• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Grapefruit juice and the potentiation of Benzodiazepines

rizmatter

Bluelighter
How much to drink? (in glasses)
When to take before administering? (e.g half hour)
Carry on drinking it throughout ?
etc.

I know it may also be highly subjective - so personal experiences would be helpful.

Listen i know there's alot on how grapefruit juice potentiates benzo's. But not how to do it properly. Have a look yourself, there's no clear cut advice on how to get the most benefit out of ones benzos using gf juice

IMO GFJ has never had any effect whatsoever on benzodiazepines, I sincerely doubt that it potentiates benzodiazepines to any significant degree. There's a little sticker about GFJ on the package insert for my triazolam and temazepam, however my alprazolam RX says nothing about GFJ, despite it's extreme similarity with triazolam, as they are both triazolobenzodiazepines.

The only tried and true way to make benzodiazepines work better is to not take them so frequently.

^ I would have to disagree. I feel like drinking a glass of 100% grapefruit juice when I take benzos makes them last maybe an hour or two longer. It could be placebo though.

this reminds me of the myth that surrounds tripping and vitamin c. people drink oj and get all excited and think theyre tripping harder, or there tripping again drinking oj after they already plateaued. im with trich, i think its a placebo deal, but its good for you so its not gonna hurt. the only way ive found to increase a trip (aside from increasing doses) is to smoke alot of potent ganja and youll keep bringing back the waved of intensity. on any other drug i can smoke a few bowls back to back. when i trip and i smoke it blows it out of the water. i think if OJ or GFJ in this situation were to have the benefits people claim, it would be significant to notice.

one advice i can give is dont fuck around with maoi inhibitors. they will make you trip longer and harder hands down, but there are way too many things you could consume with that inhibition in effect which could cause serious health problems. i think anti depressants ssri's are a prime example. always gotta be careful potentiating drugs with other drugs just bc of the silly yet possibly fatal interactions that could occur.

with benzos, doing more will get better results for the moment, but the next time you redose its gonne take more and eventually you wont even get high from benzos, youll just need them to stop your world from coming down around you.

so yes, TRULY the only way to get the most from your benzos is space em out. i have a rule that if i do some on a monday, i wont until at least friday, to be safe. every 5 days seems to work. but i do get the desire to redose inbetween those days, i just dont bc i know if i give in, its gonna fuck me worse than letting an east side crackwhore give me stds and let her pimp rob my house after shes done infecting me. Lol...benzos are a tougher cookie than opiates in my book. i can handle doing poppy pods once a week and never have an issue with dosing too soon. once in ahwile it would be nice, but i can make myself wait. with benzos its harder to put on the backburner of your brain. benzos become the song that is stuck in your head that you just cant stop thinking about. they become top priority if u give them a chance. be safe my friends!

Here's a source backing up my claims that GFJ has no significant effect in potentiating alprazolam.

The effects of repeated ingestion of grapefruit juice, an inhibitor of cytochrome P450 3A4 (CYP3A4), on the pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of both single and multiple oral doses of alprazolam, a substrate of CYP3A4, were examined. In study 1, eight healthy volunteers ingesting 600 ml/day water or grapefruit juice for 10 days took a single oral 0.8-mg dose of alprazolam on the eighth day. Plasma drug concentrations were monitored up to 48 h after alprazolam dosing together with evaluation of psychomotor function. Grapefruit juice altered neither the plasma concentrations of alprazolam at any time points, any pharmacokinetic parameters, nor the majority of psychomotor function parameters in subjects. In study 2, 11 patients with anxiety disorders receiving alprazolam (0.8-2.4 mg/day) ingested grapefruit juice (600 ml/day) for 7 days. Blood samples were collected before and during grapefruit juice ingestion and 1 week after its discontinuation together with an assessment of clinical status. Grapefruit juice altered neither the steady-state plasma concentration of alprazolam nor the clinical status in patients. The present study shows that grapefruit juice is unlikely to affect pharmacokinetics or pharmacodynamics of alprazolam due to its high bioavailability.

tricomb would it help with etizolam? i take those once in a while and adding gfj to my diet would probably be beneficial anyways.

^I've never tried etizolam, but I really doubt that GFJ does much for potentiation of benzodiazepines, but I'm basing this off past experience with my RX's (triazolam, temazepam, alprazolam), and even though the first two had the sticker about GFJ on the bottle and package insert, I noticed absolutely nothing at all when adding GFJ.

But yeah, it's probably good for your diet so might as well.