Bluelight

Thread: Skype is not safe anymore. Is Chatcrypt a safe way to communicate?

1. Collapse Details
    Skype is not safe anymore. Is Chatcrypt a safe way to communicate? 
    Skype is not safe anymore:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...rc=nl_cuzheads

I think about using chatcrypt instead. Is there anyone who can tell me if chatcrypt.com is good or bad, safe or unasafe?

2. Collapse Details

Way to go Microsoft. Good thing I left skype alone a few months ago haha.

3. Collapse Details

ha, "the 'going dark' problem." that when people are able to step outside of the view of their telescreen?

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by nyashin View Post

I think about using chatcrypt instead. Is there anyone who can tell me if chatcrypt.com is good or bad, safe or unasafe?
    Ask the makers do they comply with law enforcement requests, a few years ago everyone thought hushmail was safe until the cops came knocking and they let them look at whatever they wanted.

5. Collapse Details

if the effort put toward finding secure means of communication was simply applied to taking care in what you broadcast, the "problem" would be resolved. just don't be stupid.

6. Collapse Details

I'd love to use something different, but I tried using Ekiga and Jitsi and in both cases it turned out impossible. Jitsi is terrible, there is no support or FAQ of any sort (well, technically there is a FAQ on the website, but it's meant more for developers than users).

7. Collapse Details

It's Microsoft. You shouldn't be surprised.

Pretty much any service you use that is owned by a US company is stuck to giving up your info to the government when they have to. There really is nothing that is safe, because the information that leaves your router is hitting a US router/host somewhere along the line, which makes your data visible to sniff. The only way you can semi-protect yourself is using an encryption scheme the government can't crack.

8. Collapse Details

Cannabis Discussion
    I'd go further and say any service that is not open-source and relies on communication with a third-party server is prone to compromise. I hope S&T mods are paying attention and close this damn thread since the same poster started the same thread months ago, it's still on the first page of S&T threads, and it already has a bunch of informative responses.

9. Collapse Details

Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by nyashin View Post

I'm using http://www.chatcrypt.com/ since years, and it works flawlessly (at least till when the new design applied). I've asked a tech geek friend and he told me that encryption is secure and unbreakable. Cheers.