• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

My goal is to become a long-haul truck driver, would like tips/advice if ur a driver

Stimlover22

Bluelighter
I am 22 years old now, and since I was a kid I always told people I wanted to be a trucker when I grow up. Well, now I am grown up and I want to make this happen. It's perfect for me, I am single with no kids, a lot of people irritate me and I only like hangin with a couple friends. I also hate staying put in one place for too long so the travel aspect has me eatin this idea up. I would like to find a buddy that is goin nowhere in life like myself that would possibly want to enroll in trucking school with me so we can obtain our CDL's and find a company that hires team drivers. I have been told that newbie drivers usually get only 1 week home time for awhile, and that's cool with me it's not like I have a necessity to be home.

I just need some extra motivation to do things, other than drugs. I have a CLEAN driving record + clean criminal record as well, so like I said there's not shit holding me back from doing this at the moment. Is there anyone here in the trucking industry that could give me any tips because I would greatly appreciate any hints or any tips that could really help me out...thanks mucho!

The good news is that there is plenty of jobs and the education requirements are minimal. I'm sure you already know that.

The bad news is I don't know much more than that. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

I am 22 years old now, and since I was a kid I always told people I wanted to be a trucker when I grow up. Well, now I am grown up and I want to make this happen. It's perfect for me, I am single with no kids, a lot of people irritate me and I only like hangin with a couple friends. I also hate staying put in one place for too long so the travel aspect has me eatin this idea up. I would like to find a buddy that is goin nowhere in life like myself that would possibly want to enroll in trucking school with me so we can obtain our CDL's and find a company that hires team drivers. I have been told that newbie drivers usually get only 1 week home time for awhile, and that's cool with me it's not like I have a necessity to be home.

I just need some extra motivation to do things, other than drugs. I have a CLEAN driving record + clean criminal record as well, so like I said there's not shit holding me back from doing this at the moment. Is there anyone here in the trucking industry that could give me any tips because I would greatly appreciate any hints or any tips that could really help me out...thanks mucho!

I'm in truck driving school right now. They drug test you. It goes six months back. They do a physical on you and you have to pass it. You have a lot of stuff to learn in not a lot of time then you get tested on it. If you don't pass, you go home. Then you get into the trucks and start backing maneuvers. If you start hitting shit, you go home. Then you go out on the road. If you hit shit, you go home. You have to be precise in your actions. It's no game, I can say that for sure!

Your urine and hair need to be clean of drugs. They WILL send you home if it comes back positive in anything.

It's no joke. Professional driving is a very serious job. The DoT controls all the laws and enforces all of the regulations in the FMCSR. Make sure you're really serious about it. It can change your life; it has for me so far. I can't wait to get out on the road, but I'm also going to make sure I take it safe. It can be just as dangerous as it is exciting!

I used to have a CDL Class A and went to a School in NYS for six months. Paid $6500.

Your Carrier is going to give you a skanky ass 500k+ miles Tractor. You should demand a Brand New Drivers seat because the one I got, when warmed by my bodies heat would start to stink like body fluids. Count on it. U should bring some bleach, dish soap and a brush: Should work like magic.

The Union dock workers are assholes and create a ram a dick down your throat atmosphere for drivers, but they want to get it done too, so just be yourself and if you think you are getting fucked with ( liek someone demanding you get the trailer a few inches to the left or right of the loading dock ) DO something back. But some of the lumpers, who arent union will work FOR you. Just make sure to talk and get a feel, you can both benefit from a win-win situation.

Yea, i re-read ur post, and I have to correct myself.
Because the cost of fuel is rising and carriers treating driver like shit theres a demand for drivers and the payscale is gonna go up.
Maybe the drivers will actually see the money.

And, its all gravy. You should follow your dream. I wouldn't worry about being in a truck starting and then leaving to go another destination. Theres a service sector that caters to the industry.

I'm a Teamster in Chicago part-time, a secretive local but we drive trucks, forklifts, genie lifts, condors, pretty much all the industrial machinery. On top of that we load and unload our own trucks with our fellow Teamsters. It's hard work but the best pay you'll get as a "truck driver".

I'm also looking to get into this field. I'm brushing up right now to take my written tests again - I had my class a permit last year, but it lapsed due to a legal situation.

Now, I've heard that some companies will hire you with just a permit and train you through an internal program?

I have a clean driving record and can pass a drug test, BUT I do have a criminal background, with the last charge being three years ago.

I'm wondering what the best route would be for me, to either retest and get my permit again and try to get on with a company that has an internal training program, or go to truck driving school, and get the full class a, and try to find a smaller carrier that will give me a chance with my record?

S_L, or any other drivers have some feedback?

Hello Stimlover22. I'm a truck driver for almost 5 years. I recommend you to get some trainings and courses. You will need to practice due diligence when starting your life as a long haul or heavy hauling trucker. After you finish those training and courses, you will be more competitive when you are applying for your dream job.

If anyone on this thread has decided they want to pursue truck driving as a career but don't know which trucking schools are legit, check out this website. They have a huge list of truck driving schools in every state and some good articles on choosing a good school.

Last edited:
All the Best Bro...keep the hard work on. You definitely succeed one day and that day will come soon.

If you were to get your class A CDL. I could pm some info about working for the coal mines.

It would be a good job to get your foot in the door.

You will surely get success brother. You can also check online for more information on truck hauling. You can get answers to your questions regarding driving of hauling truck.

Last edited:
Does anybody know about Northwest Driving School Las Vegas who provides drivers ed and traffic courses? My auncle says there is a good incstructor called Margaret Estrada. Does anybody know her? I am looking for derivers ed in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if a felony drug possession conviction automatically takes away your CDL A license?