View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

HPPD from mushrooms

tropicalpalmtree

Greenlighter
a couple of weeks ago me and a lot of my friends did some shrooms and i didnt trip out too bad. a couple of days after i started to notice that my vision had gone kinda funny, everything i see looks normal but there appears to be a kind of invisible static between me and what im looking at. also when i look at pretty much anything bright or has some light on it, i get a negative image of what i was looking at and this happens in particular when im in a poorly lit room. i sometimes see like dim dots of light that seem to come and disappear across my vision. do these sound like symptoms of hallucingen persisting perception disorder? i have only ever done shrooms twice (prefer my stimulants,downers etc) but didnt notice anything like this the first time round and it would kinda suck if ive done any permanent damage. ive come here because maybe one of you can shed light on this because been getting really bad anxiety and depression recently so basically jumping to conclusions and shit like that from what ive been reading.

thanks

It sounds like it. If you get this from only 2 trips you should really avoid psychedelics from now on. But know that cannabis can definitely participate in this phenomenon as well and who knows what other drugs? Which could either mean that cannabis is best avoided as well if you don't want it to get worse or just the opposite: that you had a lot more drugs that brought this on and it isn't as immediate as it seems. Still, I would be really careful because I get the impression you are sensitive to it either way.

We have a thread for this, the 'Big & Dandy HPPD Thread', you can find it through the Index (link below in my signature). For more info on how to use all of that, see the Beginner's FAQ.

This thread will probably be merged into it, be aware. :)

It sounds like it. If you get this from only 2 trips you should really avoid psychedelics from now on. But know that cannabis can definitely participate in this phenomenon as well and who knows what other drugs? Which could either mean that cannabis is best avoided as well if you don't want it to get worse or just the opposite: that you had a lot more drugs that brought this on and it isn't as immediate as it seems. Still, I would be really careful because I get the impression you are sensitive to it either way.

We have a thread for this, the 'Big & Dandy HPPD Thread', you can find it through the Index (link below in my signature). For more info on how to use all of that, see the Beginner's FAQ.

This thread will probably be merged into it, be aware. :)

any idea how long it will last or is it permanent? :?

thanks

Very hard to say, your best bet is that HPPD thread and google "HPPD reversible" or "HPPD irreversible" and fool / search around a little.

You shouldn't expect an answer to be either it being permanent or not, but to get general information on the subject. Something like this depends so much on the individual and the circumstances...
If you got it so 'easily' that seems to indicate that you are sensitive or using another word, malleable and maybe even flexible. Who's to say that the healing won't go just as easily quickly and readily?

With something like this, an important side note is that this is not purely a disease, many people might not be bothered with symptoms as long as they remain mild enough to function. When it becomes harder to function, that is when the label 'disorder' pops up. For example I definitely have signs of HPPD but I just don't care. I hardly care about functioning most of the time, at least functioning the way a lot of people consider the norm. One reason it is easy for me is probably that when I get brainfarts hearing or seeing weird 'artifacts' and react to it, I just attribute it to being a weirdo of the lovable kind. With friends at least.
Even the symptoms could come in different shapes and sizes and for example the static vision is congenital for some.

HPPD rearing its head could be reversible by definition but for some people it might just be so slowly that it seems like it doesn't go away because it is chronic and it takes way more time than anticipated. Perhaps irreversible cases are actually still reversible but it would take longer than a lifetime to get back to usual. All of these are just ideas but it goes to show that when it comes to permanence it may all be a huge grey area.

At the end of the day the advice remains the same: as long as you get signs of fast onset HPPD, don't trip. If you do, it is a gamble and it might affect your functioning... preemptive abstinence works better than pulling out when it's pretty much too late.

I never had much of an issue with HPPD, but after taking a long break and starting back up again i did. to this day i notice if i stare at something i can get it to move in the same way that you would expect after watching the credits roll up the screen on a movie and than looking at a wall.. that illusion of it moving.. Also i notice that when looking at one point long enough the image outside that point can start to blur together. Aside from visual i do notice a bit of blah like feeling in daily life, however i just got off methadone after 6 years about 3 months ago, so i think it might have to do with that but i am not certain..

Sometimes i notice it more in the morning, i can look at something, close my eyes and still see the red like image outline of it.. as i am looking at this computer screen and scroll down i can see where the lines of words once were..

I think HPPD could just be the result of having a door opened. you are now more aware of it, you have always seen it but unless you took a drug to induce it to the point of it being very obvious, you would live your life never noticing it..

However its possible that something was burned out, perhaps just a small pin prick, but to the brain that pin prick is a massive hole in compared to the size of the neurons..

I think you might find that its a trade off.. you might lose something but you will gain something too.. for all we know it could be caused by a over production of something perhaps it was a gain and not a loss and perhaps over time the gain will go away and you will be back to true baseline.. after 6 years of not using i forget all about the world and it was only when i dosed again, did i get the OH I REMEMBER NOW feeling...

Music to this day, has more power over me, i get more chills when i hear a good song however the idea of big corporations don't excite me, while before i used any psychedelic the concept of big business was just amazing to me..

thinking about the cosmos is amazing too..

you gain some and lose some..

HPPD ime is seriously exacerbated by the knowledge of it existing. If you know what to look for it seems to appear. E.g. "Many HPPD sufferers notice -The appearance..." 'Oh shit that symptom just appeared!' < This happened to me numerous times and I do wonder if it wouldn't have been the case if I had not used google. So whenever my friends mention something along the lines of it I tell them that it will pass and to lay off stuff. Particularly weed. Don't focus on it and keep to the healthier side of eating and exercise!

One thing to note is many of the supposed "symptoms" of HPPD can be observed in totally sober people, as they are artifacts of the human visual system being a complex beast.

Your eyeball is a sac of fluid and pieces of the lining can break away and interfere with vision.