Rate the song above you: Music that isn't entirely electronic

6/10 it's ok, i enjoyed it, probably not something I'd listen to again tho

8 string guitar wizardry.

5/10... it was ok, just not something I'd be into.

[video=vimeo;34589418]http://vimeo.com/34589418[/video]

At first I thought the song sounded like something by American Analog Set, and then after a quick Google search, I found out that it's a side project of Andrew Kenney. The song, like most AAS songs, has a funky beat set to mellow guitar lines with limited vocals - which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing if that wasn't the formula Andrew Kenney has used for pretty much every song he's ever written (with a few exceptions). My problem with his songwriting is that his songs are so static in that they don't really evolve from one musical idea to the next - he picks a beat or key or atmospheric melody and repeats it for a few minutes until the song is over. I can't say that I don't like this particular song (because the beat/melody are pretty catchy) but I don't have much respect for it - it's too safe...very much in Mr. Kenney's typical comfort zone.

6/10

The lyrics are pretty important for maximum enjoyment of this song, so here they are:

NSFW:
I stepped out onto the midway. I was looking for the pirate
ship and saw this small, old tent at one end. It was blue,
and had white lights hanging all around it. I decided to check
out the tent, it seemed I could hear music coming from inside.
As I walked toward it, I passed a crowd of people at the sideshow.
I couldn't figure out why they would want to wait in line. I
pulled back the drape thing on the tent. There was a crystal
ball at the table, and behind it, a girl wearing a hat. She
smiled, and asked me if I wanted my fortune read. I said okay,
and sat down. I thought about it for a minute, and asked her
if she would rather go on the roller coaster instead.

Creeping up into the sky. Stopping, at the top and,
starting down. The girl grabbed my hand, I clutched it
tight. I said good-bye to the ground.

Far below, a soiled man. A bucket of torn tickets at his side.
He watches as the children run by. And picks his teeth. Spinning
'Round, my head begins to turn. I shouted, and searched the sky
for a friend. I heard the fortune teller, screaming back at me.
We stuck out our hands, and met the winds.

The girl falters as she steps down from the platform. She
clutches her stomach, and begins to heave. The ticket-taker
smiles, and the last car is ready. Who told you that you
could leave?

The sun was setting by the time we left. We walked across
the deserted lot, alone. We were tired, but we managed to smile.
At the gate I said goodnight to the fortune teller. The
carnival sign threw colored shadows on her face, but I could
tell she was blushing.

I completely agree with what you're saying, and luckily enough for me I'm not familiar with any other works of that guy, therefore I reap the rewards of enjoying the simplicity in a single song.

I love the influence Slint had, and I can appreciate the originators, but I'm just not feeling it.
Maybe it's the mood I'm in, or maybe I just have trouble appreciating their music. I'll give it a 7/10

I love the vocals on this

I completely agree with what you're saying, and luckily enough for me I'm not familiar with any other works of that guy, therefore I reap the rewards of enjoying the simplicity in a single song.

That's fair. If I wasn't as familiar with Kenney's other songs I would've probably rated it higher. I guess my comments sounded a bit harsh, because I genuinely like the sound he's trying to achieve, and I sense real promise in him, but I think he needs to diversify his songwriting a bit - it's frustrating when an artist doesn't quite live up to your expectations, ya know?

I love the influence Slint had, and I can appreciate the originators, but I'm just not feeling it.
Maybe it's the mood I'm in, or maybe I just have trouble appreciating their music. I'll give it a 7/10

Slint had a pretty undeniable influence on the post-rock genre, but I can see how their music might be intimidating for someone not prepared for their particular style. To me, the hardest part was overcoming the spoken lyrics - the instrumentation is so clever and dynamic that the vocals seem...I dunno...'lazy' by comparison. But the more I listened to Spiderland the more I got the feel for the rhythm in the lyrics. It's like Hip Hop almost, but with beat poetry. I sense that you're kind of on the fence with these guys, which is understandable, but I think if you invest some time listening to Spiderland (preferably with your Drug of Choice) you'll find a lifelong favorite. It took me more than a couple listens to really appreciate what the album had to offer.

As for the song you posted: I dig it. It's got a Glam-meets-Stoner vibe to it that I find kinda interesting. Very 90s sounding, but I can't find any decent info on the band so I assume that they are relatively new. There's some cool stuff happening in the song - enough to make me want to listen to some others by the band. 7.25/10

I just posted this song in the "Greatest Music Videos" thread, but I'll post it here too because idontgiveafuck:

8/10 love primus

Wow DWE, I was a bit apprehensive to give this one a go - given your apparent affection for Sublime, and the fact I could almost certainly conclude from the name it was a ska/reggae tune - but this was pleasantly infectious. It had a tinge of Sandanista by The Clash, stylistically and lyrically, which is usually an asset in my judgment as they're my favorite band of all time. A solid 7/10 - would bang, and will be often in the future (which is unwritten) %)

If you couldn't grok the foreshadowing above, here is the only logical next move - you can thank me later:

"Complete Control", by The Clash, and produced by the Lee "Scratch" Perry, aka Jesus Christ.

ya bedouin are a really unique band, be sure to check out more stuff from the album...never really took the time to listen to the clash. but i enjoy this tune.

7/10

For some reason, 90% of the UK bands who manage to make a name in the States bore the crap out of me. But man, I really like Alt-J. Their songs are fresh, eclectic, and clever and I have yet to hear one that I don't like. I really hope these guys set the bar of quality for years to come.

I can dig reggae and reggae influence, but this seemed quite lacking and almost as if it's a cover song as opposed to an original.
It just seems quite boring and uninteresting. 3/10

not bad,would of been better if the quality was on par.

5/10

favorite album of 2012

The Evens are a minimalist rock duo consisting of Washington D.C's punk rock veterans Ian MacKaye (Minor Threat, Fugazi) on Baritone guitar and Amy Farina (The Warmers) on drums.
This is from their 3rd album "The Odds", released in 2012.

Do you mean the mix and sound quality? It sounds pretty clear to me.

I can dig it. It's quite nice, actually.
8/10

i liked it man good stuff,ill add to my spotify, fuck i love spotify,all the music you cant for 10bucks a month.....

Digging the old school punk vibes condensed in 92 seconds of madness.