• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids How long does it normally take for opiate tolerance to go down?

As just about everyone has said already, any reduction in tolerance is usually very short lived, so if you wish to keep your tolerance down you have to take a break, and then use like once every 10 days to keep your tolerance about the same.

Since most people aren't going to abstain from using drugs that much the more realistic approach is to take 1/4 of your normal dose on most days, and then take your "high dose" once every 7-10 days.

The only difference im noticing this time is that I can go a day or two without taking any and I don't go through w/d. But I think that has to due with the fact that I have the nucynta and tramadol so perhaps that's making the w/d stay away.

Depending on your habit, it can take a while to feel withdrawals from a reduced dose, whether it be taking a lowered dose of the same medication, or stopping one opioid while continuing to take others.

NMDA Antagonists can help slow down the normal speed of progression in regards to tolerance but otherwise, as the AMA has defined, Addiction is a PROGRESSIVE disease. You can take long breaks but use for a few days in a row after not using, and your old tolerance will catch up with you rather quickly. There is no end-run-around it....