View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tripping with a Spinal Cord Injury

RhythmSpring

Bluelighter
I don't have one, but I just met someone who does. He's paralyzed from the lower back down and he's in a wheelchair (of course). He told me that people with spinal cord injuries aren't supposed to trip, and that it's risky.

Is this true? And if so, why?

Sounds to me like the old wives tale that LSD will stay in your spinal fluid for the rest of your life. I can't see a reason why they couldn't other than possibly aggrivating the injury, but he's already paralyzed :/

I don't have any experience with LSD/LSA, but I think the risk here is in tripping without a sitter. He could 'forget' about his condition, try to walk/stand up and fall.
Furthermore, when taking substances that cause nausea (mushrooms, for instance) vomiting could be severe issue for him, unless he sets up a room with a basin, towels, water and everything he could need.

I've had a bad trip with DXM (it is up to you to decide whether dissociatives are or not psychedelics), and i spent hours crawling to the bathroom to vomit, then climbing back up on the bed, crawling again to the bathroom... I cannot imagine how that would have ended if I did not have even the little mobility that remained.

I would avoid long-duration psychedelics to start with, if there is nerve damage that causes any sort of pain or strange senasations it is liable to become aggravated for the duration of the trip.

If on the other hand there is no problem with inflammation/pain, there's no reason tripping with a sitter (or on lower, "museum" doses) wouldn't be just as useful as anyone else finds it.