• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc ambien plus melatonin

cornerstone430

Bluelighter
I have been taking ambien for some time. About 8months. It worked really welll the first month but started not doing shit for me unless i took 30mg on an empty stomach. When i first started taking it . had almost a psychelic property to it. Recently started taking 5mg melatonin with it and it works great with it and my sleep is productive.

any one else take ambien and dont work try taking melatonin with it. Was going to start a melatonin thread but hell. Seems the combination has also been helping my schizo symptoms as well.
anyone have input on the mechanics of melatonin and mental illness.

thanks

i have been taking ambien for some time. About 8months. It worked really welll the first month but started not doing shit for me unless i took 30mg on an empty stomach. When i first started taking it . Had almost a psychelic property to it. Recently started taking 5mg melatonin with it and it works great with it and my sleep is productive.

Any one else take ambien and dont work try taking melatonin with it. Was going to start a melatonin thread but hell. Seems the combination has also been helping my schizo symptoms as well.
Anyone have input on the mechanics of melatonin and mental illness.

Thanks

get ambien cr 12.5 mg. This is the one that keeps you to sleep. The reg ambien only make you fall asleep. If you use it every night you get immune to it just like everything else. Its not meant to use forever. Take it everyother night and just lay your head down, no tv's nothing and you will fall asleep soon. The less you use it the better it works when you really need it.

What is melatonin?
Melatonin is a hormone made by the pineal gland , a small gland in the brain. Melatonin helps control your sleep and wake cycles. Very small amounts of it are found in foods such as meats, grains, fruits, and vegetables. You can also buy it as a supplement.

What does natural melatonin do in the body?
Your body has its own internal clock that controls your natural cycle of sleeping and waking hours. In part, your body clock controls how much melatonin your body makes. Normally, melatonin levels begin to rise in the mid- to late evening, remain high for most of the night, and then drop in the early morning hours.

Light affects how much melatonin your body produces. During the shorter days of the winter months, your body may produce melatonin either earlier or later in the day than usual. This change can lead to symptoms of seasonal affective disorder (SAD), or winter depression.

Natural melatonin levels slowly drop with age. Some older adults make very small amounts of it or none at all.

Why is melatonin used as a dietary supplement?
Melatonin supplements are sometimes used to treat jet lag or sleep problems (insomnia). Scientists are also looking at other good uses for melatonin, such as:

Treating seasonal affective disorder (SAD).
Helping to control sleep patterns for people who work night shifts.
Preventing or reducing problems with sleeping and confusion after surgery.
Reducing chronic cluster headaches.
It may be that melatonin, when taken as a supplement, can stop or slow the spread of cancer, make the immune system stronger, or slow down the aging process. But these areas need more research.

Melatonin is also being studied to see if it can be used to treat sleep problems in people who are blind.1 Since these people cannot see light, they may have sleep problems such as sleeping during the day and being awake at night.

Is taking a melatonin dietary supplement safe?
In most cases, melatonin supplements are safe in low doses for short-term and long-term use. But be sure to talk with your doctor about taking them.

Children and pregnant or nursing women should not take melatonin without talking to a doctor first.

Melatonin does have side effects. But they will go away when you stop taking the supplement. Side effects may include:

Sleepiness.
Lower body temperature.
Vivid dreams.
Morning grogginess.
Small changes in blood pressure.
If melatonin makes you feel drowsy, do not drive or operate machinery when you are taking it.

During health exams, tell your doctor if you are taking melatonin. And tell your doctor if you are having trouble sleeping (insomnia), because it may be related to a medical problem.

In adults, melatonin is taken in doses from 0.2 to 20.0 mg, based on the reason for its use. The right dose varies widely from one person to another. Talk to your doctor to learn the right dosage and to find out if melatonin is right for you.

Where can you find melatonin as a supplement?
You can buy melatonin supplements without a prescription at health food stores, drugstores, and online. Melatonin should only be taken in its man-made form. The form that comes from ground-up cow pineal glands is rarely used, because it may spread disease.

Further Reading:Melatonin Supplements May Not Help Sleep Better Sleep Tips for Business Trips Best Time to Take Melatonin? The 'Body Clock' Way to Better Health Daylight-Saving Time: Time to Fall Back ... Into Bed? Sleeplessness and Circadian Rhythm Disorder Testing for Circadian Rhythm Disorder See All Circadian Rhythm Topics

iN MY OPINION TAKING THEM BOTH ARE CALMING YOUR NERVES, THEY SLOW YOUR RESPIRATORY SYSTEM DOWN. AND CAN POSSIBLE HAVE EFFECT ON YOUR SCHIZO....TALK TO YOUR DR.

Thanks Jojo, that was very informative! I get insomnia and sometimes use 3 mg melatonin. I noticed occassionally had crazy dreams but it's better than not sleeping at all. To the OP, ambien is good for short term, as another poster mentioned. Use it sparingly and only right before you plan to go to bed. That's important because it may start to hit you, causing the "high" and you trick yourself into putting off your sleep until you feel ready. It caused my mother to get ambien amnesia because she would make phone calls and not remember them the next day causing embarrassment. You'll be fine with the combo but I think a lot of times less is better you know. <3

Last edited: