• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Cards Poker (Texas Hold'em)

alasdairm said:
^ well, as with all things, your mileage varies.

very occasionally i'll find a play-money table or tourney where 90% of the players are trying to play 'properly' but there's always one idiot who just goes all-in every hand. while this strategy rarely pays off in the long-term, it just creates a huge amount of annoyance in the short.

alasdair

I've won a few games that way. I fucking hate it when every1 plays tight. Last time I got 20 dollars from pokerroom.com for free and then turned it into 120 dollars in an hour playing .25 cent no limit cash game. Then changed tables and lost it all in 5 minutes in a 1 dollar no limit.

But that ain't shit. My friend has won over 60k on pokerroom.com, fucking won 60k during his senior year in high school, brought in wadds of 100 dollar bills to school, lol. Now he owes me 1500 cause he lost it all and then borrowed money from me.

Another thing play at your bank roll, don't be stupid. The game of NL hold em has huge swings you want to have at least 15-20 times the maximum buy in at the level of table you are playing at otherwise things might not turn out too well for you.

Kilgore youl ove when people play tight? Hop on to paradisepoker.com and lets get on a game. You have to be tight to win in poker unless you can outplay people after the flop and I garuntee you are not that good.

And the guy that you quoted is talking about play money tables, do that at a real table you will get eaten alive.

thizzSantaCruz: Thanks for the advice. And trust me, I'm currently experiencing the negative bankroll ;)

Could you recomend any good books or sites that offer specific strategies, analyze different hands etc.?

Last edited:
Kilgore said:
I fucking hate it when every1 plays tight.
that's a telling comment- your approach is probably not flexible enough in that case.

obviously these comments are simplified for clarity but, without a doubt, beaing able to change your strategy based on prevailing conditions (e.g. a table at which everybody is "playing tight") is one of the first steps to becoming a good player from simply a functional player.

alasdair

alasdairm said:
that's a telling comment- your approach is probably not flexible enough in that case.

obviously these comments are simplified for clarity but, without a doubt, beaing able to change your strategy based on prevailing conditions (e.g. a table at which everybody is "playing tight") is one of the first steps to becoming a good player from simply a functional player.

alasdair

Not in .25 games. Those people seem way too protective over their money in such a low limit game. You can easily clean up on those tables with as little as 15 dollars. Play for an hour and you can make at least 100 dollars. At least that's what happens to everyone I know that plays but then as they move up to higher stakes that strategy sometimes fails.

thizzSantaCruz said:
And the guy that you quoted is talking about play money tables, do that at a real table you will get eaten alive.

Which guy? the one that started this thread or the one I talked about? As for guy I talked about... he didn't win 60k in play money. He won 60k in a real money table and with extremely high stakes. He then cashed out over 40 thousand and had his mom invest it in her investment firm that has huge profits, handling millions of dollars from a single investor. However, then he had to withdraw a lot of it because he lost his roll online. Dude could have been chilling throughout his whole time at college with his tuition paid by a college fund and scholarhips but ended up losing it all the doe.

Last edited:
question: why is it that "everyone i know" "always makes money" playing online poker?

:)

michael said:
question: why is it that "everyone i know" "always makes money" playing online poker?

:)

"Everyone I know" is the group of people that I play with all the time. We've all played poker on line and in real life so I pretty much know how they play and win.

Kilgore said:
Not in .25 games. Those people seem way too protective over their money in such a low limit game.
again, the fact that you talk in such general terms suggests to me you're simply not seeing the whole picture.
Kilgore said:
Which guy?
"the guy you quoted" - big clue there. reading helps. :)

alasdair

If you're a beginner, I would err on the side of playing tight. Sure, you're not gonna play a lot of hands, but you're not gonna lose as much either. However, you have to prevent yourself from becoming too easily readable if you're going to play tight. This is where positional play comes in. What BA said is pretty much good advice, but you can do well with a less aggressive version of the strategy. If people aren't raising pre-flop, then stay in the hand to see the cards. If you're dealing or to the right of the dealer, you may even want to consider seeing a raise if it's not too high. I'm also a big fan of playing at least to the flop on suited connectors, because they give you two ways to make a big hand off of mediocre cards.

I play real money on Bodog, and used to on PS until i had a HORRIBLE nite and slew all my roll on a 100$ buy in 1 table sit and go, and it wouldnt let me re-buy. I had used my girls account to transfer the money into it, so i dont know what is up with it. Bodog is VERY nice, but you have more college kids with disposable income. Point being, you MUST play slow at first at a sit down cash table, to get to konw the few that are playing. You will find a LOT of kids sitting with 10$ and playing every hand and raising before flop jus tot get t he pot above 2$ just for the 'action'. I loike the players at PokerStars better, and their sitNgo tournys.
It is quite easy to suplement your income with online poker if you take the time to know/learn who you're playing against, and play tight... I know some fools dont like the a-k-q-j//10 or suited 9+ or dubs on the flop players, but i sit and play for about 4-6hrs, and it all works out if you have the patients..
good luck

Just sat down tonite with some people in the area for a full table 10 dollar tourney. Chump change but I was thinking I would definantly finish in the money because my friend told me these players were not good.

Right from the beggining I thought I was set. Players limping all the time, betting weak, basically a bunch of fish.

Bad beat number 1. I limp with A 2 off and flop a 2 pair but with 2 diamonds on the table. I bet slightly over the pot and get one caller. Turn comes a blank, and I know this kid is on a draw so I fire again about 2/3 the pot. The donkey calls me and hits his flush. I'm not too worried, fucked off a lot of chips but its early.

Bad beat number 2. Same jackass gets involved in a pot with me and I have 2 pair aces over kings. I bet decent amounts because I am worried about trips with 2 kings on the table. I get a good read that he doesnt have anything and push in big after the turn. The bastard calls with only 8 possible outs in the deck for him and hits his straight. Now I am pretty much livid.

Bad beat number 3. Jackass number 2 who has came up on some lucky hands and is trying to push the table around raises big. I have top pair 7 kick and am thinking I probably have him because he calls every bet. I am all ready pot commited and push all in. He decides to call with a pair of tens. He can hit a ten on the turn or river or runner runner to win it. I announce to the table I will probalby lose just because of my shit luck. Turn comes out a ten and I go home early.

Fucking bastards. Time for me to hit up the online tables.

Last edited:
alasdairm said:
^ well, as with all things, your mileage varies.

very occasionally i'll find a play-money table or tourney where 90% of the players are trying to play 'properly' but there's always one idiot who just goes all-in every hand. while this strategy rarely pays off in the long-term, it just creates a huge amount of annoyance in the short.

alasdair

Yeah, when I play play-money tourneys, you can guarantee that someone will go all-in on the first hand, and a couple of people will call them.

I usually win the play money one table tournaments I play, now. 2-3 players self-destruct on the first hand, and the others over-play bad hands and I can always pick them off.

Just started playing for money (pokerroom, following BA's recommendation - Absolute Poker couldn't recognise my NZ ph number, and I couldn't work out what format they wanted the number in, so fuck 'em, someone else can have my money).

Going off of thizzSantaCruz's Bad Beat #1 story: If I connect on a flop with middle or high pair, and there are 2 of the same suit on the board, I do not want someone chasing a flush for cheap so I usually bet ridiculously large to get everyone to fold. So many times I've flopped a set and fucked around trying to drain the most amount of money from people and got burned by a flush because I didn't play it right.

i agree.

i hear a lot of 'bad beat' stories which are actually 'bad play' lessons :)

alasdair

Yea you just have to take pot odds into account. If the player is good he will not chase if the pot odds aren't in his favor. After the turn came up a blank I should have realized the only bet that would get the donkey I was playing against would probably have been an all in. Oh well I will just have to get em next time.

In my opinion in that situation betting too big ie. around 1-2x the pot gives the opponenet a damn good tell of what you are sitting on and then he can pressure you if the right cards come out. Usually throwing a 3/4 the pot bet will push them off depending on how many people are in the pot. I knew I was going to hit some bad beats playing against people like I was I just did not expect it to be that bad.

another thing is that some hands you are never going to win, for whatever reason.

if you find yourself telling a lot of bad beat stories about people fishing for cards, perhaps you're consistently choosing the wrong room/crowd/game...

alasdair

Yea, yesterday was just horrible. The bad beats come with the game its just part of it. You have to learn how to handle them without letting it affect your game. That is a main reason I left party poker was because of emotional scars some of the bad beats left on me. When you play as much as I do they are impossible to avoid, they will happen.

What site do you play on alasdairm? You should check out paradise in my opinion its the best. They have great tournaments and a big player base. Also its the only site to have their shuffling independantly reviewed by a big corporation.

another bad beat

Paradise Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

CO ($68.55)
Button ($146.50)
SB ($37.00)
BB ($50.00)
UTG ($161.50)
UTG+1 ($287.40)
UTG+2 ($94.95)
MP1 ($100.00)
thizzSantaCruz ($140.65)
MP3 ($97.05)

Preflop: thizzSantaCruz is MP2 with 3
diamond.gif
, 4
diamond.gif
. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls $1, UTG+1 calls $1, UTG+2 calls $1, MP1 calls $1, thizzSantaCruz raises to $3.5, MP3 calls $3.50, 2 folds, SB (poster) calls $3, BB calls $2.50, UTG calls $2.50, UTG+1 calls $2.50, UTG+2 calls $2.50, MP1 calls $2.50.

Flop: ($28) Q
diamond.gif
, 8
diamond.gif
, 5
diamond.gif
(8 players)
SB folds, BB bets $6, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $6, UTG+2 folds, MP1 raises to $20, thizzSantaCruz calls $20, MP3 folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls $14.

Turn: ($94) 9
heart.gif
(3 players)
UTG+1 checks, MP1 bets $76.5, thizzSantaCruz calls $76.50, UTG+1 folds.

River: ($247) Q
spade.gif
(2 players)

Final Pot: $247

The fucker has Q 8 and hit his 4 outer on the river to make a boat full of queens and takes the huge pot. What can I say the last couple of days have turned ugly.

Hand converter worked perfectly except before the flop the pot was 28 bucks not 2. Don't know why the fuck they have a smiley there, in the text it says 28...weird.

Question:

I have J-7 suited. I check. Flop comes 4-6-J (or similar, unsuited). I've got top pair, so I bet. A few fold, a few call. K comes down. What do I do? Bet, and try to bluff? Or just check and call any bet, hope no-one has a K?

(As it happened, I stayed in, the river was J so I had trips, check raised and won it).

And while I was typing this I folded two hands that would have won :( (10-5, flop was JQK and then an A came, JJ won it).

Last edited: