• CD Moderators: Thomas Davie | Darksidesam | Madness
  • Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

How to prevent the munchies?

parachuteantics

Bluelighter
I have been on a diet recently and have been also excercising, trying to lose some weight. I quit weed for about two weeks and lost an extra two pounds from not snacking as much while high. While I am high, I can stuff my face, eating a whole box of cookies or something. Now I am on a diet right now and I do not smoke daily but often on weekends. Even when I am dieting and snacking while high, I eat only low calorie snacks, but I could eat double or triple the amount and feel near starving. Why is this?

Any personal tips to prevent myself from either feeling as hungry while high...?

All I can recommend is discipline or just not smoking at all, you can't stop your brain from producing more of the neurotransmitter responsible for hunger, it just doesn't work that way. That's why it seems like you're still hungry while you're eating, it's a certain chemical which your brain produces and using cannabinoids makes your brain produce far more of that chemical. Ever notice how when you smoke weed all day every day for weeks and then stop how you're not really hungry anymore? That's your brain not producing enough anandamide, because it got over stimulated by the other cannabinoids.

I can easily not eat when I'm hungry because I'm used to it, even when I'm high, that's all I can tell you to do. If you do want to smoke while on a diet all I can suggest is doing more exercise since that's rather easy to do when high, or just go binge on raw food, eating it is awesome and you won't really have to worry about calories.

i sometimes eat before i get high so im not extra hungry when the munchies kick in

keep your mind occupied on something productive, keep moving.

Just ignore it, if you cant ignore the munchies you don't have very much mental resolve imo

* eat first
* drink water
* exercise (I hit the bong, then do pushups/situps/etc and the rush from that helps block out the desire for chips)

If I eat before I am high, I usually eat anyway after I smoke haha, so I usually wait to eat until after I smoke. I think my best bet is just try to avoid having food that I like in the house or low cal/healthy food. I just don't understand how I can feel so hungry, it's like all I can think about sometimes. Maybe this feeling could be enhanced because I am on a diet. But I have never experienced the feeling of not being hungry / lack of appetite when I "quit" smoking - I think due to the fact I do go long periods of time without smoking anyway. When I do smoke, it's like I go fucking nuts over food, very weird, it's like a prioritity.

Just ignore it, if you cant ignore the munchies you don't have very much mental resolve imo

That's what I tell people that say their Xanax withdrawals are too much to go through. It doesn't make it true, it just makes me an opinionated dickhead.

[EDIT: OP, I say embrace the food. I'm not a fan of diets and calorie-counting and all that jazz. I eat a fuck ton and my weight hasn't fluctuated more than 7lbs since 2008-ish, so I say enjoy it. Weed makes me enjoy most things more than I do sober, and eating is definitely one of those things.

Really, though, if you don't want to embrace it and can't, for whatever reason, ignore your munchies, then you're left with two choices that I can see: 1. stop smoking, and 2. Only keep health food in the house. It doesn't take rocket appliances to figure out that you can't pig out too badly if you don't have the essential junk food.]

Last edited:
uhh ignoring hunger is much different to withdrawing from a drug

When did I compare the two? I likened my response in one situation to your response in another situation, and tied it together by insinuating you're a dick much in the same way I am.

Fuck, man, you're kind of slow too. I hate having to explain shit that really shouldn't need any explanation... I mean, the words were right there for you. All you had to do was understand them.

[EDIT: OP, I say embrace the food. I'm not a fan of diets and calorie-counting and all that jazz. I eat a fuck ton and my weight hasn't fluctuated more than 7lbs since 2008-ish, so I say enjoy it. Weed makes me enjoy most things more than I do sober, and eating is definitely one of those things.

Really, though, if you don't want to embrace it and can't, for whatever reason, ignore your munchies, then you're left with two choices that I can see: 1. stop smoking, and 2. Only keep health food in the house. It doesn't take rocket appliances to figure out that you can't pig out too badly if you don't have the essential junk food.]

Thanks, good practical advice as other have pointed out. I was just looking for others opinions and personal things they do to avoid the munchies especially while dieting. Just a general questions of how others or recommendations on the subject.

Thanks, good practical advice as other have pointed out. I was just looking for others opinions and personal things they do to avoid the munchies especially while dieting. Just a general questions of how others or recommendations on the subject.

Personally, when I'm hungry but can't or don't want to eat, I just drink a lot of water. It tricks your stomach into thinking your full through sheer volume, and also packs a whopping 0 calories.

Celery is also a good choice, being roughly 90%-95% water. Remember ants on a log? Fuckin' kindergarten HIT, man, and all's you need is some celery, peanut butter and raisins. I always said fuck the ants, though, I can't stand raisins.

As a stoner with an incredibly fast metabolism who usually eats 4-6 meals a day I've had plenty of experience.

1) Hydration: cannot be stressed enough, some people say 50% of hunger is thirst, I cannot verify that statistic but H2O is fucking important.

2) Pre-munching: I think the idea is that you're able to ignore the munchies long enough that they eventually fade to a reasonable level. Works pretty well.

3) Stimulants: I would not recommend this method but I was born in the Ritalin generation and where doctors gave out cherry flavored amphetamines to anyone who brought their kid to the doctor. Caffeine can work as well.

4) Get yo' ass off the couch you lazy pot head! As I get older I find myself veggin' out of the couch more, but usually it's just to play with the cat. She's so damn cute that the thought of munchies doesn't even cross my mind.

5) Selective snacking: I find that protein-rich snacks take longer to absorb and thus stave off munchies longer. Nuts and berries rock (if you're a starving student then go mix up some custom made trail mix at your local specialty grocer, proceed to self checkout and ring it up as oats, or whatever the cheapest thing happens to be).

6) Don't smoke weed.

If someone could direct me to a good resource on single/double serving edible extraction methods it would be much appreciated.
8o

Disraeli beers, you nailed it. I smoke mad dro and don't really munchy too much because I always eat first, stay hydrated, take prescription amphetamines, and always have healthy food on hand to eat before AND after getting stoned. Also If I'm smoking sativa instead of indica, it's more stimulating to get up and move around rather than pass the F out.

- Tobacco
- Caffeine

Also plenty of other drugs you probably aren't interested in doing right now if all you want is to relax on weed without munchies... the things i mentioned are pretty mild and help even in small amounts