• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Have i got permanent brain damage from MXE? Crazy hangovers..

Acidbob

Greenlighter
Hi everyone,

I have been reading on bluelight for years, and now i think i have got my ass in some serious trouble.
Last friday, a week ago, some of my friends and I was having a small party because some of them were to move out of the house they live in.
We bought about 5g. Of cocaine, wine, vodka and we had some really good food. Later the evening a friend og a friend comes by, he brought some MXE.
I told him that i wanted less than the others, because i have tried it before in a very small dose, so i guess it was 50mg. Everything was fun and great the rest of the night, a friend of mine and my self stayed up, we where not able to sleep. We watched some movies and later in the evening i fell a sleep.

The next day was ok. I was very tired, thinking to my self that this is the effect of doing all these things. But the following days it got worse.
Wednsday night i had a nervous breakdown trying to sleep, my thoughts was overwhelming me and i felt wightless when i tried to lay down, I was freezing very bad.
I called a friend and he had left some seroquel with me, because he use them daily. I took 100mg. And fell asleep while talking to him, he wanted to keep talking and make sure I was ok.

The folling days i have been feeling weird, like beside my self. Not able to think straight, not able to watch TV as it is either to overwhelming or I am not capable following what's happening. I feel like i just want to sleep all the time. Also my vision is very fucked up. like im in a bubble.
My fingers mostly and the rest of my body feels like it's sleeping or doesn't get enough blood.

I feel trapped and scared

Yesterday I called the doctor and told him what happened, and he told me that everything was going to be fine, it will wear off.
He precribed me a pack of Imoclone (benzo) to help me sleep. And i called my manager and told him I was sick from stress at work.
I succeeded in walking nearly 10km to get the medicine, just to get some fresh air.

Today when i woke up i felt a little better, been as with the other days it gets worse around 17:00 -18:00.

It is like I am still in that kind of state from when i did the MXE. Do you guys really think this will wear off?
I am really loosing my mind here. I relly hope this will go away, I don't want to loose my job and my senses!

I will advice anyone doing MXE to be very careful, it's not a warning, just an advice.

Has anyone tried something like this before?
I have read some threads about the same thing happening with ketamine
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/497336-Ketamine-hangover-HELP-ME

Sorry if my spelling is bad, but I don't feel very well.

Thank you in advance! Any advise is like gold to me!

I've been doing considerable amounts of the substance on and off for a year now and I've never experienced any difficulties.

This by no means that you haven't done some damage to your body, but IMO it's very rare that a permament physiological condition will result from drug use unless its something extreme or poisonous to begin with.

Psychological issues are another matter, you've opened the Pandoras Box, as it were. It once took me a year to integrate a 2c-e semi-overdose. I recovered and can take psychedelics again just fine.

Lay off the drugs for a while. Nothing is permanant and your anxiety is probably the main culprit here. Ride it out and resist the urge to use benzos, I speak from experience. That's last resort type stuff.

Feel Better.

Thank you Thou.

Would it be ok for me to take the benzos i have been given, the doctor said i could use them for max. 5 days. There are 10 in the package.
He said that all these symptoms i have could come from not getting proper sleep and i could have temporary toxicated my brain, and i can relate to that..
I wake up every 2 hours. Would it be better if i got 5 days of seroquel from my friend and take those instead.

Actually i have not smoked weed for 3 years now. I did do some MDMA, Ketamine, GHB, LSD, Amfetamine in the past.

Lateley it's just been cocaine for a few weekends. I will asure you that drugs are on hold in my life for quite some time now.
Think i just burned my fingers with this one. I mentioned i did a small amount of MXE before, I got a very little dose and it made me feel uncomfortable, but this time it made me feel great while i was doing it and now I just feel terrible

Last edited:
I agree with Thou - I think a lot of what's troubling you may be psychological in nature.

Either way, you will need to make some changes in order to facilitate your recovery now. Healthy eating is SUPER important. Heaps of water too. If you need any suggestions on diet feel free to PM me and we can go through it. Exercise is also absolutely vital. Seriously, do some form of exercise every day. It will make a difference. Look into meditation and relaxation techniques also, this sort of stuff will really help.

Obviously no drugs...zero. Not even cannabis or alcohol. I'd highly recommend abstaining for a year. What you're going through is very scary, and the absolute last thing you want to do is make it worse or prolong it. You need to focus 100% on giving your body what it needs to recover after years of mistreatment. I'm doing this currently.

If your doctor has prescribed the benzos and you feel as though you really need them - okay, take them. BUT, only when you absolutely HAVE to. Benzos can become a huge problem if abused in any way. If you're using them only to sleep, there are many other things you can try before resorting to benzos such as exercising a lot during the day, melatonin, a hot bath before bed etc. etc.

The most important thing you have to realise is that time will fix this. In time, you'll recover, as long as you don't do anything silly to jeopardise it. Focus on living a healthy, balanced lifestyle and the rest will fall into place. Treat your mind and body well, and you'll get the same in return.

Good luck.

I agree with Thou - I think a lot of what's troubling you may be psychological in nature.

Either way, you will need to make some changes in order to facilitate your recovery now. Healthy eating is SUPER important. Heaps of water too. If you need any suggestions on diet feel free to PM me and we can go through it. Exercise is also absolutely vital. Seriously, do some form of exercise every day. It will make a difference. Look into meditation and relaxation techniques also, this sort of stuff will really help.

Obviously no drugs...zero. Not even cannabis or alcohol. I'd highly recommend abstaining for a year. What you're going through is very scary, and the absolute last thing you want to do is make it worse or prolong it. You need to focus 100% on giving your body what it needs to recover after years of mistreatment. I'm doing this currently.

If your doctor has prescribed the benzos and you feel as though you really need them - okay, take them. BUT, only when you absolutely HAVE to. Benzos can become a huge problem if abused in any way. If you're using them only to sleep, there are many other things you can try before resorting to benzos such as exercising a lot during the day, melatonin, a hot bath before bed etc. etc.

The most important thing you have to realise is that time will fix this. In time, you'll recover, as long as you don't do anything silly to jeopardise it. Focus on living a healthy, balanced lifestyle and the rest will fall into place. Treat your mind and body well, and you'll get the same in return.

Good luck.

I am very happy to get so positive response.
Have been sitting in front of the computer doing a lot of online searching. My idea as to what caused this is cocaine [~1g] + MXE [50-60mg] + alcohol.
As to what i can read it's called serotonin syndrome http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serotonin_syndrome , it describes pretty much how i feel.

So please anyone who wants to do MXE, don't mix it with other stuff, a couple of beers maybe. But that's it!

As i can understand benzo's are a good way to supress the syndrome, so i will keep taking them until they are gone.

Here is what wiki has to say:

The combination of MAOIs and other serotonin agonists or precursors pose a particularly severe risk of a life-threatening serotonin syndrome.[21] Many MAOIs inhibit monoamine oxidase irreversibly, so that the enzyme cannot function until it has been replaced by the body, which can take at least four weeks.[22]

So i guess possiby 4 weeks in this condition.. pheeew that's hard!

I took a hot bath yesterday before going to bed, it helped me to relax and get warm, beacuse i am freezing very much, thanks for the advice
Wednsday i was really sweating and shaking.

Can I ask what this melatonin is? How can it help?

I think the reason why it feels worse in the evening is that my brain is getting tired and it has to work harder as opposed to when the sun is shining and it's easy to see.

I anyone else has good advice I will gladly hear it, anything that can help me.

Would it be ok for me to take the benzos i have been given, the doctor said i could use them for max. 5 days. There are 10 in the package.

absolutely that is what they are made for.

I've never used mxe but started using a lot of ketamine post mdma peaks and then began using it the next day and then all day and so on and it made my anxiety go through the roof, 45-60mins after snorting big lines and coming down my anxiety would be so bad that I felt I had to use more.
Benzos help mate even if they are addictive but your state of mind will return to normal

Glad I am not the only one feeling this way then..
It's like blurry vision, confusion, depression and anxiety all sets in at once.
I will keep you updated about how things goes, but at least now i can sleep with help from the benzos.
And I am able to find the right buttons on the keyboard.

My vision and motor skills are getting better, not much, or maybe im just getting used to it being like this.

Thanks! :)

I know the feeling your having, from all the MXE and other stuff... I think it's mostly psychological. I did have some after effects from MXE but that was after doing A LOT of it.

This might be a dumb question, but would you even know if you had brain damage? The alterations in your behaviour and cognition might not be noticeable to you, but might be to others. You would need a cat scan to verify.

A lot of people attribute changes in psychological states from drug use to brain damage, but most of the time it's just how your neurochemistry has been up or down-regulated to cope with the influx of the chemical you're taking.

Like Thou said, it takes some people longer to integrate the experience and the process can be lengthy and stressful.

After my honeymoon with ecstasy I couldn't even smoke cannibis for 3yrs without the experience being a spiral of anxiety and panic. Now several years later and I can smoke weed with minimal difficulty. If there were severe physical consequences, they would have manifested themselves by now. At this point, the drug is long gone from your system and what you're feeling are residual psychological effects.

Hi Acidbob, first I will tell you that mixing MXE and cocaine is NOT a good idea, for two reasons; cardiovascular and neurological. Both cocaine and MXE raise blood pressure, so when you combine them, your blood pressure is raised that much more. Never a good idea. Second, Cocaine releases dopamine into your brain, and MXE prevents it's reuptake. You end up with way too much dopamine, and this can cause the symptoms you are complaining of.

Now, your symptoms are far too removed in time to be cause by any of those effects, but like others have posted, it sounds psychological. I have yet another theory for you, which is that you are suffering from a crappy lingering cocaine hangover + crappy lingering MXE hangover. Maybe a little low on dopamine, feeling a little out of it, nervous.

I don't think you've permanently harmed yourself from this night of partying, you didn't do that much, but with the wrong combo (like cocaine + mxe), even a little can make for a shitty few days afterwards.

Get exercise and eat well, use the benzos to help you get sleep, I think you'll feel fine soon.

Thanks for your input Mr. Writer

I am starting to feel a little bit better, I was able to sleep a few hours today without the benzos.
I have had some friends come over for the weekend, watching movies, making good food and it was really nice to have some conversation instead of talking to my self (or my brain just babbling) I have been walking about 1 hour every day, eating my vitaming etc..
My shakes are starting to go away, but still have some jerks or twitches and my brain is still really slow, finding it hard to find words and short term memory is bad. Vision is clearing up, but it's soooo slow.

I think you need to lay off hallucinogenic drugs forever.

That's the only surefire way to get ideally better.

Hi Everyone, Sorry for not getting back. Well erverything went fine, it took me about 2 weeks, and I was very scared.

Yesterday I wanted to try a line of Ketamine, And it's all comming back today, huuuge mistake. I am very sure now that I get sick from ketamine/MXE.
And I am sure that there are others out there who is not able to do this drug like me. A year ago things where fine, I could K-hole and be fine the next day.

Sorry to write that I am feeling the same way again, kind of feel that i let all of you great people down by doing it again.
I just thought there was no way that 1 line would make me feel like last time :( But I was wrong. F.....g stupid!!!

Live and learn, right? You got through it once so you will again. Just concentrate on all the right things for your body--healthy diet, exercise and good sleep. And then kill this thread for good!:\<3

You know what? I'd have done it again just to see if it was an odd reaction last time too, I'll try anything at least twice, once to see if I like it, twice just to be sure if I wasn't the first time round. ;) You've let noone down. Does seem like for whatever reason, either in terms of the effects or the chemistry dissociatives / NMDA receptor antagonists don't agree with you anymore. Now you know.

Don't stress about it. Just remember you've been through it once, it will pass soon enough, be sure you're doing the right things in the meantime to help it, and you along.

Thank you both guys, it always help to have someone confirm that it will pass. After getting lots of rest and a long walk I am still feeling a little weird.
I am no longer having the flue like shakes, hot/cold. Just a major headache. Had the most crazy dreams, had to get up and walk around before going back to bed again.

I am very suprised that only 1 line is enough to make me feel this bad. I am not touching that stuff again ever.. lesson learned now.
However I am very interrested in knowing what causes this kind of thing to happen, I mean it's both physical and psycological, it must be some kind of reaction of my brain, but what causes it to make me feel so sick in the body as well.

Hopefully I will be fresh by tomorrow as I am awaiting the delivery of a new drummachine being sent to me from germany, really hope to find the energy to play around with it ;)

I used a hell of a lot of 3-meo-pcp pretty recently (lots of other things in that same binge) and it was about a week before I felt that I had really recovered. I'm fine now, and I'm glad that you made it through the first time. Everything should be okay for you too pretty soon, especially since you only used a small amount this time. I intend to use it again in a few months, but not in excess or very often. May be a bad idea, but I'll have to find that out myself.

Several years ago, I took a massive overdose on a type of alcohol, one that is far more potent and takes around 10 times as long to wear off as ethanol when used at normal levels (may take even longer than that to wear off). I was unconscious for 2.5 days and really intoxicated for a couple of weeks. I never felt sick like I would from drinking a lot of ethanol, but I was sure my brain was permanently damaged. My mind was not entirely back to normal until about a month later.

I also once had two concussions in the same day (both would be classified as grade 3 based on criteria for grading concussions - the highest grade). I do not remember anything that happened most of that day or the previous day. I fell and hit the front of my head, and was unconscious for around half an hour according to my mom. I was verbally unresponsive, only making weird sounds and did not seem to notice or respond much to any other kind of stimuli for quite a while. I tried to get up after some time, and fell again, hitting the back of my head. I was knocked out for about another 15 minutes after that. I remember very little from after that time until some time the next day. I remember and it was confirmed that I opened the ambulance door with my foot and tried to push myself out as it was speeding down the highway. There were cops guarding me at the hospital and I remember trying to get their guns at least 3 or 4 times to shoot myself in the head (apparently I did it more that that). I did not know I was at a hospital as far as I can remember during that time. I had some strange and delusional thoughts at times, but most of the first 20-30 hours, I just don't remember much. I tested positive for drugs (the only things I had at that time was poppies and JWH-018, the latter of which would have worn off before I even got to the hospital - I was not taken until the evening and the first time I fell was early that morning - JWH-018 wears off a lot faster than that). From what I remember, I did not have the visual effects I get from cannabinoids either, but it is possible I had them and could not tell, given my severely altered state. They did not say what I tested positive for, but thought I was out of my head from the drugs and not the hits to my head. I guess I can't be sure, but from what I have read, hits to the head that cause more than brief unconsciousness usually leave you pretty much out of it for a while, sometimes more than a day. It was at least around a year before I really felt normal - at least what was normal for me. I had symptoms consistent with post concussion syndrome. No damage showed up on CT scan (this is normal for a concussion) but I have either an arachnoid cyst or mega cisterna magna that I was born with - only discovered when I was 14 after a suicide attempt. The radiologist who saw this thought it could be some kind of injury from the blows to my head and I was rushed to another hospital for possible brain surgery, which was fortunately not needed.

I would hope you might do some research on a drug called diamox. You may be one of the many people that are very sensitive to the blood pressure rise with the peaking of mxe. I have rad all of your symptoms, and would enjoy if you PM me, so I ma direct you if interested to obtain proper protocol of MRIs to deterine whether you are sensitive to this for the same reason that 3 of us are here.
Do you have fibromylgia symptoms , dizziness, easily nauseated at times, for no reason? clumsiness, wake up confused, take a long time to get awake? clumsinesss, nbruises you can't account for (not while you were trashed and did shit). I am interested to talk to yu PM me and you may email me. Diamox is suggested for many with MXE, as is Co reg, and if you forst did 50mg instead of 25 that's a double dose for someone with certain sensitivities to barametric pressure etc., etc.
It's all to do with the fluid dynamics of the brain and hydraulics of the CSF system. Too much to write.

Best of luck and be careful. I wpon't allow certain persons to touch 25 mgs without diamox,with it and BP cuff on hand with co-reg to counter the BP spike factor.
Benzos can help a lot as well, if just a bad experience. But if you keep and document blood pressure and barametric pressure and deal with brain surgery patients, things become quite obvious and can be much safer and more fun. :)