry if that doesn't apply to you- the way i read your post gives me the impression you're not 100% on those basics; if so, then focusing there will go further towards dopamine and well-being in general.
[iirc, and sorry if i'm confusing you w/ someone else, but aren't you pretty knowledgeable on chemistry? Have you considered, say, what your dietary intake of the amino acid precursors is? I'm not learneded(lol) enough on endo dopamine production to advise you on specific foods, but, let's say you're a vegetarian- you're very unlikely to be maximizing neurotrans production!)

^this

A regular cardio exercise routine, maybe some protein powder with a good amino acid complex as the main method of producing more dopamine endogenously. l-tyrosine is usually something I take when coming off of opioids at the start after the physical withdrawal is nearly over to give me a boost, help give me energy and lessen the depression/amotivational syndrome a bit but I usually stop taking it once I have started a somewhat regular exercise routine and eat healthy and intake lots of protein and amino acids. Protein and amino acids are essential for your body to have to produce neurotransmitters such as dopamine.

Oh and I have also read some people recommending dl-phenylalanine as a better precursor to dopamine/norepinephrine, I haven't tried it but I would advise against making it a habit of taking supplements that are direct precursors to dopamine and norepinephrine and just being healthy after you get over that main hurdle and start leading a healthier lifestyle. I'm not positive but it seems like supplements like these can lead to down regulation of receptor sites and hinder recovery after a certain point because you are still relying on attaining heightened dopamine levels from an exogenous source similar to how taking amphetamines and opiates will cause this effect. To sum this all up, it's better to let your own body/mind do the job.

Last edited:
Eating a well-balanced diet is one of the strongest methods of increasing and balancing your level of dopamine. Most sources of the supplements you could take can be found in food. In my opinion, it is more effective to get the nutrients through digesting food.

Check out this book, it's realllly good and it covers a lot of the stuff you're asking about :

The Food-Mood Solution: All-Natural Ways to Banish Anxiety, Depression, Anger, Stress, Overeating, and Alcohol and Drug Problems--and Feel Good Again

If you notice that L-tyrosine isn't providing the same effects as prior dosing, it's most likely attributed to your brain running on optimal levels. If you were to discontinue use for a few days it's likely that you'd notice it when you took it again.

I swear by L-tyrosine, take it about 4 times a week, only ever 500mg at a time on an empty stomach. I did however just get n-acetyl l-tyrosine, which I am excited to try.

I agree with the previous replies about taking a holistic approach to health and trying to get your nutrients through food sources when possible. My two cents on this subject is to try One World Whey. It's a raw, unheated whey from grass fed cows. It's Amino Acid content is excellent. Also, there is a herb called Macuna Pruriens, which is one of the highest (if not the single highest) plant sources of L-Dopa.

After hearing almost nothing but positive reviews of Mucuna pruriens, I tried it for a week a few years back. It put me into a very strange and disconnected mindset that felt "wrong", and that lasted a few days after I'd stopped it. I was afraid I'd fucked my brain for good. The only thing that brought back my old mindstate was taking 200mg 5-htp, interestingly enough. I don't recommend this plant.

Exercise ftw.

You're looking to boost the dopamine transmission in your limbic system / reward pathways specifically, right? All dopamine precursors do is fill up your DA vesicles on presynaptic neurons to the brim, meaning little bits will spill out and cross the synapse every now and then, indiscriminately around the brain, and peripheral nervous system for that matter too. They don't have a damn thing to do with the conduction of action potentials down the presynaptic neuron and releasing large bursts of DA. Not all DA transmission in the brain and body feels good.

^good post :D

i have ZERO clue what the mechanism is, but i've read about vitaminD in relation to mood several times in the past few days, was convinced enough to grab some last night (just need to figure out what my dosage is ;P ). again i've got zero clue how, but vitaminD supplementation seems solid. will report back when i have something of value to say LOL.

UAmoBqe.gif

3ZVcceG.gif

"Depression-free, Naturally," Joan Matthews-Larson

http://books.google.com/books?id=VRZVAiyWfIIC&pg=PA185

I get the point of literally every supplement maker in the world over-stating the dosages...

$$$

As with anything and everything it only makes sense to start low, and develop a tolerance in a normal manner and establish effects profiles.

I noticed with my first 500mg cap of L-Tyrosine a significant difference in mindset and motivation. I have gifted at least ten of these capsules to ten of my different friends for a night after drinking, a bad mood, headache, lack of motivation. A multitude of reasons. And at least 80% of them had similar positive effects as I did.

In no way, shape or form does 3-6 grams of L-Tyrosine seems necessary. I get the "established therapeutic value". But really in doses that high all they're doing is eliminating the potential of effects being perceived as placebo.

This reminds me of piracetam, when "optimal doses" are 2.5-5g a day. And I noticed effects starting off at 1g with no attack dose. Why start at 2.5-5g a day, or 3-6 in tyrosine's case when all that will mean down the line is more money most likely wasted.

Increase omega threes

Increasing omega 3 fatty acids, especially DHA, will increase dopamine levels by up to 40%.

A regular cardio exercise routine, maybe some protein powder with a good amino acid complex as the main method of producing more dopamine endogenously. l-tyrosine is usually something I take when coming off of opioids at the start after the physical withdrawal is nearly over to give me a boost, help give me energy and lessen the depression/amotivational syndrome a bit but I usually stop taking it once I have started a somewhat regular exercise routine and eat healthy and intake lots of protein and amino acids. Protein and amino acids are essential for your body to have to produce neurotransmitters such as dopamine.

Oh and I have also read some people recommending dl-phenylalanine as a better precursor to dopamine/norepinephrine, I haven't tried it but I would advise against making it a habit of taking supplements that are direct precursors to dopamine and norepinephrine and just being healthy after you get over that main hurdle and start leading a healthier lifestyle. I'm not positive but it seems like supplements like these can lead to down regulation of receptor sites and hinder recovery after a certain point because you are still relying on attaining heightened dopamine levels from an exogenous source similar to how taking amphetamines and opiates will cause this effect. To sum this all up, it's better to let your own body/mind do the job.
A good balanced diet is really what you need, if you don't get enough fats for your body to take energy from, it will take energy from the proteins you consume rendering them useless for the production of neurotransmitters.

Citicoline... Doesn't increase dopamine but it increases the number of dopamine receptors.

Increasing omega 3 fatty acids, especially DHA, will increase dopamine levels by up to 40%.
What product label are you reading that off of?

A good balanced diet is really what you need, if you don't get enough fats for your body to take energy from, it will take energy from the proteins you consume rendering them useless for the production of neurotransmitters.
'Is all you really need'? He's asking what type of supplements would boost dopamine, that kind of presupposes the diet's in place (or, at least, it's not open to manipulation)
And ftr, the body doesn't 'utilize' proteins to step in for fatty acid deficiencies, the body requires some fats (the 'essential fatty acids') just like it requires certain proteins('essential amino acids'), and these cannot step in for each other (I think that both can step in for carbs' role in blood sugar/glucose, however, usually in ketosis)

Citicoline... Doesn't increase dopamine but it increases the number of dopamine receptors.
Am very curious to hear your source or logic for that claim :/

Save money on this Great L- tyrosine!

≈;11256078 said:
L tyrosine gives an ok initial rush but it only lasts about 30 mins. Just had 2 grams of l tyrosine it feels great to have that little rush of dopamine induced optimism to alleviate my usual constant gnawing paranoia and indecision.

ive found 2 grams seems to be around the best dose. ive dosed as high as 5 grams but it produces some dyphoria and weird burning smell in the nostrils at higher doses without greater effect.

Are there any other natural type things to add to my 'dopamine stack'

Not st johns wort i dont like that. Coffee gives me panic attacks.

kava seems to have noticable dopamine action but its too expensive and disgusting to consume as a regular so one for special occasions if at all.

Anything else?

Note that suggestions should be cost effective like l tyrosine to be faesible to take on a semi regular basis and benign in nature.

I have l theanine on deck, i find it good for reducing periphery effects of anxiety but not really to boost dopamine.

Save money on this Great L- tyrosine!
I practice Applied Kinesiology (everyone can do it!) and have always AK tested before I take any supplement. I suffer from Chronic Fatigue since the 90s and Fibromyalgia since '08 + have used and depended on tyrosine for more than 3 years to stimulate dopamine, and suppress pain. Since I started, I have Consistently cut my FM pain by 75% +! At first I needed 2000mgs (4- 500mg caps) l-Tyrosine every PM (Always on empty stomach in between meals!). But for the last 6 months I have only needed (AK tested) 1000 mgs. I am disabled and have a Very low income , so I have done extensive research to find the best quality product at the Lowest Cost. I am SO thankful to God for L-tyrosine!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Tyrosine and phenylalanine are so dietarally opulent that the enzyme responsible for the conversion to l-dopa (tyrosine hydroxylase) is usually saturated, so we shouldn't expect much effect from supplementation. A generally good diet and opulent exercise does wonders in maintaining basal hedonic tone.

ebola

ebola- how would the conversion to l-dopa affect cognitive/pscyhological processes? Doesn't pure l-dopa, taken orally, need to be taken in ridiculous amounts to get any past the BBB? I'd always thoguht that was primary reason that supplemental l-dopa, w/o peripheral decarboxylate products like carbidopa, wasn't really desirable?

(and did you read me last pm to you? Should I just forego writing up that 'report' I'd mentioned? Am still very much on the fence there :/ )