• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction PAWS Megathread and FAQ

Znegative

Bluelight Crew
Post Acute Withdrawal
Megathread & FAQ

What are PAWS?
PAWS stands for "Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome". PAWS is a serious of impairments that follow the acute phase of withdrawal from different psychoactive substances including opiates, benzodiazepines, ethanol, stimulants, anti-depressants and other drugs. The symptoms of PAWS vary depending on which type of substance was discontinued, and the severity and length of these post acute withdrawals are effected by how much of the substance was used and for how long, as well as certain factors such as the drug's half life.

What is the cause of Post Acute/Protracted Withdrawal Syndrome?
PAWS is a result of the chronic use of psychoactive substances which, over time causes changes in our brains, depleting or stopping the production of our own endogenous neurotransmitter's which directly relate to pleasure, focus and relaxation. Even after the acute withdrawal symptoms end, if the substance abuser has used heavily enough for an extended period of time, he/she will still suffer from a range of symptoms due to the chemical imbalance/deficiency caused by their drug use.
Below is a more detailed explanation for PAWS or 'Protracted Withdrawal'
Chronic substance use causes molecular, cellular, and neurocircuitry changes to the brain that affect emotions and behavior and that persist after acute withdrawal has ended.14, 15, 16, 17 Adaptive changes in the central nervous system may lead to affective changes that persist for many weeks or longer beyond acute withdrawal.18 For example, repeated use of a substance causes the brain
to respond more readily to its effects but less readily to naturally rewarding activities such as listening to music. This state, in which a person’s ability to experience pleasure is decreased, is called anhedonia. Pozzi and colleagues examined anhedonia in individuals who had been abstinent from alcohol, opioids, and/or other drugs for a period and who had no identified CODs.19 Their study examined whether anhedonia may be linked to psychosocial factors in the lives of people recovering from SUDs. They conclude that anhedonia appeared to be a symptom of protracted withdrawal that was unrelated
to other clinical and psychosocial features. Martinotti and colleagues found that signs and symptoms, including anhedonia, lasted the duration of a year-long study of people recovering from alcohol use disorders.
Symptoms of PAWS/Protracted Withdrawal:
  • Psychosocial dysfunction
  • Anhedonia
  • Depression
  • Impaired interpersonal skills
  • Obsessive-compulsive behaviour
  • Feelings of guilt
  • Autonomic disturbances
  • Pessimistic thoughts
  • Impaired concentration
  • Lack of initiative
  • Craving
  • Inability to think clearly
  • Memory problems
  • Emotional overreactions or numbness
  • Sleep disturbances
  • Physical coordination problems
  • Stress sensitivity
  • Increased sensitivity to pain
  • Panic disorder
  • Generalised anxiety disorder
  • Sleep Disorder
This list was taken from Wikipedia.

How long does this $h!T Last??
Unfortunately the duration of PAWS can change drastically depending on the individual. Some variables which can effect the length of protracted withdrawal are:

• The Length of Time a Drug is Used-This is fairly obvious, but the length of you experience Post Acute Withdrawal Symptoms is going to be partly determined on how long you used the substance in question. For example, someone who kicks a three month oxycodone habit is going to recover from PAWS faster than someone who has kicked a three year oxycodone habit.
  • The Half-Life & Ammount of the Substance-The larger dose of a drug that is chronically used is going to cause a build up of the substance in your body, which will make both your acute and post acute withdrawals to last longer. Similarly, a very important factor in regards to the duration of PAWS relates to the half-life of the drug that was used.

As most people are aware, certain drugs are eliminated at slower rates than others. A drugs Half-Liferefers to the rate at which the drug is expelled. (I.E. Buprenorphine has a 36 hour half life, this means that every 36 hours, 1/2 of the drug is excreted from your system. So if you dose 16mg, after 36 hours, you'll have 8mg left, and after 72 hours, 4mg). Generally, the longer the half life, the longer the Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome is going to last, which is why without proper tapers and maintaining healthy habits, the discontinuation of drugs like Methadone, Buprenorphine, Clonazepam, Diazepam, Methamphetamine etc, can be misserable and result in relapse.
Is there anyway to shorten or lessen the intensity of PAWS?
Yes. After getting through acute withdrawals it is important that you begin to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Though it may be difficult, and you may not feel like it, it is very important that you keep your appetite up (eating healthy foods, not fast food of lunchable's pizza<---I know, a real sacrifice). You also should try to be as active as possible. If you have the means to do so, join a gym. If that's not an option, try to find some sort of excersize you can do for around an hour each day. Exercise is crucial as it releases endogenous opiates (endorphins). Another must is sleep-try to get a good 8 hours of rest. This is very hard for some people, and it might not be possible for a while without the aid of medications.​

Medications:

medication1.jpg

There are several medications that can sometimes be used during PAWS.
However, it should be noted that some of these medications can cause withdrawal
syndromes in their own right.

• Acamprosate-(Campral, Rx only) A drug used for the treatment of alchohol dependence. Acamprosate works by agonizing GABA receptors along with reducing Glutimate surges which activate N-Methyl-D-Aspartate receptors (which can cause tremors/seizures and delerium). Acamprosate also helps with withdrawal associated insomnia (source).

• Naltrexone-(Vivitrol, Revia, Depade Rx only)Naltrexone is actually an opiate antagonist closely related to opiate agonist Oxymorphone (though their effects are not at all alike, so don't confuse them!). Naltrexone's basic action is to block opiate receptors. Naltrexone is either given in the form of a shot (Vivitrol) or by taking tablets. It is used for the treatment of Opiate addiction and Alchohol addiction, though its efficacy (specifically with opiate users) is questionable at best. Many drug treatment centers IME try hard to push Vivitrol on patients with the claim that it helps to reduce cravings and PAWS. However, I have yet to read anything that supports either of these claims, I've only heard horror stories of people overdosing after attempting to override the naltrexone (which they were often coerced into taking) with heroin or another opiate. However, in regards to alcoholism, it is thought that naltrexone helps to deter the urge to drink by blocking opiate receptors. NOTE: Taking Naltrexone while on opiate pain medications will precipitate withdrawals.(source)

• Gabapentin/Pregabalin-[Gabapentin-Neurontin Rx only, Pregabalin- Lyrica Schedule V controlled Substance, Rx only) Neither of these drugs are prescribed for PAWS, but people do use them for this purpose as they are very effective anxiolytics and analgesics. Gabapentin and Pregabalin are both GABAergics, however they do not effect GABA-A or GABA-B directly. They work by decreasing neurotransmitter's such as glutimate. Both of these drugs can cause a physical Dependance similar to GHB and Benzodiazepine's if used in frequent and large dosages, making them most suitable for 'as needed' use. Another important note is that both Gabapentin and Pregabalin can produce euphoric effecfts of their own which increases a risk for a psychological addiction as well. On the flip side, the fact that they are not cross tolerant with Benzodiazepines, Alchohol, Z-Drugs, Barbiturates or any other GABAergics that agonize GABA receptors is a plus.

• Baclofen-(Kemstro, Lioresal, Liofen, Gablofen, and Beklo-Rx only) Baclofen is a GABA B agonist indicated for spasticity. However there have been several studies that seem to conclude it is effective for the treatment of alcoholism and cocaine treatment. It should be noted that as a GABA B agonist, Baclofen can cause dependence and withdrawal syndrome, though it curiously is known to not cause an increased build up of tolerance.(Source 1,source 2)

• Disulfiram-(Antabuse, Rx only) Disulfirum is not known to actually help prevent symptoms of PAWS, and is thought by many to be a cruel and antiquated form of treatment. Antabuse basically works by preventing the breakdown of Alchohol which causes intense nausea/vomiting and other unpleasant effects if even a small amount of Alchohol is consumed.(Source)

• Bupropion-(Wellbutrin, Zyban Rx only)Bupropion is one of the more commonly prescribed Antidepressants (in the U.S) and smoking cessation medications prescribed. Unlike most other Antidepressants, Bupropion is not an SSRI. Instead it is a Dopamine-Norepineohrine Reuptake Inhibitor and has shown some promising results in treating those with amphetamine or cocaine addictions.
Things to Avoid:
Recovering from dependency takes time and effort. There are several things you want to avoid during this period. Some may seem insignificant, but the key to getting through PAWS is to practice as much self-care as possible. Things not to do:

• Using your DOC-Im not preaching complete abstinence here, but after withdrawing from a certain type of substance (let's use opiates as an example), it is wise to try s hard as you can to refrain from slipping as it can possibly push back some of progress you have made (though that's not to say that if you use once after four months of abstinence, you will have to start all over). The more 'slips' you have, the longer the PAWS is going to be. It can be very frustrating as the anxiety and depression caused by PAWS is one of the main reasons that people return to using. However, from my personal experience, I can attest to the fact that if you do stick it out, this depression and anxiety will over time begin to fade away.

• Staying up late, Sleeping in late-Most of us know that sleep is difficult, sometimes even impossible during acute withdrawal, and even afterwards getting a solid eight hours of sleep is not really realistic. However, it's very important to try and stay in bed and try to rest. Even if you cannot fall asleep, close your eyes and try two meditate. It is also important that you not sleep in late, as this will further screw with your sleep rhythm. Eventually you will be able to sleep solidly.

• Junk Food-During PAWS it is also important to a avoid junk food and eat a balanced diet. Things to avoid are food high in sugar content, as well as caffeine. When recovering from a prolonged period of chronic drug use, it is important to cut out anything that can induce stress (such as coffee and say, gushers-though god damn I love how they explode in my mouth)

• Sitting on your Ass-You're depressed, tired, restless and anxious-even making a peanut butter sandwich seems unbarable (and that's without the jelly!). However, it is incredibly vital that you try to stay active and participate in drug free activities that you (used to) enjoy. While drawing (I'll use art as an example) might not seem at all like something you want to do when you're going through PAWS, you should get into the habit of forcing yourself to do this (or whatever other hobby you may like) for a designated ammount of time each day. While its not going to bring much joy or inspiration at first, if you stick to it, your brain will slowly start to recover and doing these hobbies will begin to bring you pleasure. Besides, it's important to keep yourself busy. The more time you devote to an activity which requires your concentration, the less time you have to spend thinking about using your drug of choice. So keep busy!!

Related/Helpful Links

This thread is intended to discuss Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS). All threads regarding this subject will be merged.

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent idea and fantastic execution. OD has been needing this for a long time; a large part of HR is helping people get through PAWS so they can get on with their lives and not keep getting dragged back into the same destructive patterns.

Great job on this FAQ! cheers

This is excellent advice on PAWS.

I would advise recovering opiophiles to try diet, excercise, and a stimulating environment. Also read about the Rat Park experiments - they are very enlightening as to *why* some people get PAWS and some do not, and why e.g. better diet, excertcise, and a hobby can help opioid withdrawal more effectively than even the strongest antidepressants.

^ excellent experiment name-dropping, one of my favorites.

The first month after I came off opioids, I ate junk food, laid around and all-around felt like shit. I drank loads of coffee and other caffeinated beverages to try to get more energy but overall, just made me feel worse. When I started to become more active and eat better and got more involved with school and work, I started to feel a lot better very quickly. At the time I really didn't know anything about PAWS and didn't know I was initially doing things I shouldn't have been then started doing things I should have been so clearly I was lucky but far too many people suffer needlessly after kicking when a lot of little changes can make a huge difference.

PAWS is something that I have found to be drastically under-talked about in rehab and recovery programs and a lot of AA meetings even put out free doughnuts and coffee for fucks sake! It's something that all addicts should be aware of so when they decide to quit, especially if they are trying it on their own, they can be prepared for and know how to cope with.

I think this thread can go a long way in spreading information about this.

We will be merging all PAWS threads into here as they come ad nauseum.

one little thing that might help with the search function - in the title change P.A.W.S to PAWS - you don't see many people starting threads with P.A.W.S in the title, rather PAWS or it's sometime spelled out. it's been niggling at me since i've read it:D

otherwise top effort.

this is a very nice thread, full of useful information. I'll use some of it since I've quit suboxone a month or so ago, and have found that the PAWS are actually the worst part of quitting. they just seem to last soooo long. PAWS are the thing that keep me messing around with opiates on a weekly basis, so i'm going to give this advice a good run through.

peace,
Pink~Cloud

I feel like I have PAWS even though I'm on Suboxone maintenance..is that possible? I take ~2 to ~4 MG daily, sublingually. I feel that my PAWS is minor, but I definitely feel that it is there.

Awesome thread, we've needed this here in OD for a while.

So I'm about 90 days off of opiates, had about a 4 1/2 - 5ish year run there between heroin, oxy, and buperenorphine. i spent a solid 2-2 1/2 years on bupe maintenance with some switching back n forth towards the end between the bupe and heroin, got back up to a gram a day a couple times before going to rehab again. So as i said i have to look at a calendar but i think i passed 90 days this week, it's been since 8/28/12. But my PAWS is so severe and physically intense it's killing me.

First off, i take gabapentin, prescribed for my PAWS. It makes life liveable at this point, I've run out early a couple times and it was almost like running out of bupe itself for a few days. Even with the gaba, i get hot flashes all the time, can't sleep, sensitivity to temperature changes, sensitivity to pain, sometimes goosebumps, extreme apathy/depression (netflix sobriety because i cant bring myself to do anything else), anxiety, probably a couple other symptoms I'm not thinking of.

without the gabapentin, I have all these symptoms to an unbearably intensified degree, as well as that intense uncomfortably skin crawling tingly wanna rip your skin off feeling. IT's almost like i took my last bupe 5 days ago not 90 days ago, when i don't take gaba even for one day.

I take 900mgs 4-5 times a day of gaba, other than headaches what other w/d can i expect from that? All this is getting me down and i'm worried I'll relapse full force if something doesn't give. I've tried exercising but it's so hard because even when i have been eating well i still feel so weak and have no energy. I realize coming down off a 5 year hardcore opiate bender isn't fun but shit, im already at 3 months, how many more can i expect this?

I read somewhere that PAWS after bupe maintenance, can last up to 18 months - is this accurate?

I am going through a combination of benzo (12 yrs use) and alcohol (20 yrs use) paws. No fun. Sometimes totally disabled. My dr. wants me to take campral for the alcohol. Any evidence that it could assist with the benzos. I spent a year tapering of the benzos 2 months ago, and have just quit alcohol recently when I found out from Dr. Ashton how disruptive it is in overcoming benzo paws. Any info on what could help me would be greatly appreciated. I cannot work and feel so useless at times. Yes, even making a pb sandwich is a pain.

The one time I got off methadone in the last 14 years I was totally useless until I relapsed on dilaudid after 3 months. What a life.

I quit methadone 10 months ago and have been clean (from opiates) ever since... It was not easy and the entire process of getting through PAWS took about 70 for me... needless to say if anyone has any questions ill be glad to answer them but here are a few tips that were instrumental in helping me through the process...

1. Exercise helped... A lot: I was honestly the last person I ever thought would be into exercise at all but post WD is an ideal time to start... I wasn't sleeping right for 2 months and I had all this extra energy from the up regulated Noradrenaline so I decided to join a gym and actually get in really good shape... It helped in a number of ways in that it was the only thing that would tire me out and allow me to get decent sleep... It allowed me to kill time during boring multiple hour periods that would have had me thinking about using drugs, and it did a good job of helping with the RLS (particularly the fact that the gym I joined had a hot tub)

2. Change Diet: Specific dietary changes made all the difference... for me that was bananas... a lot of people mentioned bananas as a way of helping with RLS.. I thought this was stupid in that how could a fruit fix such a debilitating issue... well I finally started eating them and my RLS went away within 48 hours... good thing too because the RLS nearly did me in...

3. Changing environment: One of the big changes getting off of opiates is that you have to find ways to feel inner calm or even just quietness.. opiates do a great job of blocking out all of the annoyingness of life and without them you have to adjust your environment to compensate... For me this involved telling my GF that we would no longer be sleeping with the TV on (because just the flicker from the TV now irritates me even when my eyes are closed) I have a spare bedroom that I have been fixing up and using as a place to just chill and have quiet when I need it. I work at my office afterhours a lot now because It offers quiet and no distractions since everyone is gone... (before I could be high and literally work with a marching band behind me...)