• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

What are the dangers of prison hooch?

Artificial Emotion

Bluelighter
What are the main health risks of prison hooch/pruno? Is it the methanol content that makes it harmful?

Illicitly made alcohol isn't always impure but it can be.

Moving thread to Other Drugs. BDD > OD

Methanol is a horrible chemical, it can cause blindness bleeding in the stomach and bowel, heart problems, blood problems and will destroy your liver in very little time. Also it can cause longtern neurological problems even well after you stop drinking it. Bad news by all accounts.lol the main problem with prison style hooch is the lack of proper equipment and sterile conditions. If everything used isnt sterile then you could easily brew yourself a nasty crop of bacteria or fungus rather then a (nice?) Alchoholic brew and unfortunately you might not be able to tell before you drink it, leadiing to an extremly interesting hangover. Theres also the risk if c02 build up and an explosion which depending on how big a container you use, could be pretty spectacular! In summary, best to leave alcoholic drink production to the experts.:)

Really depends on how it's made. I do some alcohol brewing from time to time. As far as I know most methanol comes from certain sugars found in the raw materials used. Now if it's not distilled the concentration is too low to matter (ethanol blocks the enzymes that metabolize methanol to harmful substances, so most of it just gets excreted or is converted so slowly that your body can eliminate it's toxic by-products before they do any damage). However if you disstill it you can end up with a situation where the first batch doesn't concentrate ethanol but methanol (this is why you're supposed to throw out the first stuff that comes out of the still.. This is bad and can and provably will cause problems. Freeze distilation can also concentrate it a bit too much.

Oh yeah, and methanol or no methanol it's probably going to taste disgusting.

When I was 19 and 20 I used to make kilju by putting sugar, water and baker's yeast in plastic gallon jugs. I put a balloon over the top with a few holes poked in it as a makeshift lock. It was never very good tasting but I got used to it. I was always to impatient to let it ferment for more than about 5 days so it was never very strong and still sugary but a gallon would get me drunk and it cost about $2 to make. As far as I know methanol is made from wood. I don't think you have to worry about that if you just ferment refined sugar like I used to.

Methanol does not rise to appreciable levels in "natural" fermentation, usually. It is only a concern if you're doing home distillation., or otherwise trying to refine your home-brew.
Of course, beer, cider and wine have flourished for a reason; they are palatable whereas prison pruno is not.

you're probably better off buying real cheap vodka. in my country you can get cheap (and I mean cheap) handles of liquor store booze. there's stuff called rubinoff we used to drink at partys, for the price of a 12 pack of cheap beer you can get 1.75 liters of 100 proof "rubinoff" which has a name that sounds suspiciously close to "rubbing" alcohol. or julios vodka, julios being a liquor store near me. a handle would get a whole party drunk when I was in school. I would steer away from homemade stuff unless its necessary, like if your going to prison and thats all that's available, then you'll have to take your chances with what you've got. if you're a free man then there's no real reason not to get the store bought and low quality hooch.

Oh yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I'm going with methanol.

The antidote to methanol is ethanol. Even in Distilling, methanol isn't a huge danger, although I always toss the first of 50ml per gallon of mash or wash. For instance, if I'm running a 5 gallon batch through the still, I'll toss the first 250ml that comes out. It smells nasty and is very flamable. Definitely wouldn't want to drink it.

Just mix some turbo yeast with sugar water and wait a few days (exact recipe should be on the bag). You'll get something between 10 to 20% ethanol which you can then drink.