• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Detox Home Remedy....imodium / anacid / tonic water

The fact that you called xanax zanies threw me off. I'm 22 and my mom would have the slightest clue wth xanax or a zanny is. I think thats what he is referring to and other things when he is saying "from the horses mouth"

EXACTLY the type of lingo and language I was talking about, thanks Mass08.

My mother takes the occasional Xanax even, and would have NO idea what I was talking about if I said "zanny".

^ Just because she's actually in touch with modern drugs and isn't all from the stone ages calling marijuana "reefer" doesn't mean she's a troll. I talk to my dad about EVERYTHING. Shooting up, meth binges, crashing my boyfriends car on benzos... I don't really do crazy shit anymore but you get the picture. He's more knowledgeable on drugs than most BLers with the exception of some of the brains on ADD. And he knows a lot of the drug slang too. Not all parents base all their information on anti drug sites.

I have to disagree with your point that people who have used heroin longer and have lost more are more likely to not relapse on heroin. The more you use the more fucked up your brain is going to be... a hardcore heroin addict is going to have nonexistent endorphin receptors and it could be years till they're producing endorphins naturally and actually feeling GOOD. So wtf is the point? Many of them will keep using till they die. My dad is facing that same dilemma... opiate addiction for over 10 yrs and doesn't know if he can even be normal without them. And even if he could, how many years would it take for his actual endorphins, not artificial endorphins created by opiates, to start working again.

I've met a lot of bupe and methadone patients, NONE of them have ever told me their taper was painless. Same goes for BL. I'm not saying maintenance drugs are bad, I strongly support them. Methadone has made me functional again. But not everyone who is dependent on opiates should go on maintenance... for relatively new users it's better to have them try and get off completely before trying bupe or mdone and becoming dependent on it. And I think the whole swapping one addiction for another thing is a flawed argument. Physical dependence is different from addiction.

Clemsmom, I'm not anti maintenance medication in the slightest. I'm currently on methadone. But the first time around I quit a huge Oxycontin habit cold turkey with benzos and a good detox kit. It was absolute hell and I only made it three months sober but I wish I had stuck it out once I got past the hard part. Because after a heroin habit and now methadone my brain is way more out of wack and it's going to be so much worse getting off methadone completely.. it will be years till I'm normal not months. What is normal anyway?

I just don't think it's right to turn to drugs to fix problems caused BY drugs. If he's set on buprenorphine, okay. That's a decision only he can make. But he needs to do it right. Most doctors prescribe way too much bupe.. it's proven that a very slow dose is best. It needs to be a steady dose, going up and down is not good for an addict. Have him take 2mg every single day, no decreases or increases in less he'll still having WD symptoms.

The only true cure is healthy habits and TIME. The receptors in his brain will normalize on their own.. personally I think getting to the point where you're not trying to get that quick fix and instant results through drugs but instead working and waiting for real results is a big step toward having a healthy mindset and recovery. Besides adding a bunch of drugs in the mix is just going to impede his growth and you really don't know they're going to fix everything.

If he feels like he needs to go on Suboxone then he needs to do it via a doctor. Suboxone will give him time to establish healthy patterns. He is going to need some support in some form, counseling, meetings, treatment etc.

I do hope he can nip this in the bud now. I sure wish I did when I was his age. Though I never really got into herion nor did I ever IV a substance, I still used opiates quite a bit. Suboxone helped me and I was able to slowly taper off of it. One thing that was difficult to accept was the fact that I could not use anything ever again. I relapsed with alcohol and quickly started drinking too much. Now I am at the point where I have to go back and get some outpatient treatment and am attending meetings again. I do wish I could take back all those years I wasted on drugs, but I cannot. I did somehow manage to function and get a college degree. I am employed so I have some things going for me. But, I know I wasted some of my potential. Oh well, nothing I cannot do in the future.

Most important, was I had a supportive family that would not BS me. They called me out on my bullshit but they let me know they are here for me.

So idk how old this but I'm clean 8 days from black tar and 3 days clean from subutex..

Today I took 60 mg with a third bottle of Canada Dry tonic water. Not much.

Tomorrow is 182 mg with 2/3 bottle of Canada Dry tonic water. Previous tolerance to heroin was moderate 0.3 - 0.5 a day.

Just posting cuz I want to let everyone know how this works out for me.. Wish me luck!! Post back tomorrow!

So idk how old this but I'm clean 8 days from black tar and 3 days clean from subutex..

Tomorrow is 182 mg with 2/3 bottle of Canada Dry tonic water. Previous tolerance to heroin was moderate 0.3 - 0.5 a day.

Just posting cuz I want to let everyone know how this works out for me.. Wish me luck!! Post back tomorrow!
Hope it went well for you .

Can't believe this old thread popped again, it was so weird reading my old posts.

I'm confused, are you taking lopermide?
I would make your own thread in Sober Living instead of bumping an old thread.

I am detoxing myself off of Heroin using Loperamide (Imodium) along with a potentiating agent (I use Cimetidine... an antiacid pill instead of Tonic water)

He has to becareful to not become relient on the loperamide, my schedule to taper off comfortably is to just take one less Loperamide a day, hell feel a little bit uncomfortable but if he has weed and xanax he'll be straight, talk to him about switching to Cimetidine insstead of tonic water tho, it's easier to get down and works way better! and at warlmart you can get 60 for 5$ and when you take the Loperamide/Imodium with the Cimetidine you usually only need to take half of your usual dose since the cimetidine makes it stronger (so to say)

I am detoxing myself off of Heroin using Loperamide (Imodium) along with a potentiating agent (I use Cimetidine... an antiacid pill instead of Tonic water)

He has to becareful to not become relient on the loperamide, my schedule to taper off comfortably is to just take one less Loperamide a day, hell feel a little bit uncomfortable but if he has weed and xanax he'll be straight, talk to him about switching to Cimetidine insstead of tonic water tho, it's easier to get down and works way better! and at warlmart you can get 60 for 5$ and when you take the Loperamide/Imodium with the Cimetidine you usually only need to take half of your usual dose since the cimetidine makes it stronger (so to say)

Lol this is a hella old thread that somebody bumped. My responses are from back when I was still on MMT.

I'm very happy that someone is sticking by a fellow addict normally when I withdrawal I am by myself depressed and wishing someone was here to help me most parents are too naive to understand what withdrawals are for a father to go out of his way and research how he can help his son is amazing the honesty is there the father understands the son he will see if his son is going to relapse or not

I start my withdrawals tomorrow by myself at a family member's house who thinks I am there to take a break from work I have read all your comments and greatly appreciate them hopefully is ammodium trick works I can't count how many times have done this and failed i will win I will be clean

Wow! I know that this is an old thread, and I hope to god that no one in this situation followed your advice. As a former heroin addict I am sickened by the fact that you would volunteer another person who has almost finished their detox put themselves in a position to go through it again. For starters, that is very risky. Someone who has been through it once may well be too terrified to ever voluntarily go through it again. It's cruel to wish on anyone. Also, you said that the next detox after being on Suboxone, a very physically addictive drug, might be a "non-event". As I am responding I keep thinking to myself, "am I misunderstanding what this Revers person is saying. Am I? If so, I am sorry. If not, I at least want to have anyone reading this to know that that is a way, way out there opinion, and it is bound to lead to misery if taken, at best. It also may lead someone who is on their way to getting better to take ten steps backward, and they may never get back to where they are now.
If you are meaning to have someone that is a week along in detox go back to subs, like I'm reading it to mean, you are way out of line, and your advice reads like a potential death sentence. I hope no one would do this.
You can get a script for Naltexone, or even have a long acting implant of it put in. This is just the drug that keeps you from feeling opiates, if you slip up and use. It is not the same as Suboxone which is also a substitute for opiates, and will render any detox moot. Please, please don't put a person that is almost through the physical detox on Suboxone. If that had happened to me I would likely have decided to take my life.
Trust me there is nothing easy about tapering off of "bupes". It is brutal, and takes far, far longer to come off of than heroin or any other opiate that I know of.

No offense, but the way that you "speak" regarding this, specifically your final post is not only un-mom like, but even more 'from the horses mouth-like"... the lingo you use are words and terms that a user would be much more familiar with.

Also, your stance regarding your son's sobriety is quite aloof. its his decision good or bad? a mom would be praying for a committed positive outcome. Im sorry, but I gotta call B.S.

You'll find that we here are VERY excepting of ANYONE, but also do not tolerance the "SWIM" type of perspective.

If I'm totally wrong and you are his mom, and again

And if I am totally wrong and you are his mom, first off - how old is he?
If he is a minor, than YES you CAN control and make decisions for him that he must abide by.
Even if he isn't, he is staying under your roof, and under your care. And regardless of age -- why wouldnt want you to, again, do whatever you can to make the RIGHT decisions for him since he has made nothing but WRONG decisions. The stance youre taking is very distant of his ultimate long term well being, and you are not taking responsibility during a time when you can help take responsibility for his life, as it is at stake. Now that he is over the acute stages and his tolerance is down, his next shot could kill him.
im not trying to tell you how to parent, but Im putting myself in your son's shoes 10 years from now -- and I wouldve wanted my mom to see to it that I was put on suboxone until my head was on straight.
And as a drug addict -- he has become a manipulator, meaning he will be good at convincing you he is otherwise ready to live legit when he is not.

WTF totally inappropriate post. No offense man but you sound like a totally judgemental offensive asshole. The lady is trying to help her son why you trying to be a freaking detective.

WTF totally inappropriate post. No offense man but you sound like a totally judgemental offensive asshole. The lady is trying to help her son why you trying to be a freaking detective.

Lol love how this post gets bumped every two years

I just lurked this and didn't see that it was an old post until now but definitely not a mother. On the other hand I've seen so many bad moms (not my own who is lovely).

I wish people would learn how to read the clear dates on theae threads and stop bunping stupid crap...I still cant believe how dumb that "mom" was, anyone catch she said she was on a 5mg zannie for sleep lol And letting her kid buy detox meds on the street instead of taking him to a doctor. Anyways, the internet IS NOT HARD, stop bumping old as dirt threads....ugh lol