• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

How do you do your 5-htp post roll?

Innerpeace

Bluelighter
what way do you find works best for you?

do you dose it when starting to come down? many people say its ideal to smoke marijuane on the comedown, dose 5 htp as well at the same time...

or just before you fall alseep that night?

something like
same night 200 mgs
second night 200
third 100
and 100 for the next few days
then 50 mgs for a month or so

I've heard it's not good to mix MDMA and 5-htp, it causes serotonin syndrome. So taking 5htp the same night as rolling isn't so smart. But maybe then next day it's ok but I'm not sure. I don't even fuck with none of that there's so many mixed opinions on 5htp. I feel people only take 5htp to abuse MDMA with minimal side affects but it's all bullshit.

A healthy lifestyle and diet. Waiting 3 to 4 months in between rolls and you won't have to deal with all these controversial remedies.

I just sleep. It's the best thing actually, even though it might take a bit more than usual to fall asleep. Forget "comedown aid" stuff, it's best when you have nothing in your system after a roll.

Personally I think the whole MDMA, 5-HTP and serotonin syndrome thing is a myth. 5-HTP doesn't actually increase the serotonin crossing the blood-brain-barrier and into the synapse and therefore doesn't make you 'feel' more serotonin. If it did maybe i'd understand why everyone goes on about the risk of SS with the two. 5-HTP is quite simply a precursor in the production of serotonin and we produce it naturally from tryptothan found in carbohydrates and is therefore present in the body before we roll. MDMA will deplete the enzyme that breaks down tryptothan into 5-HTP. Since 5-HTP is a precursor to serotonin, the inability to produce it naturally from trypothan causes the hangover as the body is no longer able to naturally produce serotonin and therefore serotonin availability is reduced = increased depression, irritability etc.

Saying that, i'm no expert so i'd avoid taking 5-HTP near or during actual MDMA consumption - just in case. In regards to post-MDMA use, it definitely has its benefits. Since tryptothan is unable to naturally convert into 5-HTP due to MDMA's inhibitory effects on the enzyme that breaks it down, supplementing 5-HTP effectively 'skips' the step in the natural process and the 5-HTP you supplement will be able to convert into serotonin and thereby reduce your hangover. Personally I sometimes take 5-HTP after but I don't get the post-depression so its a bit pointless.

I'm a big believer in the placebo effect as well. 5-HTP often offers me a placebo effect as i'm expecting it to make me feel better, so it does regardless of whether its actually increasing my serotonin.

what way do you find works best for you?

do you dose it when starting to come down? many people say its ideal to smoke marijuane on the comedown, dose 5 htp as well at the same time...

or just before you fall alseep that night?

something like
same night 200 mgs
second night 200
third 100
and 100 for the next few days
then 50 mgs for a month or so

you should probably avoid 5-htp the night of rolling (for fear of serotonin syndrome), and for at least a week before rolling (to prevent receptor down-regulation which means a stronger roll). i personally take 100mg for 2 days after (ex: mdma friday, 5-htp saturday and sunday) and i have no comedown at all. i also take no more than 150mg in one night with no redosing and no more than once per month

while a low dose of mdma and a low dose of 5-htp will not cause serotonin syndrome, especially if the 5-htp is taken after you stop rolling, taking them at the same time may cause excess sweating and fevers. there have been documented deaths from mixing mdma and 5-htp (a few capsules, not just one)

Personally I think the whole MDMA, 5-HTP and serotonin syndrome thing is a myth. 5-HTP doesn't actually increase the serotonin crossing the blood-brain-barrier and into the synapse and therefore doesn't make you 'feel' more serotonin. If it did maybe i'd understand why everyone goes on about the risk of SS with the two. 5-HTP is quite simply a precursor in the production of serotonin and we produce it naturally from tryptothan found in carbohydrates and is therefore present in the body before we roll. MDMA will deplete the enzyme that breaks down tryptothan into 5-HTP. Since 5-HTP is a precursor to serotonin, the inability to produce it naturally from trypothan causes the hangover as the body is no longer able to naturally produce serotonin and therefore serotonin availability is reduced = increased depression, irritability etc.

Saying that, i'm no expert so i'd avoid taking 5-HTP near or during actual MDMA consumption - just in case. In regards to post-MDMA use, it definitely has its benefits. Since tryptothan is unable to naturally convert into 5-HTP due to MDMA's inhibitory effects on the enzyme that breaks it down, supplementing 5-HTP effectively 'skips' the step in the natural process and the 5-HTP you supplement will be able to convert into serotonin and thereby reduce your hangover. Personally I sometimes take 5-HTP after but I don't get the post-depression so its a bit pointless.

I'm a big believer in the placebo effect as well. 5-HTP often offers me a placebo effect as i'm expecting it to make me feel better, so it does regardless of whether its actually increasing my serotonin.

while placebo can be a powerful thing, 5-htp is no placebo and serotonin syndrome from 5-htp and mdma has been documented more than a few times. you are correct in stating that 5-htp doesnt cause more serotonin to "cross into the brain" but where you are confused is that the 5-htp itself crosses into the brain and is then decarboxylated into serotonin. taking too much 5-htp can cause too much serotonin to build up in your brain, since the regulatory step in serotonin production is the hydroxylation of tryptophan, which 5-htp skips. also, tryptophan isnt found in carbohydrates. carbs are complex sugars. tryptophan is found in proteins. not trying to shit on you, just want to prevent the spread of misinformation

yes 5htp or any ssri before a roll makes for a less potent roll. (now some people do an ssri coming up on a roll or 3-6 hours in for neuotoxicity blockage) I have heard of some ravers jacking up there dopamine levels and lowering serotonin levels (by taking l dopa) to get a better roll. They do this 2-4 weeks before a roll and say get better rolls.

to play it safe wait a day then do 5-htp; although I haveread an article, ill link it if I come across it again, saying to take 5-htp that night as it'll help the next day, as it seems common for people to say they feel drained the next day. Of course I think some of that could be from not eating, and after a rool eat alot and often for a few days, more than usual, that increases serotonin and causes feelins of well being, steady blood sugar levels, so I say eating frquently (and healthy) and 5-htp combined can help the comedown to those that seem to be prone to it.
( some people say they dont get it, some people say they do)

I think it is a good idea to dose two times a year maximum so taking 5-htp low dose a month after a roll would not hurt a person if they only roll once every six months , once a year, once every couple years, etc talk about patience lol

I have done 5-htp by itself for a month, 50 mgs dose and although it is subtle I did notice an nice little mood boost effect, the stuff works

Last edited:
you should probably avoid 5-htp the night of rolling (for fear of serotonin syndrome), and for at least a week before rolling (to prevent receptor down-regulation which means a stronger roll). i personally take 100mg for 2 days after (ex: mdma friday, 5-htp saturday and sunday) and i have no comedown at all. i also take no more than 150mg in one night with no redosing and no more than once per month

while a low dose of mdma and a low dose of 5-htp will not cause serotonin syndrome, especially if the 5-htp is taken after you stop rolling, taking them at the same time may cause excess sweating and fevers. there have been documented deaths from mixing mdma and 5-htp (a few capsules, not just one)

while placebo can be a powerful thing, 5-htp is no placebo and serotonin syndrome from 5-htp and mdma has been documented more than a few times. you are correct in stating that 5-htp doesnt cause more serotonin to "cross into the brain" but where you are confused is that the 5-htp itself crosses into the brain and is then decarboxylated into serotonin. taking too much 5-htp can cause too much serotonin to build up in your brain, since the regulatory step in serotonin production is the hydroxylation of tryptophan, which 5-htp skips. also, tryptophan isnt found in carbohydrates. carbs are complex sugars. tryptophan is found in proteins. not trying to shit on you, just want to prevent the spread of misinformation

No worries, I wanted someone to try and point me out if they could. I did not state any of that to be 'fact' merely my theory based on what I know about 5-HTP, MDMA and SS. I understand that 5-HTP is converted into serotonin but there is nothing to suggest that this serotonin is going to be additionally released into the synapse as 5-HTP does not release serotonin or act on the transporters/reuptake inhibitors. Surely the process of serotonin production is a lengthy and complex process or we could restore serotonin quickly and efficiently like dopamine and the '3 month break' wouldn't be necessary. Therefore, simply popping 100mg of 5-HTP when you're rolling isn't going to instantly release a dangerous amount of serotonin into the synapse and cause SS. I just don't get it tbh. Can you link some of the documentations of it occuring?

I've also been told that tryptothan is found in carbohydrates, but tryptothan is a 'protein' found in carbohydrates. That's my knowledge of it.

No worries, I wanted someone to try and point me out if they could. I did not state any of that to be 'fact' merely my theory based on what I know about 5-HTP, MDMA and SS. I understand that 5-HTP is converted into serotonin but there is nothing to suggest that this serotonin is going to be additionally released into the synapse as 5-HTP does not release serotonin or act on the transporters/reuptake inhibitors. Surely the process of serotonin production is a lengthy and complex process or we could restore serotonin quickly and efficiently like dopamine and the '3 month break' wouldn't be necessary. Therefore, simply popping 100mg of 5-HTP when you're rolling isn't going to instantly release a dangerous amount of serotonin into the synapse and cause SS. I just don't get it tbh. Can you link some of the documentations of it occuring?

I've also been told that tryptothan is found in carbohydrates, but tryptothan is a 'protein' found in carbohydrates. That's my knowledge of it.

tryptophan is an amino acid found in protein, however it only works alone , not taking with food because food and other aminos interfare with its absorption. many people take b6 with it and its said to work better with b6. I have taken it before and while some theory says it is better than 5-htp, either one works, I prefer 5-htp.

tryptophan sold in supplement form used to actually be illegal because a big batch was containmated and killed a bunch of people, google it, then it was made legal again

that bs about people feeling tired after thanksgiving because turkey has lots of typtophan is untrue, eating lots of food makes them tired. all meats have it in them. typtophan needs to be taken solo for it to work effectively

Last edited:

you say that 5-htp does not release serotonin or act on the transporters, and you are somewhat correct. from this view point you could look at it as 5-htp is(becomes) serotonin. popping a 5-htp is not an instant serotonin boost, but it does turn into serotonin very quickly. the decarboxylation (5-htp -> serotonin) step happens extremely fast; it is exothermic (energetically favorable) and is aided by an enzyme on top of that. the part that takes time is for your neurons to uptake the 5-htp and package the newly created serotonin into vesicles before it can be released. mdma acts as a serotonin reuptake inhibitor and releaser. once it makes the SERT run backwards, it keeps the serotonin from going back into the neuron. the 5-htp just adds to the amount of serotonin in your synapses. too much mdma and 5-htp at the same time is what causes serotonin syndrome.

heres an anecdotal report from D-F: http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=185572

keep in mind, some people can get away with this, some people will die. everyones brain is different. be safe.

We want to repair serotonin as well as dopamine. 5-HTP can help, but in my opinion it's best to focus on something like DarksidedSam's E-diet and plenty of sleep.

It has been brought to my attention, by several members, that 5-HTP can do damage to the cardiovascular system as our bodies are not used to this passing through the blood stream in such large quantities. If someone can help me with a source or correct me on this, that would be excellent.

tryptophan is an amino acid found in protein, however it only works alone , not taking with food because food and other aminos interfare with its absorption. many people take b6 with it and its said to work better with b6. I have taken it before and while some theory says it is better than 5-htp, either one works, I prefer 5-htp.

tryptophan sold in supplement form used to actually be illegal because a big batch was containmated and killed a bunch of people, google it, then it was made legal again

that bs about people feeling tired after thanksgiving because turkey has lots of typtophan is untrue, eating lots of food makes them tired. all meats have it in them. typtophan needs to be taken solo for it to work effectively

This.

I take 1.5g of L-trytophan alongside melatonin and Buspirone at bedside for stimulant brain repair. Also try researching nootropics.

Last edited:
I'd stay away from the 5-htp preload if I were you, unless of course you don't mind losing the magic permanently.....//:

I'd stay away from the 5-htp preload if I were you, unless of course you don't mind losing the magic permanently.....//:

I wouldn't say that's a possibility unless the individual suffers a medical emergency that impairs him or her from ever being able to take ecstasy again.

It has been recommended by many to preload on nootropics prior to rolling to enhance the experience. What you do during your roll greatly impacts the level of damage you do to yourself.

For example: Letting your body overheat, becoming dehydrated, rolling for long periods of time or mixing other drugs.

You'll do less "recovering" the smarter you play the game.

Yes, but excessive use with combination of 5-htp could possibly cause problems imo..
Shouldn't really need the 5-htp to boost things if you're taking proper breaks and having a healthy lifestyle.

We want to repair serotonin as well as dopamine. 5-HTP can help, but in my opinion it's best to focus on something like DarksidedSam's E-diet and plenty of sleep.

It has been brought to my attention, by several members, that 5-HTP can do damage to the cardiovascular system as our bodies are not used to this passing through the blood stream in such large quantities. If someone can help me with a source or correct me on this, that would be excellent.

yes, sam has a really good regimen for rolling the "healthy" way, if there is such a thing. and 5-htp does have the potential to cause heart damage, as does anything that raises the amount of serotonin in your body. prozac was recently taken off the market in the usa because it caused birth defects in the heart. fenfluramine was pulled decades ago because of excessive 5-ht2b agonism. its the activation of 5-ht2b that you need to worry about, thats what causes the heart problems. in europe, 5-htp is prescribed with carbidopa to try to prevent serotonin from being made outside the brain, whereas in usa 5-htp is over the counter with no carbidopa

Yes, but excessive use with combination of 5-htp could possibly cause problems imo..
Shouldn't really need the 5-htp to boost things if you're taking proper breaks and having a healthy lifestyle.

some people (myself included) just get a bad suicide tuesday, even from my first couple of rolls when my brain was fresh. in this case i take 5-htp for 2 days following the roll, and i still space my rolls by at least one month, usually 6-8 weeks, and i eat healthy and exercise. but i never take 5-htp before i roll or for longer than 2 days after the roll

Logic - while on MDMA, serotonin "Bombardiers" your serotonin receptors, so they downregulate. There is still serotonin in your brain to function normally.

While you take 5-htp. its helps a little but not much.

Logic - while on MDMA, serotonin "Bombardiers" your serotonin receptors, so they downregulate. There is still serotonin in your brain to function normally.

While you take 5-htp. its helps a little but not much.

downregulation is only half of it. mdma also causes your neurons to release the stored serotonin and prevents it from being reabsorbed, leaving it to be destroyed by MAO-A once it leaves the synapse. and i beg to differ on the 5-htp, is helps me immensely

downregulation is only half of it. mdma also causes your neurons to release the stored serotonin and prevents it from being reabsorbed, leaving it to be destroyed by MAO-A once it leaves the synapse. and i beg to differ on the 5-htp, is helps me immensely

Thats correct. But i take it only 2-3 times after roll. To help a little bit recovery.

yes, sam has a really good regimen for rolling the "healthy" way, if there is such a thing. and 5-htp does have the potential to cause heart damage, as does anything that raises the amount of serotonin in your body. prozac was recently taken off the market in the usa because it caused birth defects in the heart.

I see. This may explain why stimulants like methamphetamine, MDPV and MDMA have been said to be more likely to cause cardiac issues than stimulants like base-amphetamine.