Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

(Diphenhydramine-75mg EXPIRED) First Time

recre8

Greenlighter
so about almost 2 years ago i was talking to this guy who was a total pothead (that i was madly in love with from the first conversation) who opened my eyes to a lot of new things. including new ways to get high. he had told me some pretty awesome stories about tripping out on benadryl and he always used to say whenever he did, he would see spiders in the corners of the room. me, having complete arachnophobia, was completely paranoid by the thought of that. eventually one night i said fuck it and i took what i could find. so i found three individually wrapped 25mg pink pills that had expired in 06... needless to say i didnt know anything about anything so i was afraid that that meant they wouldnt work. but apparently when a pill *expires* it just means its gradually less potent... i knew it wouldnt probably be the full affect this guy would tell me about because expired or not it was really only 75mg not the 500-700 he would talk about. i was nervous, so i called him up and we really just had a deep conversation. my bed felt so comfortable and i felt pretty happy in general. i was kinda sedated but not really tired. i had a few mild hallucinations like every time i closed my eyes i saw like a fat buddha or sumo wrestler smiling at me and it was all really chinese-y. this is the only good experience ive ever had with benadryl. ill make more posts in the future about how this garbage turned my life upside down.

i often take 75mg to sleep or for my allergies, sometimes even more. The effects are negligible at these doses unless you aren't used to it, then it's kind of like a nice sleepy feeling. I'd be interested in reading how this substance turned your life upside down.

Right, the effects you were experienced are normal for therapeutic dosages (diphenhydramine comes in 25mg pills and 50mg pills), 75mg isn't enough to cause the 'hallucinations' and delerium that comes with dosages of 150mg and up. Basically, that sedation and mild feeling of intoxication is standard first generation H1 antagonist effects.

I actually developed over the period of four or five months, a huge tolerance to Benadryl as I was using it for insomnia. By the time I quit, I was consuming 500+mg/day, and this was not in an attempt to get high, but (stupidly) to knock myself out as I was not allowing myself to use any additional benzodiazepines. The interesting thing is that even though I reached that dosage over a period of months, only upping my dosage when the prior one stopped producing sedation, is that once I got to around 200mg, the hallucinations started, and I had only increased my dose by 25mg (from 175mg). From that dose upwards, the visuals, tachycardia and paranoia would increase, but somehow I would also at times experience an intoxication that was sedating as well as comforting. In the end though, I just cannot believe that it is healthy to consume that much diphenhydramine, the fact that it starts to dry you out is enough, but I have arachnophobia as well.

i've looked into it and DPH is quite benign on the body. The anticholinergic (sp?) effects are unpleasant but not harmful from my research. So long as you aren't taking 1g/day of the stuff and just using 50-100mg for sleep/allergies, it's benign.

^you should have tried doxylamine, a much better AH for sleep IME.

Right, that's good to know, I really meant that it just made me feel gross.

I actually did end up switching to doxylamine towards the end at an equivalent dose, and while it was much smoother and not nearly as 'dirty' feeling, it seemed to be incredibly short acting in comparison to Diphenhydramine.