• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

My experience so far: Memantine for Adderall tolerance reduction

EmSmith

Greenlighter
Hey all,

I just created an account specifically for this post, but I have been reading posts in the forums for months. My tolerance to adderall has gotten pretty bad, so I followed the advice of many posters on this site and have started taking Memantine to lower it. I wanted to share my experience so far with you all and hopefully get some advice/feedback.

Let me start with a bit of background:

I was diagnosed with ADD/ADHD in junior high, but I didn't start taking medication until college. I also have generalized anxiety, and while I hate it, it seems to be the motivating force for me in life. I believe my anxiety is the reason I was able to make great grades throughout high school despite being unmedicated.

In high school, my pattern was basically: procrastinate—start getting really anxious—realize the project/homework/essay is due tomorrow—stay up all night working—get an A. I graduated with honors and got into my school of choice, but soon realized that my "strategy" didn't work at the university level. I was a disorganized mess and it was clear that I needed help. After making it through a tumultuous freshman year without medication, I finally had enough and went to see my psychiatrist.

He prescribed me 15 mg of Adderall (after trying a variety of other medications), and I started getting my life under control. Along with therapy and time-management courses, the adderall helped me become more organized and get things done in a timely manner. It did tend to make my anxiety worse sometimes (especially social and speaking anxiety), but it was worth it to finally have my act together.

Fast forward to now.

Over the past 3 years my dosage has been increased from 15 mg, to 25, to 30, and finally to 40 mg. My tolerance to adderall has become really bad over the past several months, to the point where I have to take more medication than prescribed on some days and I'm running out early. My psychiatrist doesn't think it's a good idea to raise my dose any further, and I kind of agree with him as I can see this leading into a bad pattern, but I really need help focusing now more than ever.

In my undergrad I would keep my tolerance under control by taking my medication as little as possible with long breaks over the summer and winter holidays, but since I've graduated my new circumstances don't allow me to do that. I am now in my second semester of an extremely demanding 2-year masters degree program which requires me to take 20+ hours every semester, as well as classes during the summer and winter holidays. Thus, long medication breaks are pretty much out of the question.

So I've been trying to find another way to lower my tolerance.

I've tried magnesium and DXM, but have had less-than-stellar results. The magnesium helped some and I still take it, but it's just not enough. And the DXM just seemed to just make me tired and loopy and made no noticeable difference in my medication.

I read several posts suggesting memantine, so I ordered some and have been taking it for almost 4 weeks now. I started at 5 mg daily, then titrated up to 10 mg (5 mg twice daily), then 15 mg (10 mg in morning, 5 in afternoon), and now 20 mg (10 mg twice daily). I have been taking my adderall only 3-4 days a week and just the memantine by itself on the other days.

I experienced the brain fog for about a day every time I raised my dose, but I got over that pretty quickly. Taken by itself, the memantine actually seems to make me feel more social and outgoing. It also lowers my anxiety a lot. Almost too much, to the point where I no longer have the worrying feeling that drives me to get things done.

And it has definitely had an impact on the way my adderall affects me, but not necessarily in a good way. Here are the positive and negative affects memantine has had on my adderall so far:

Positives
I don't really experience crashes when coming off adderall anymore.
I feel a lot more mellow during the day.

Negatives
I feel less driven to work than I do with adderall alone.
Sometimes I feel a little spacey during the day (ex. Making spelling mistakes while writing that I normally don't make, etc.)
Severe insomnia, even on days when I don't take adderall.

But the biggest problem is, it doesn't seem to have reduced my tolerance at all. Not even in the slightest bit. In fact, sometimes I feel like I need to take more (though I haven't) due to the lack of drive that memantine seems to be contributing to. I'm kind of disheartened, seeing as the whole point of me taking this medication was to lower my adderall tolerance.

It may be too early to see any results, but I would imagine that since I am experiencing all of the other effects I should be seeing some degree of lowered tolerance by now...what do you all think? Has anyone else taken this combination or know anything about the effects of memantine? Any advice/feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Em

Hi Em, welcome to Bluelight :)
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the idea was that all of these (magnesium, DXM, memantine) are supposed to help slow your tolerance from rising further as opposed to actually lowering it?

Dude this is more blog matrerial than anything

Nmda antagonists like memantine don't reduce tolerance, rather they halt the increase of tolerance or in other wordsx they keep tolerance at bay

I've heard of memantine slowing down and reversing tolerance development to opioids, but never heard it used for amphetamine. Is there research or some source that convinced you to try this?

I know this old but I have some answers you may be seeking. I?ve taken adderall since 2005 off and on, but mostly on. I am currently prescribed 2-30mg iR a day. Do you take instant release or extended release? If you take the extended release there?s your problem. Because they take that 40mg and dose it out over the span of a whole day you don?t get what you need out of and you tire out your brain for a longer span of the day. Memantine is most beneficial at around 2.5mg -5mg and only for a short time. The goal is not to max your brain out. It?s to use the memantine to stop the furthering of the adderall Tolerance and get some of the benefits back from it. I don?t foresee it working for you though if you are constantly using the adderall. It?s easier for you if you get yourself in a routine that your body can get with. And if you keep raising the adderall and it?s not doing it for you anymore maybe consider to go another route. Your searching for a cure for your brain in the ADHD side when maybe you should be trying the anxiety social side. The serotonin may actually be what?s askew rather than the dopamine. Meds that help with serotonin are antidepressants. I know a lady I work with that takes both adderall and an antidepressant and that chick is zooming every day. Lol I giggle at how good she must be feeling because she?s on another level. Maybe try to talk to your psychiatrist about adding an antidepressant to it and lowering the adderall? Give yourself a break from the adderall a bit because I?ve never took mine to the extreme and it works fine for me still.

I just Memantine 3 days ago at 5mg. I’m not sure if this is even scientifically possible but I’ve noticed the complete opposite. I find I’m needing more and more Adderall than normal and I tend to procrastinate much more than when I was just using Adderall alone. The only thing I found that lets me reduce Adderall tolerance is if I add a very low opiate Dallas. Like maybe 3-5mg oxy. I tried Bromantane and 9-me-bc and basically felt nothing so I was thinking Memantine has to work but for some reason but It’s done the complete opposite. I’m hoping maybe it just takes more time than three days to start working and more than 5 mg to decrease Adderall tolerance.

Built240, IMO you didnt do it right.

You need to take Memantine for at least a week to see positive results, about 10 days is best IME. It has a very looooong half life so dont start with 5mg a day, unless you want to find yourself feeling quite unreal and freaky.
I recommend to start with 2.5mg for the first 3 days, then 5mg (if your body and mind tolerate it well) for the next 3 days, then lower the dose every day until 0. Memantine pairs very well with Magnesium and Agmatine to increase overall effect.

It makes me feel quite rejuvenated with resetted tolerances to pretty much every drug. Side effects is definite foggy memory and increased appetite. I find taking nootropics after the Memantibe treatment cures it within days - I use Noopept, Aniracetam and Centrophenoxine mainly.

Be very careful with Memantine! Do not do foolish stuff like taking dozens of milligrams at your first take! The stuff is really powerful, but takes forever to start working.

Built240, IMO you didnt do it right.

You need to take Memantine for at least a week to see positive results, about 10 days is best IME. It has a very looooong half life so dont start with 5mg a day, unless you want to find yourself feeling quite unreal and freaky.
I recommend to start with 2.5mg for the first 3 days, then 5mg (if your body and mind tolerate it well) for the next 3 days, then lower the dose every day until 0. Memantine pairs very well with Magnesium and Agmatine to increase overall effect.

It makes me feel quite rejuvenated with resetted tolerances to pretty much every drug. Side effects is definite foggy memory and increased appetite. I find taking nootropics after the Memantibe treatment cures it within days - I use Noopept, Aniracetam and Centrophenoxine mainly.

Be very careful with Memantine! Do not do foolish stuff like taking dozens of milligrams at your first take! The stuff is really powerful, but takes forever to start working.

I backed it down to 2.5 mg and I’m going to ride that out for about a week then go to 5mg.

I just started Tianeptine after reading this:

Tianeptine Enhances the mesolimbic (pleasure center) release of dopamine and potentiating the dopamine receptors (DRD2 and DRD3 receptors). I believe those of the same receptors that induce addictive properties so Tianeptine seems like a great option when tapering off amphetamines.

Last edited:
I also noticed that Memantine didn?t help at all for tolerance. In fact it made me crave amphetamines more. I wonder why?