Rate the song above you: Music that isn't entirely electronic

^ The song is a bit long, and I don't like Dream Theater very much, but I'll give it a shot.

My problem with bands like Dream Theater (ie, Power/Progressive/Symphonic Metal) is that often times I get the feeling that their songs are just extended wank sessions - the real core of the music is obscured by unnecessary musical complexity, extended solos, and lofty philosophical concepts in the lyrics...ironically, this is what draws most fans to this kind of music. I appreciate complexity, virtuosity, and insightful lyrics in music but they need to be connected by some common musical theme - this Dream Theater song is basically a collection of various riffs and time signatures that go all over the place, often times without clear direction. I dunno, it's not a bad song, I just think the style is played out. 5/10

Fair enough. I'm a huge DT fan personally but I see what you mean.

7/10, I like it but there are a few moments that I find a little disconnected from the others and it makes me enjoy it less.
My fav song these days:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCL3G4aRmaQ

I've had Led Zeppelin's discography for years, I'm a huge fan of everything they have put out, even the later stuff. so i give this at least an 8.5/10. I'm glad I got to listen to this song again!

Now for something heavier, Warhorse - Black Acid Prophecy

Yay! Yeah no one ever really talks about In Through the out Door (well to be honest, I listen to their other albums much more too) but I think that song in particular is definitely one of the best they've ever written.

Just wanted to say that, next person can just skip me sorry :p

^^
8.5/10

I do like good doom metal. I don't listen to doom metal very much anymore, but this would be great for those times I am in the mood. Fairly similar to some of My Dying Bride's music. Really like the vocals. Not many bands can pull off death metal vocals that I actually like. The lyrics were really appealing to me as well. The music didn't seem that good for the first minute or two, but it really built up into something great. Even those first two minutes or so did a good job as introduction music. It's the kind of song that needs to start off slow. There is nothing there that I can be critical of, it was just all around a great song, in my opinion.

If you are a fan of doom metal, you've got to check it out.

Here is a song by a great band (imo) that I recently discovered:

NOFX - Best God In Show

Last edited:
great song with meaningful lyrics. he giveth and he taketh away.

7/10

Julian Lennon - Too Late for Goodbyes

6.5/10 good tune, i can relate to some of it, shame about the sound quality of the recording

10/10. Perfect arrangement, great instrumental skills, and lyrics that really paint a picture.

Brightblack Morning Light - Everybody Daylight

2/10 really didn't like the vocals and the music was repetitive... as long as we're on the daylight theme here goes...

Since we're on a back and forth for a moment:

6.5/10... really good lyrics and nice harmonic structure but the vocal tone in the verses kind of kills it for me.

Essex Green - Rue de Lis

9/10 i love that kind of music, especially from the bridge to the end.

That reminds me of this song:

Blockhead - The Music Scene

dude rad track and video !!!!! love this kind of muic, remind me alot of lemon jelly. art too.
9/10

very cool 3rd wave influenced ska. I dug the guitar strumming 8/10

Arriba Pichataro (Banda El Recodo)

5/10, im not a big ska fan in general, it doesn't really piss me off or anything though. They appear to have some musical skill

Amenra Aorte Ritual

Last edited: