• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Supplements/minerals/herbs to help during suboxone detox

Herbal~Jah

Ex-Bluelighter
So I have been on sub now for about 2 or 3 years and am now ready to just bite the bullet and jump of the 'sub-train' I am basically down to 0.25-0.5mgs of sub a day for the past year but it still so hard to come off even at such ridiculous low doses, but i gotta do it, i just get so scared of the suboxone withdrawals as I hear they can be pretty shitty and last awhile.. ... I have been building up, what I like to call, my suboxone detox kit.. Does anyone have any suggestions on other supplements or herbs or w/e to help with the detox?

So far my detox kit includes:

L-tyrosine
Super Magnesium GNC (with 3 forms of magnesium: aspartate, lactate and citrate) <--I am assuming that these are better forms of magnesium then Magnesium Oxide which is in 99% of magnesium supplements and I hear its not as good.
L-Theanine 200mg (Suntheanine)
Potassium Gluconate (99mgs)
Fish Oil
5-HTP
DXM robo caps (i hear small doses of DXM can help with w/ds)

For sleep:
Melatonin
Diphenhydramine

Meds for anxiety and insomnia. I've never been addicted to benzos so I think it will be OK to use them when the anxiety and insomnia becomes TOO MUCH)
Clonazepam (2mg)
Alprazolam (0.5mgs)

Any suggestions to what to add to my detox kit please reply! Thanks guys.

You need to add Folic Acid and B Complex and you should be good. You can also taper down to .25-.5 every other day first if you want.

I would add DLPA, L-phenylalanine is a pro drug for L-tyrosine which you already have but the D-form inhibits some enzyme responsible breaking down endorphins, resulting in higher levels of them. Maybe discard the L-tyrosine and add DLPA instead. At least as a potentiator it works.

I empathize with your situation, I'm doing the same thing with methadone, I've tapered down for a long time but am still feeling shitty and just want to get off it completely. My kit looks pretty similar to your's, except I'm thinking of adding lofexedine as well in the drug department. Are you doing this with a doctor's help?

First thing I would think of is to add a B vitamin complex, as crashing said. B vitamins are important for a ton of reasons, one of which is that they (esp B6) help your body to use amino acids and build neurotransmitters (so the tyrosine, theanine and 5-HTP will be more effective with B vitamins).

I would also consider:
valerian root (capsules or tea) - helps with anxiety and insomnia
kava - helps with anxiety, insomnia, muscle pains/tremors/RLS etc
milk thistle - keeps the liver healthy and helps it remove the opioid from your tissues (N-Acetyl Cysteine, and Alpha-Lipoic Acid are good too, you can get a supplement with all 3, such as Opti-Liver)
antioxidants, such as Vit A, C and E - to help remove toxins from the body (and these are important for other reasons as well, plus need for these Vits is increased when taking opioids and especially during WDs and, apparently when taking fish oil)
more amino acids (let me know if you want details on which ones)
an adrenal support complex - helps with fatigue by supporting your adrenal glands
maybe a general mineral supplement (but it's good to take lots of magnesium and potassium so def keep the ones you have)

(Note: For the vitamins and minerals, and perhaps the amino acids, you will likely want to take in a higher dose than suggested on the bottle, as your body will need more of a lot of these than a normal healthy person's. The stuff like melatonin, kava, and valerian I would try as directed though, at least I find the doses on the bottle to work for me. Melatonin can vary from person to person - you don't want to take too much melatonin as it actually can have paradoxical effects, making it harder to sleep and giving crazy intense dreams).

loperamide - an OTC drug in anti-diarrheals like Immodium, can help with diarrhea, and many people find it very helpful for withdrawals in general, but try to use it sparingly because it is technically an opioid itself (although it's not usually very psychoactive on it's own or in normal quantities, since most of it gets immediately ferried out of the brain). I am trying a natural supplement for diarrhea right now, I'll let you know if it helps.

There are a ton of things that are recommended for opioid withdrawal, check out these threads:

Opiate Withdrawal Resources & Helpful Tips - this has a huge list of supplements and their functions
The Opioid Withdrawal Megathread and FAQ
Your Personal Opiate Withdrawal Arsenal

*Note that the last 2 threads look like much of the posts are more focused on drugs than on supplements/vitamins/herbs, but I think they're worth checking out anyway.

Last edited:
I empathize with your situation, I'm doing the same thing with methadone, I've tapered down for a long time but am still feeling shitty and just want to get off it completely. My kit looks pretty similar to your's, except I'm thinking of adding lofexedine as well in the drug department. Are you doing this with a doctor's help?

First thing I would think of is to add a B vitamin complex, as crashing said. B vitamins are important for a ton of reasons, one of which is that they (esp B6) help your body to use amino acids and build neurotransmitters (so the tyrosine, theanine and 5-HTP will be more effective with B vitamins).

I would also consider:
valerian root (capsules or tea) - helps with anxiety and insomnia
kava - helps with anxiety, insomnia, muscle pains/tremors/RLS etc
milk thistle - keeps the liver healthy and helps it remove the opioid from your tissues (N-Acetyl Cysteine, and Alpha-Lipoic Acid are good too, you can get a supplement with all 3, such as Opti-Liver)
antioxidants, such as Vit A, C and E - to help remove toxins from the body (and these are important for other reasons as well, plus need for these Vits is increased when taking opioids and especially during WDs and, apparently when taking fish oil)
more amino acids (let me know if you want details on which ones)
an adrenal support complex - helps with fatigue by supporting your adrenal glands
maybe a general mineral supplement (but it's good to take lots of magnesium and potassium so def keep the ones you have)

(Note: For the vitamins and minerals, and perhaps the amino acids, you will likely want to take in a higher dose than suggested on the bottle, as your body will need more of a lot of these than a normal healthy person's. The stuff like melatonin, kava, and valerian I would try as directed though, at least I find the doses on the bottle to work for me. Melatonin can vary from person to person - you don't want to take too much melatonin as it actually can have paradoxical effects, making it harder to sleep and giving crazy intense dreams).

loperamide - an OTC drug in anti-diarrheals like Immodium, can help with diarrhea, and many people find it very helpful for withdrawals in general, but try to use it sparingly because it is technically an opioid itself (although it's not usually very psychoactive on it's own or in normal quantities, since most of it gets immediately ferried out of the brain). I am trying a natural supplement for diarrhea right now, I'll let you know if it helps.

There are a ton of things that are recommended for opioid withdrawal, check out these threads:

Opiate Withdrawal Resources & Helpful Tips - this has a huge list of supplements and their functions
The Opioid Withdrawal Megathread and FAQ
Your Personal Opiate Withdrawal Arsenal

*Note that the last 2 threads look like much of the posts are more focused on drugs than on supplements/vitamins/herbs, but I think they're worth checking out anyway.

Thanks for the info man. Its just so hard to get off this shit, even though i am barely taking any (~0.5mgs) i still can't seem to kick it. I'll get to about day 5 and just can't take it, its so damn hard. plus i hear sub withdrawals last AT LEAST 1 month, then the PAWS for the next 6 months to a year.... Do you think the benzos (xanax, klonopin, temazepam) will help during the first week or two of the withdrawals?