• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Good, non-addictive anti-anxiety drugs ?

Yep, let my earlier post be an advertisement to not get hooked on benzos. Few people have mentioned Hydroxyzine, how does that stack up against something like xanax? I know there two different drugs but could one possibly replace xanax with hydroxyzine? Anyone have experience with xanax & hydroxyzine?

Anyone tried Tranylcypromine (Parnate)?

That being said, anyone got any other suggestions?

Last edited:
I visited my gp yesterday to ask if I could be prescribed some non-addictive anti-anxiety drugs, such as atarax, or maybe some other slightly sedative anti-histamine. She was really rude and suggested CBT instead. Then she suggested an ssri, which I've just withdrawn from. She was hopeless, so I've requested an appointment with the visiting psychiatrist, who will be able to suggest a suitable drug for me.

I'm quite annoyed with myself because I've found etizolam to help me immensely, and that is dangerous! So much for my good intentions, lol. My gp is very unhelpful, she has zero compassion for anyone with mental health illnesses. Anyway, let's hope I can get some good news from the psychiatrist next week. In the meantime I'm going to health food store this afternoon and having a good chat with the assistant.

What's cbt? Is everyone addicted to benzos?

I feel if you find the right one that you don't wanna abuse, you could be fine. Any thoughts on this?

I'd just get pissed doing CBT, I'm not the type that enjoys or finds therapy helpful. I had therapy for multiple problems, most notably anger which did jack shit for it. However, for those who can get anything out of doing therapy, it might be a good idea, but not as quick as being prescribed something.

^That's just indicative of a bad doctor-patient relationship. Don't knock CBT until you actually try it with a good doctor. I'm sorry to hear about your doctor refusing to prescribe a non-scheduled drug and attempting to put you back on a drug you just went through efforts to discontinue. The only advice we can give you is to find a better doctor.

I recommend everyone who has anxiety, or any mental issues for that matter to invest in seeing a therapist over trying to medicate with drugs. If you do end up using drugs to medicate, I still highly recommend a therapist. A few session with a therapist has done more than drugs would ever have done in over coming some problems I have. Anti-anxiety meds don't fix anything, it is you who has to fix what is going on. In many cases I watch people be on medication for years and if they chose to use therapy sooner, they wouldn't have had to be on medication for that long. Even in a span of a few months there can be drastic changes in how you deal with life. Its worth looking into and if you do get meds, it even more important to look into, so you can avoid being on them for that long. Just use them as a way to help make things a little easier so you can start to work through the problems to a point where you can taper off them, and not need them anymore

I know sometimes it is hard to find the right doc, but they are out there. I had a little trouble finding a doc, but the one I have now is amazing. She helped me out of a severe depression faster than I could have ever dreamed. Shes helped me in alot of other areas on top of that as well in a short span.

It is important to make sure that you don't just go to therapists appointments and expect that to solve everything. You have to put in the work out side of the appointments or nothing is going to change. Be truthful and open with you counselor because they will give you the best advice when you let go and just open up. It is soo nice having someone who wont judge you for whatever the hell you say, and you know that it will never leave the room. So taking advantage of the counselor by opening up and doing as much work as you can outside of the appointments will make it so therapy doesn't sound so stupid.

I know somany people who think therapy is such BS, but none of them has ever given it a chance. they choke up in front of the counselor, battle with them, expect the appointment it self to make everything ok, do nothing at all to improve their life outside of the appts, etc. Thats why they think therapy is BS, because they don't do a damn thing.

Realistically non-addictive anti-anxiety drugs don't really exist. Herbs and natural stuff like valerian root are only non-addictive because they are so incredibly weak and ineffective that they can't even become addicting. 2g's of valerian root wouldn't even provide the same anxiety relieve as .25mg's of xanax.

^That's just indicative of a bad doctor-patient relationship. Don't knock CBT until you actually try it with a good doctor. I'm sorry to hear about your doctor refusing to prescribe a non-scheduled drug and attempting to put you back on a drug you just went through efforts to discontinue. The only advice we can give you is to find a better doctor.

Yep, I have an appointment to see someone different next week and have requested to have my gp changed. I feel pretty crap this week and am angry that she couldn't prescribe me anything to help. Keep finding myself reaching for the etilaam

Do these exist? 8(

You see, I don't want to take benzos - I don't want to take anything I could become dependent on. I need to stay away from *anything* addictive - no compromises. =D

I laughed my balls off when I saw your post...SORRY, :( , but it wasn't really what you said, just your use of the animated smiley and frown-y faces you used and how you used them in your question. The ironic thing is, it is you that is "addictive." You aren't going to find some magic, miracle drug that is free from any and all addictive properties. Try to change the way that you think and see how that works for ya. Also, if you need advice on benzo's: IME clonazepam works best for in a controlled taper. If you have weak will with these type of drugs (from your post, it sounds like you do...), then give the clonazepam to someone you trust and have them control your taper. Be aggressive with your taper if you can. If not, then don't. This is all IME, ok. Thanks and good luck! <3

P.S. Valerian root extract works as a natural type of "benzo" feeling. But DON'T abuse that either, 'cause it'll whip you in the ass just like anything. :\

True that.

Yep, I have an appointment to see someone different next week and have requested to have my gp changed. I feel pretty crap this week and am angry that she couldn't prescribe me anything to help. Keep finding myself reaching for the etilaam

Hey, I'm in a similar position to you. I have anxiety and have been self medicating with etizolam. It's really helped me control the anxiety, but I don't want to be dependent on them, and was starting to worry about the memory loss and other long term probs.. So, went to my g.p. They prescribed me some ssris, which I'm at the moment to broke to even get, but am kind of sceptical of them. My g.p said therapy would be a waste of time and that meds are better.. He said I seemed too happy for CBT. (probs as I had taken a mg prior to the appointment).

Good luck with your new g.p.

Anyone tried Tranylcypromine (Parnate)?

Parnate is a stimulating drug, not something used for typical anxiety (which necessitates something which slows down brain functions). Nardil is though.

Realistically non-addictive anti-anxiety drugs don't really exist. Herbs and natural stuff like valerian root are only non-addictive because they are so incredibly weak and ineffective that they can't even become addicting. 2g's of valerian root wouldn't even provide the same anxiety relieve as .25mg's of xanax.

Precisely. .25mg Alprazolam= (about) 25 grams valerian root in my experience.

I have been taking a natural supplement called Theanine-serene and honestly it is amazing! It has theanine, GABA and other stuff and it honestly works as well as any benzo I have ever taken.

L-Theanine is super. As it crosses the blood-brain barrier it increases your levels of GABA in the brain, unlike taking plain GABA which doesn't cross the blood-brain barrier. As L-Theanine also increases your levels of dopamine, it is often regarded as a "relaxing nootropic".

another thing worth mentioning is picamilon. apparently it's a chemical bastard out of niancin and GABA (another one of these russian creations) and is supposed to have appreciable anxiolytic effects. i have no idea if this is true or if it'll cause dependence, since i've never taken it, but i've been contemplating buying some giving it a test.

yeh, that's pretty interesting xxxyyy. Will look into it. What's everyone's opinion on some regular small/medical doses of cannabis throughout the day?

What's everyone's opinion on some regular small/medical doses of cannabis throughout the day?

Too unpredictable and complex to be a true 'anxiolytic' for most people. The effect profile is far from clean, pharmacologically.

It works for me tho.

that really depends highly on a) your subjective reaction to THC, b) the kind of weed/hash you have and c) your tolerance to it.