• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Nutritional & Herbal Supplements for Anxiety!

Umm... it's hard to find ANY cases of valerian dependency. It's tough enough to find kava dependency. Finding it as severe as you get with benzos? I don't buy it. Show even ONE case study.

Those drugs have limited GABAergic effects, are almost entirely limited to sodium channels.

Valerian did fuck all for me except give me a sloppy, chocolate coloured, inconsistent, overpowerring smelly shit the next day. Cross that off the list.

So what's the go with this l-lysine? How much did the op take or have others taken to produce an anxiolytic effect & do you build tolerance. Any info on l-arginine as well much appreciated

I wanted to create this thread as a place for people to look for information on different herbs and nutritional supplements for treating anxiety.

I hear Lithium can work wonders for some people suffering from anxiety.

Being a one year sufferer of MDMA/BZP induced anxiety I have just ordered some Lithium so will report back how it works out.

I was warned you have to be quite careful with Lithium and start on low doses and work up.

Apparently it tricks certain glands in some way and can sometimes help restore a better body balance. The exact science behind it i dont fully understand but I hear some very glowing reports.

Thank you all for the great information and questions. :)

I have been taking 1-3grams of Lysine daily (I don't take l-arginine with it, but probably should). I make sure to take it on a very empty stomach (like an hour or two before breakfast for example). I take it once or twice a day (1-1.5 grams each time). Note: I already have a very high protein diet with meat almost every meal and lots of protein supplements/shakes/bars. I have also been taking a magnesium supplement with dinner most nights. Besides these two new supplements, I have been taking a fish oil supplement and a multivitamin for a while now. I've managed to reduce my need for benzos down to about .5mg daily. I have had almost zero withdrawal effects and can even catch a buzz off of 1mg again (In fact even .5mg has a nice relaxing buzz to it again ;) ).

I've also tried herbal remedies such as Kava Kava and don't really like these options. I don't have personal experience with Valerian root, however. I feel that these herbs are less effective than benzos while having more undesirable side effects/withdrawals than supplements. I guess I don't like this middle ground. I have had a lot of success working on my anxiety from a nutritional point of view (i.e. better diet, more exercise, and supplements as needed).

I have been using melatonin about twice a week for sleep (10mg right before bed). I have had great success with getting good sleep on it and thought it post a few interesting articles I found.

Melatonin:

Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2012 Jul 10.
Anxiolytic effects of the melatonin MT(2) receptor partial agonist UCM765: Comparison with melatonin and diazepam.
Ochoa-Sanchez R, Rainer Q, Comai S, Spadoni G, Bedini A, Rivara S, Fraschini F, Mor M, Tarzia G, Gobbi G.
Neurobiological Psychiatry Unit, Department of Psychiatry, McGill University and McGill University Health Center, Montreal, QC, Canada.

Abstract
Melatonin (MLT) is a neurohormone known to be involved in the regulation of anxiety. Most of the physiological actions of MLT in the brain are mediated by two high-affinity G-protein-coupled receptors, denoted MT(1) and MT(2). However, the particular role of these receptors in anxiety remains to be defined. Here we used a novel MT(2)-selective partial agonist, UCM765 to evaluate the involvement of MT(2) receptors in anxiety. Adult male rats were acutely injected with UCM765 (5-10-20mg/kg), MLT (20mg/kg) or diazepam (DZ, 1mg/kg). Anxiety-related behaviors were assessed in the elevated plus maze test (EPMT), novelty suppressed feeding test (NSFT) and open field test (OFT). UCM765 at the dose of 10mg/kg showed anxiolytic-like properties by increasing the time spent in the open arm of the EPMT, and by reducing the latency to eat in a novel environment in the NSFT. In the EPMT, animals treated with UCM765 (10mg/kg) or MLT (20mg/kg) spent more time in the open arms compared to vehicle-treated animals, but to a lesser extent compared to DZ (1mg/kg). In the NSFT, all treatments similarly decreased the latency to eat in a novel environment compared to vehicle. UCM765 and MLT did not affect the total time and the number of entries into the central area of the OFT, but unlike DZ, did not impair locomotion. The anxiolytic effects of UCM765 and MLT in the EPMT and the NSFT were blocked using a pre-treatment with the MT(1)/MT(2) antagonist luzindole (10mg/kg) or the MT(2) antagonist 4P-PDOT (10mg/kg). These results demonstrated, for the first time, the anxiolytic properties of UCM765 and suggest that MT(2)-receptors may be considered a novel target for the development of anxiolytic drugs.

PMID:22789661

Curr Med Chem. 2012;19(3):428-37.
Emerging targets for the pharmacological treatment of depression: focus on melatonergic system.
Catena-Dell'Osso M, Marazziti D, Rotella F, Bellantuono C.
Psychiatric Unit, Department of Experimental and Clinical Medicine, Polytechnic University of Marche, Ancona, Via Tronto 10/A-60126 Torrette di Ancona, Italy. [email protected]

Abstract
Depression is a disabling condition which adversely affects a person's family, social and work life, and that is associated with a heavy burden to society. Although the available antidepressants have shown their effectiveness and have greatly improved the prognosis of the disorder, the current management of depression is far from being satisfactory. In the last years, besides the classical research involving serotonin, norepineprine and dopamine, non-monoaminergic mechanisms have been explored in the attempt to discover new antidepressants. One such innovative approach focused on melatonergic system, as melatonin is involved in synchronizing circadian rhythms, which are known to be altered in depression. This narrative review aims to provide a comprehensive overview of different aspects of the melatonergic system, including biochemical and anatomical characteristics, impact on the sleep/wake system, and implications for the treatment of depression. In particular, the observation that melatonin may promote sleep and synchronize the internal clock led to development of high-affinity agonists for melatonin receptors (MT). Agomelatine, a naphthalene bioisostere of melatonin, which combines a potent MT1 and MT2 agonism with 5-HT(2C) receptor antagonism, has been found to be effective in the treatment of depressive and anxiety symptoms associated with major depression, with rapid and beneficial effects on the regulation of sleep continuity and quality. If substantiated by further evidence, the observation that melatonergic system dysfunctions contribute to the development of depression, as well as that the antidepressant action of agomelatine is linked to its binding properties to MT1/MT2 receptors, might open new avenues for the discovery of antidepressive agents.

PMID: 22335516

Neurobiol Aging. 2012 Jun;33(6):1124.e13-29. Epub 2011 Dec 16.
Melatonin plus physical exercise are highly neuroprotective in the 3xTg-AD mouse.
García-Mesa Y, Giménez-Llort L, López LC, Venegas C, Cristòfol R, Escames G, Acuña-Castroviejo D, Sanfeliu C.
Institute of Biomedical Research of Barcelona (IIBB), CSIC, IDIBAPS, Barcelona, Spain.

Abstract
Alzheimer's disease (AD) is a devastating age-related neurodegenerative disease with no specific treatment at present. Several healthy lifestyle options and over-the-counter drugs that it has been suggested delay the onset of the disease are in an experimental phase, but it is unclear whether they will have any therapeutic value against AD. We assayed physical exercise and melatonin in 3xTg-AD male mice aged from 6 to 12 months, therefore from moderate to advanced phases of AD pathology. Analysis of behavior and brain tissue at termination showed differential patterns of neuroprotection for the 2 treatments. Both treatments decreased soluble amyloid β oligomers, whereas only melatonin decreased hyperphosphorylated tau. Melatonin was effective against the immunosenescence that 3xTg-AD mice present. Voluntary physical exercise protected against behavioral and psychological symptoms of dementia such as anxiety, a lack of exploration, and emotionality. Both treatments protected against cognitive impairment, brain oxidative stress, and a decrease in mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA). Interestingly, only the combined treatment of physical exercise plus melatonin was effective against the decrease of mitochondrial complexes. Therefore, melatonin plus physical exercise may exert complementary, additive, or even synergistic effects against a range of disturbances present in AD.

PMID: 22177720

J Pineal Res. 2011 Oct;51(3):270-7. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-079X.2011.00895.x. Epub 2011 May 26.
Analgesic effects of melatonin: a review of current evidence from experimental and clinical studies.
Wilhelmsen M, Amirian I, Reiter RJ, Rosenberg J, Gögenur I.
Department of Surgical Gastroenterology, Herlev Hospital, University of Copenhagen, Herlev, Denmark.

Abstract
Melatonin is an endogenous indoleamine, produced mainly by the pineal gland. Melatonin has been proven to have chronobiotic, antioxidant, antihypertensive, anxiolytic and sedative properties. There are also experimental and clinical data supporting an analgesic role of melatonin. In experimental studies, melatonin shows potent analgesic effects in a dose-dependent manner. In clinical studies, melatonin has been shown to have analgesic benefits in patients with chronic pain (fibromyalgia, irritable bowel syndrome, migraine). The physiologic mechanism underlying the analgesic actions of melatonin has not been clarified. The effects may be linked to G(i) -coupled melatonin receptors, to G(i) -coupled opioid μ-receptors or GABA-B receptors with unknown downstream changes with a consequential reduction in anxiety and pain. Also, the repeated administration of melatonin improves sleep and thereby may reduce anxiety, which leads to lower levels of pain. In this paper, we review the current evidence regarding the analgesic properties of melatonin in animals and humans with chronic pain.

PMID: 21615490

Indian J Exp Biol. 2011 Mar;49(3):211-8.
Possible involvement of GABAergic mechanism in protective effect of melatonin against sleep deprivation-induced behavior modification and oxidative damage in mice.
Kumar A, Singh A, Kumar P.
Pharmacology Division, University Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Panjab University, Chandigarh 160 014, India. [email protected]

Abstract
Sleep deprivation for 72 h caused anxiety like behavior, weight loss, impaired locomotor activity and oxidative damage as indicated by increase in lipid peroxidation, nitrite level and depletion of reduced glutathione and catalase activity in sleep deprived mice brain. Treatment with melatonin (5 and 10 mg/kg, ip) significantly improved locomotor activity, weight loss and antianxiety effect as compared to control (sleep deprived). Biochemically, melatonin treatment significantly restored depleted reduced glutathione, catalase activity, attenuated lipid peroxidation and nitrite level as compared to control (72 h sleep-deprived) animals. A combination of flumazenil (0.5 mg/kg, ip) and picrotoxin (0.5 mg/kg, ip) with lower dose of melatonin (5 mg/kg, ip) significantly antagonized the protective effect of melatonin. However, combination of muscimol (0.05 mg/kg, ip) with melatonin (5 mg/kg, ip) potentiated protective effect of melatonin as compared to their effect per se. The results suggest that melatonin may produce its protective effect by involving GABAergic system against sleep deprivation-induced anxiety like behavior and related oxidative damage.

PMID: 21452601

Last edited:
Rosa damascene herbal extract:

Study of sedative, preanaesthetic and anti-anxiety effects of Rosa damascene herbal extract in comparison with diazepam in rat.
Rezaie, Ali, Mosavi, Ghafour, Ahmadizadeh, Changiz, Jafari, Behboud
Tehran University Medical Journal; Jun2011, Vol. 69 Issue 3, p179-184, 6p

Abstract
Background: Rosa damascene has a special role in the Iranian traditional medicine due to its sedative, anticonvulsant and analgesic effects. Regarding its alkaloid, flavonoid and other organic compounds, this plant has always been used to reduce nervousness and treat depression and chronic insomnia. In the present time, synthetic drugs with sedative and anxiolytic properties are used for such problems but due to their sideeffects and economic issues, the significance of natural medicines with fewer sideeffects is of interest. Considering the importance of sedative and anxiolytic effects of Rosa damascene, we decided to compare this plant with synthetic drugs of the same properties. Methods: Two different groups of male Wistar rats received either Rosa damascene extract in doses of 150, 300, 450 mg/kg or Diazepam and dimethyl sulphoxide in doses of 1.2 mg/kg intraperitoneally 30 minutes before assessing the sleep duration, sedation and preanesthetic effects induced by intraperitoneal ketamine, 40 mg/kg. The antianxiety effect was evaluated by using an elevated plus maze and a rota rod. Results: The results showed a meaningful increase in the period of sleep induced by Ketamine (P⩽0.01) and also a meaningful increase in time spent at the open arms of the device in the group receiving Rosa damascene extract (P⩽0.01). Conclusion: The results showed that the Rosa damascene extract dose 450mg/kg has sedative, preanesthetic and anxiolytic effects (P⩽0.01).

ISSN: 16831764

I was warned you have to be quite careful with Lithium and start on low doses and work up.
My sister was prescribed lithium for bipolar disorder. I remember her mentioning the doctor periodically had to check blood levels to make adjustments to the dosage. Make sure you run this by your GP. Lithium is a tricky medication.

High doses of vitamin D3. Not a cure by any means but it helps me.

I did a quick search on vitamin D3 and could only find one article that found anxiety benefits. The study is looking at seasonal depression, so its hard to generalize its effectiveness. The study is posted below.

Vitamin D[sub 3] enhances mood in healthy subjects during winter
Lansdowne, Allen T. G.
Psychopharmacology; 1998, Vol. 135 Issue 4, p319, 5p

Abstract
Abstract Mood changes synchronised to the seasons exist on a continuum between individuals, with anxiety and depression increasing during the winter months. An extreme form of seasonality is manifested as the clinical syndrome of seasonal affective disorder (SAD) with carbohydrate craving, hypersomnia, lethargy, and changes in circadian rhythms also evident. It has been suggested that seasonality and the symptoms of SAD may be due to changing levels of vitamin D3, the hormone of sunlight, leading to changes in brain serotonin. Forty-four healthy subjects were given 400 IU, 800 IU, or no vitamin D3 for 5 days during late winter in a random double-blind study. Results on a self-report measure showed that vitamin D3 significantly enhanced positive affect and there was some evidence of a reduction in negative affect. Results are discussed in terms of their implications for seasonality, SAD, serotonin, food preference, sleep, and circadian rhythms.

ISSN: 00333158

I also found a much more recent study looking at healthy adults taking vitamin D3 supplements with no significant changes. This second study seems more representative of the other studies I came across. I will continue looking into vitamin D3 and appreciate the suggestion.

Effects of Vitamin D Supplementation on Cognitive and Emotional Functioning in Young Adults - A Randomised Controlled Trial
Dean, Angela J.
PLoS ONE; 2011, Vol. 6 Issue 11, p1-7, 7p

Abstract
Background: Epidemiological research links vitamin D status to various brain-related outcomes. However, few trials examine whether supplementation can improve such outcomes and none have examined effects on cognition. This study examined whether Vitamin D supplementation led to improvements in diverse measures of cognitive and emotional functioning, and hypothesised that supplementation would lead to improvements in these outcomes compared to placebo. Methods/Principal Findings: Healthy young adults were recruited to a parallel-arm, double-blind trial conducted at The University of Queensland. Participants were randomly allocated to receive Vitamin D (one capsule daily, containing 5000 IU cholecalciferol) or identical placebo capsule for six weeks. All participants and outcome assessors were blinded to group assignment. Primary outcome measures assessed at baseline and 6 weeks were working memory, response inhibition and cognitive flexibility. Secondary outcomes were: hallucination-proneness, psychotic-like experiences, and ratings of depression, anxiety and anger. 128 participants were recruited, randomised and included in primary analyses (vitamin D n = 63; placebo n = 65). Despite significant increases in vitamin D status in the active group, no significant changes were observed in working memory (F = 1.09; p = 0.30), response inhibition (F = 0.82; p = 0.37), cognitive flexibility (F = 1.37; p = 0.24) or secondary outcomes. No serious adverse effects were reported. Conclusions: Our findings indicate that vitamin D supplementation does not influence cognitive or emotional functioning in healthy young adults. Future controlled trials in targeted populations of interest are required to determine whether supplementation can improve functioning in these domains.

ISSN: 19326203

Thought about a SSRI? Escitalopram (Lexapro) is approved for anxiety.

I'm personally looking for something anxiolytic to adjunct my sleep/use to comedown.

Suvorexant (MK-4045) may be of interest to you, its an orexin antagonist likely to be approved soon.

You can go get California Poppy Extract tincture, Valerian Root those are legal and will help. I do a lot of research in plants, herbs etc and the people at your local nutrition store are helpful!

Last edited by a moderator:
Please do not take lithium without consulting a physician. The side effects can be quite serious.

Lysine is available in large amounts from any non-grain (wheat, rice, corn), non-nut (almond, hazelnut) non-oilseed (hemp, sesame) food containing a lot of protein. Grain, nut and oilseed proteins tend to be lysine deficient. Meat, cheese, eggs, cashews, pumpkin seeds, peas, and soy are dietary sources. Taking supplements of amino acids is, quite frankly, silly.

Last edited:
Taking supplements of amino acids is, quite frankly, silly.

This, x100. It is much more cost effective (& tasty) to make dietary modifications rather than eat capsules of semisynthetic amino acids. (note the "natural source" amino acids can still be produced from fermentation et cetera)

I can confirm L-lysine works, so does magnesium for anxiety. Hope to reduce my clonaezpam dose.

L-lysine has worked successfully for me. I have sustained .5mg of Xanax once at night for several weeks now with no withdrawal.

Gyrospeck & retard - How much Lysine do you use a day?

I use either 1g or 2gs of Lysine every day. I take it on an empty stomach once or twice a day (1g each time).

Ok. I been using 1gram once a day for about two weeks haven't noticed any difference. I'll up the dosage. Been taking arginine 3 grams every day as well. Only reason ive been taking just 1 gram of lysine is i can only find the caps & their expensive to be taking 6 caps a day

Edit - found some powder, time to experiement

Last edited: