Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

A way to rid my anxiety of picking the wrong psilocybe mushrooms

the_ketaman

Bluelighter
Ok I have been interested in psilocybin containing mushrooms for a long time and over the years ive built up a pretty good knowledge of what to look for in P.Cubensis and other mushrooms growing in cow-pats(blue meanies mostly). Ive never actually been on a pick myself but I plan to do my first when the season kicks in up here. We get more of the summer mushrooms here rather than the pine/woodchip growing varieties, the season for just north of Sydney would be starting around November am I correct? It seems that noone does them though, psychedelics arent very popular here it seems, acid is hard enough to find, pretty much non-existant.

With all of the knowledge I have I am still absolutely terrified of picking the wrong shroom so I have devised a plan to keep things as safe as possible. I just need a few opinions on whether these are viable ways of determining that I do in fact have P.Cubensis. I also posted this here as more people will see it and I wont get as many replies in the mushroom thread, I have found most of the people that reply in there are from down south getting subs or way up north with a slightly different season to us down near Sydney.

So im going to go for a pick and see what I can find(as I said there arent many shroomers around I dont think so hopefully plenty for me) but when I get the mushies im going to do a spore print to see whether the spores are the correct colour(purple/brown if I remember correctly), check for blue/purple bruising, then put each individual mushroom in a cup with a small amount of warm water to see if the water turns blue. Should I chop the mush up? As far as I know, no other deadly mushrooms turn blue(yes poisonous ones but not deadly).

All this of course is after doing all the regular tests. Im just taking every precaution possible. It may sound like overkill to some but dying from eating the wrong mushy is one of my worst fears and mushrooms are one of the psych's I really want some experience with.

If anyone can put me in the direction where I can find some info on NSW and Psilocybin mushrooms(not where to find them, just local documented info) id be so greatful. Ive been interested for years but never had the means to go hunting but I feel like the mushroom gods are calling me and want me to experience their beauty. Im so interested in all kinds of mushrooms(not just psychactives) I think they are beatiful things so if there are any Mushroom enthusiasts out there then please get in contact with me :) This is not sourcing, Mushrooms aside from Psychoactives greatly intruige me and id love to learn more from someone who knows whhat theyre talking about.

Sorry I had a few valiums so I might edit this tomorrow but any info would be appreciated :) Sorry for the length of this.

Last edited:
There is a fantastic forum that will answer all your questions but I'm unsure whether by posting the link I will be breaking any rules, although i would class this as HR, mods?

if you're talking about the shroomery? by all means.

edit - i really think there is some good info in our mushroom picking thread (http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/606933-Mushroom-Season-2012)- i think the best advice we can give is to go picking with someone who is familiar with what to look for, but cubensis are pretty distinctive IMO once you've seen a few. there are some pretty effective ways to identify these psilocybes, such as the blue bruising and spore colour. but if you are worried, the good folks at http://www.shroomery.org/ will ID photos for you.
there are some people there that really know their stuff.

Last edited:
Thanks for that mister :) I dont think its against the rules posting that forum on here but to anyone curious you will find it with a simple google search. It is a very useful site and most of the seasoned shroomers would know what it is.

Im trying to steer away from using opiates so much and explore DMT, mushrooms and a few RC's that I havent tried(and that sadly ill more than likely never see) before I get too much older and have more things to worry about. The LSD I had the other night made me realise that the harder drugs are fun every now and then but ive been wasting so much money, time and health on speed and heroin :/ Psychedelics remind me of my goals in life and help me figure out whats good for me.

Anyway back on topic, hope im not just talking shit guys but I would just like to know all I can. Things that all the other forums/sites dont mention.

When is the season for Sydney? Does Salt in the Air(from the ocean) affect the mushrooms growth? Do they grow at only a certain altitude or will almost anywhere with cow paddocks grow shrooms? I have so many questions but im interested in the specifics on the NSW Central Coast(not where I live but where ill be picking) area specifics, I just wish I knew someone experienced around here to answer all my questions as im truely interested in the mushroom not just trying to get fucked up :/

EDIT: I replied too slow but yeh thanks for the link on The Shroomery :) And thx to everyone else for replying but im open to all the help I can get :)

Last edited:
We regularly direct people to shroomery since we don't do IDs here - it's even in the first post of our mushroom thread :)

As spacejunk said, 1st choice would be going with someone experienced, 2nd best is to read all you can before picking and then upload pics of the shrooms and the spore prints to shroomery for ID.

If you're still not 100% sure you have the correct ones then do a small test dose with someone else keeping an eye on you.

If you can't find answers in the Mushroom Season 2012 thread then shroomery has a larger and more active community of mushroom-enthusiasts than we do so check them out ;)

Ok thanks guys, I will keep you all updated. Can I just ask one question so I dont have to go sifting through the mush thread.... When does the Syd season start?

Take care people :)

If your super keen, a trip to Byron Bay can prove fruitful during summer ;) The road into byron has some lovely farmland which is usually littered with people mushroom picking and locals beeping or shouting words of encouragement! http://www.[COLOR="#FF0000"]*********[/COLOR].com has a lovely forum, full of very knowledgeable individuals who can assist in any mushroom related questions :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok thanks guys, I will keep you all updated. Can I just ask one question so I dont have to go sifting through the mush thread.... When does the Syd season start?

Take care people :)

Subs are just finishing and Cubes will be starting as it gets warmer.

If your super keen, a trip to Byron Bay can prove fruitful during summer ;) The road into byron has some lovely farmland which is usually littered with people mushroom picking and locals beeping or shouting words of encouragement! http://www.**********.com has a lovely forum, full of very knowledgeable individuals who can assist in any mushroom related questions :D

Great intentions and a good plug for a great site but unfortunately we can't link to that one here as they sell legal highs etc.

^ thanks VB.
victorski, we only allow a very select few websites to be linked on here - sources of information are ok, but commercial sites selling things (other than a very select few 'harm minimisation' tools - such as micron filters) cannot be linked to.
for any clarifications, please check out the Bluelight Users' Agreement

Go buy it from someone who knows what they are doing :p

Seriously though I was in your situation last year wet season, bought some that had been hydroponically grown apparently, certainly did the job anyway.

I was in your situation a few years ago.

I read everything and looked at every picture to do with identifying the species I was after. Asked q's on shroomery and 'topia. Sometimes the cultivators on the shroomery have a holier than thou attitude that can put some people off. Don't let that get to you.

If conditions are right and identifying features are right you will go fine. If you are still worried, good pictures will help others identify it for you so you are 100%.

Good luck and happy shrooming.

Subs are just finishing and Cubes will be starting as it gets warmer.

This^^^. Don't think cubes grow naturally in Sydney. You will have to go up the coast.

Typical Cubensis. Note the ring on the stem covered in black spores.
Psilocybe_Cubensis.jpg

486849967_fdd5699155.jpg

Not my photos.

I live in Sydney and have only picked around the northern NSW region where sunshine after rain and cow poop means something lovely for the picker indeed ;)

^Are those golden tops?

I don't seem to remember there being bumps on the cap but then I haven't gone-a-pickin' for a while as well...

One issue with wild mushies is possible contamination by pathogenic bacteria/mould that may not kill you but may make your trip very uncomfortable. Any sus looking blemishes or obvious contamination and throw it as you can get very sick. One guy altered the pigmentation on his back from excess mushroom consumption.

was it still like that when the mushies wore off? i usually get reptile skin but it sheds :)

i always found benzos and dry gin kills my anxiety