• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Cyproheptadine: An Antihistamine with Some Interesting Properties

Sherminator

Bluelighter
Cyproheptadine (<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyproheptadine>)…I recently became interested in this unusual antihistamine compound when researching possible ways to counteract the sexual side effects of SSRIs (specifically Lexapro). It appears to be a potentially very interesting substance, and the only discussion I could find on it on blue light was a brief BDD thread about its anticholinergic deleriant effects. It appears that this compound can treat SSRI induced sexual disfunction, and also has some other interesting properties

Wikipedia's claim that it can treat SSRI-induced sexual dysfunction is backed up by several papers I found on pub med, a quick search there can bring them up.

Also backed up by academic papers on pub med were the claims that it can be used to treat serotonin syndrome, which might make it an essential harm reduction tool to have on hand for anyone using drugs that could possibly result in SS, much the same way narcan is useful for any opiate user to have around

This made me wonder if Cyproheptadine's 5ht2a/ 5ht2b/ 5ht2c antagonism could make it a useful tool for coming down from serotonergic psychedelics (mushrooms, LSD, 2C-x, for example) or from MDMA. Could this drug possibly be effective at stopping a bad trip. I also wonder if its antagonism at 5ht2c could be the reason for Cyproheptadines's appetite stimulant effects and reduction of vomiting. Speaking of which:

It is also an appetite stimulant and can reduce vomiting, which seems to be an important medical use, as well of use to drug users. Stimulant users could combat the lack of appetite induced by their drug of choice (such as meth or cocaine). Antihistamines in general are known to be good in combination with opioids, they cause sedation, reduce the itching caused by opioids, and in the case of cyproheptadine may be very effective in reducing opiate-related nausea and vomiting. It could also kill the nausea caused by many psychedelics (in my experience 2C-E and 5meo-MiPT were the worst) though it might kill the rest of the trip along with the nausea.

It is also apparently a very good sleep aid. This site: http://www.news-medical.net/health/Insomnia-Treatment.aspx states that, "Cyproheptadine is a useful alternative to benzodiazepine hypnotics in the treatment of insomnia. Cyproheptadine may be superior to benzodiazepines in the treatment of insomnia because cyproheptadine enhances sleep quality and quantity whereas benzodiazepines tend to decrease sleep quality." It also can reduce nightmares, especially in PTSD sufferers, according to wikipedia.

This compound has many other interesting effects, for example, reducing sweating, a possible benefit to drug users who take things like MDMA, amphetamines, or cocaine, that cause excessive sweating.

I was wondering what your thoughts on this drug are, and is it as useful to drug users as it appears from my brief research? I may be asking my psychiatrist to prescribe me this to combat the sexual effects my Lexapro prescription has been giving me, as it has been working great for my depression and anxiety and these are the only side effects I have had from it. It would also be nice to have on hand for drug related benefits, such as combining with opiates or for stimulant comedowns.

Cyproheptadine (<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyproheptadine>)…I recently became interested in this unusual antihistamine compound when researching possible ways to counteract the sexual side effects of SSRIs (specifically Lexapro). It appears to be a potentially very interesting substance, and the only discussion I could find on it on blue light was a brief BDD thread about its anticholinergic deleriant effects. It appears that this compound can treat SSRI induced sexual disfunction, and also has some other interesting properties

Wikipedia's claim that it can treat SSRI-induced sexual dysfunction is backed up by several papers I found on pub med, a quick search there can bring them up.

[...]

I was wondering what your thoughts on this drug are, and is it as useful to drug users as it appears from my brief research? I may be asking my psychiatrist to prescribe me this to combat the sexual effects my Lexapro prescription has been giving me, as it has been working great for my depression and anxiety and these are the only side effects I have had from it. It would also be nice to have on hand for drug related benefits, such as combining with opiates or for stimulant comedowns.

The biggest concern taking a 5-HT antagonist during SSRI treatment is that you would affect the antidepressant effects of the SSRI treatment. A lot of people like to reduce specific effects of SSRI's to individual 5-HT receptors, but in reality we don't really know which receptors are critical for which effects, and it's likely that the balance of activation is critical. There's really no way to predict what effect adding a serotonergic antagonist on top of an SSRI would have on its therapeutic effects.

Take 4-8 mg every night before bed. Best seep aid hands down. It Improves sleep architecture and leaves minimal grogginess in comparison to the other anti-histamines (i.e. doxylamine). It does have negative effects on HGH output in rodent studies, but I think (and many would agree) that this is nil in humans, and moreover, is outweighed by its benefits.

Sounds like Mirtazapine..

Indeed, I was about to say this even before I saw your post... I suspect it's also a bad akathisia/restless leg syndrome inducer, and might not be too pleasant to take something that increases your heart rate more while coming down off a stimulant. (because of antihistamine and alpha antagonist properties).

Edit: Hmm, Wikipedia lists it's alpha-antagonist affinity as likely negligible. Still, being a potent anticholinergic would have similar effects on heart rate, right? I know diphenhydramine can be very bad about inducing akathisia/rls... I wonder if it has any siginificant alpha-antagonist properties.

Last edited:
Mirtazapine.. or Remeron Works like stated but its course is short lived. Meaning that after say from 6 months to 2 years of regular use many find it to no longer work and be rendered useless. I am speaking personally and from research Ive done on it with folks that feel the same as me. I am very interested in learning more about this compound -Cyproheptadine - and look forward to first hand reports Cheers

I was put on mirtazepine once, very, very briefly. Luckily for me, I am careful with new meds, and test how I am going to react first before taking a full dose.

If I'd taken more than the fraction of the very lowest dose of mirtazepine, the akathisia would have led me to off myself. That was an absolutely awful experience.

haha remember my first time mirtazepine, took 45mg was knocked out cold for 2 days, tolerance to the sedative effects occured rapidly tough, after a while no matter what dose it wasnt sedating, seroquel's sedation lasts in comparison. never tried cyproheptadine.

Seroquel and Mirtazapine leads to instant next day anti-depressant effects for me, alone each of these compounds are useless in that sense but even now my tolerance is starting to get high enough that, the two together can't sedate me. Five plus years of daily sedative use is finally catching up, I'm thinking I might have to start the dreaded exercise soon..

I was put on mirtazepine once, very, very briefly. Luckily for me, I am careful with new meds, and test how I am going to react first before taking a full dose.

If I'd taken more than the fraction of the very lowest dose of mirtazepine, the akathisia would have led me to off myself. That was an absolutely awful experience.

I know what you mean. I think the doctors and nurses at the hospital think I'm nuts. I had a severe adverse reaction to an SSRI and have suffered bouts of akathisia for almost 9 years. When you wrote it would have led you to off yourself, you aren't kidding. It is a torture that is sometimes almost impossible to handle.

I'm wondering if Cyproheptadine might help. Of course if I tried it I'd start off by just licking the dust off the tablet.

Cyproheptadine makes me very horny and I have bigger orgasms. I do not take SSRI's but it sure enhances sex!! I take 8mg 3 hours before sex, WOW big difference! I do feel a bit of depression for a few days after, not bad just feel kind of moopy and more hyper but its worth it. I would not take this more than once a week or it can backfire.

As someone who suffers from RLS and mild akathisia, I find cypro improves symptoms. It's also useful for sleep enhancement and comedown after stimulant use, and makes me feel deeply relaxed and peaceful.

However it's effects typically take a long time to kick in (2-4 hours), and last far too long after waking (grogginess) for it to be a reliable sleep aid for me personally.

Its use as an appetite stimulant are well documented, but it has a minimal effect on me.