• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Does Atarax ( hydroxyzine) enhance the effects of Opioids?

96chanz

Bluelighter
So I have a prescription of 30 (25MG) Atarax. It's an antihistamine. And I've heard they inhance the effects of Opioids such as Oxycodone, Hydrocodone, Codiene, etc. Is this true?

Hydroxyzine is my favorite anti-histamine for opiate potentiation. Favorite.

Yes it will increase the pain killing effects of opiates in addition to adding sedation and curing nausea caused by opiates

if you want to not induce respiratory depression by multiplying the CNS-depressing effects of the Atarax with the opiate, I strongly discourage you from doing this. Add alcohol, and you're screwed. That is, if you're alive still to read this. you might think it's fine while you're awake, but uh, your body slows down as it is just by itself when you go to sleep, and add in the compounding multiplication of CNS depression from the two drugs, where the combination depresses your heart and lungs more than either drug alone, and yeah, you're not alive.

Yes it will increase the pain killing effects of opiates in addition to adding sedation and curing nausea caused by opiates

the person who wrote this isn't going to bother attending your funeral if you overdose in your sleep, yet seems quite content with spewing shit out of his ass. Atarax is not an analgesic, nor does it compound an analgesic. All it will do is slow you down, so you are too foggy to focus on pain, and slow down your heart and lungs while they're slowing down during sleep as it is.

Okay, thank you. Thanks for the info. Not going to do that. I already take Xanax for severe anxiety and panic attacks which effects the CNS ; so thanks for the info. Oxycodone and Xanax will be the only thing I'm taking. Funny thing is the doctor prescribed me the Atarax knowing He prescribes me Xanax and Oxycodone.

I really dont think xanax along with your oxy is any safer than hydroxizine, I honestly think it'd be a little worse overall. I've done and used both and benzo's with opiates is pretty dangerous especially depending on the dosage. Benzo's and antihistimines are both great potentiators of opiates but they can both be really dangerous if you take them in high doses. Hope you see this before something happens but I also think cloudstillcloud needs to calm down a little bit

Okay, thank you. Thanks for the info. Not going to do that. I already take Xanax for severe anxiety and panic attacks which effects the CNS ; so thanks for the info. Oxycodone and Xanax will be the only thing I'm taking. Funny thing is the doctor prescribed me the Atarax knowing He prescribes me Xanax and Oxycodone.
lol that is indeed a bit odd... Probably riding that wave himself. ;)

oh and regarding your question: hell yes it works as it has been stated before. the breathing depression works through a different mechanism than the one opiates use to depress your breathing, so the chance for that reaching a critical level would definitely be increased quite a bit. I dont think itd be anything to worry about if you stick to a constant dosage which you first work your way up to ofc.

Atarax is not an analgesic, nor does it compound an analgesic.
That's not quite correct, Hydroxizine does possess antinociceptive properties, though that's facilitated through a different route from the opiate analgesia.

So I have a prescription of 30 (25MG) Atarax. It's an antihistamine. And I've heard they inhance the effects of Opioids such as Oxycodone, Hydrocodone, Codiene, etc. Is this true?

Yes. I've usually taken 50-75mg - personally I've found I could then reduce my opioid dose by around 1/3, though maybe to stay on the safe side you should test with half your normal opioid dose first.
Excellent for potentiating opioids, and also helps with the itching many opioids (particularly codeine/morphine/heroin) produce at larger doses.

It's enhance with an 'e' FYI, and hydroxyzine, although it's my favorite antihistamine although diphenhydramine is just as good and sometimes more effective for antihistamine effects, but for combination with opioids, I prefer hydroxyzine at the right dose.

Hydroxyzine is a pretty cool drug, it's an anxiolytic, antiobsessive, even mild antipsychotic action but nothing serious, also analgesic, sedative, hypnotic and tranquilizing properties. On paper, it seems to be quite the wonder drug. In reality, It's good for antihistamine needs in general, although for stronger itchies like morphine I'd definitely go with diphenhydramine. Hydroxyzine is great in combination with benzodiazepines.

I take 50-100mg hydroxyzine before I dose my opioid analgesics for the extra antinociceptive properties.