• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Glutethimide - any experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowy

Bluelighter
Hi!

I just wonder how many of you made experiences with G. and how it was. :)
Does it produce a strong high like many barbiturates? How long lasting is G.? What are the usual recreational dosages?
Is the CYP2D6-inducing effect strong and has a noticable effect on codeine coadministration?
What are the usual side effect of high doses?

Thanks for any thought about that!

You probably won't find many on here old enough to have tried it. It's not used anywhere anymore. You'll sooner find some pharm diamorphine or methaqualone then a Doriden.

The cool thing about glutethimide is that in addition to being a strong downer in it's own right, it induces CYP2D6 like you said, and blocks the primary way opiates are metabolized by glucuronidation at the 3-hydroxy to the inactive morphine-3-glucuronide. This means that in addition to making codeine stronger, it makes it last much longer too. It might work for other opiates too, even non-prodrugs like morphine or hydromorphone.

I'd really like to try the doors and fours combo, maybe with some lean to make some pancakes and sizzurp:D. Even better use Vicodin, oxy or even Ultram instead. I think I read that the original 'load' was like 4 tylenol#4(240mg codeine phosphate) and 2 Doridens(1000mg). Although I've never tried it nor has anyone I know, it sounds kind of risky.

The downside is I think it's about as toxic as amobarbital when adjusted for potency differences, and it metabolizes into something twice as strong. Although I don't think it has barbs' fuck up tolerance pattern, where the tolerance to the euphoria rises faster than to the toxicity, the lethal dose(2 grams) never rises above twice the non-tolerant lethal dose, and the tolerance to the euphoric effects levels off at 1.5 grams, leaving a razor thin line between feeling good and death. Could be wrong about that with Doriden.

Kind of wish it was around still, but in this age of oxy hysteria and seeing how stupid people can get with pills, probably for the better, as much as it pains me to say it. I mean I hate that it's one of the DEA's rare victories but I could see the bodies stacking up if it potentiates oxycodone like codeine.

I haven't personally tried glutethimide but it's supposed to be very similar to barbiturates and has a similar addiction and dependence profile (with severe withdrawal symptoms and even withdrawal-like symptoms while people were still taking their normal dose of the drug, like seizures, hallucinations and delirium). Glutethimide is also apparently a strong CYP2D6 enzyme inducer. When taken with codeine, it enables the body to convert higher amounts of the codeine to morphine. The sedative effect of glutethimide also adds synergistically to opioids (and other CNS depressants). In the US glutethimide was upgraded to Schedule II because of people dying from combining it with codeine. From everything I've read and heard about glutethimide it sounds pretty dangerous to me.

I did hits from 1989-2007. Later yhey were capsules made by a pharmacist in his basement probably mixed with seconal and possibly tuinol. When I began both brand name and generuc were available and easily so esp. around NyC's lower E side. They rocked. The high lasted several hours. Esp brand name USVs. They did have a problem with bootlegs though the real ones had little freckles so I could tell when someone took me for a fool (I was only about 18). Ive been asked if I am interested in them resently, however, the individual gives little info and continues to ask for my order. If they were eeal Im sure he'd sell out relatively quickly. Sorry u never got a chance to use them. I keep a positive thought the internet will one day reunite me with them again. All my best.

Last edited:
Just turned 41 and had several years use with hits (cibas and codeine) (dotiden and codeine). Was by far the best high ever and kasted the day! It was one doriden tablet and one codeine 4 (or two cideine 3s if not available) so we generally did a two on two. It would consist of eitherfour or six pills. Nevergot a shot at qualludes which I would love to change. I see it on some sites every now and then but not sure if it is real.

Pure euphoria and bliss, like a mystical experience, nothing can compare to Doriden and Codeine, or "hits" as they were known in my area of NJ. Sadly Doriden was discontinued in '93. Nothing comes close to them.

I've wanted to try glutethimide for years, might have to get some of the cancer med aminoglutethimide and work some sandmeyer magic on it.

Also if you ever DO get any glutethimide take it only occasionally and sparingly because it fucks about with glucocorticosteroid synthesis. Mot sure if it fucks with mineralocorticoid synthesis, but it definitely can do nasty things to glucocorticoid biosynthesis.

Aminoglutethimide is a medication for breast cancer and the molecular structure is not even similar to Glutethimide (Doriden). About fifteen years ago me and a friend tried them with Codeine # 4 and no effect whatsoever. Like I said nothing compares to Doriden and Codeine, or "hits" as they were known in my area of NJ. Pure long lasting euphoria and bliss. I was doing a four on four (four Doriden and four codeine tablets) when they were discontinued in '93. I am now on methadone maintenance about twenty years now. And like I said, finding some Doriden would be like finding the holy Grail. I still dream about them to this day.

And yes I did have a few overdoses during the time when I was using them, I was revived with Narcan which brought upon instant withdrawal, terrible but a lifesaver. Never had any experience with bootlegs. The generics like HD 550 and MD 529 were just as good as the USV 354's.

I KNOW aminoglutethimide and glutethimide do not share the same effects.

And the chemical structure of aminoglutethimide is a simple addition of an amine moiety on the phenyl ring. No use taking aminoglutethimide as is, but could be subjected to chemical modification to whack that aromatic amine easy enough which is what I was suggesting.

It's really just another non-Barbiturate drug, lacking any truly meaningful significance when compared to other similar drugs like Ethchlorvynol (Placidyl), Methaqualone (Quaalude), Meprobamate (Miltown). There is slight variation from drug to drug, just like with Barbiturates or Benzodiazepines, but they were all more or less part of a medical quest to find medications as effective as Barbiturates, but with a less harmful pharmacological profile with the main issues being accidental overdose, dependence and severe withdrawal and of course recreational and addictive potential.

A major simplification would be to say that many of these drugs are non-Barbiturates in chemical structure only, their range of effects were practicalls identical and included anxiolysis, sedation, hypnosis and so on. Gluethimide had the added effect of increasing the potency of Codeine, both metabolically and through sheer depressant synergy. It was way before my time, but according to the internet there was a brief explosion of Codeine + Gluethimide use, "Dors and Fours" as in Doriden and Tylenol w/ Codeine #4.

Yes but Glutethimide (Doriden) was special because it induced a liver enzyme that made codeine way stronger and longer lasting. Like I said before it was pure euphoric long lasting bliss. Nothing can compare to Codeine and Doriden. I would give my left arm for 30 Doriden tablets. If you never experienced them you really can't comment on them. I still dream about those days.

For the record guys, I would be really surprised if we find someone who has actually taken this recently. I've been to some pretty shadowy pharmacies around the world in my life and the best I've ever encountered was Secobarbital (Seconal). This is still pretty great, sure, but you get the feeling when you buy these that they are the last remaining vestiges of the Barbiturate-type sedative days. What I mean, is there are walls of visible Benzodiazepines in different pharmacies in Iraq and India, but you have to search for anything stronger and I'm not talking about touristy areas.

I was sent a free sample of Pentobarbital (Nembutal) from India in powder form, it tasted pretty bad but it was in fact a barbiturate because I came back positive for barbs in a urine screen at the methadone clinic that I go to. It didn't last very long but I did feel it.

What exactly is Sandmeyer Magic? Like I said used Doriden (Glutethimide) and Codeine from '81 to '93 when they were discontinued by the only pharmaceutical company that still made them, Halsey Drug (HD550) and they were put on schedule 2 of the controlled substances act. When I started using "hits", as they were known as in my area of NJ, a one on one (1Doriden,1 Codeine) were 7.00, by '93 I was using a four on four which cost eighty to one hundred dollars. They were the greatest feeling I have ever felt, warm, euphoria, long lasting bliss, like a mystical experience. I still dream about them to this day. Anyway when they were discontinued every one started to use H, including myself, there is no comparison between the two, Doriden and Codeine beats everything, hands down. Nothing comes close to the Doriden and Codeine combination. They also used to call them "Cibas and Codeine" because at one time Ciba manufactured Doriden and the tablet was stamped CIBA on it. Words cannot do my beloved Doriden and Codeine justice. They were and always will be the best stone on earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.