• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Methamphetamine and heart rate question

h4wk

Greenlighter
Hi all, first post here, so if I mess up please direct me :)

My friend was smoking a bit of meth, 10 or so small hits over 7 hours or so, and has been wearing a heart rate indicator to track his heart rate.

His question is: Is it normal to see a quick spike in heart rate when transitioning from sitting at a computer, to walking to the fridge to grab something. He's seeing a sitting heart rate of 95-100bpm, and a quick spike up to 135ish when getting up and walking about his flat? Once he goes back to sitting down or lounging, he drops back down to the 95bpm range again. The 90s are a slight bit above his normal sitting/resting rates of 75-80ish, and he is in pretty good health (runner, eats healthy, good BP range etc.). He dosen't appear to be "spun" too bad, no paranoia, palpitations etc, and is just curious if this is fairly normal? [He is also pretty new to the amphetamines game, with this being about the 4-5th time he's tried meth]

Amphetamines are notorious for causing tachycardia. Getting up and moving is also going to raise heart rate. This spike is quite normal. Why is he wearing the monitor to begin with? If he's a cardiac patient, he definitely shouldn't be smoking ice.

Amphetamines are notorious for causing tachycardia. Getting up and moving is also going to raise heart rate. This spike is quite normal. Why is he wearing the monitor to begin with? If he's a cardiac patient, he definitely shouldn't be smoking ice.

Thank you for the reply! He's more of a data nerd and likes to gather/track information such as this to make sure it's within reasonable paramaters. Otherwise in above average health, routinely runs >5 miles a week with sub 8:00 pace times. Healthy diet etc.

Then there's nothing really to worry about. It's not as if he's having constant heart rates of >130, palpitations, and a BP ~160/100. That's when you need to worry. When I was taking phentermine, my heart rate was constantly around 110 and BP was about 140/90. When I stopped I went back to my normal 95-100 and 110/70. That stim is quite a bit more cardio-toxic than a lot of others, though.

Thank you again for the information, he just checked and his BP is 128/80 with HR averaging about 100-110.

Yes, generally heart conditions aren't conducive with stimulants (in general). lol

Amphetamines are notorious for causing tachycardia. Getting up and moving is also going to raise heart rate.....

Too true! :\ Many (most? :)) people experience (have at one time at least) experienced postural or orthostatic hypotension - a sudden reduction in blood pressure upon standing up (from a sitting or laying position) - it's normal. If someone is prone to these normally, the use of a stimulant might exacerbate it.

This is pretty normal from my experience. Stress during use can also make the heart rate spike into fairly unnatural level. 135 is not too bad for movement in my opinion. Keep it below 150. There are people who have done meth and count a resting heart rate of 200+, this is not good.

But in general if you or your friend feels that there is something wrong with your hearts, then it is never bad to contact a physician. The heart is an organ that doesn't like to play games.

Last edited:
I am a full fledged cardiac patient with a rare genetic disorder that causes elongated QT Intervals they degrade longer into full on Vfib then next almost immediately is full cardiac arrest (Death). Palpitations are something everyone has its EXTREMELY rare for a person to have a perfect heart beat. I have an implanted deffibulator with passive pacing. If you are on a halter monitor for any reason. You shouldn't be doing any upper. It's not the speed beat rate. It's arrythmias if your in good health and you spike from sitting to standing your heart is going arrythmic. The hearts amazing usually it compensates even on meth. But the one time it does not compensate is when you get a heart attack or severe arrythmias which degrade further. Uppers leach potassium and magnesium also you stay up don't eat much. Meth leeches potassium so bad in prolonged use a hospital would give you 40mgEQ of potassium (equivalent to 20 99mg potassium vitamins) once potassium gets to low your going to be getting more and more arrythmias. I was EXTREMELY cardiac healthy way beyond what running 10 miles a day would do for you. I had a sudden death just answering the Fed ex man. Was clinically dead on my porch for 7 minutes. (This is when they discovered the genetic disorder) here's the kicker though. You do not need to have the genetic anything. There is acquired long QT certain medications (many of them) and upper street drugs cause over time (as well as methadone and subaxone).

You feel nothing you just die in a split second. It's a fine line when the balance of ions dropping into place along the ion channels in your muscles become unbalanced normal ion channeling in certain areas and to much or less in other areas of the heart causing arrythmias until recovery. No goodbye nothing just dead. If your heart ranges that much from resting to getting up it's arrythmias. Your friend and anyone else needs to stop immediately. Keep vitamin the heart specific trace metals especially potassium. This problem is not just exclusive to the heart muscles. So if you start getting muscle cramps anywhere. That's a big sign right there meth over time will cause an arrythmia issue regardless. Just like no matter your tolerance one hit can kill you especially with Uppers. This is why. Most arrythmias that are deadly won't be detected unless specifically tested for.
Very expensive tests. Die from it the coroner will write up as heart attack even if it wasn't anything close to that in reality. Your death will be a blink of an eye wrote up as a heart attack from excessive meth use. A deadly OD
A finger Pulse Ox can't read an arrythmia if your seeing rises and falls in rate over and over or no read at all. And if it has a pulse strength indicator going up and down but not steady Arrythmias is the reason I am in a study due to the rarity of Genetic Long QT syndrome. A lot of young healthy people are suddenly dying from "heart attacks" at a very increased rate. Drs know it's Long QT like arrythmias however as I said it's not tested for after death. Detection can only be gotten if you have one while on an EKG chances of that are very thin. They caught mine because I died again after 3 shocks while on an EKG in ambulance already in a coma and they saw it. Confirmed month later with testing. The real test before a genetic is giving you a titrated chemical stress test via epinephrine .25mg up to 3mg. This is just like doing meth. Except they are ready for you to crash your in a cardiac OR. And you only get that if your pcp finds a reason to send you to cardiologist and that cardiologist finds reason. These things are elusive very quick killers and age/health has nothing to do with it. It's a purely electrical issue
Do you know any long term functioning meth users? Do your friend a favor make him stop. Or get a Dr to order a 48hr halter monitor. Either way. If it doesn't kill him. He might as well be dead. Recreational use of meth is only applicable to very controlled and high will powered individuals. Which with the self esteem issues and dependency on others that brings and being something that 99% of the world has issue with. Yoy better be that 1% super will powered and controlled people. Who are born/raised or life experience has made that way. Otherwise sooner or later you'll be a meth addict. It's a question of time at that point you may as well be dead.

At the least keep track of your heart rates. Especially the changes by how much and if there's a pattern in it. Resting to movement. Take potassium and magnesium vitamins. But don't overdue either (which is very hard to do if your taking OTC vitamins) as I said u could take 40 99mg potassium gluconate it won't hurt you.

Isn't there a statute of limitations for replying to threads?

Well, yes and no. If someone bumps an old getting high thread with more stuff about getting high, yes I send them on their way.

Other times newbies bump an old thread, not realizing that it's old with a new question. In which case, I will open them up their own thread.

In BDD, we encourage people to begin new threads because we don't have mega-thread topics like Other Drugs.

It really depends on the context and if there is harm reduction value coming from it.

In this case, thank you Bioteknik for sharing your story and valuable information. <3