• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos High dose of Clonazepam producing no effect! No tolerance to benzos! Help!

onehitcasher

Greenlighter
Hi. Let me start by saying that I have not taking any benzo in at least a year and several months, maybe longer. Today I consumed almost 30 mg of clonazepam (not all at once mind you, but I kept taking more due to feeling no effect). I am not trying to abuse it, I have GAD and SAD and these pills were prescribed to me.

The problem, and quite frankly the paradox of the matter, is that I have taken MUCH lower doses of clonazepam before and felt tremendous relief from my anxiety.

I am also prescribed suboxone. Is it possible the suboxone is blocking the effects of the klonopin? I know the pills are legit, unless the pharmacy themselves forged them.

I also took about 4 mg yesterday and felt the effects, but now nothing. What is the deal? I don't understand. I should be blacking out right now but I'm completely sober.

Also, they are round green pills and say Teva on one side and 833 on the other
http://www.drugs.com/imprints/teva-833-16542.html

Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

don't take any more!

are you on some kind of stim or something? Taking 30mg when 4mg had u feeling fine yesterday is ridiculously reckless.

No, I'm not on any other drugs or stimulants. I took suboxone about two days ago. I appreciate your concern, but it is nearly impossible to overdose on benzos unless taken with another depressent or something else contraindicated. And like I said, I didn't take them all at once.

I'm just looking for any reason why the kpins are having no affect on me. It makes no sense. I could probably take 30 more and not feel a thing (don't worry, I'm not going to, I don't even have that many more). I'm just trying to figure out why I'm not getting any effect.

I'm sorry, but I have to bump this. I need to solve this mystery as to why 30mg of klonopins had NO effect on me. PLEASE help! I'd really appreciate it. It was at least five hours ago I took my last pill of the 30mg and still not effect. I even took a couple shots of whiskey to see if that would help, but it was to no avail. Please, please, please, I need ideas, and better yet solutions. No one answered my question as to whether or not the suboxone I took two days ago could be the culprit. So please...help me solve this mystery!

Stop taking drugs, please...

Some people don't get "fucked up" on benzodiazepines, they just lose their short term memory. And Klonopin is not very recreational for most anyway.
The curious part is if you ask someone if they are blacked out (whiile on huge BZD doses) they will insist they are fine, if they can speak...

"different drugs effect different people differently"....

I wouldn't add any more depressants, before you hurt yourself.... For fuck's sake don't take any more alcohol or benzos. Call it a night. I think you can safely assume BZDs are not for you.

(Also, even if you did find out why they produced no effects, what are you going to do about it? It's very unlikely you can change your body chemistry at will.)

it's an anomaly of some kind.

clonazepam is a subtle feeling benzo is respect to others; you're likely not noticing implied subtitles such as the anxiolysis and muscle relaxation. it's not a hypnotic benzos like xanax or temazepam, not leaving you on your arse afterward. you're more likely to experience retrograde amnesia (mental blackout), possible physical blackout, loss of finer motor skills, etc.

Some people don't get "fucked up" on benzodiazepines, they just lose their short term memory. And Klonopin is not very recreational for most anyway.
The curious part is if you ask someone if they are blacked out (whiile on huge BZD doses) they will insist they are fine, if they can speak...

I've had people try to insist to me that they are fine even though they could not get a single word right.

lol

lol.... if 4mg did the trick yesterday, why would you take 30mg even though you weren't feeling effects? Which I somehow doubt, pills don't just not work.

"different drugs effect different people differently"....

I wouldn't add any more depressants, before you hurt yourself.... For fuck's sake don't take any more alcohol or benzos. Call it a night. I think you can safely assume BZDs are not for you.

(Also, even if you did find out why they produced no effects, what are you going to do about it? It's very unlikely you can change your body chemistry at will.)

I feel compelled to respond to this. You tell me to "stop taking drugs" when you don't know anything about me. I have severe General Anxiety Disorder and Social Anxiety Disorder. Me and my psychiatrist decided klonopin is one of the better options for me because it doesn't fuck me up like Xanax or Valium (in higher doses). I'm not taking klonopin for recreation or to get "fucked up", I'm taking it to temporarily ease my anxiety while I work through the root causes of my issues in therapy.

Like I said, in the past benzos (including klonopin) have worked fine for me. I'm just wondering if it was maybe suboxone, some sort of food, or just a bad batch of clonazepam that caused the pills to have no effect on me like they usually do. I am not fucked up in the least bit, I have my brother and my mom to vouch for me. I am very familiar with the effects of this drug, and I am experiencing none of the effects or side effects as I usually do (like yesterday). Trust me, I would know if I was under the influence or blacking out because my friends and family would notice, not to mention I would notice when I start stumbling around.

When you say I can "safely assume BZDs are not for" me you are speaking out of ignorance because I have used them countless times to ease my anxiety. Quite frankly, I find what you say insulting, especially since you know nothing about me, my history, or my condition. I have severe anxiety due verbal and physical abuse I experienced as a child and teenager from my father, not to mention molestation from both an aunt and uncle. So before you judge me, think twice about the possibilities of my history.

I just want to know why the clonazepam I took had no effect. And when I say no effect, I mean it. I might as well have taken a shitload of sugar cubes.

lol.... if 4mg did the trick yesterday, why would you take 30mg even though you weren't feeling effects? Which I somehow doubt, pills don't just not work.

And yes, duckbin, you're right. Pills don't just not work for no reason, which is why I'm trying to figure out why they didn't work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go to a doctor and have a blood test, that's all I can say. That will confirm the presence of clonazepam in your body (which should hang around for about a week or longer if you ate 30mg).

If there is clonazepam in your body/blood/urine, but no effects, you have just met Mr. Benzodiazepine Tolerance. Either that your your kidneys and liver are working at 10x the normal capacity. (could be easily confirmed by seeing how long a cup of coffee lasts)

If there is no clonazepam in your body detectable, test the pills. Then you will know whether it's fake pills, or they are not releasing.
(It is stupendously unlikely your pharmacy shipped you blank pills.)

(Having an anxiety disorder does not excuse eating a whole week's worth of benzos in a day)

I'm the same way, it's like my body metabolizes clonazepam into sugar or something inactive. not sure what it means.

Well. Actually clonazepam is not even very anxiolytic nor musclerelaxing. If diazepam has it's properties as sedative, anxiolytic, musclerelaxant and anticonvulsive roughly 25% each then clonazepam has half of the anxiolytic properties of the diazepam, one fourth of the musclerelaxant as well as sedative properties. The main catch in clonazepam is it's anticonvulsive properties which are a little bit better than diazepam's without less of the the oter properties. It means that clonazepam is a godsent for those who suffer from musclespasms no matter the cause. It is not a recreational drug but has a plenty of uses in drug user's life and work well with people trying to quit using.

2mg twice a day quits legs twitching all the time in opiate withdrawals as well as those face muscle glitches when you have to stop taking antidepressants. Also when quitting or taking a break from other benzos you can use clonazepam to taper and not have a seizures.

People with GAD should in my opinion try some other benzo than clonazepam or even something completely different like therapy and antidepressants. I have bipolar disorder and I know that the depressive perioids are not entirely the same like GAD but I still think that benzos only work as a way to put depression aside but does not actually heal it or even make one suffering from it able to perform better in long term.

Dude, two days ago you were still fucked up from the suboxine so 4 mg of a benzo mixed in with that and kaboom, you feel fan fucking tastic. Suboxine lasts 48 hours in your body, come day 3 your whole body chemistry starts to regenerate and benzos are practically useless.

Give it a week.

Well. Actually clonazepam is not even very anxiolytic nor musclerelaxing. If diazepam has it's properties as sedative, anxiolytic, musclerelaxant and anticonvulsive roughly 25% each then clonazepam has half of the anxiolytic properties of the diazepam, one fourth of the musclerelaxant as well as sedative properties. The main catch in clonazepam is it's anticonvulsive properties which are a little bit better than diazepam's without less of the the oter properties. It means that clonazepam is a godsent for those who suffer from musclespasms no matter the cause. It is not a recreational drug but has a plenty of uses in drug user's life and work well with people trying to quit using.

Your right on some counts but wrong in quantifying it into percentages as that hasn't been established. Clonazepam is a potent anticonvulsant and used in treatment resistant seizure disorders (in conjunction with other medications) where diazepam is not. That can be attributed to the fact that clonazepam has a longer duration of action then diazepam. However that does not make diazepam any less potent of an anticonvulsant.

A far as anxiety goes diazepam, alprazolam, and lorazepam are more suitable for panic disorder due to the faster onset, and clonazepam is more suitable for generalized anxiety disorder due to the ceaseless anxiety the disorder carries, again warranting a benzodiazepine with a long duration of action.

As far as it goes for the OP, as some have mentioned clonazepam tends to be poor recreationally and more difficult to abuse due to the delayed onset. What I've also noticed in users taking high doses of clonazepam is that they rarely notice and/or refuse to acknowledge their altered state of mind. Sometimes this altered state of mind manifests as anger, necessity to fight, somnolence, and confusion. Even though its difficult to overdose on benzodiazepines, its equally as easy to do something you'll regret forever.

Abusing benzodiazepines in the manner that you've done has taught me to appreciate them, because when the high wears off and your stuck with rebound anxiety worst than the anxiety they were prescribed for, you'll wish you hadn't.

Last edited:
Please read what I have to say....I'm not a benzo noob. I'm trying to solve a mystery

Go to a doctor and have a blood test, that's all I can say. That will confirm the presence of clonazepam in your body (which should hang around for about a week or longer if you ate 30mg).

If there is clonazepam in your body/blood/urine, but no effects, you have just met Mr. Benzodiazepine Tolerance. Either that your your kidneys and liver are working at 10x the normal capacity. (could be easily confirmed by seeing how long a cup of coffee lasts)

If there is no clonazepam in your body detectable, test the pills. Then you will know whether it's fake pills, or they are not releasing.

(Having an anxiety disorder does not excuse eating a whole week's worth of benzos in a day)
[/COLOR]

Good idea on getting a blood test from a doctor and testing the pills I may do that, depending on how much it will cost me. And I agree, it is highly unlikely that my pharmacy supplied me with bunk pills. But about the benzodiazepine tolerance, I know very well about how it works. Although I've been off benzos (for the most part) for the past few years or so, Back in 2009 or 2010 I developed quite a tolerance to Alprazolam. That habit took a while to recover from, but now that I'm fully recovered, there's no reason I should STILL have a tolerance to benzodiazepines. And sure, I agree, there might be permanent tolerance, but not to the degree where 30mg of clonazepam should have no effect. I'm also going to take 2mg of xanax today and I have no doubt it my mind that it will have effect on me.

And I agree, having GAD and SAD doesn't excuse me from eating all those pills, but being as experience with benzos as I am, I swear to you that these pills did absolutely nothing to me. Trust me, I would know. I know lots of people don't realize when they're fucked up on benzos, but being that I was completely sober, and had my mom and brother verify it, they too said they could not even tell I had taken anything. And I don't have any tolerance at all, at least not a significant one. One xanax bar would knock my ass out, no doubt about it.

[/COLOR]
I'm the same way, it's like my body metabolizes clonazepam into sugar or something inactive. not sure what it means.[/COLOR]

Tricomb, has it always been that way for you? Because this is completely new for me. Kpins used to work wonders for my anxiety without turning me into a zombified retard.[/COLOR]

People with GAD should in my opinion try some other benzo than clonazepam or even something completely different like therapy and antidepressants. I have bipolar disorder and I know that the depressive perioids are not entirely the same like GAD but I still think that benzos only work as a way to put depression aside but does not actually heal it or even make one suffering from it able to perform better in long term.[/COLOR]

So are you Dr.MrRoot? If not please don't give advice that could be potentially harmful or just flat out wrong. I know you are just trying to help but I've been seeing doctors and psychiatrists for years to find what is best for me. Everyone is different. Also, I am in therapy, if you bothered to read my posts you would know that. Benzos are a TERRIBLE choice for depression (I am a med and chem student, so give me some credit when I say that). Benzos are good for short-term treatment to relieve anxiety while the patient is in therapy tackling the root cause of the anxiety issues. Also, antidepressants don't do me any good, believe me, I've tried at least 10-15 different kinds...SSRI's, MAOI's, SNRI's - you name it. A lot of made my anxiety worse and a lot of them have unbearable side effects, Remeron in particular comes to mind.[/COLOR]

Dude, two days ago you were still fucked up from the suboxine so 4 mg of a benzo mixed in with that and kaboom, you feel fan fucking tastic. Suboxine lasts 48 hours in your body, come day 3 your whole body chemistry starts to regenerate and benzos are practically useless.

Give it a week.
[/COLOR]

I'm really not sure what you are getting at here Obiez. First of all, suboxone doesn't get me "fucked up". I'm on suboxone for opiate maintenance due to a surgery I had that got me physically dependent on Hydromorphone, Morphine, Oxycodone, and some other weaker opiate painkillers. Suboxone does nothing but make me feel normal, even as I'm slowly tapering off it. And it makes no sense why benzos would be useless after the suboxone leaves my system - no offense but you clearly know nothing about pharmacology.[/COLOR]

Your right on some counts but wrong in quantifying it into percentages as that hasn't been established. Clonazepam is a potent anticonvulsant and used in treatment resistant seizure disorders (in conjunction with other medications) where diazepam is not. That can be attributed to the fact that clonazepam has a longer duration of action then diazepam. However that does not make diazepam any less potent of an anticonvulsant.

A far as anxiety goes diazepam, alprazolam, and lorazepam are more suitable for panic disorder due to the faster onset, and clonazepam is more suitable for generalized anxiety disorder due to the ceaseless anxiety the disorder carries, again warranting a benzodiazepine with a long duration of action.

As far as it goes for the OP, as some have mentioned clonazepam tends to be poor recreationally and more difficult to abuse due to the delayed onset. What I've also noticed in users taking high doses of clonazepam is that they rarely notice and/or refuse to acknowledge their altered state of mind. Sometimes this altered state of mind manifests as anger, necessity to fight, somnolence, and confusion. Even though its difficult to overdose on benzodiazepines, its equally as easy to do something you'll regret forever.

Abusing benzodiazepines in the manner that you've done has taught me to appreciate them, because when the high wears off and your stuck with rebound anxiety worst than the anxiety they were prescribed for, you'll wish you hadn't.
[/COLOR]

Chromophobia, I appreciate the correct and useful information you provided, especially the part about clonazepam being especially suitable for GAD. Thank you.

However, as I stated before, I was not trying to use the kpins recreationally, I was simply trying to get them to work to get some anxiolytic relief. I was not trying to abuse them at all. In my younger days, I have had plenty experiencing abusing all sorts of drugs, benzos included. What you say is true, people fucked up on benzos rarely realize just how fucked up they are. But as I said, I was not under the influence at all, I remember every detail of what happened when I took all the pills. My mom and brother have seen me fucked up on benzos and I clearly was not. And yes, in the past, I've done very stupid things while fucked up on benzos, but as I've grown up I've realized benzos are not a fun drug, they have a purpose and they need to be respected. I would never have taken so many pills if they were actually working.

Please don't tell me I was abusing benzodiazepines yesterday when I took them. If I was abusing them, I would have been fucked up. But the pills were either bunk or for some other reason they were blocked from working. I was merely trying to get some relief from my god awful anxiety, which I got none. And I know all about the rebound anxiety, of which I'll experience none since the pills didn't work. I respect these drugs, but I am frustrated that they didn't work and I'm merely trying to figure out why they did not.
[/COLOR]

[/COLOR]

Good idea on getting a blood test from a doctor and testing the pills I may do that, depending on how much it will cost me. And I agree, it is highly unlikely that my pharmacy supplied me with bunk pills. But about the benzodiazepine tolerance, I know very well about how it works. Although I've been off benzos (for the most part) for the past few years or so, Back in 2009 or 2010 I developed quite a tolerance to Alprazolam. That habit took a while to recover from, but now that I'm fully recovered, there's no reason I should STILL have a tolerance to benzodiazepines. And sure, I agree, there might be permanent tolerance, but not to the degree where 30mg of clonazepam should have no effect. I'm also going to take 2mg of xanax today and I have no doubt it my mind that it will have effect on me.

And I agree, having GAD and SAD doesn't excuse me from eating all those pills, but being as experience with benzos as I am, I swear to you that these pills did absolutely nothing to me. Trust me, I would know. I know lots of people don't realize when they're fucked up on benzos, but being that I was completely sober, and had my mom and brother verify it, they too said they could not even tell I had taken anything. And I don't have any tolerance at all, at least not a significant one. One xanax bar would knock my ass out, no doubt about it.

I'm the same way, it's like my body metabolizes clonazepam into sugar or something inactive. not sure what it means.[/COLOR]

Tricomb, has it always been that way for you? Because this is completely new for me. Kpins used to work wonders for my anxiety without turning me into a zombified retard.

People with GAD should in my opinion try some other benzo than clonazepam or even something completely different like therapy and antidepressants. I have bipolar disorder and I know that the depressive perioids are not entirely the same like GAD but I still think that benzos only work as a way to put depression aside but does not actually heal it or even make one suffering from it able to perform better in long term.

So are you Dr.MrRoot? If not please don't give advice that could be potentially harmful or just flat out wrong. I know you are just trying to help but I've been seeing doctors and psychiatrists for years to find what is best for me. Everyone is different. Also, I am in therapy, if you bothered to read my posts you would know that. Benzos are a TERRIBLE choice for depression (I am a med and chem student, so give me some credit when I say that). Benzos are good for short-term treatment to relieve anxiety while the patient is in therapy tackling the root cause of the anxiety issues. Also, antidepressants don't do me any good, believe me, I've tried at least 10-15 different kinds...SSRI's, MAOI's, SNRI's - you name it. A lot of made my anxiety worse and a lot of them have unbearable side effects, Remeron in particular comes to mind.[/COLOR]

Give it a week.
[/COLOR]

I'm really not sure what you are getting at here Obiez. First of all, suboxone doesn't get me "fucked up". I'm on suboxone for opiate maintenance due to a surgery I had that got me physically dependent on Hydromorphone, Morphine, Oxycodone, and some other weaker opiate painkillers. Suboxone does nothing but make me feel normal, even as I'm slowly tapering off it. And it makes no sense why benzos would be useless after the suboxone leaves my system - no offense but you clearly know nothing about pharmacology.

Chromophobia, I appreciate the correct and useful information you provided, especially the part about clonazepam being especially suitable for GAD. Thank you.

However, as I stated before, I was not trying to use the kpins recreationally, I was simply trying to get them to work to get some anxiolytic relief. I was not trying to abuse them at all. In my younger days, I have had plenty experiencing abusing all sorts of drugs, benzos included. What you say is true, people fucked up on benzos rarely realize just how fucked up they are. But as I said, I was not under the influence at all, I remember every detail of what happened when I took all the pills. My mom and brother have seen me fucked up on benzos and I clearly was not. And yes, in the past, I've done very stupid things while fucked up on benzos, but as I've grown up I've realized benzos are not a fun drug, they have a purpose and they need to be respected. I would never have taken so many pills if they were actually working.

Please don't tell me I was abusing benzodiazepines yesterday when I took them. If I was abusing them, I would have been fucked up. But the pills were either bunk or for some other reason they were blocked from working. I was merely trying to get some relief from my god awful anxiety, which I got none. And I know all about the rebound anxiety, of which I'll experience none since the pills didn't work. I respect these drugs, but I am frustrated that they didn't work and I'm merely trying to figure out why they did not.
[/COLOR]

Pardon me if I hurt your feelings, but weather you do it for pain managment, detoxing, or whatever subotex/suboxine/buprenorphine call it what you like, is an opiate agonist, and like any opiate it affects any other drug you take. This is why most people in rehab programs who are still looking for a buzz mix benzos with their methadone/bubs program, the benozs and the opiates work together, so very well that they are known to produce cardiac arrest and resperatory failure. Where is my support for this? Well, I am for one since I abused it, and another one is in the ground from mixing 12mg of bubs with 50mg of diazepam. After I stopped doing bubs (i was mixing 8mg bubs with 25 mg of diazepam) I had a job interview a month later. I got anxious and got some diazepam. I ate the entire box, 150mg and not even my pupils dialated. That's after a month of mixing both.

Did you get a bad batch? I don't know you might have. All i know is from personal experience, and in my experience three months since i stopped all that, benzos do not work on me, not unless i smoke a joint and even then it is mild to no feeling of relief at very high doses.

Now if you are in a similar boat as i was, you are lucky because it will be a couple of days before you can go back to your general routine.

And now for the links:
http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q...a=X&ei=YFDsUOeqIYbatAbL6oGwBg&ved=0CCwQgQMwAA

I guess you may have been partially right, however that's still no excuse to injest 30 milligrams of clonazepam. Here's some evidence that naloxone can have an antagonistic effect on benzodiazepine receptors in pigeons:

These data support previous evidence that naloxone exerts gamma-aminobutyric acid-antagonistic effects in addition to its potent opioid-antagonistic effects.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6747830

Ill try to add more studies if I find them.

Last edited:
modnote: the brand Suboxone contains buprenorphine / naloxone, not naltrexone

Actually bubs dont have naloxone in them, as far as my memory serves it contains Naltrexone a much weaker variant of the opiate antagonist you speak of. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naltrexone

But, the country and manufacturer of the drug use different percentages of the substance, for instance where I am from, 8mg of bub has less naltrexone then 2mg because when you are at 2mg your chances of relapsing are much higher (so they say) so a half pill of 8mg and 2 2mg tablets are both 4mg, but the ratio of the substances in it varies, so if you take 2 2mg pills you don't get the same high as halving an 8.

actually you are right suboxone does contain naloxone (under that brand name) where I am from it does not, it contains Naltrexone.

^thanks for the correction. However since they both exert a similar mechanism of action one could hypothesize that naltrexone could have the same GABA antagonistic effects. Ill try and look into it to confirm my hypothesis.

Edit: an unrelated study states that naltrexone is also an GABA antagonist:

phine does not function as a GABA antagonist like nalox- one and naltrexone (Oliveto
and Dykstra 1988

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF02246951?LI=true

I still need to confirm this further with a specific study.

Here's a study that indicates naltrexone has benzodiazepine antagonistic effects in diazepam but not clonazepam:

The influence of naloxone and naltrexone on the hypnotic and protective efficacy of diazepam, chlordiazepoxide, clonazepam and estazolam against electroshock- and pentylenetetrazole-induced seizures was studied in mice. Naloxone and naltrexone significantly decreased the anticonvulsant effects of diazepam and estazolam

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9112681

I've found several studies that imply the same is applicable or clonazepam in the abstract or title but they're locked.

Edit: thanks swimmingdancer for correcting me yet again, I was also under the impression that suboxone contains naloxone, which means the studies in my post above on naloxone could be relevant to OP's problem.

Last edited: