• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos High dose of Clonazepam producing no effect! No tolerance to benzos! Help!

Hi. Let me start by saying that I have not taking any benzo in at least a year and several months, maybe longer. Today I consumed almost 30 mg of clonazepam (not all at once mind you, but I kept taking more due to feeling no effect). I am not trying to abuse it, I have GAD and SAD and these pills were prescribed to me.

The problem, and quite frankly the paradox of the matter, is that I have taken MUCH lower doses of clonazepam before and felt tremendous relief from my anxiety.

I am also prescribed suboxone. Is it possible the suboxone is blocking the effects of the klonopin? I know the pills are legit, unless the pharmacy themselves forged them.

I also took about 4 mg yesterday and felt the effects, but now nothing. What is the deal? I don't understand. I should be blacking out right now but I'm completely sober.

Also, they are round green pills and say Teva on one side and 833 on the other
http://www.drugs.com/imprints/teva-833-16542.html

Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

I took suboxone about two days ago. I appreciate your concern, but it is nearly impossible to overdose on benzos unless taken with another depressent or something else contraindicated.
It's definitely not nearly impossible to OD on benzos, it is just difficult to DIE from a benzo overdose when you haven't taken other drugs or alcohol. You can still have a non-fatal overdose quite easily, which is not a good idea. Also, Suboxone can take a long time to clear from the body so that could be a factor.

Unless you have something weird going on with your metabolism, I would say the most likely problem is tolerance, which can develop very rapidly if you've been dependent on benzos in the past - have you been? The other thing is that one can't always feel clonazepam working while you're on it, even though it may actually be reducing your anxiety in reality. But 30mg over the course of one day should definitely give noticeable effects to a person who doesn't have a high tolerance, it would definitively knock me out. If you were prescribed the clonazepam I would definitely speak to your doctor about this.

Actually bubs dont have naloxone in them, as far as my memory serves it contains Naltrexone a much weaker variant of the opiate antagonist you speak of.
actually you are right suboxone does contain naloxone (under that brand name) where I am from it does not, it contains Naltrexone.
Suboxone contains naloxone, that's why it's called Suboxone. Bup or bupe (not sure about "bub"??) is just a slang term for buprenorphine, which could be applied to any buprenorphine pill whether it contains any other active ingredient or not. And even buprenorphine itself is a partial opioid antagonist.

So you quoted me to correct me after I corrected myself? Thanks man :)

Jokes aside this is becoming quite interesting as to the link between these substances.

I'll get a list of ingredients from the stuff I was using and I will post them, until then I can report (from what I was using)
While on bups and benzos both effects were heightened. I have an incredibly high tolerance to benzos, (as stated I have taken 150mg of diazepam - valium- i believe in the states) and felt nothing.
One person I know died from mixing both at the same time.
Benzo dependence happens rapidly if used daily, introducing even a partial antagonist would probably render a normal dose useless.
Questions:
Do the GABA antagonistic properties of the pill have a delayed effect?
Does mixing bups and benzos increase ones tolerance to the benzos regardless of the antagonistic properties?

Research time.

i doubt that if suboxone has gaba antagonistic effects that they would outweigh the effects of a BZD, that's just my guess. If bupe has antagnoistic properties at the GABA site then one would see a decrease in BZD tolerance if anything, but i don't really think they have a significant interaction other than both being CNS depressants.

as for why 30mg didn't work the same as 4mg? i'd say it has to do with the levels of sub in ur blood like someone mentioned above, that makes perfect sense. I could take 30mg and not get much effects either but i have a huge tolerance and clonazepam just isn't very recreational. I'd probably not remember a thing and do nothing at all but it certainly wouldn't be fun.

for example in opiate withdrawal, no amount of benzo would make me feel entirely better, whether 4mg or 40mg of clonazepam or whatever equiv dosage of another benzo. So my money is on that you didn't have the same amount of suboxone in ur system as the day before.

, but it is nearly impossible to overdose on benzos unless taken with another depressent or something else contraindicated. And like I said, I didn't take them all at once.

And your taking them with suboxone, which is a combination responsible for almost every reported suboxone death. Call your dr, tell him/her what is going on, and ask to be put on something else. Taking 30mg of clonopin on top of whatever dose of suboxone your on, my guess is 8mg, is rediculous. Your going to run out doing that.

Whoever used the obnoxious neon green highlighter font, DO NOT DO SO AGAIN, it's beyond illegible. I don't feel the need to explain further.

^loooooooooooool. Sorry but I just cracked the fuck up when I read that. It was the OP.

Well.
Sources for profiles of benzos I use a comparison table taken out of Benzodiazepine: Konzentrationen, Wirkprofile und Fahrtüchtigkeit by Lütz et al.
I have it as a image in my phone but cannot paste it here but it can be found with google image search with words "benzodiazepine wirkprofile" it is pretty often the first image found. It uses diazepam as a 100% and then compares others against it. It is not a amount conversion chart as other drugs have already been changed to be mg per mg equivalent with diazepam in it and instead it shows the profile of how much anxiolytic, sedative, musclerelaxant and anticonvulsive properties different benzos have.

No I am not a Dr. (Not yet atleast but even when I am it won't be a medical degree) but I have studied to be a paramedic but cannot perform anymore in that duty for health issues.

I was not giving "medical advice" and therefore used in my opinion in my sentences. They were based upon on my own experiences. Therapy did not help for me while on benzos as they lower the ability to learn and other cognitive skills. Although they have other good uses.

lol i wish bupre was a full agonist, but sadly it is only a partial-agonist/antagonist. second, just because klonopin is an anticonvlsant doesnt mean it sucks for anxiety especially when you compare klonopin ans xanax. if xanax is not truely an anxiolytic, than xanax or valium or any other benzo wouldnt either

That habit took a while to recover from, but now that I'm fully recovered, there's no reason I should STILL have a tolerance to benzodiazepines. And sure, I agree, there might be permanent tolerance, but not to the degree where 30mg of clonazepam should have no effect.
But this wasn't the first time you took a benzo after the long break, correct? When you have been dependent on benzos before your tolerance will rise much more rapidly than it would for someone who has never been dependent on benzos. Still, going from 4mg of clonazepam working the previous day to 30mg doing nothing doesn't make sense. And if they were the exact same pills that you took before with noticeable effects then it excludes the possibility of it being something to do with those specific pills.

Suboxone does nothing but make me feel normal, even as I'm slowly tapering off it. And it makes no sense why benzos would be useless after the suboxone leaves my system - no offense but you clearly know nothing about pharmacology.
I think what s/he was getting at is that opioids can increase the effects of benzos, with less opioids in your system you can feel less effects from benzos. For example, when I was on methadone even at quite a low dose, I got noticeable effects from very low doses of benzos, now that I am off it I require higher doses for the same effects. If you had taken Suboxone closer to when you took the clonazepam when it did work, and didn't take any Suboxone on the day when the clonazepam didn't work, this could be a factor to consider.

I still think getting no effects at all from 30mg of clonazepam is strange though.

So you quoted me to correct me after I corrected myself? Thanks man :)
Sorry, I was just trying to explain the difference between Suboxone and "bup" or "bupe" for anyone reading, and some other info about them :)

Just from my experience. I said before 150 mg of valium do nothing for me. This is correct. I have however taken a long break after a 6month detox from benzos, took 10mg and they whiped me out the first time I took them, shortly after (same week) I had to take 25mg, then I started the benzo-bups mix, and last time I did it to help me go through the last day of detox from the bups I had to take 150mg to get, no result.

I'm not trying to be a broken record, but it seems to me that there is some sort of link between benzos and bups

i'm on 16mg of subs a day and 3mg of kpins....they work just fine for me and i've been on them for years. i have no idea how the hell 30mg of kpins did nothing...shit i've been prescribed kpins since i was 17 and i'm 29 now and 10 mgs still gets me wrecked, if its a really bad day yeah it takes more but you should never have to take that much. i'm not tryin to scold you, i'm just shocked i guess. i've always found that suboxone enhanced the klonopin. and fyi suboxone and klonopin are dangerous together in high doses so be careful honey! it can cause breathing problems among many other bad things. please be careful. ask your doctor instead of overdosing. i have a horrible anxiety disorder coupled by a bad home situation, so i understand how it feels. just be careful.

I'm the same way, it's like my body metabolizes clonazepam into sugar or something inactive. not sure what it means.

well they taste like it...minty. but that same thing has happened to mke when i took 15 mgs but they were .25's and nothing happened...could be o clonazepam thing. but i was on 4 mgs a day for 3 years and they worked fine then and every other time i have gotten them on the street or at the clinic.

Hi. Let me start by saying that I have not taking any benzo in at least a year and several months, maybe longer. Today I consumed almost 30 mg of clonazepam (not all at once mind you, but I kept taking more due to feeling no effect). I am not trying to abuse it, I have GAD and SAD and these pills were prescribed to me.

The problem, and quite frankly the paradox of the matter, is that I have taken MUCH lower doses of clonazepam before and felt tremendous relief from my anxiety.

I am also prescribed suboxone. Is it possible the suboxone is blocking the effects of the klonopin? I know the pills are legit, unless the pharmacy themselves forged them.

I also took about 4 mg yesterday and felt the effects, but now nothing. What is the deal? I don't understand. I should be blacking out right now but I'm completely sober.

Also, they are round green pills and say Teva on one side and 833 on the other
http://www.drugs.com/imprints/teva-833-16542.html
Let me start by giving you a little backround info.
Im 25 yrs old, in 2005 i was diagnosed with PTSD, acute panic disorder/anxiety disorder and severe depression. Atm im prescribed ; 6mg clonazepam daily, 75mg methadone daily, 25mg seroquil for sleep when needed, 150mg welbutrin daily, and IM testostorone injections bi-weekly.

I was started on effexor in 2005 and for the next 2 years went on and off of every ssri/snri i know after giving each of them at least 3months to build sufficient levels to work. All of them had far more bad effects than good, i cant even state one good thing that came from any of them. After this, my doctor started me on .5mg ativan sublingual and over 8months worked my way up to 2mg ativan 3x daily. In 2008 i went to my doctor and told him that a friends mom had given me .5mg of clonazepam when i began having a panic attack at his house. I told him they worked far better than the ativan and he started me on .5 mg up to 3x daily, over the next 2years i switched/tried out alprazolam, diazepam, bromazepam, all at high doses and came to the conclusion that the klono anpin worked best. I ended up at a dose of 3mg twice daily as needed and thats what ive been on for the last 4years.

The reason i gave you this info was to simply show you that i have alot of experience with benzos and how they work at dif doses, etc.
If youre taking a benzo for recreational effects and you arent feeling any anxious symptoms, for it to work to its full potential there shouldnt be any in your system. With clonazepam and diazepam after taking a dose, you will not accomplish anything recreationally by re-dosing the same day. With alprazolam its different due to its extremely short half life, but with that comes a serious risk of addiction and horrible withdrawl.

When i want to get buzzed i have to go without any of my klonopin for at Least 5days, 7 being ideal. After taking a large dose and feeling the effects, redosing hours later does nothing. I've taken 40mg's at once on more than one occassion wanting to get high and felt nothing...

With that being said, if youve dosed recreationally and have a panic attack or extreme anxiety come on a day or 2 later and take some clonazepam, the calming effect felt of the bad feelings going away will produce a buzz.

basically, if you want to get high on clonazepam you've got to wait long enough in between doses for the drug to leave your system. The suboxone has nothing to do with it, if anything the suboxone would potentiate the clonazepam

Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Let me start by giving you a little backround info.
Im 25 yrs old, in 2005 i was diagnosed with PTSD, acute panic disorder/anxiety disorder and severe depression. Atm im prescribed ; 6mg clonazepam daily, 75mg methadone daily, 25mg seroquil for sleep when needed, 150mg welbutrin daily, and IM testostorone injections bi-weekly.

I was started on effexor in 2005 and for the next 2 years went on and off of every ssri/snri i know after giving each of them at least 3months to build sufficient levels to work. All of them had far more bad effects than good, i cant even state one good thing that came from any of them. After this, my doctor started me on .5mg ativan sublingual and over 8months worked my way up to 2mg ativan 3x daily. In 2008 i went to my doctor and told him that a friends mom had given me .5mg of clonazepam when i began having a panic attack at his house. I told him they worked far better than the ativan and he started me on .5 mg up to 3x daily, over the next 2years i switched/tried out alprazolam, diazepam, bromazepam, all at high doses and came to the conclusion that the klono anpin worked best. I ended up at a dose of 3mg twice daily as needed and thats what ive been on for the last 4years.

The reason i gave you this info was to simply show you that i have alot of experience with benzos and how they work at dif doses, etc.
If youre taking a benzo for recreational effects and you arent feeling any anxious symptoms, for it to work to its full potential there shouldnt be any in your system. With clonazepam and diazepam after taking a dose, you will not accomplish anything recreationally by re-dosing the same day. With alprazolam its different due to its extremely short half life, but with that comes a serious risk of addiction and horrible withdrawl.

When i want to get buzzed i have to go without any of my klonopin for at Least 5days, 7 being ideal. After taking a large dose and feeling the effects, redosing hours later does nothing. I've taken 40mg's at once on more than one occassion wanting to get high and felt nothing...

With that being said, if youve dosed recreationally and have a panic attack or extreme anxiety come on a day or 2 later and take some clonazepam, the calming effect felt of the bad feelings going away will produce a buzz.

basically, if you want to get high on clonazepam you've got to wait long enough in between doses for the drug to leave your system. The suboxone has nothing to do with it, if anything the suboxone would potentiate the clonazepam

I found the clonazepam did nothing to me at even stupid dose.I feel nothing from it what so ever and i was dosing 60mg. It's a shithouse benzo in my opinion. Bur other hold it high regard. So i guess it's preferance

I know this thread is relatively old.. but, thought i'd put my two cents in:

I'm on 4mg/buprenorphine ("Subutex" brand.. have also taken it on "Suboxone" name brand w/ similar results)

I get more out of 1mg of clonazepam, which is a traditional 1,4-benzodiazepine like diazepam & lorazepam, than i do from thienodiazepines like alprazolam, etizolam (both upwards of 2mg!I get MORE out of 1mg of clonazepam than i do these thienodiazepines which are generally considered more recreational..NOT FOR ME THOUGH!)

HOWEVER- it must be noted that i am on high doses of barbiturates (butalbital) upwards of 1500mg/day AND gabapentin, 2400mg/day. I do know that barbiturates & benzodiazepines have synergetic effects (unknown w/ gabapentin & benzos particularly, as gabapentin's pharmacological effects aren't fully understood; although they are known to have depressant CNS effects). But barbs bind at GABA-a beta subunits, where as benzos bind at GABA-a alpha subunits (mostly), so their effects don't compete w/ each other. Additionally, I don't know if this is relevant or not, but i do not take benzodiazepines daily... only once in a while.

At Kittens- That completely depends on your tolerance, personal physiology, etc... as i said above, alprazolam ("Xanax") is a thienodiazepine, where as clonazepam ("Klonopin") is a traditional 1,4-benzodiazepine. SO- taken by themselves? Its uncertain however much, or if, taken together creates any recreational effect.

I'd highly recommend starting at either A. your tolerant dose (use a conversion chart if you're tolerant to one of these GABAergics & have never taken the other) and/or; B. start at around 0.5mg a piece combined & work your way up.. unless you have like two days to sleep constantly.... then you may start at higher doses. Remember, alprazolam is a quicker acting anxiolytic, whereas clonazepam is a longer acting sedative-hypnotic... so if you're willing to sleep for days? You may start at 1mg of one of the drugs? I suggest against this, though. But if you insist? I'd try 0.5mg-1mg of alprazolam rather than clonazepam... (start at 0.25mg-0.5mg if you have no tolerance)

But again- remember... this is a harm reduction site, not a site on how to get fucked up most adequately. For that? You may want to try Drugs forums (if referencing another drug-forum is against rules now? please edit that part & delete... i've been here since 2003... & i'm not aware of any rule changes as of late... As I don't post too often- i prefer QUALITY orQUANTITY!)

I found the clonazepam did nothing to me at even stupid dose.I feel nothing from it what so ever and i was dosing 60mg. It's a shithouse benzo in my opinion. Bur other hold it high regard. So i guess it's preferance

I disagree... I actually find clonazepam the most adequate 1,4-benzodiazepines; i find the thienobenzodiazepines like alprazolam, etizolam, triazolam, & even the potent midazolam absolute SHIT! I find all 1,4-benzodiazepines much more effective for sedation & anxiolysis! ESPECIALLY compared to drugs in the class of alprazolam.

But again- i'm on the following daily: buprenorphine (w/ both generic "Subutex" & namebrand "Suboxone"), 4mg. Also butalbital (a short acting to an intermediate acting barbiturate) 1500mg. & also 2400mg gabapentin (i.e., "neurontin" name grad; which is a currently unknown acting CNS depressant)... As I said above, barbiturates act on the GABA-a beta receptor subunit, where as benzodiazepines act primary at GABA-a alpha subunits, for the most part

AGAIN- we're a HARM REDUCTION WEBSITE, not a site on how to get fuckedup! Either way, good luck.... stay safe... work yourself UPWARDS FIRST! While Benzos are relatively safe? you may end up sleeping for days or doing fucked up/potentially dangerous shit you don't remember!! I.e, such as my situation? I woke up in the ER w/ a HUGE ASS tube in my dick (HURT LIKE HELL taking it out)... all while on a ventilator!! Fuckin SUCKED!!!

Just be very FUCKING careful... I find these benzos VERY VERY easy to end up to wake up in the ER!! Relative to traditional 1,4-BZPs (diazepam, clonazepam, & lorazepam)... which at worst you'll sleep for a day or two and/or be out of it for it for a bit if ya take too much if you have little-to-no BZP tolerance..Particularly w/ longer / tolerance to the 1,4-BZPs mentioned. The others? Like alprazolam- not so much.

If used w/ barbiturates, as mentioned, they act at the GABA-a receptor sites BUT at the beta sites.. which BZPs barely act on at. Thing is, barbs also have analgesic & minor NMDA antagonism effects, i highly recommend very VERY low dosages of barbiturates, see how one's body reacts.. & if any severe cardiovascular & ventilative-emergency result.

Thing is... NMDA agonists w/ GABA-a positive modulators at high doses?? Your heart fucking stops raaaaaally quick! During very high GABA-a or GABA-b agonism, it is glutamate that keeps you ALIVE. If you antagonize glutamate receptors (via NMDA antagonism) in the process (i.e., barbiturates)... well, your heart will stop real quick & its an easy way to die.

SO... if one is Rx'd this? USE HALF THE INDICATED DOSAGES AT FIRST! (Unless its for epilepsy- in which case its most likely phenobarbital.. which is pretty safe) You do not want to wake up in the ER/HOSPITAL w/ a painful tube in your genetial!! SO.. Just very VERY slowly work your dosages up if you're on benzos AND barbiturates... until you're stabilized.
JUST a forewarning for any individuals on both types of GABAergics!

Last edited:
@phDMT

I don't know where you got the alleged benzodiazepine Clonazepam. I only assume, from a USA Medical Doctor, and the
prescription, was filled at likely a chain, or independent USA pharmacy. With that being said...........................................

I have been off and on benzodiazepines, for 40 years, taking breaks, as long, once, for 7 years uninterrupted, another time,
for 10 years uninterrupted. In the here and now, at least since the year 2006, I take benzodiazepines, and, here in the USA,
I find massive quality control issues, with, these Benzo's from USA pharmacies:
1. Alprazolam (Generic Mylan sucks) just google up and look for many negative comments on Mylan generic Xanax.
2. Clonazepam (Actavis, UDL, Sandoz are "so-so" , while IMHO, Qualitest, UDL, and especially Watson generics are good, the very
best Clonazepam, I directly compare my prescription with, the Roche K Cut, "USA made Klonopin" from Roche Park, in
Nutley, New Jersey 07110 a division of Hoffman la Roche, Inc, of Basil, Switzerland. I switch back and forth this past year, from
Roche, which are very hard now to locate, and are very expensive, with, the generic Actavis, Morristown, New Jersey USA. I
find the 1 mg cut out K Roche are from 40% to 50% stronger. Why? in chemistry language, it is the "Bioavailability" difference!
3. Diazepam (same story) Roche V-Cut fancy 5mg or 10mg brand Valium, from Nutley NJ (Roche Park) are 40 to 50% stronger, than
the much cheaper, USA generic Mylan Diazepam, which in my book are trash, just like Teva diazepam. The "so-so" diazepam in
the USA are, the Roxane, UDL generics, and the best are the Qualitest, and the Watson generic Diazepam. Unfortunately, the price
range of brand, and very hard to find Roche Valium compared to any generic Valium is outrageous. I last compared USA made
V-Cut prescription 10mg blue Valiums in both 2009 and 2010. I last compared phony Roche and real Roche in a Latin country in 2012

If by chance, you are getting your Clonazepam, from anywhere outside the USA, just beware, that Roche and Pfizer products are
the most counterfeited pills IMHO, in the modern world. I have spent a small fortune, on Roche Clonazepam, in Mexico, United
Kingdom, Spain, Pakistan, Philippines, Argentina, Germany, and two countries in Eastern Europe, all known as Roche Rivotril, including
blister packs from South Africa................that..................
were only 1/2 strength (the 2 mg were all very weak, compared to the USA 1 mg Roche Klonopin. Including United Kingdom Roche Rivotril, & UK
produced Auden McKenzie generic Clonazepam 2 mg tablets.

Part of a significant problem, within the UNITED STATES, is the lack of controls, in the generic "bioavailability" of the cheap fillers
and buffers, that may make up only 20% of the medication, but it can have a powerful negative effect, on how the human body
breaks down the medicine, even worse, if one is taking more than one medication, also with cheap generic fillers and buffers. The
USA drug quality has gone downhill in the past 10 years, due to many mergers, with foreign parent pharma firms, such as...
Ranbaxy, and Teva. Other Continents have experienced similar mergers, with parent firms, who built up their business, selling to
3rd world countries, with poor quality control standards. The USA only has quality control on Generic prescription drugs in the
area of "Bioequilvalence" all based on the FDA's dependence on the USA Orange Book ratings, "18 different ratings" Source:
REDBOOK Pharmacy's Fundamental Reference 113th edition 2009. The Bioavailability can vary from 20 to 40% in the USA.

Alprazolam, varies within the USA, just like the above mentioned benzo's, with, again, Mylan being trash. It may have a Orange
Book rating of "AB" (good) for Bioequivalence, but, the Bioavailability sucks. Greenstone and Dava are far higher in USA quality.

The International Operating Pharmacies, from, all the previous countries already cited, all have a high hit ratio, for, low quality
Xanax (Tafil) due to flagrant counterfeiting, by one buying expired meds, that are excellently repackaged, but exposed to very
high heat, or, a deeply cut benzodiazepine, with a overabundance of cheap fillers and buffers, with "not the milligram content of
pill, you, the consumer, is paying for". vs. outright, duds, (a minority) but they do exist, with, only perhaps talcum powder in the
contents, bathtub quality sanitary conditions, and very poor printing presses, or substitute benzo/hypnotics/or OTC rip off meds.

I personally found in one Latin American Country, in 2012, for a pharmacist to sell me 3 different controlled drugs, Pfizer Tafil,
Roche Rivotril, and Sanofi Stilnox that were 100% fake, without a prescription, and two days later, with a M.D and a referral, to
a honest combo pharmacist/owner who spoke English, sell me the real prescription meds, that is how haphazard it is even in the
Western hemisphere, south of the USA border!!!

Last edited:
I've recently been switched (unwillingly, btw) to clonazepam from alprazolam.
Right away I knew it wasn't in any way similar to my alprazolam. The funny thing is that although I was worried about wd's when I switched, the clonazepam stopped that from happening.
In the past I have been through extreme wd's when out of alprazolam. I was mixing words up without realizing it, and got to the point where I was talking complete nonsense...that was when I FINALLY was able to get my xanax filled. Very scary.
On topic though ...I've found that clonazepam works better for me at reasonably low doses (1-2mg, same dose I used to take of xanax). The few times I took much more than that, I found it to be even less effective.
Cat