• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Good, non-addictive anti-anxiety drugs ?

citalopram nearly ruined me, felt like i was plugged into the mains for 4 weeks.
2 hours sleep a night, every noise was deafening. Tried sertraline for a few weeks but same there for me
Been relying on meditation, gym and swim, niacin was a life saver for me.
Tried all sorts, the kava sounded promising, but brand i got wasn't the best.
Now poppy tea does the trick but. . .
The benzo's i just can't help but abuse so i don.t touch them.

I'm on Lamotrigine for anger and anxiety among other things and it works really well if you don't get any rashes. It also has barely any side effects once you're up to the normal dosage which take a long time, but there isn't much of a risk when you miss a dose.

30 mins of cardio exercise destroys all of the above..

problem is most ppl don't do it consistently..

30 mins of cardio exercise destroys all of the above..

problem is most ppl don't do it consistently..

Have to disagree here. It helps alot, ( for me 1-3hr hard cardio 3-4x weekly 13-20m bike rides on trails/dirt road) but is no panacea. It definitely does alot for anxiety, but not a cure all.

Still, if its not something you've yet to try/implement definitely give it a go. It works, just no panacea/better than all the above. Definitely fits the non-addictive category for most people though.

Low dose ketamine works wonders.

Yeah, bumps of ketamine and an OC20... ehm..

Phenibut perhaps, 500-1000mg 2 or max 3 times a week in the morning, though some people can get dependent on it more quickly than others.

Small amounts of an atypical neuroleptic like olanzapine (Zyprexa, 2.5 or 5mg), this can be especially helpful for sleep.

I like kratom, it is a pleasant and light anxiolytic when I dose it right. I can take it twice a day for weeks on end without getting significant tolerance or withdrawal, but YMMV, and don't do it if there's a chance that it leads you to other heavier opioids.

Some excellent recommendations for everyone, here. Currently looking into buying some Rhodiola rosea. See how it goes. :)

I find bacopa monnieri is quite effective for anxiety. It is an ayurvedic herb similar to ashwhagandha, but is generally less sedating. It also has the added benefit of improving memory. Swanson's do a good extract, check it out.

There are no really good anti-anxiety drugs that also are not addictive. You're looking for a pill that you can take that will neutralize your anxiety. Common sense would say that such a substance that can take all of your worries/cares away would be super addictive. Thusly, no legal or OTC anti-anxiety aid are gonna come close to the effects of a benzo.

With that said, there are a few that I can recommend:

Hydroxyzine - Which is a prescription antihistamine, can help you relax and alleviate some mild anxiety. It is prescription but it's super easy to get from a doctor, being that the abuse and diversion potential is pretty low. I got prescribed this at the nut-house one time and actually found it worked ok.

L-theanine - You'll find it in the supplement aisle of your local wal-mart. A nurse at the clinic recommended it to me. Again the effects were mild, but present. It might help curb some of your anxiety.

Ethanol - While we all know that alcohol is both extremely unhealthy and addictive, if used in moderation it can help with anxiety. I'm talking 2-3 beers max. Anything more than that will just be detrimental

Hope this helps

There are no really good anti-anxiety drugs that also are not addictive. You're looking for a pill that you can take that will neutralize your anxiety. Common sense would say that such a substance that can take all of your worries/cares away would be super addictive. Thusly, no legal or OTC anti-anxiety aid are gonna come close to the effects of a benzo.

True for most, but there are some like lamotrigine which I don't feel anything from, but does the job. Another example that I would personal stay away from is some serotonergic drugs like zoloft, which can have a lot more side effects than lamotrigine. Also, unlike benzodiapines, lamotrigine act indirectly on glutamate and aspartate by acting as a sodium channel blocker. I consider it quite safe drug unless you get one of the very unfortunate side effects which is very rare.

ashwagandha, lemon balm, holy basil, valerian, jamaican dogwood, skullcap, magnolia, kava...etc

The threads titled non addictive drugs not herbs which you most likely get addicted to them anyway lol & if someone can name a non addictive drug which has no side effects then name one lol that's right ya cant. Closed lol

The threads titled non addictive drugs not herbs which you most likely get addicted to them anyway lol & if someone can name a non addictive drug which has no side effects then name one lol that's right ya cant. Closed lol

This post is so naive on so many levels.

->Many drugs are derived from herbs or plants, and lots of them are psychoactive on their own.

->Most of the suggestions give have been for substances which are not physically addictive. Anything can be mentally addictive dependent upon the individual.

->Every sort of medication has some kind of side effect profile, though many are very benign. Also it wasn't even posed as part of the original question.

Try adding helpfully to what was a serious question from the OP, not suggesting their thread be closed based on logic which has no thought put behind it.

That's not true in the slightest, and no one ever said anything about no side effects. Hydroxyzine, as I suggested earlier, is not addictive and you dont even really build tolerance to it either, and there are others.
I just realized that's what my little girls gets prescribed for teething. Can that be bought otc?
No, it's RX only but it's not scheduled cos there's no abuse potential.