• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

AMT (alpha-Methyltryptamine)

Jackeh

Bluelighter
Didn't have much time to do this, so it isn't finished. I will hopefully add more tomorrow after school.

The Basics

Introduction and Basic Description

AMT (alpha-Methyltryptamine) is a psychedelic/stimulant/entactogen first developed in the 1960s as an anti-depressant at Upjohn, a pharmaceutical firm based in Michigan. It was sold in 5mg and 10mg pills in the Soviet Union for medical purposes but gradually gained fame as a research chemical in the 1990s for its recreational potential.

Timeline of Experience

An oral dose of AMT takes between 30 and 120 minutes to come up with an onset of 30 to 120 minutes before hand although some users have reported to have an onset as long as 180 minutes. During this time users have been known to experience nausea ranging from a mild stomach ache to violent puking whereas others have a complete lack of nausea.

Due to the long time taken for the effects to develop, users have been known to redose thinking that nothing is happening. Please don't be tempted to do this as this could lead to bad experiences or potentially fatal overdoses.

AMT's peak lasts between 4 and 7 hours with reported stimulation, euphoric moood lift, CEVs (Closed Eye Visuals) and mild OEVs (Open Eye Visuals) usually taking the forms of patterns. Users have reported euphoric rushes similar to MDMA, albeit milder. Lower doses tend to be mainly stimulated, whereas the higher doses become more psychedelic.

The come down can last between 2 and 8 hours, usually with no after effects the next day although some people have said they have experienced a mood lift for a few days after their use.

Effects

The positive effects of AMT include stimulation, mood lift, visual patterning, CEVs, increase in awareness, heightened appreciation of music, and empathy.

AMT also comes with negative side effects such as anxiety/tension, nausea/headaches, decreased motor skills, aching muscles, jaw clenching, and confusion.

( Source: http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/amt/amt_effects.shtml )

Dosages

An oral dose of AMT has been reported to be active in doses as low as 5mg which some users have used as a mood lifter throughout a day. Common doses for someone new to AMT would be 20-35mg which tends to have a more stimulating effect. From 40mg+ the psychedelic side becomes more apparent with 60mg+ tending to be a heavy dose.

When smoked a much smaller dosage should be used. Common doses are between 5mg and 10mg, any higher is seen as a strong dosage.

Method of administration

Oral
Insufflated
Rectal
Smoked (freebase)

Problems

Contraindications and Overdose

AMT is a mild MAOI, although it's inhibitor effects are low any users should be careful not to take tryptamine containing foods and monoamine releasing drugs. EDITOR NOTE: Not sure if this is the right term, would like a moderator to edit this to something more appropriate.

Negative Short-Term Side Effects

Sleep can sometimes be difficult on AMT, especially due to nausea and the time of the overall experience (usually longer than 12 hours). Other side effects include anxiety, jaw tension, and tachycardia.

Negative Long-Term Side Effects

As AMT is a serotonin releasing agent there may be a risk of serotonergic neurotoicity at high doses.

( Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha-Methyltryptamine#Dosage_and_effects )

Addiction and Withdrawal Issues

Harm Reduction

Legal Issues

Background and Chemistry

History of Drug

Chemistry

Preparation

Mechanism of Action

Trip reports and links

Trip Reports

Links

Hey Jackeh,

Thank you so much for your contribution!!! I've gone ahead and MediaWiki-formatted everything you've submitted, included a reference section and other various things and what we've got so far is posted - you can check it all out right here !! I credited you at the end of the article.

Jackeh said:
AMT is a mild MAOI, although it's inhibitor effects are low any users should be careful not to take tryptamine containing foods and monoamine releasing drugs. EDITOR NOTE: Not sure if this is the right term, would like a moderator to edit this to something more appropriate.

Please check in the article what I chose to do about this particular item and let me know if you're okay with the license I took in changing it :)

All the best,

~ Vaya

Yes that was fine for the edit, thanks for getting it formatted!

Bit more to add:

Slang:

Amtrak, Amthrax ( http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/amt/amt_faq1.shtml ), Trymene ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha-Methyltryptamine#Legality )

Harm Reduction:

As AMT is active in doses as low as 5mg when taken orally and as low as 1mg when smoked ( http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/amt/amt_dose.shtml ) care should be taken when measuring doses. An analytical scale should be used to enure accuracy.

As AMT has MAOI properties, dietary restrictions should be observed to ensure foods or beverages containing tryptamine are not ingested. ( http://deoxy.org/maoidiet.htm ).

Legal Issues:

AMT is currently scheduled in multiple countries which may result in prosecution if caught with it. Below is the status in several countries:

-Australia: Schedule 8
-Germany: Teil B
-Greece: Controlled
-Japan: Controlled
-Russia: Controlled
-Sweden: Controlled
-UK: Not controlled
-US: Schedule I

( http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/amt/amt_law.shtml )

Chemistry:
-IUPAC Name: 2-(1H-indol-3-yl)-1-methyl-ethylamine
-Tryptamine structure with a hydrogen being substituted for a methyl group on the alpha carbon. This relationship to tryptamine is identical to the relationship between amphetamine and phenetyhlamine which also has a methyl substituent at the alpha carbon.
-AMT has a similar structure to serotonin, the differences being a hydroxyl group on the 5 position and no methyl group on the alpha carbon.

This could be useful for the "Links" section since it can apply to a lot of other drugs too: http://deoxy.org/maoidiet.htm

preparation:
Normally sold in the freebase but also sold as HCl salt. Insoluble in water as freebase.

--edit--

I know this is majorly nit picking, but it should be tyramine as opposed to tryptamine, could cause confusion and was probably a typo but needs to be looked at. Also maybe a link to this page would be good from here? https://www.erowid.org/chemicals/maois/maois_info2.shtml

Last edited:
Also, AMT is a mild enough MAOI that the tyramine contraindication is probably largely unwarranted. Combination with another monoamine releaser or reuptake inhibitor is simply unnecessary, as AMT is already a potent releaser of all 3 monoamines.

ebola

I'll also add that if AMT were a moderate to strong MAOI, it would not be safe to take with itself. :p

ebola

Really enjoy this substance. Oddly enough, I don't experience any visuals even at doses of 50mg (HCl). I'm not sure if this is caused by the purity (or lack thereof) of this product, but a friend of mine has used the same batch at 50mg and experienced shroom-like melting visuals.

Used this on New Years, along with 0.1g of vaporized Sour Diesel, and 8 beers. I'm aware of the -potential- concern surrounding drinking on this substance, but I treaded lightly before continuing to drink. A surprisingly sober combination. I was able to have a greeeaaaat time while retaining my ability to articulate my thoughts. Highly recommended.

I ate 2 Aero chocolate bars on my first aMT experience, was incredible and I ended up freaking out a bit because I couldn't find it after eating it. :L

once had 60+ mg of AMT, tripped for about 20 hours, not the stuff for me.

whats the headspace like? Is it shrom like confusion or is it more akin to lsd lucidity?

It's been a long time since I last tried AMT, but from what I can remember it did seem be clearheaded and lucid. I also find like I had a very childlike headspace perspective too if you get what I mean going along with it.

The headspace is beyond gentle, at points you probably won't even realize your tripping (mentally). I've never had a bad aMT experience and I've taken quite a bit of aMT, that's not to say it's impossible, I just haven't experienced/witnessed it. It carries a mild to severe bodyload for the first couple hours though....

Hmmm, cool ...the only thing I don't like about mushrooms, is almost every time I take a decent dose....the peak is very uncomfortable for.....I reach a state of utter lunacy and always have this uncomfortable FREAKY out of body experience...as if Im watching this happen from a third person perspective but Im feeling this bizzare transformation. AT this point Im couch locked and in a state of fear/confusion and awe. LSD has never done that to me, and I relate it to its comfortable lucidity , even when peaking. Im looking for alternatives to Lucy in the tryptamine family . I heard 4-ho-met is a clearhead lucid shroom like trip too. Do the visuals vary THAT much with all these tryptamine analogues? I don't know if its the lack of lucidity from mushrooms or they just don't give me complex and defined visuals that LSD does, but I would like a substance that has amazing flabbergasting visuals.Maybe AMT?

Have you heard of DMT. You might enjoy it if a visual experience is what you're seeking. Or even its darker counterpart, Salvia Divinorum. Breakthrough doses on both are very visual, reality consuming, and feel lengthy but truly only last a short amount of time.

Have you heard of DMT. You might enjoy it if a visual experience is what you're seeking. Or even its darker counterpart, Salvia Divinorum. Breakthrough doses on both are very visual, reality consuming, and feel lengthy but truly only last a short amount of time.

Hey there ho there whoa there. Let's be easy recommending the devil's leaf here, sally is quite the succubus of a trip if you ask me. To fall in hell, or soar angellic, you need a pinch of psychedelic:

*snip* The Wiki forum isn't a discussion forum in the sense that your video kinks suggest it might be. For drug discussion in its various forms, please visit the respective focus forums pertaining to that/those drug(s); thanks!! ~ Vaya

DMT=heaven, Salvia=hell. Lol, not really true all the time, but generally speaking salvia can take you to places that the word 'hellish' doesn't even do justice to. But so can DMT. Either way experiences are relative...

Btw, why can't videos be posted in certain threads? I don't like that...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, probably should have remembered to mention more about it. Oh well, I'm sure everyone should be doing their own research on a new drug before they try it! ;P