• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin bad heroin cause flesh eating bacteria to kill a user?

Sad Sister

Greenlighter
How common is it for user to die from skin popping? My brother was an addict for 30 years and was on methodone. He was on maintenance and stopped due to cost. He then proceeded to use street shit and developed an infection. He went to ER and was given antibiotics. Taken back next afternoon, diagnosed with FLESH EATING DISEASE and died on operating table. He was goneown 24 hours.

His wife died possibly of same thing 6 days later.

Was it stuff a bad supply? If needle shared, can her infection actually be delayed 6 days? My family have so many questions.

What country did he live in? If its the United States what state? that will have an impact due to the different kinds of heroin. As far as how common that is. its not unheard of I have read a few accounts of it on the internet but have not known anyone personally who died. i do know that its very hard to treat and most die from it quickly like your brother. I am sorry for your loss

i am moving this to other drugs. OP, if you can provide a region or country where you live, mods might be able to move this thread or direct you to a more specific regional thread.

sorry for your loss :(

Here in WA there was a bout of merca (antibiotic resistant staph infection) not too long ago. Some speculated in the in the black tar heroin going around, which is difficult to verify due to the distributing organization's adversity to quality standards.

I know for a fact it is very easy to spread an infection thru sharing needles, and incubation times do vary from person I person.

I am sorry for your loss <3

I caught MRCA last year, at this EXACT time. I was lucky as hell that they found out what it was, because they were about to send me home when they decided to run a last series of tests. Came back positive for MRCA, and I will say from personal experience, that is one hell of a serious infection. Not only is it resistant to most antibiotics, but it also has a good chance of popping back of if not treated aggressively. I ended up staying in a hospital for over a month. It was painful, depressing, and all out destructive. I had caught it through using the same syringe multiple times (a huge NO NO). Always use clean works, that includes not just syringes, but caps/spoons/cookers, cottons (better yet, micron filters), and water. OP, I apologize for your brothers death, it's truly tragic.

i don't even know what to say.
I'm sorry. this is awful.
try and keep your head up.

My brother lived in the central coast California. It started as an abbesses and he thought it was a sider bite. It least that is what he told me. The doctors lanced it and sent him home with antibiotics. The next day he collasped at home, diagnosed with the flesh eating disease and died on operating table.
The doc said he found needle holes in skin and a lot of black holes under skin. The corner said result from skin popping. How can they tell?

I am so sad and miss our daily conversations. Since his wife, my sister-in-law, died 6 days later, their kids are now ophans. If she used same dirty needle, why didn't she caught it same time?

Is there other cases of this out there?

Wow, im sorry to hear about your brother that is tragic :( ive never heard of anything like this so im sorry if i sound ignorant but what exactly is "skin popping?"

Im really sorry for your loss.... im trying to kick heroin and am trying to get thru withdrawal as i type rhis so my family doesnt go thru the same thing =\

Skin popping is like going in the subcutaneous tissue instead of muscle or IV I believe.

Skin popping is like going in the subcutaneous tissue instead of muscle or IV I believe.

Copied from wiki for those who dont knoow wjat it is-

Skin popping is a method of administration for the use of drugs by injecting or placing the substance

or drug under the skin. [1] It can include subcutaneous placement or intradermal placement though is also rarely used to mean intramuscular injection. It is however as a term distinct from the meaning of intravenous use or other methods not through the skin. Skin popping increases the duration of the high one gets from drugs such as cocaine. The sites where skin popping with cocaine has been performed have an area of central pallor surrounded by bruising (ecchymosis). This pattern is due to the vasoconstrictive properties of cocaine acting locally at the injection site with hemorrhage occurring in the surrounding tissue. Skin popping puts one at risk for developing secondary Amyloid Associated (AA)

Amyloidosis. Tetanus has also been associated with skin-popping [2] as has botulism.

Wow, Sad Sister. I am terribly sorry for your loss. And I am at a loss for words. My prayers are with you and your family. God Bless. Stay safe.
Gwen

Yes I am very sorry as well. I imagine that it wasnt caused so much by the cut (though it's possible with levemisole being used nowadays), but more by unhygienic behaviour, such as sharing needles, re-using needles, sharing spoons, using dirty water etc.. It was most likely MRSA, doctors can sometimes exaggerate things when it comes to drug use, but I could be wrong too.

^^^
I dunno I have heard of a flesh eating virus that kills a lot of tar users who IM shots. Well when I say heard I mean read on a forum but still.

I did a little searching and found this abstreact on pub med it deals with cocaine injection though
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7065797

This is a wikipedia article about the flesh eating virus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necrotizing_fasciitis

I am going to keep searching for the article I saw on the tar users who caught it but I have to go to class

Last edited: