• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Good, non-addictive anti-anxiety drugs ?

It is indeed anxiolytic, but it's also many other things. It's pharmacologically messy and unreliable compared to the direct and accurate anxiety suppression of the GABA agonists--i.e. not ideal.

i've had both reactions from THC. more often than not, yes, it is anxiolytic, but just recently it magnified my anxiety tenfold and it wouldn't calm down until i had two sixpacks of beer in me. all in all, it's way too unpredictable to recommend for this.

Parnate is a stimulating drug, not something used for typical anxiety (which necessitates something which slows down brain functions). Nardil is though.

Precisely. .25mg Alprazolam= (about) 25 grams valerian root in my experience.

:?:!Wonder why it was prescribed then :! :?

eh.
tranylcypromine is a first generation MAO inhibitor, with preference over MAOa but also with considerable inhibition over MAOb.,
it is by no means a 'stimulating' i.e. sympathomimetic drug. it comes with a shitload of really severe side-effects and dietary restrictions, the most noteable being that tyramine isn't properly metabolized anymore and can lead to a potentially life-threatening hypertensive crisis if consumed.
however, this class of drugs is highly effective, much more so than any other type of antidepressant, when it comes to managing anxiety and unipolar depression especially the treatment-resistant kind.

Last edited:
I had a very interesting interaction with another gp this morning. Refused me a sedative anti-histamine, but was quite happy to prescribe me diazepam. :\

Hey. Ask your doc about propanalol. Its a non addictive anti-anxiety medication that is not a benzodiapine.

^ it is a good non addictive ant anxiety medication. This medication is also a bp med so be sure to get up slowly out of bed and dangle your feet for a few min before jumping up. If you take a hot shower be careful of added low blood pressure. It is a safe drug for anxiety you just have to watch for side effect when you start it.

^ thanks for that, guys, I'll check it out and mention it to psych next week.

^^ Is the orthostatic hypotension side effect of propanolol really that bad?

The only beta blockers I've taken are Metoprolol Succinate (Toprol extended release) and Nebivolol (Bystolic), which are selective for the beta1 receptors in the heart (cardioselective), whereas propanolol (Inderal) is nonselective, making it better suited as an antihypertensive rather than a physical anxiety drug.

I prefer metoprolol, as the succinate formulation lasts all day with the one dose, which is quite a feat with beta blockers, as most of the good ones (cardioselective) don't have a half life longer than 5-10 hours. Having a beta blocker be active for roughly 24 hours after a one-off prn dosing, say, for a panic attack, it prevents rebound hypertension. If you're taking a beta blocker just for HBP, though, then a short half life is acceptable when taking it twice a day.

One thing I really like about Metoprolol Succinate is that it's a tablet than can be easily cut (it's scored down the middle), despite being extended release; there is no XR mechanism, rather, the succinate preparation makes it release a lot slower than its tartrate (Toprol) preparation. I usually take 10-12.5mg of Metoprolol from the 50mg succinate tablets, any more than that and the beta blocker side effects (depression, poor blood flow, physical fatigue, and shortness of breath during strenous activities) start becoming too prominent, so I can't imagine the nasty feeling one would get from dosing 200-400mg of metoprolol/day for hypertension.

I am thinking that maybe alpha agonists might be better for treating physical anxiety? Does anyone have any experience with Guanfacine extended release (Tenex)? Guanfacine seems to have less side effects than the superpotent clonidine, especially less fatigue and cognitive impairment.

eh.
tranylcypromine is a first generation MAO inhibitor, with preference over MAOa but also with considerable inhibition over MAOb.,
it is by no means a 'stimulating' i.e. sympathomimetic drug. it comes with a shitload of really severe side-effects and dietary restrictions, the most noteable being that tyramine isn't properly metabolized anymore and can lead to a potentially life-threatening hypertensive crisis if consumed.
however, this class of drugs is highly effective, much more so than any other type of antidepressant, when it comes to managing anxiety and unipolar depression especially the treatment-resistant kind.

Parnate is a stimulant. You'll find tons of anecdotes about its simulating effects, not to mention its class of drug.

:?:!Wonder why it was prescribed then :! :?

It can be prescribed as an anxiolytic agent. For some people anxiety manifests as an inability to be outgoing and/or egotistical if you will, perhaps calling for a more stimulating drug.

Last edited:
Unbelievable! Started a thread about good, non-addictive anti-anxiety drugs and here I am on valium, which my gp prescribed this afternoon. I've never taken valium before so my curisoity got the better of me. I must say, it's giving me heart palpitations and making me feel very irritable. So much for anti-anxiety. Back to the health food store tomorrow!!

i would say etizolam but the non-addictive part is gonna be down to each individual. i can take them or leave them, but i do notice a marked improvement with my anxiety issues with this drug. it really is a good medication and easy to get hold of but i realised that some people could grow to rely on it, so dunno if it fits the bill.

Last edited:
Do yourself a biiiig favor and only take it a couple times. Then try every other drug before getting on that stuff.

i would say etizolam but the non-addictive part is gonna be down to each individual. i cant take them or leave them, but i do notice a marked improvement with my anxiety issues with this drug. it really is a good medication and easy to get hold of but i realised that some people could grow to rely on it, so dunno if it fits the bill.

That is the antithesis of non-addictive, both physically/psychologically. Run out of etizolam with a tolerance and you'll get worse anxiety than before, along with muscle tension/twitchyness, and depending on your dosage it can become medically dangerous to W/D from cold turkey.

Assuming your talking about taking them on a daily basis.

That is the antithesis of non-addictive, both physically/psychologically. Run out of etizolam with a tolerance and you'll get worse anxiety than before, along with muscle tension/twitchyness, and depending on your dosage it can become medically dangerous to W/D from cold turkey.

Assuming your talking about taking them on a daily basis.

ive edited my post, i meant to say i can take the mor leave them. only ever take them once a week usually

ive edited my post, i meant to say i can take the mor leave them. only ever take them once a week usually

Thats all and fine, thanks for the clarification.

Still, i think benzos are just dangerous for anxiety. Your far more likely to get addicted to an already really addictive group of drugs when your self medicating, even legally w/ a script. Like your psychologically/physiologically predisposed to the incredible relief they can provide, making them more addictive to people with anxiety than those w/out. But if the individual can keep their use responsible they work very well.