• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Any Visible Signs to Determine Meth Purity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael_25

Bluelighter
The other day I bought a point of meth off someone I don't know. He said his shit was "primo" gear so the point costed more than the normal going price. Nevertheless I bought it, then got home and chalked up 3 small lines and snorted them. I DID get high, but not very. This guy scammed me. His gear must have been heavily cut, because, normally, snorting just HALF a point of meth has me revving off my head.

The meth looked like small shards of glass. But I now know that's not a way to determine purity. Are there any visible signs when looking at meth in a baggie to roughly determine how good it is?

Thanks!

It's really hard to determine purity by eyeball alone. Relying on any of the 5 senses is really difficult to do when making an estimation. You'll probably get at least a 3 page paragraph written by someone tweaking about how they know exactly how to determine purity and "they did some shit more pure than anyone else".

As far as I know, the clearness of the crystal can mean a lot. Even the "feeling" of it is still a burden to gauge its power. The body's reaction to it seems to be relatively dependent on the situation.

If you're buying in powder form or smaller little rocks, then it's likely that the dealer mixed it with something. It should be fairly rigid looking as a crystal.

I'd say do a little research about the properties of the chemical: pH level, boiling point, melting point and start from there. I'm sure there are other people on the board with better methods as to determining a cut will contribute.

Last edited:
damn then shit i need to never do meth... if u saw my last post on amphetamines to the other guy.... ranted like fuck im fucking writing song lyrics as i type cuz they flow with how i feel on my addiction to drugs... then again i am a trio fan,.... its on my body lol forever now........ the logo.... so they better not break up.... i really want to try meth the way id do it is snort or eat, i dont need or like smoking uppers crack was fucked up how subtle it was iv is too fast but that was heroin... im a pill guy... id cap it up or put it in water and drink with my new scale lol.....

but seriously.... maybe i need to start this up dex is a waste... i need the dextro methylated shit.... lol id love to get desoxyn my dr wont do it... this has no input to the thread sorry...

obviously tho u cant tell by looking i know that cuz id imagine cocaine and heroin would be similar in how u tell, u do a little thats a way to tell.... orr if it looks and "smellls" bad idk just eyeballing is no way to tell... im not one to say never did meth, but the above two street drugs quite a bit i know my shit with those.... illinois heroin is good u can tell by looking at it.... raw as fuck ppl be ODin out here these past 2yrs im surprised i didnt.... still have to blow a little to find out man.... any non pharm drug unless u made it ... ud still need to try it... so idk... i always go by the matchstick head rule but i double or triple the matchstick head lol im an idiot but fuck me right,,.

It's really hard to determine purity by eyeball alone. Relying on any of the 5 senses is really difficult to do when making an estimation. You'll probably get at least a 3 page paragraph written by someone tweaking about how they know exactly how to determine purity and "they did some shit more pure than anyone else".

As far as I know, the clearness of the crystal can mean a lot. Even the "feeling" of it is still a burden to gauge its power. The body's reaction to it seems to be relatively dependent on the situation.

If you're buying in powder form or smaller little rocks, then it's likely that the dealer mixed it with something. It should be fairly rigid looking as a crystal.

I'd say do a little research about the properties of the chemical: pH level, boiling point, melting point and start from there. I'm sure there are other people on the board with better methods as to determining a cut will contribute.
Yes, the shards were pretty small. Perhaps it was cut with MSN. I don't know. I heard cutting it with MSM still produces that clear, glass-looking methamp look. I tasted a miniscule amount before buying it, and it did have that definite amphet taste. Hence, I bought it (albeit overpriced).

This isn't a great way, but one way to tell the quality of some shit is by looking at the grain of the shards. The grain of quality shit will be straighter as opposed to jagged. I'm not sure, but if memory serves me right, if the taste of the crystals have a "cold taste" and cause a cooling sensation, then it's more than likely MSM. Dope will have a kind of burning sensation, and be really bitter. You obviously know how meth tastes though, as it's impossible to forget lol.

You want shit like this:
NSFW:
BLOGb%20-%20CrystalMeth.jpg

This isn't a great way, but one way to tell the quality of some shit is by looking at the grain of the shards. The grain of quality shit will be straighter as opposed to jagged. I'm not sure, but if memory serves me right, if the taste of the crystals have a "cold taste" and cause a cooling sensation, then it's more than likely MSM. Dope will have a kind of burning sensation, and be really bitter. You obviously know how meth tastes though, as it's impossible to forget lol.
Well the shit I snorted came with a distinctive burning sensation in my nostrils that lasted for a few seconds, and the drip tasted bitter, chemically...

The shards I had were tiny and looked nothing like that photo you have shown. The shards I had were of small, jagged shapes.

the shape of the shard isn't indicative...the straightness of the grain is what you should look at.

edit: Don't laugh at my lack of artistic ability lmao...I've no mouse to work with (laptop).

NSFW:
grain.png

Last edited:
the shape of the shard isn't indicative...the straightness of the grain is what you should look at.

edit: Don't laugh at my lack of artistic ability lmao...I've no mouse to work with (laptop).
I didn't pay that much attention to the straightness in the grain. But, when I think back, it looked more like that second pic you post. No nice shards with straight lines in them. There were clear patches without any lines through them and just a few jagged lines in some of the crystals.

....You'll probably get at least a 3 page paragraph written by someone tweaking about how they know exactly how to determine purity and "they did some shit more pure than anyone else".....As far as I know, the clearness of the crystal can mean a lot. Even the "feeling" of it is still a burden to gauge its power. The body's reaction to it seems to be relatively dependent on the situation.....

Ultimately? GS/MS. :)
Personally a few indications I go on (which serves me well over time but not entirely confident in reliability/accuracy ;) ); shard color/transparency, smell, taste, quality of (color and smell) smoke when burnt, and of course, effect.

I've also found a differing results of situation-dependant (set and setting!).

This isn't a great way, but one way to tell the quality of some shit is by looking at the grain of the shards. The grain of quality shit will be straighter as opposed to jagged....

Hmm interesting, I wasn't aware this was a reliable method*. Ok :)

* not saying it isn't! :)

You want shit like this:
NSFW:
BLOGb%20-%20CrystalMeth.jpg

This is a good post, thanks for that, Big D

You may come across coloured meth (commonly blue or pink) which in my experience had always been raved up to be the best shit out but once I finally tried pink shards I noticed no difference at all. I've been told the top-purity stuff should be clear anyway.

color isn't indicative of anything...

however if you get some rust color shit that looks like those flakes you feed fish...that's red phosphorus...and be ready to have your head spinning...

It should look like glass, even though i've heard of decent powder but if its "primo" it should be meth chrystals which look like shards of glass and are see through. Take a piece of foil and run a line or two down the paper, if it runs smooth and doesnt leave black line where you vaped it then it should be decent shit!

Hell it's hard to determine purity period I go by what it looks and tast like and I only buy from people I know for the fact of I have a trust between one another. And I always smoke a tiny bit to see how the puddle cools what it looks like how long does it take to cool and if u find your self in you position where don't know no one just a spur of the moment quick pick up then u basically go on ur basic knowledge of what it should be and if you get screwed on a sack chop it up to the game and move on mommy always said life is like a bag of dope u never know what ur gonna get

if there are medium-to-large visible shards (i just get mine in a single solid shard), youre meth is fairly high purity (depending on location, its peobably around 75-80%. if you've got shit that looks like really good coke that someone spilled coffee on, youve got some shitty ass meth. Personally, Ive only ever bought from one guy, but I've never had or even seen any meth that isnt high quality ice, and I get my bags with one fat clear shard in it, which is a bitch to break down into powder. If it doesnt look like it could be broken glass at all, dont buy it.

I'm no expert on meth, but I'll just say this.. It's not wise to make any generalization about quality, (about any drug), based solely on psychical characteristics. I run into this a lot with people asking your same question but about heroin. I've had stuff that looks great by typical standards, but was garbage, and I've had dope that looked like it should be shitty but was amazing..

Granted, I mean if it's total shit you can probably tell but.. don't assume 100% of the time that just because the product follows some rule about its psychical appearance, that's its going to be weak or strong.

I'm no expert on meth, but I'll just say this.. It's not wise to make any generalization about quality, (about any drug), based solely on psychical characteristics. I run into this a lot with people asking your same question but about heroin. I've had stuff that looks great by typical standards, but was garbage, and I've had dope that looked like it should be shitty but was amazing..

Granted, I mean if it's total shit you can probably tell but.. don't assume 100% of the time that just because the product follows some rule about its psychical appearance, that's its going to be weak or strong.

well if someone handed me a bag of what looks like really high quality glass, would I buy it, or not buy it because theres no way to prove whether it's good or not? with meth, it's different than heroin, coke, etc. Meth forms solid crystals when it is relatively pure, because impurities make crystals harder to form. While, yes, this crystal could actually be a completely different chemical than meth, but assuming that it is meth, and it's on point, if you're getting large shards, then your ice is some very high quality shit. also clarity of the crystals determine purity but that would be very hard to gauge from that. I've personally never had anything that wasn't large shards, but I've seen pictures of "crank" or "shake n bake" meth, and it looks like diseased cocaine. With meth, the appearance of the substance has everything to do with it's purity/quality/etc., whereas heroin seems to come in weird forms (i've gotten paste, tar, and nasal spray [don't ask]), and the potency is entirely unpredictable. With meth, if it's crystal, it's good, no doubt. If it's chalk, it's usually low-mid quality. If it's that nasty stuff that looks like mold, that's shake n bake, and i recommend you don't partake.

You cant determine the EXACT purity of the ice, though, only if it's good or bad.

Dope will have a kind of burning sensation, and be really bitter. You obviously know how meth tastes though, as it's impossible to forget lol.

that sour-spicy-bitter burn... i almost like it.

Last edited:

While this is true...having straighter lines in the grain as opposed to having an almost non-crystalline structure appearance to it has *IME* been of better quality...the non-crystalline looking shit probably has some synthesis errors thus leading to lower quality product...

Though even going by how it effects you isn't a great indicator of quality ice...sometimes you can get pretty pure stuff, but your mindset/health of the past few days could greatly affect the way it affects you...

Meth is one of those mind drugs that won't hit you a certain way every time...even if it's the same batch...

Yes and no, for HR purposes we're going to lean towards the no side due to the speculative nature of such discussion.

To a more professionally trained eye though, there are some visible signs but ultimately it should come down to GC/MS to determine purity.

Status
Not open for further replies.