• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Why does promethazine potentiate opiates if...

JackiesBabyy

Bluelighter
promethazine blocks d2 receptors? According to wikipedia it does, and since opiate euphoria comes from dopamine, shouldn't that make it less euphoric?

Jackie I think its good that you're asking so many questions

As makes sense, there are multiple sub-types of dopamine receptors, not just D2. If I am right then D2 is supposed to be more stimulating (a typical anti-psychotic site), not as opiates. Furthermore, no functional person would have all of their D2 blocked - a drug only works on a portion of the nueron(s) it can affect. And finally, going along with this, promethazine and opiates work in different brain regions.

Euphoria is never just "from dopamine". There are many dopaminergic drugs which don't produce euphoria in much of the population.

Perhaps some opiate euphoria is negated by promethazine.

The potentiation mechanism wouldn't be by D2

Jackie I think its good that you're asking so many questions

As makes sense, there are multiple sub-types of dopamine receptors, not just D2. If I am right then D2 is supposed to be more stimulating (a typical anti-psychotic site), not as opiates. Furthermore, no functional person would have all of their D2 blocked - a drug only works on a portion of the nueron(s) it can affect. And finally, going along with this, promethazine and opiates work in different brain regions.

Euphoria is never just "from dopamine". There are many dopaminergic drugs which don't produce euphoria in much of the population.

Perhaps some opiate euphoria is negated by promethazine.

The potentiation mechanism wouldn't be by D2

Yeah, but doesn't pretty much every drug that causes euphoria/mood lifts affect dopamine in some way? (be it directly like amphetamines or indirectly like opiates/cannabinoids)

Tricomb, where are you!?;)
Don't know much about this type of thing, or if this makes any difference ...
but I think opiates/opioids are mu receptor agonists . Don't know about promethazine?

it doesn't add to the euphoric nature of the opiate. in fact, it's put into codeine cough syrup to deter abuse as it prevents the liver from preventing codeine to morphine.

the extra "eurphoria" is usually attributed to the sedative nature of promethazine. if you take promethazine on its own its not euphoric at all.
it also selectively blocks some production of dopamine too - it is a very very weak anti-psychotic.

opiate euphoria is not only attributed to the production of dopamine. opiates do increase dopamine levels, but the drugs also attach to specific opiate receptors in the brain causing endorphins to be produced - giving that nice feeling. they also then begin to regulate acetylcholine, norepinephrine, serotonin and of course dopamine at higher than usual levels.

Last edited by a moderator:
it doesn't add to the euphoric nature of the opiate. in fact, it's put into codeine cough syrup to deter abuse as it prevents the liver from preventing codeine to morphine.
How do you know this?

I read the exact opposite. I read else where that Promethazine is actually a true potentiator for Codeine...it helps the liver convert more Codeine into Morphine...

This is a bit off topic but still on... I have been taking norcos, about 3 or 4 at a time and I've noticed my sleep doesn't seem to be the same. I can easily fall asleep but i feel like i'm not cycling through all the stages like i normally would. I've noticed that drinking a few ounces or promenthazine with codeine about 2 hours before i go to sleep help with the problem. Is it just the difference in chemicals or possibly just the fact that the promenthazine makes me more tired? Does anyone have experience in this area? Recreationally, i don't notice much of an effect as far as euphoria goes after drinking the syrup but it could be that im not doing high enough dose or that my opiate tolerance is up.

This is a bit off topic but still on... I have been taking norcos, about 3 or 4 at a time and I've noticed my sleep doesn't seem to be the same. I can easily fall asleep but i feel like i'm not cycling through all the stages like i normally would. I've noticed that drinking a few ounces or promenthazine with codeine about 2 hours before i go to sleep help with the problem. Is it just the difference in chemicals or possibly just the fact that the promenthazine makes me more tired? Does anyone have experience in this area? Recreationally, i don't notice much of an effect as far as euphoria goes after drinking the syrup but it could be that im not doing high enough dose or that my opiate tolerance is up.
Don't know if this helps at all, and it certainly doesn't answer the technical questions you have... But I have found higher doses of promethazine with codeine make me paranoid, depressed, anxious all at the same time. I get a general feeling of impending doom while at the same time exhausted???

You know what, I don't necessarily get that from prometh and codeine alone but I feel that when I smoke cannabis and mix hydrocodone. Total paranoia but I'm assuming it's mostly the weed

Yeah, but doesn't pretty much every drug that causes euphoria/mood lifts affect dopamine in some way? (be it directly like amphetamines or indirectly like opiates/cannabinoids)

you are right there

not necessarily d2, and not every d2 receptor even so

You know what, I don't necessarily get that from prometh and codeine alone but I feel that when I smoke cannabis and mix hydrocodone. Total paranoia but I'm assuming it's mostly the weed

Left out a pertinent bit of info regarding the way prometh and codeine made me feel ...it was always taken to try and stave off withdrawals. So now that I've realized this, I'm sure the withdrawals had something to do with the way the combination hit me...sorry!

Ive taken opiates (mostly morphine, hydromorphone and sometimes oxycodone and codeine) while on seroquel, olanzapine, risperidone, chlorpromazine (Thorazine, Largactil) and methotrimeprazine i never had a problem getting euphoria from opiates. Chlorpromazine and methotrimeprazine both belong to the phenothiazine class of anti-psychotics and promethazine is also a phenothiazine though it is much much weaker at causing D2 antagonism then Thorazine and is not used as a anti-psychotic because of this. Thorazine increases the effects of morphine by quite abit though i woujld not redcomend this combo due to the serious side effects that the drug can cause. Methotrimeprazine is so drowsey it makes seroquel look like a stimulant but in doses of 5-15mg's it's not too bad i guess.