• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Low dose mdma?

I was thinking about making a thread on this. I got some (tested) pure MDMA the other day. I did an allergy test of around 10 mgs, expecting not to feel anything. Around 40 mins later I actually felt a small, short rush, which was surprising. A couple hours later I decided to try 60 mg, and didn't feel anything except for some anxiety and general shittiness a couple hours later. I plan on trying the full 120 mg dose soon.

My first couple of MDMA trips helped me become less socially awkward in general I think, but this came from personal insights by having intense experiences on decent (~130mg) doses, just taking low doses may not give you this useful 'experience' and would still be draining your brain of serotonin, which is generally not good for anxiety, so other than probably making you a bit happier and more sociable while you're on it, it may be a waste of time. I don't think the positive benefits of MDMA come directly from it's effects on your brain, they come from using the experience to work through your issues or inspire you to work through your issues, like how psychedelics work. That is what defines a psychedelic IMO, not the amount of visuals or mindfuck, which is why I consider MDMA a full (although non-classical) psychedelic.

My first couple of MDMA trips helped me become less socially awkward in general I think, but this came from personal insights by having intense experiences on decent (~130mg) doses, just taking low doses may not give you this useful 'experience' and would still be draining your brain of serotonin, which is generally not good for anxiety, so other than probably making you a bit happier and more sociable while you're on it, it may be a waste of time. I don't think the positive benefits of MDMA come directly from it's effects on your brain, they come from using the experience to work through your issues or inspire you to work through your issues, like how psychedelics work. That is what defines a psychedelic IMO, not the amount of visuals or mindfuck, which is why I consider MDMA a full (although non-classical) psychedelic.
I would consider taking 180mg at a rave and 'rolling balls' a waste of time.
I do not consider taking 60mg for a quiet, empathic night with someone I care for a waste of time.

It is very subjective.

The SE depletion, ergo the emotional aftermath, is less at lower doses, too.

MDMA's psychoactive effects are what permits you to 'use your experience' as a tool for improvement.
Its psychoactive effects ARE the experience.
The empathy and drive to 'work through issues' comes as a result of its activity.

Stimulants also give me the energy, motivation and drive to achieve a goal.
If my goal was to 'work through my issues' - would that make Cocaine a psychedelic?

I'm not taking about doing it at a rave at all, I'm talking about doing it with very close friend(s) or SO, maybe even alone, in a home environment, at a dose strong enough to give you the breakthrough personal experience you might need. 120mg in very similar circumstances to that for me was very useful for helping me think about and address my social anxiety, however I have done 80mg in the same circumstances and it just wasn't a powerful enough experience for me to get the breakthrough feeling I had before.

What I mean is at low doses the psychological effects are low too, and it is those that offer the benefit, not merely the fact that it is releasing a bit of serotonin, which still happens at a low dose. I didn't mean that psychedelics stimulate you to work through your issues, they manifest your mind into the experience and show you your problems that you have pushed to the back of your mind, and let you work through them, MDMA being especially good at this as it gives you the mood lift and cognitive boost required to make that process easier, without going too deep into your psyche as to overwhelm you like more traditional psychedelics.

MDMA at a rave would be a massive waste imo, in a lot of respects, but especially for personal development. And hey man, these are just my opinions from my personal experiences

Last edited:
Has anyone here tried mdma in low doses? (40 to 60 mg) I'm interested in it's therapeutic potential (if there are any) for social anxiety.

If i were to take a low dose of mdma before a social gathering of some sort, would it help me in being more social and talkative? Would it be noticeable i was on a drug?

I'm aware of the dangers of mdma. I would only be doing this on very few social occasions.

Social anxiety is strengthen by negative experiences during social interactions and not by avoidance as many people believe. I was thinking maybe a low dose of mdma could ensure some positive experiences in particular challenging social situations and build from there?

I have tried cognitive behavioral therapy and it did't work. I have been offered medication, but i declined. I don't like the idea of taking medicine everyday. I don't believe it's effective in treating social anxiety either.

I'm going to try mdma for the first time next week and i'm not interested in rolling hard and partying. I'm interested in it's effects in low doses only.

Anyone here with some experience in taking low doses of mdma occasionally?

I believe Alexander Shulgin said 50 or 60 MG didn't produce a result

I read this forum as i was coming up on what i thought was a 50mg dose. I didn't weigh it out (i know it's stupid) and just guessed 50mg but because i still had to drive home later (only 5 min) my guess was a bit conservative and looking back now i think i probably took about 30-40 max. I also wrapped it in a rolling paper causing the effects to be delayed. Just to clarify: i have a high tolerance for MDMA even though i very rarely use it because i have done permanent damage to my seratonin receptors by abusing MDMA when i was 16 always taking at least 330mg and one time i even took 500mg pure crystals while i was sleep deprived and hadn't slept the day before and i ended up seeing 100% realistic people and cars and criminals and gangs everywhere while i waa riding a bicycle home at 3AM on a weeknight and there was literally nobody outside.

Anyway, back to the experience. About 1 hour in i got some placebo effects like usual and after about 1.5 hours i was starting to get impatient and like some person above mentioned i only felt the jittery come-up feelings but no euphoria or love feeling or anything. It is my first time trying a really small dose just to see what it does for me. I am experienced with MDMA and that's why i didn't take the effort of weighing it out at a friend's house and just guessed. I was being careful so to be honest if i wasn't careful i would have gotten very close to my desired dose. Anyway, after 02:10 hours i decided that i was wasting an experience and redosed. Again just by guessing lol.. Well, as you can expect i went quite a bit over my desired dose. It has now almost completely worn off and i'm just smoking a joint and going to bed. If i have to guess i think i probably redosed about 50-70 more precisely i'd say about 65 and the first was probably 35 because together they feel like 100mg. I didn't initially plan to go higher than 50 but because i stupidly underdosed i ended up taking too much because i didn't want to waste the experience with that underwhelming 30-40 mg feeling and feel shitty days after for an experience i didn't even enjoy. I know for sure this was really good MDMA but for me a 30-40mg is literally more like amphetamine. Some people feel really good on amphetamine, but i happen to be someone who just can't enjoy it. It just makes me jittery and it feels like i need to stretch my legs but stretching them doesn't help and almost seems to make it worse. Just those kinds of symptoms + sweating alot without any euphoria. So i really couldn't enjoy a very low dose. Too bad i was dumb and didn't weigh it out, because i think if i initially dosed about 50-60 it would have been more likely for me to be satisfied with the slight euphoric and zen state. I will probably try it again some time in the future and weigh it out properly. The second dose suprised me as i didn't roll that one up i just drank the crystals with water and it started hitting me after like 25 minutes and well i was satisfied with that feeling because it was overwhelmimg enough to enjoy. But yeah like i said my tolerance is really high and i have just been completely calm through the entire experience. 100mg isn't even enough to boost my energy anymore but it gives a nice buzz. It's just stupid that i will now face the consequences of my decisions because i didn't dose properly. That's the moral of the story i guess.

Shulgin reported +1 at 81 mg. I would say that's the starting point for psychoactive effects. Maybe at 60 mg you get a hint of something but I don't think you can rule out placebo.

I started taking ecstasy to relieve social anxiety and general anxiety and the results were not as expected. With doses high enough to roll, the things I was exposed to while on E a year ago inspire happiness and calmness today. In my case, I was watching an anime I hated and tossed while sober but enjoyed while rolling. I fell in love with the female protagonist and today she still puts a smile on my face. That's an example of a positive long-term effect of mdma. If you rolled with a significant other, I think you'd get awesome results, especially if you already love her.

As for frequent low-dose mdma intake, forget it. I took 75mg and it didn't do jack shit. You'll get no positive effects in the foreground while the negative effects in the background will mushroom and you'll grow more and more depressed as you drain your serotonin levels.