• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos tapering off a mild benzo adiction, then jumping off CT with valerian root

Valerian has helped reduce my own and many of my friends WD from benzos. It sounds like you have been tapering pretty well, and if you werent taking benzos for more than 3 or 4 months the withdrawals wont be too bad anyways.
Valerian makes me tired and I generally don't like it during the day
, but it definitely could be called an herbal valium. It has been shown in studies to reduce anxiety against a placebo.
I'd take a dose of around 1200-1500mg valerian root at most at night. Make sure you find a brand that has reliable reviews and that the valerian is legitimate and potent. It should smell very bad when you open the bottle. that is a good sign.
I wouldn't recommend taking valerian everyday for more than 2 weeks at a time, but with the amount of benzos it sounds like you were taking and only for a few months, you should only need them for a week at most in a row. after that you should try to slow down taking them. Don't try to use them as a substitute, just as an aid in ending your benzo dependence.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14742369

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19900527

It's really unfounded to say valerian has little or no effect compared to caffeine when it's an anticonvulsant especially when pharmacologists are still trying to figure out how to stop seizures effectively.

i meant as in having an effect one can actually notice. I don't take valerian root and feel "well that's a damn good anticonvulsant", as compared to when i drink a great cup of coffee.

if valerian root has effects at gaba(a) then they are as weak as codeine compared to oxymorphone.

I have zero benzo tolerance, and literally no tolerance to anything GABAergic and valerian does NOTHING for me. I highly doubt it would be of any beneficial use to someone in benzo WD.

And with the codeine to oxymorphone comparison thing....I think if someone was withdrawing from oxymorphone and they took a bunch of codeine they would get some noticeable relief, I don't think that would be the case for valerian root and benzo WD.

lol tramadol? Idk if they would help with WDs but yeah man id try and get a gabapentin script