• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Methadone: Intranasal vs Oral use

Bigd555

Greenlighter
Hey guys,

I am a member on here for around 3 years but I haven't used this site very much and I forgot my username. Also I cant recover it because I don't have access to that email any more. Just saying this to say hey guys!

I know with methadone its better to eat the pill than it is to snort it, not only for avoiding the burn but because it doesn't make it kick in any quicker (it still takes a few hours for it to kick in). Is this correct? Also is the reason for this is that it has to be metabolized in the liver before it passes through the blood brain barrier and kicks in? I posted this on 420chan and I want to make sure that my info is correctly given.

", here alot of people use it (Methadone) as their DOC since it has such a large half life, lasts a long time, and they say they love to go "snort that 'done" and they say "you know its working when your nose feels like you stuck a hot poker up there and swirled it around". Needless to say they are idiots and they wont let me or anyone who knows what they are doing that snorting methadone doesn't cause it to kick in faster nor does it work better. But they sware up and down that within 10 mins they are high (placebo effect lulz) and get higher than when its taken orally. Even injecting it really doesn't make it come on much quicker and it provides no rush. I knew a person (Defiantly not a friend) who would inject his take home dose of methadone and it was the sugared kind. But of course he was one of the idiots who wouldn't let anyone tell him differently and he thought he knew everything about everything. "

I know that injecting methadone is useless because it provides no rush. Does injecting make it kick in substantually faster or do people inject it because of the placebo effect and the fact they just love using needles (I forget what its called when people IV just so they can IV, needle love or needle affection or something like that).

Thanks guys and I hope to stick around and become more active!

Bigd555

I can't say much about most of your thread, except the following:

Snorted methadone is extremely painful. To put it lightly. It is something I would never, ever repeat, especially when it takes any more than 1/4th of a 10mg pill to get high.

IV methadone provides an extremely strong rush.

Cy

Edit: Also, I think methadones time to effect / long t1/2 is due to its fat solubility (Not so much metabolization in the liver being necessary for effect)

Last edited:
Snorting it is said to be incredibly painful. Also, I believe many methadone formulations contain talc, which is a nasty and potentially quite dangerous substance to be snorting.

Methadone does not have to be metabolized into anything before crossing the BBB; it is active in itself. Insufflating it will probably produce effects faster than oral administration, but it is not absorbed very efficiently via the intranasal route if I recall correctly, and has high oral BA, so I would recommend just eating them.

IV methadone provides an extremely strong rush.

many, including myself, experience no rush from IV methadone. i'm not discrediting those who do but it's not as common as made out to be to some people.

Yeah, I've never gotten a significant rush from IV methadone.. and just take it orally, certainly don't snort it. Wasteful and painful.

Same here no rush from IV methadone ,shortened duration however , like 10-12 hours short.

I Iv'd 60mg's of methadone after I took my 85mg dose one day and didn't feel shit. I always heard snorting/shooting methadone was worthless and the bio-availability was higher if you take it oral but I read on another site that this guy felt an "intense, orgasmic" rush from 45 mg's of methadone, daily methadone user too. So I tried it, wasted my fucking takehome dose, I could've taken it and been high as fuck, just drink/eat that shit. You'll be higher and your veins will thank you, save the needle for a drug that's worth IVing.

Exactly... I knew there was no rush, but doesnt snorting and IVing just make it kick in just as quickly as when taken orally? Again I think it has to be metabolised by the liver (I remember reading it in a medical journal or drug trial notes, somewhere). Can anyone confirm?

^^ I NEVER got high snorting either, it just fucked my nose up. I don't know why the oral bio availability is alot stronger than intranasal/intravenous/IM but it is. I'm a needle junkie, but i'd never waste my methadone snorting or shooting it.

Using methadone recreationally is just an all around bad idea. Some people with legitimate hadrcore pain claim excellent results
but like just about everything else, tolerance builds fast, especially using too soon after initial dose allot of people take the long "half life" way for granted...It is really only good for holding (maintenance) An opioid tolerant person will usually feel a recreational dose somewhat dirty - cheap - overblown etc...and not worth the side effects if they try to chase for any length of time.
But it could work very well for extreme pain for some people, but you have to stick to it for that purpose only !

the T1/T2 makes methadone a rather shitty choice for pain management in my opinion and is probably a leading factor in why people overdose even sticking to their dosing schedule.

sure, the half-life is long but the overall pain killing effects are rather short in comparison to, say, IR oxycodone. which leads to the user having to dose more often, leaving the methadone to pool up in their system. the analgesia wears off, they dose again (with a heap of methadone still coursing through their system) and next minute they're flopping.

just my opinion, of course. many people find it a great PM tool.

Also using methadone causes one of the worst opiate WDs you can experience, methadone, fentanyl because of the high half life. But Tramadol has the worst WDs out of any drug because of the combination of opiate and SSRI WD's. SSRI WDs can kill you, thats why doctors say never ever stop taking an anti-depressant cold turkey due to the HIGH possibilities of dangerous complications, plus you got the terrible wds that is caused from the opiate part to tramadol.

you have to use those huge ass 3cc rigs with like a 23 gauge needle to push that sludge through, but if you can do this(not everyone can iv w/this size needle, i had to use a big ass vein in my leg), btw it is hard to plunge but if you can get say 80 to 120 mgs in you quickly, well me anyway, i get a really pins and needles/histamine rush and it can be particularly intense. now i did this while dope sick on the street, not with my doses...never, only a few times too but imo that cherry sucrose is baaaad news to put in ones vein and LOTSof people do it!

you have to use those huge ass 3cc rigs with like a 23 gauge needle to push that sludge through, but if you can do this(not everyone can iv w/this size needle, i had to use a big ass vein in my leg), btw it is hard to plunge but if you can get say 80 to 120 mgs in you quickly, well me anyway, i get a really pins and needles/histamine rush and it can be particularly intense. now i did this while dope sick on the street, not with my doses...never, only a few times too but imo that cherry sucrose is baaaad news to put in ones vein and LOTSof people do it!

I used a 1cc Insulin Syringe with mine, but I had the red liquid. I only did it after reading a few people saying the rush was 'amazing'. Must've been trolling.

Using methadone recreationally is just an all around bad idea. Some people with legitimate hadrcore pain claim excellent results
but like just about everything else, tolerance builds fast, especially using too soon after initial dose allot of people take the long "half life" way for granted...It is really only good for holding (maintenance) An opioid tolerant person will usually feel a recreational dose somewhat dirty - cheap - overblown etc...and not worth the side effects if they try to chase for any length of time.
But it could work very well for extreme pain for some people, but you have to stick to it for that purpose only !

I kinda liked when I was I was able to feel my methadone, when i was bumped from 25 to 35mg and even more so 35 to 45. I spent the whole 2 weeks after those bumps taking some hydroxyzine or promethazine with it and i would be a in very comfortable nod land full of warmness and day dreaming. And I was dilaudid IV user before I bit the bullet and decided i could no longer afford to shoot monetarily and physically.

Am now at 60mg and I don't chase an opi nod anymore. Smoking weed with it a little will make the weed very very sedating and bring up the euphoric effects a little but I only smoke sunday mornings, that is my sabbath where i wake n bake. Unlike a lot of methadone users I work, at 60mg not only it kills the pain I was living with since years which led me to using opiates without prescription. I feel normal and depression is unheard of, which reinforces my previous thinking that I also was suffering from endorphin deficiency disorder, a problem starting to get real attention.

I have been using Methadone for about 10 years now after a serious injury that couldn't be repaired even after dozens of surgeries. I was on 150mcg fentanyl patches for a while, and while they helped with the pain better than anything else, I couldn't function at all. I requested being put on something else, and after years of trying everything from meperidine to oxymorphone I switched to Methadone because it controlled the pain very well and gave me some flexibility on my dosing window. Unlike for maintenance purposes, methadone for pain requires two to three doses per day. You don't fall into withdrawal if you're an hour or two late taking your pill, you just start having the pain creep back up. SWIM did try insufflating it once, and holy shit was that a bad idea. It was like having a soldering iron stuck in SWIM's nose for almost an hour. I don't know if it came on harder or quicker because SWIM was so distracted by the jellyfish that had set up shop in SWIM's sinuses. Definitely not worth it. I've now tapered down to 30mg a day (10mgx3) from 120mg, but I would not recommend it as a recreational drug. That said, if someone were to want to use it recreationally and wanted to up the effect and prolong it, the best way would be to add between 0.5mg and 1mg, and drink a ton of white grapefruit juice to occupy as many liver enzymes as possible so that the medication takes longer to process out.

Welcome to BL! Thank you for your contribution there, a lot of folks don’t realize how effective it is for pain compared to many other opioids.

Just a little FYI though, we don’t use SWIM on BL. That aside, please carry on.

I am in maintenance with methadone since 2005 and once I try snort a very small amount suffering a strong pain in the nose. I can't snort it