• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Provigil vs. Modalert CEPHALON FORMULATION SECRET UNLOCKED?

polarbearsarecool

Bluelighter
Greetings all, as many of you have heard of the wonder drug modafinil, there is of course differences in the effect on various people and many have noted a difference in the two common brands, Provigil(Cephalon) and Modalert(sun pharma india).

Many references have been made to Cephalon formulating modafinil with some kind of time released system, which the modalert generic tries to mimic, however this is not the case- to quote a similar thread.

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/396748-That-Wacky-Modafinil

read down to

"Unfortunately, modafinil may be one of the only true examples of a generic being vastly inferior to the brand-name formulation. The interesting thing about modafinil is that it is absolutely insoluble in water and is not very well absorbed by the body unless the pill is formulated in a particular way. The company that designed it, Cephalon has a bunch of obscure patents discussing the "particle size" of recrystalized modafinil in Provigil tablets--apparently the compound is only particularly well-absorbed by the gut if the tablets are made in the special "trade secret" way alluded to in the patent. That's my explanation of why generic modafinil sucks ass. I've tried a whole bunch of it--the real brand is insanely pricey (as a psychiatrist once told me: the only major side effect of modafinil is the large hole it leaves in the wallet)--and it never worked as well the brand. Perhaps try to really crush the shit out of generic modalert tabs in a mortar/pestle and put the powder into regular gelcaps?"

The reasoning? After recieving my HPBCD sample in the mail I realized Cephalon must have been compounding modafinil with HPBCD the whole time- thus the obscure patents- thus the secrecy- thus the lack of effects.

Prove it?

books.google.de/patents/US20020160982.pdf

the cephalon patent itself, made in 2001, modafinil became generic officially in 2002 when the rights were bought, AND THEY USE HPBCD

Is it that simple? I am going to work out the solubility factors of modafinil with HPBCD and run a trial tomorrow- if anyone could possibly shown some more spot on math that could be helpful, the patent lists a few reccomendations saying that Moda's typical solubility is .44mg/ml and a 2% HPBCD solution will solubilize 4.4mg/ml of modafinil , 20% will solubilize 39.5mg/ml and
40% will solub 78.4mg/ml......

Going to dissolve 400mg of moda-(including binders, the modalert tabs are 320mg for a "200mg modafinil") in ~ 6-8ml of HPBCD 40% DI water and let it stir overnight on a plate.

Obviously a crude method but if I could have some guidance it would be helpful.

Thanks ADD :D

PROVIGIL tablets contain 100 mg or 200 mg of modafinil and the following inactive ingredients: lactose monohydrate, microcrystalline cellulose, pregelatinized starch, croscarmellose sodium, povidone, and magnesium stearate.

No HPBCD in Provigil tabs - and that makes sense because HPBCD is only really used to enhance sublingual/buccal/nasal drug delivery. Not oral.

I think it's all placebo, modafinil is modafinil any way you take it. Either that or the Indian pharma tabs are just more predisposed to being fake. This is not the first drug I have heard people spreading unsubstantiated rumours about the Indian generics being utter shit. I think more rigorous testing of the tablest are in order before you totally discount one brand as "not working".

But it will still be interesting to hear your results - maybe the povidone or something works in the same manner.

Last edited:
I mean, we all know how tricky pharm companies are with monograph's, what if

"PROVIGIL tablets contain 100 mg or 200 mg of modafinil and the following inactive ingredients: lactose monohydrate, microcrystalline cellulose, pregelatinized starch, croscarmellose sodium, povidone, and magnesium stearate"

is of course a misnomer clause as HPBCD is a formulations excipient technically.. but if you read the patent they actually incorporate this into a true oral dosing system, and by using 20-50% HPBCD complex it allows for a decent enough potential that allows more to pass through correctly.. 5x oral availability..

Plus the patent being completed in 2001 along with the various other important ones and all the magic happening in 2002, right before the release of modafinil into trials. I'm not sure if this is good to pass up yet..

I let it mix for 8 hrs( not equillibrium but eh, class) and took 200mg complexed orally- the taste was nearly completely removed it was odd, still there but within 15 minutes the effects are decently prevalent. Ill take the other 200mg liquid dose I have later and report back..

Pharm companies aren't allowed to lie on monographs - if there was HPBCD in there you would see it on the ingredients list.

I also think that all this hype about non-branded drugs being shit is a load of crap.

Just look at how many people fucking buy 4x the price Nurofen plus assuming it is better...

The answer is to just eat the totally bioavailable prodrug adrafinil in the meantime instead.

I tried to complex it a few times but with hit or miss results, the binders+ water actually caused an absorption of it and a "slurry to form". I have never been able to get it to form a clear solution from having it constantly stirring. I suppose pure modafinil+ centrifuge is necessary but still it was worth a shot. regardless I have been taking a PDE stack varying of the following ~2-3x a day of 500mg artichoke extract tablets, 250 nef( sometimes 200-400 pram), 200mg curcumin, sang shen zi extract- 500mg capsules made( mulbus albus)(aka mulberry) with some decent results alongside 10-30mg noopept daily with varying 200-600mg modafinil doses.

Alongside this occasionally small small, ~ 1-100mg of memantine (just some specks) sublingually and I have noticed some DA activity, but even at small doses memantine has a somewhat depersonalizing factor, I have found lately with this smaller dose that the next day, and the day after the modafinil's effects are attenuated but still....

I have also tried lower doses of proglumide with modafinil, e, adderall, varying psychadelics, having varying results in terms of euphoric potentiation( as I take ~ 5mg oxycodone x3-4 daily the opiate potentiation becomes decently apparent.)

In my quest to recover modafinil's original effects I have found some interesting methods but no apparent winner besides the PDE+ noopept combo... still hpbcd and cephalons complex must be more explored i feel like..