• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

What is it with stimulants and cigarettes?

Louis CK

Bluelighter
Does anyone know why stimulants give people such a strong craving for cigarettes? I smoke occasionally, about 1-2 cigarettes a day, but whenever I'm on any kind of stimulant, I'm sucking down at least 4-5 an hour. Is it because cigarettes are a stimulant and I'm craving boosting my high? I honestly have no idea...

all drugs that act on dopamine cause me to smoke more. I believe its a way for the body to "Medicate" the excess dopamine situation. schizophrenics smoke a lot too and they have heightend dopamine levels in the brain.

Interesting. I've found that quitting methadone has made me smoke a lot more, but I don't think I smoke more than usual on stimulants.

It could be the action of smoking.
A second or two of the thought "mmm what now?" will have you light up to help answer that question. And the cycle continues until the stimulant wears off.

So you are always doing something, even if it's just smoking a cigarette.

yes! smoking tobacco activates the harmla alkaloids which inhibit MAO-B which is the monoamine oxidase whcih primarily metabolizes dopamine.

stimulants like amphetamines releases neurotransmitters and acts as a MAOI. this combination of effect dramatically inreases dopamine and increase the pleasure and addiction qualites. MAOI act as the reinforcement part in which addiction and obsessiveness occurs.

i chain smoke on amphetamines and cocaine, it feels good, but if you gain a tolerance, then it is like a nonchalant thing. nicotine and harmala MAOI synergizes with amphetamines, or in other words, tobacco will increase dopamine which increases pleasure.

I'm a non-smoker but I totally feel you. There's something about it that just feels so clean (ironically).
This is really interesting stuff!

I think almost every intoxicating substance I've ever had made me crave cigarrettes more. The only exceptions were relatively strong opiates such as morphine or dilaudid. On those I could smoke or not smoke and it'd be no big deal. When I've been in the hospital on morphine I never really craved a smoke at all. I did smoke. I just didn't have to have one. On everything else I smoke considerably more than usual.

Any sort of drug makes me want to smoke honestly - be it alcohol, other downers, stimulants...no idea why; I'd speculate that it's just because it's something to do though :\

yes! smoking tobacco activates the harmla alkaloids which inhibit MAO-B which is the monoamine oxidase whcih primarily metabolizes dopamine.

stimulants like amphetamines releases neurotransmitters and acts as a MAOI. this combination of effect dramatically inreases dopamine and increase the pleasure and addiction qualites. MAOI act as the reinforcement part in which addiction and obsessiveness occurs.

i chain smoke on amphetamines and cocaine, it feels good, but if you gain a tolerance, then it is like a nonchalant thing. nicotine and harmala MAOI synergizes with amphetamines, or in other words, tobacco will increase dopamine which increases pleasure.

Noe this is interesting. Can we get some confirmations of this (no offence laCster of course).

I thought it was something that was enhanced and rewarded and thus repeated like any other activity on stims.

Just remember the downside of exacerbating vasocontriction.

Nicotine , a substance frequently
implicated in tobacco addiction, has
been shown to have "relatively weak"
addictive properties when
administered alone. [16] The addictive
potential increases dramatically after
co-administration of an MAOI, which
specifically causes sensitization of the
locomotor response in rats, a measure
of addictive potential. [17][18] This
may be reflected in the difficulty of
smoking cessation , as tobacco contains
naturally-occurring MAOI compounds
in addition to the nicotine.
-Wikipedia.

^^ Because of this, does this then cause a danger of SS for example, or do cigs not dose enough nicotine to reach the required levels?

^^ Because of this, does this then cause a danger of SS for example, or do cigs not dose enough nicotine to reach the required levels?

I'm pretty sure cigs wouldn't cause serotonin syndrome, if that's what you were talking about.

Stimulants are infamous for reinforcing obsessive behaviour especially with nervous tics and habits. Friends of mine who hardly smoke can go through packs a night, and I noticed a qualitative enhancement of the stimulant high when I have tried smoking.

i dont smoke anymore and stimulants make them taste worse, but my old girlfriend smokes like a pack a day when shes binging hard during finals on her script.

Ive never had issues with that. I've chained smoked on very high doses of e+dxm (very dangerous combo) and had no issues.

could using nicotine in large amounts alleviate anticholinergic delirium such as dph/atropine/scopalomine trips gone bad? (like all of them lol)

i always assumed that the reason for chain smoking so heavily on stims was because they make you more energetic and you need to keep your hands and jaw occupied, however this doesnt explain the fact that i started smoking when drinking and still chain smoke when drunk...

i always assumed that the reason for chain smoking so heavily on stims was because they make you more energetic and you need to keep your hands and jaw occupied, however this doesnt explain the fact that i started smoking when drinking and still chain smoke when drunk...

Yeah i rekon its focus related. I have often forgotten to smoke for 3 days and other trips i smoke a lot. Just depending on if you slot it in to you regular list of actions for that experience. Same as doing the good things like water, food and vitamins. Im working on remembering to do those instead of smoke. Not easy.

It does slightly enchances the buzz for a few minutes, but then you crave for more. It could affect serotonin sydrome a bit or just the thirst. i've found out that you can smoke speed in a way, by doing a tiny but long line, licking the cigarete vertically and just dippin/sticking that line to it. smoke it very slow, i mean VERY slow. I couldnt believe that it works after one guy showed me how to do it, tried it myself.