• Find All Reports by Search Term
    Find Reports
    Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Kanna (Sceletium Tortuosum) - I have used you for everything , you truly are magical

how fast and to which degree does tolerance set in with this substance?

I seem to recall the OP has said that after a couple of months he will not get the same result with it, so takes a break for a month or so, then goes back on it.
He also mentioned reverse tolerance:

Kanna displays reverse tolerance, priming is essential Sometimes you need to use it for a few days in a row as the psychoactive effects compound as I would like to call it. This week I have been eating and swallowing Kanna taking it subingually and today I proceeded to Snort Kanna two small lines. Effects amplify after daily usage, snorting it is highly potent little powder is required for very strong effects. It is Narcotic, Anxiolytic in Nature very calming The high is a lot better than Kratom.
grin.gif
Appreciation of Music is increased, Intense Muscular relaxation happens I feel powerful knots in my stomach and intense muscular relaxation across my whole back , Increased relaxation, Euphoria , a good relaxed feeling. The Muscular relaxation is very intense as well, I feel knots in my stomach , knots in my stomach and my whole body has a very strong body high similiar to Marijuana and more intense than Kratom. Dont throw away your Kanna buy it from a good vendor and give it a shot and remember for most potent effects Priming is essential. This week all methods of consumption worked for me but I felt very strong effects from Snorting and swallowing the powder. A narcotic effect. It is like an antidepressant but a lot better. It is like MDMA or MDA or methylone but opposite a lot more mellow, sedating instead of stimulating.It has synergistic effects with Coffee as well.
I think Kanna is one of the mellow things out there most certainly a powerful Herbal Antidepressant. You have no idea how good of a high I got today on Kanna. The kanna high is 10 times better than the Kratom high.
biggrin.gif

edit: found the post where he mentions taking a one month break after 2 months:

When I indicated Kanna acts like an SSRI , this is cause just like them Kanna has to be taken maybe for a couple of days to feel full effects usually after 2 to 3 days. It has reverse tolerance however. Kanna is Euphoric as compared to the Conventional pharmaceutical antidepressants, and it makes you feel alive it doesnt numb your emotions, it opens you up makes you feel good and it doesnt impair sexual function rather boosting it. These differences in effects indicates that Kanna doesnt act exactly like SSRI there is no comedown with Kanna and no withdrawal syndrome , I will say there is maybe some slight Psychological dependency but after using Kanna for 2 months its effects decrease and you need to take a 1 month break for tolerance to decrease again, so initially Kanna has reverse tolerance and then after 2 months it gains tolerance and no matter how much you dose the euphoric and mood boosting effects disappear this was the case with me and after taking a break for a month or two the effects reappeared . Kanna seems to act as a nonselective Serotonin reuptake inhibitor, It also acts as Phosphodiesterase 4 Inhibitor , a synthetic phosphodiesterase 4 inhibitor is Rolipram and its used for CNS disorders and inflammation and Neurological diseases . Because of this dual action Kanna has very rapid effects, also Kanna acts on Dopamine, Nicotine receptors and it seems to balance ones Neurotransmitter levels. Its awesome, but a lot of bs is sold out there, if you need a good brand of kanna or some advice ask me.

I think the Kanna source I linked to above is very good.

Last edited:
aguythatlikessmoke: What an awsome post (as usual, that is ;)). This is comprehensive information, and it empowers me to embark on my kanna journey.

Now, I would love to know:
1) What amount of kanna powder would you recommend for a beginner? Of course, I realize that everybody is different, and that your opinion would only have an indicative value.

2) How to best to use kanna powder? Snorting is out of the question for me..... I guess mixing your kanna with water would be the best way to go?

Altamisal: Thank you, too, for this very useful information. You appear to be getting good quality kanna from your source. I am just wondering if it might be the same source aguywholikessmoke is using. Besides, it might be useful for all of us have several different sources.....

Also: kanna boosts cognitive function for both you, Altamisal, and aguywholikessmoke.

I was wondering if you guys had anything to say about kanna's effect on physical performance. For instance, is it likely to help with aerobic exercise in terms of endurance?

Thanks for letting me know.

Altamisal: Thank you, too, for this very useful information. You appear to be getting good quality kanna from your source. I am just wondering if it might be the same source aguywholikessmoke is using. Besides, it might be useful for all of us have several different sources.....

Could be the same. Mine is from Africa, too. Label says, "Grown in Namibia." There's a lot of places to buy Kanna online. I was just looking at the IAmShaman site, they have a good assortment of Kanna products. I note that their capsules are 300 mg. each while the bottle I have is 100 mg. So today I am trying a 300 mg. dose, 3 capsules. :)

Also: kanna boosts cognitive function for both you, Altamisal, and aguywholikessmoke.

I was wondering if you guys had anything to say about kanna's effect on physical performance. For instance, is it likely to help with aerobic exercise in terms of endurance?

Thanks for letting me know.

Yes, I note the boost in cognitive function. The other day my son told me a funny story of something that happened, and I posted about it on my Facebook page. When my son read it, he told me I had a good memory because I recounted it just as he told it to me.

And I do note my aerobic capacity is high, I can go for long walks, often walking uphill, with no fatigue. But then, I am also focusing a lot on eating and living healthfully.

Wonderful, Altamisal! It's also great that you have decided to focus on your eating and a healthful lifestyle. I have gone organic years ago, and never looked back, so I know exactly how important that is...

Still, I am sure that kanna is adding to that feeling of well-being, making it easier for you to go on those nice long walks, uphill, and everything, with no fatigue. WOW!

I can't wait to get my own kanna (I live in a remote place at this particular time, and for me, the logistics of getting this herb here are a little complicated). I am planning to get started on kava, too, but I would introduce one, then the other one. Will keep you posted, of course. Cheers!

Also: What amount of kanna powder are you using, and which way? ;)

Also: What amount of kanna powder are you using, and which way? ;)

Right now I'm using capsules. I recently upped the dose of my 100 mg. capsules to 3. I usually take it first thing on getting up.
I try to make sure to do all my exercises after taking it, because exercise helps potentiate the herb.

IMO if you take kanna, you don't need kava. In my experience, kanna is a powerful relaxant while at the same time it boosts cognition and focus. But by all means, experiment :)
Last night I painted a new picture and it happened faster than usual...will fine-tune it today.

Hope you can get your stock of kanna in soon :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone have any experience with LSD and kanna, if not together then how long after a kanna dose should I wait before dropping. Rumour has it it will diminish the effect but kanna has a relatively short half life so I'm thinking give it a buffer day after my biweekly dose (I find this is the best compromise between priming buildup and tolerance)

Does anyone have any experience with LSD and kanna, if not together then how long after a kanna dose should I wait before dropping. Rumour has it it will diminish the effect but kanna has a relatively short half life so I'm thinking give it a buffer day after my biweekly dose (I find this is the best compromise between priming buildup and tolerance)

So what was your biweekly dose? Kanna acts similar to SSRI's IME so it will take some time for the serotonin balance to come to "base" after stopping.

I have used Kanna many times, using fermented kind, in doses of 50mg of extract daily for a week or two; or it can be used single time at dose around 80-100mg for staying up easy and reducing appetite. I have never combined it with psychedelics but had a natural feel to wait out after Kanna before taking anything just because I'm not a fan of feeling underdosed :D

If possible I'd give it at least a couple of days after a systemic Kanna use, so the time and LSD would be spent at best! ;)

I usually order 50g of fermented tea cut kanna at a time, using a (very sturdy) grinder I normally roll a "joint" using about 0.3g eyeballed into a long thin roll to avoid clogging due to the hard black ash that forms when it is burned.

I'd have maybe two of these per week and sometimes maybe chain a few for a weird trippy stoned feeling (I prefer it to xanax any day) I cut back last month and have rarely indulged more than once every two weeks.

I now only use it for its amazing synergy with weed, or maybe rail a few lines before a night out to get that warm comfortable feeling without needing to become the asshole I am on coke

As for a daily dose, I can see how its beneficial to people as a medication, but I'm blessed enough to feel alright at the minute so my use is purely recreational.

I've been off it for most of this month and only had two small rollups to get over a bad exam result, hopefully that won't be enough to kill my trip

Thanks for input

I've been off it for most of this month and only had two small rollups to get over a bad exam result, hopefully that won't be enough to kill my trip
Thanks for input
Smoking it surely has an immediate effect (just don't burn it too much!)...8) dissipates quite quickly for me but worthy of trying and I agree it potentiates cannabis nicely! :D

If you are not taking it orally on a daily basis, IMO you have nothing to worry about in terms of tripping - trip easy and have fun! ;)

Reporting back afterwards, trip was a mixed bag, first time on LSD probably shouldn't have gone for the bong and edibles too, had a bit of a panic attack when I couldn't feel my left arm and I had tingling numbness in my chest,

I DO NOT think this was due to any residual mesembrine/ other kanna alkaloids in my system, more likely impurities in the acid causing vasoconstriction which I normally experience intensely when using LSD precursors like LSA

and I did find the mild kanna buzz quite sobering the day after the trip and useful to ground myself to baseline

Well that's ironic. Life can be odd. I just googled Sceletium Tortuosum ten seconds ago because a friend was sold an extract passed off as Opium for a shitload of money (200€ for 2.6g). After not feeling much from smoking .5g he gave the other two to me. Ate them, felt nothing. Gonna take that fucking crook's "shaman" store apart if that motherfucker won't pay back twice what he charged. Rarely have I been this mad. Fucking fraudulent piece of shit reportedly even deceived and poisoned kids. The world would be better off without people like that.