• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

potentiating methadone

Status
Not open for further replies.

lman_15

Bluelighter
I'm on 55mg of methadone a day, it's basically what I need to get by without any sort of buzz. Once I hit 55mg I found I experienced 0 withdrawal and decided to just maintain my dose at that cuz I'd eventually have to taper down so I figure the lower amount I can get by on the better. Anyways, I wouldn't mind catching a buzz and don't want to use so I was wondering if anyone knows of any potentiators that I can use to potentiate my methadone dose? I've used grapefruit juice and naproxen before for other opiates (oxycodone when taken orally), do these 2 things work for potentiating methadone? Lastly, what other things will potentiate methadone?

Cimetidine (Tagamet) inhibits the enzymes that are responsible for metabolization of the drug, and is really the only true and readily availible potentiator IMO. Anything else adds to and alters the effects of the drug, which will subjectively intensify the perceived effects but fail to actually or directly magnify the drug's potency.

I assume you are a seasoned user, but even so, be careful.

I've been told by a long term methadone user that benzos potentiate methadone.
But benzo interactions can kill.. So this can be very dangerous.

Would it even be possible to potentiate such a long acting opiate without a rebound effect during the day, and re-potentiating???

Is tagamet a prescription drug? Or can u buy it anywhere? I'm looking for potentiators that wouldn't show up on my drug test. So cannot be ain't opiate, benzo or any form of cocaine. ideally looking for medications u can buy anywhere or certain supplements.. So would grapefruit juice not work? What about naproxen? Lastly, do you need a prescription for Tagamet?

Is tagamet a prescription drug? Or can u buy it anywhere? I'm looking for potentiators that wouldn't show up on my drug test. So cannot be ain't opiate, benzo or any form of cocaine. ideally looking for medications u can buy anywhere or certain supplements.. So would grapefruit juice not work? What about naproxen? Lastly, do you need a prescription for Tagamet?
No, its OTC, works the same way tums would only longer, lowers PH levels in stomach to allow med to hang around longer. Go to dollar store, walmart, pharmacy, and pick up some tagament or tums, grapefruit is too little to do, I wouldent bother. Stay away from acidic things, soda etc... amino acids and b-vits help alot

Fish oil
B-complex
multivitamin
tagament
L-tyrosine
ANY Benzo
lastly, best way to potentiate methadone is more methadone

I'm just wondering I read somewhere that tagament is not longer OTC in Canada, can anyone confirm or deny this?

If it is no longer available in Canada, is there another drug with similar effects that can effectively potentiate methadone?

White Grapefruit Juice should be similar to tagamet, as bergamottin, dihydroxybergamottin, and naringin (in white GFJ) all are inhibitors of the CYP enzymes responsible for methadone elimination, and it is used in a manner similar to lower-dose tagamet for this purpose.

One thing to watch out for with tagamet is its tendency to induce gyno in men, while opiates, especially methadone, reduces testosterone levels. I can't see the two being a positive long-term combination for keeping your manhood, especially if you like to munch out and gain weight on the methadone.

Tagamet is not a drug I would recommend taking every day, there's a reason rantidine and proton pump inhibitors have replaced it in clinical treatment of GERD.

I am currently waiting on getting Soma, a friend of mine told me Soma will be able to potentiate methadone, so I was able to get some, I will have it in my possession within the next 7-10 days. Anyways I have some questions:
1. What will Soma show up as, on a drug test?
2. Do standard drug tests (the ones used at methadone clinics), test for Soma and would it show up?
3. Can Soma give false positives for other drugs?
4. How much Soma is safe to take at one time?
5. How much Soma would I need to use in order to potentiate my daily methadone dose?
6. How much of a difference will I feel?

1-3. No drug test questions at BL, sorry.
4-5. With that methadone dose and your tolerance, I would say start with 175mg (half a tab), and do no more than 350mg a day at first, or 525mg (1.5 tabs) depending on your GABA tolerance. Soma potentiates the CNS depression of opioids heavily...
6. You will feel more of a nod, and a dirtier, less euphoric opiate high, more of a combined downer high, imo.

I've occasionally experimented with potentiating the analgesic and/or sedative effect(s) of my methadone - particularly when I get fibromyalgia flare ups - for almost three years now. I have found the following drugs/herbal supplements/etc. to significantly potentiate the sedative effect my methadone (in order of potency):

1) Alprazolam (Xanax - benzodiazepine)
2) Clarithromycin (Biaxin - macrolide antibiotic)
3) Erythromycin (ERYC - macrolide antibiotic)
4) Pregabalin (Lyrica - anticonvulsant)
5) Quercetin (Herbal Supplement - flavonol/flavonoid)
6) Chamomile Tea (Herbal Tea)
7) Bupropion (Wellbutrin XL - antidepressant)

Those are the ones I've tried, but I'm sure there's others. I've tried diphenhydramine but I can't tolerate the combo, it feels like I'm high and hungover at the same time.

I was interested in the bioavailability of Soma based on method of administration. Does anyone know the oral bioavailability of Soma ? The intranasal bioavailability of Soma? Also, if I wanted to potentiate my methadone by using Soma when should I ingest the Soma relative to ingesting my methadone (before, after, etc.)?

if I wanted to potentiate my methadone by using Soma when should I ingest the Soma relative to ingesting my methadone (before, after, etc.)?

On no! Tagamet is not available up here in Canada, Eh? For precisely this reason. IMO Tagamet never much potentiation.
Here In Canada it's good old DXM, or Gravol. My favourite and it might depend on which province or territory you reside, is Norflex or Orphedrine. This is available behind the counter you must ask the pharmacist. It is highly anti-cholorgenic so buyer be aware. Personally, I think you cant get high on Methadone, period after you have been taking it for a time. That also defeat the purpose of being on Meth but I am not judging.

Taking Tagemet 1 hour b4 and another 1 ,1 hour after dosing will and does work wonders for makin my 100mg dose of methadone last 24 hours instead of 7-8 hours....

Sticking to the right diet can also potentiate methadone. More specifically, if you make an effort to avoid foods which are known to lower the blood's PH level (and ingest those which increase it), that right there should affect (increase) methadone bio-availability/absorption. This is not easily achieved with a typical western diet due to the large amount of processed junk we call a meal - possibly because of the fast paced society we take part in - being a major cause of acidic blood. Nevertheless, the following link is a detailed list of acid/alkaline forming foods. And I suggest everyone interested in not only potentiating methadone, but also looking to try some healthier living take a good look at it because a low PH blood level has been shown to increase the risk of cancer.

Read it, bookmark it, PDF it, whatever. It's a handy piece of information for health nuts and opioid aficionados alike - http://rense.com/1.mpicons/acidalka.htm

Also regarding diet - choosing alkaline forming foods which are known to have a constipating effect (e.g. unripe bananas) is an even better option if you're looking to potentiate your liquid handcuffs. For those wondering, as bananas ripen, their starchy flesh is converted to fructose/fruit sugar (hence the sweeter taste). This is known to have - in contrast - a laxative effect.

I'm just wondering I read somewhere that tagament is not longer OTC in Canada, can anyone confirm or deny this?

If it is no longer available in Canada, is there another drug with similar effects that can effectively potentiate methadone?

Cimetidine is now prescription only in Qc, I remember about 12 years ago there were Tagamet boxes on the shelves but now they are gone. Pharmacists are really suspicious when you get a script for it and you have a benzo or opiate script (or both). Just saying.

I know this thread is old but if it can change the perception of a canadian who thinks cimetidine is impossible to acquire...just do what i told my GP : prazole ending antacids do not shit for me and cimetidine was the best thing. And that is a white lie for me as it is the truth.

(I'm also about to find out what it does for methadone...I am scripted a huge dose (1200mg a day) (1 600mg tab bid) a day for active stomach ulcers.)

I remember it working real well for xanax, turning it into a long acting benzo yet milder in effect.

messing with methadone and potentiation sounds like a good recipe for accidental death.

isnt the point for beingo n methadone not to get you high dude??? potentiating methadone is VERY VERY VERY dangerous even if you are on it for MMT. That said, have to respond to one post in that closed thread and I believe it was by Limpet. Limpet, if it was he, said he believed I might have been arrogant in commenting that the majority of BLers could not understand something. Sorry, burt BL is a Harm Reduction site, not a synthesis site and certainly not a chemsitry site. When this forum was iniated, after about a month or so of lobbying, the powers that be warned that it would probably provide alot of infromation that would be unfathomable to most BLers.

This not only has to do with the scope of the site, but in the overwhelming age of our members. If anyone cares to look into it they will find that most of our members are very young.essary to understand what was said but again, it is a good indicator. So, what I said was indeed the truth. It is not about pedestals, or arrogance, but rather a factual statement in terms of replying to the statement that "100 BLers" say "methadone is euphoric."Anyway, all that claptrap being finished, good post and thread TChort. It has been done to death on BL but nowhere nearly in depth as you are going and I like that alot.

People often make the assumption that similar subbstrates, and same enzymatic paths automatically lead to poetentiation. Inhibtion is a difficult thing for alot of folks but as a general rule, and it is a pretty relaxed rule, same and similar do the job. Methadone though has unique attributes in so many ways, and even so many ways within its metabolic path.

The flavanoids in grapefruuit juice, the subject you touched on in the other thread, being a prime example.

Fact is though, serum levels can be potentiated with methadone, as with just about any substance. The issue then becomes discernibility. Subjectivity is the overiding issue here. IF serum levels can be increased, and they can be in certain ways, then it all comes down to is it worth it because of effort and risks

Another issue I see is safety. I mean, with the ultra-heavy sedation methadone causes, combined with longest half life of any opiate/opioid, why bother? To increase sedation? How could you? To compensate....for...LACK OF EUPHORIA (hahah)? Now that IS a great reason but with the otherwise heavy pschoactivity taking place with methadone by itself ...

See, glutethemide potentiating codeine, or even promethezine potentiating codeine is something that will make a real difference on so many levels. Aside from the documented clinical facts there is an undeniable pschoactive component. Codeine on its own leaves alot to desire, yes? Methadone on its own also leaves something to be desired but in a much, much, much less discernible way.

Anyway, that is meandering from your point which is attemtping to verify potentiatos more than evalusating the utility of engaging them so mauybe it is a moot point here.

Woah slow down, I know this message has values for others but knowing this has value for a lot of people, for example :

1) Like me you are slow tapering off methadone and there are rough days, tapering off at your own rhythm, and I gotta say some days are good some are bad
2) People who are being tapered off much quicker than they should because of some retarded american system reason, or even Canadian in some cases, where such advice is harm reduction
3) People with a opiate tolerance to the stronger ones, H, oxymorphone, hydromorphone, ketobemidone etc. who happen to grab some of the 1mg methadone pills, also even the 5 and 10mg ones, but not the 25mg ones, please. (Those pills are for pain and yes there are 1mg ones which are bizarrely being given more and more instead of oxycodone, morphine and the usual oral dosages of IR opiates.

Status
Not open for further replies.